Photo

Favorite Main Battle Tank

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your Favorite Main Battle Tank

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What is your Favorite Main Battle Tank???

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Add a charge ability. And a horn. Because Rhino. :V

#42 aethiraes

aethiraes
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:28 AM

Update 3.3.2 Rhinos will now charge like Zealots and deal splash damage in an area around them.

Interesting that the top two tanks right now are the beefiest ones. Qilin is the toughest non-Foehn tank and Bison is the king of defense.

#43 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:36 AM

On a serious note though. Rhino is fine. A no-special-skill all rounder is a trait in itself. Besides, it's not like they can't compete.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#44 Gameman112358

Gameman112358
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

I did a null vote. I couldn't choose between all of the tanks. Each one is soooooo good in their own ways. Mind you, I don't play PvP, so my opinion might be different than the 'norm', but here's my thoughts on all of the MBTs:

Allied MBTs

Kappa Tanks: It's the only MBT that is amphibious. That already makes it a good tank in my eyes. Not terribly helpful in all-land maps, but great on maps with bodies of water; they're great to support your navy and pressing an amphibious assault on the enemy beachheads alongside Robot Tanks. Certainly helps that they're one of the more mobile units in the Pacific Front, I think. Only thing you need to worry about is if the enemy has EMP; Kappa Tanks over water + EMP = you're losing those tanks for sure.

Cavalier Tanks: Your standard tank for the Allies. Pretty good all around tank. Tougher than both the Kappa and Bulldog, hits pretty hard, good speed, awesome quotes (Cavalier, ready to charge!), and a windup mechanic (kinda situational for tank battles IMO; it's cool that they fire faster after a period of time, and the faster RoF is noticeable, but at the same time, in large tank battles, the target would probably already be dead by the time the faster RoF kicks in. Against buildings though, it's great, since they've got the health to see the benefits of the windup mechanic). An all around good MBT that fits the jack-of-all-trades theme of the Euro Alliance (I think it's one of their themes, at least. Dunno, things might've changed the last time I remembered.)

Bulldog Tanks: The fast and furious! I like this tank a lot. Sure, doesn't have a whole lot of health (lowest out of all the Allied MBTs, but the Kappa only has 10 more health than it, so not really saying much), and you really want to bring AA support, but at the same time, it's very fast (one of the fastest MBTs), great at taking on everything on the ground (It's decent at anti-vehicle, and the fact that its flashbangs now do noticeable AoE damage to infantry compared to 3.0 alongside the usual debuff makes it great at anti-infantry roles), and it's pretty cheap for what you get out of it ($750 for a fast tank that can take on armor and infantry alike? Sign me up!). Definitely a great tank in the U.S. arsenal.

Soviet MBTs

QIlin Tanks: Big, heavily armored, dual barrels. Yeah, definitely something that would fit China's military doctrine in MO. The Qilin Tank, despite being very slow and somewhat expensive (until you get an Industrial Plant, that is), is one of the beefiest MBTs in the game, having more raw firepower and armor than most of the other MBTs. In an even fight, the Qilin Tank would beat every other MBT except the Bison Tank (The Bison Tank's auto-repair feature + very fast firing cannon makes them a match for the Qilin Tank). The 50% time on EMP is situational, since the only factions to my knowledge that use EMP are Russia and China, but it is welcomed. IMO, tied with the Bison Tank for strongest MBT in the game (Strong to the point that it was supposedly able to beat the Abrams Tank in a 1v1. I would hope that's no longer the case, considering that a cheaper, basic MBT ($950, $712 with Industrial Plant, start of the game you get it) beating a T3 tank ($1400, requires Mercury Uplink and Battle Lab, late game) would be pretty ridiculous in itself.

Rhino Tanks: Ahhh. An old classic from RA2. Despite what people have been saying about the Rhino in this thread (no special abilities, not armored enough, too slow, etc.), I kinda think that Rhinos are in a relatively good place right now. Could use a tweak or two, but that's up for the developers. They're pretty strong in terms of armor and firepower. A little slow, but other than that, all around good, and a good MBT for Russia (Really says something about how strong RA2 Rhinos were that even though the MO devs have nerfed the Rhino really REALLY hard compared to its RA2 counterparts, they're still pretty good). Their paradrop ability is what I would tweak, since by the time you get it, you can already get an Industrial Plant set up, which lets you pump out Rhinos quicker and cheaper. Perhaps make it cheaper? ($2500 to $2000) Maybe make the paradrop drop more tanks? (From 3 to 5) Maybe both? ;)

Jaguar Tanks: Not a whole lot to say about this tank, really. I don't play Latin Confederation a lot, but this is a good tank to use. Fast, decent weapon, actually has pretty similar health to the Cavalier Tank, funnily enough. Definitely makes it clear the Soviets are the heavies in MO; if their subversive faction having a basic tank that has almost the same health of the Allies' heaviest doesn't make that clear, I don't know what else will. The Desperate Driver mechanic is kinda eh for me; it does a little more damage in the heat of battle, sure, but it's not going to do a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things. Which is fine IMO.

Epsilon MBTs (Note, I don't really play Epsilon much, so I've only had limited experience with their MBTs. Mind control shenanigans + genetic mutation + other creepy things scare me away from this faction. XD)

Lasher Tanks: Apparently the toughest out of all of the Epsilon MBTs in terms of health, this is an old classic from RA2YR that's been given some stat buffs and a cool new mechanic in the form of the autoloader it has. Toughest out of all the Epsilon Tanks, good speed, great burst damage capability in the autoloader mechanic, basically unloading a bunch of shells really fast, doing lots of damage before going back to normal RoF. I can see some good guerrilla tactics coming from this, where people have Lashers charge in, fire off their shots really fast, then run off to recharge, rinse and repeat. A good unit for PsiCorps (And a unit I have nightmares about because of the Soviet Campaign; Juggernaut has thrown so many my way that my head hurts thinking about them...)

Opus Tanks: Epsilon HQ's MBT, and definitely fitting of their infantry centric theme. The Opus Tank is pretty good as a tank, being relatively inexpensive ($700, not bad), and having decent firepower. The fact that they have a garrison slot + human passengers increase their firepower is definitely a plus. Placing initiates is one way of using them, engineer rushes work with them, Brutes are good, Epsilon Adepts are goddamned annoying, Bloaticks in them make for a good suicide rush against buildings, etc.

Mantis Tanks: Scorpion Cell's MBT, Mantis Tanks are one of the fastest MBTs in the game and are very cheap for an MBT ($600, for an MBT. That's a pretty good deal) Very easy to spam given how cheap and quickly it is made, but it does suffer in the firepower and armor department because of it. You kinda have to spam it to win, since 1v1s are not in its favor. That said, it's cheap enough to be spammed, and it's ability to repair itself as its other Mantis brethren fall help make up for its lack of armor, and it can definitely make a difference in heated tank battles. Not really a fan of this tank because it requires that you spam it due to its relatively bad stats, but YMMV.

Foehn MBTs

Bison Tank: As stated earlier, this tank is tied with the Qilin Tank for strongest MBT in the game. I love this tank; Last Bastion takes China's formula and pumps it up to a whole new level, along with some other cool toys, and it definitely shows in the Bison Tank. It's got a ton of health, a very fast firing cannon (extremely fast), and nanomachines to fix the tank when the tank is low on health. It's probably one of the hardest tanks to kill, simply because it will start to rapidly fix itself if it gets too damaged (around red health it starts to fix itself, I believe), and as long as it stays stationary during the process, it's going to fix itself faster than what the enemy throws at it (unless the enemy is throwing a lot). It's very slow however, so don't use this tank to pursue retreating forces. And its slow speed means that you won't be able to use it for hit and run tactics like you could with faster MBTs. Still, one of the best tanks in the game.

Cyclops Walker: Interesting that Haihead uses a walker as its MBT instead of the usual tank and treads. Still, it's a pretty good MBT, albeit a very unconventional MBT. It's got the health of the Bison, it's got a long range, fast firing weapon (I think it has the longest ranged weapon out of all of the MBTs, and it fires fast), and it's really fast (tied with the Bulldog and Mantis Tanks, which is impressive, given its other features). And it's ability to increase its damage by 100% (!) isn't something to scoff at either, though that requires you close in on the enemy. Not too difficult, given its speed. Definitely a reflection of Haihead's tactic of doing as much damage as possible in a short period of time.

Draco Tank: This tank initially surprised me; considering its starting stats, it isn't quite what I expected from the Wings of Coronia, who is supposedly the subversive subfaction of the Foehn Revolt (Or is it Haihead? Definitely not Last Bastion, that's the Powerhouse for sure. XD), but once I used it more, now I can see why this is a Coronian MBT. It's a pretty good tank; it has less armor than the other two tanks, and it's relatively slow by itself, but it's got a lot of cool tricks to make up for this. It benefits from Spinblades, unlike the other two Foehn subfaction MBTs (I was surprised to see how slow this tank is normally; it's at the same speed as a Rhino!). Once you put it near a Spinblade, it takes the title for "Fastest MBT in M.O.", outrunning every other MBT, including Bulldogs, Mantises, and Cyclops Walkers. Additionally, the tank has a chance to release its turret into the air when it's destroyed, continuing to cause trouble for the enemy army. It can be shot down very easily, but it does mean that the opponent will have to bring AA with him unless he wants to see his army get wrecked by a swarm of Draco turret drones, so it can definitely help to spread the enemy resources thin (I imagine the drones would be good for harassing miners; they're fast and can fire on the move. The enemy will either lose his miners or waste time and money building AA). 

Edited by Gameman112358, 27 March 2017 - 12:56 AM.

#45 Zharakov

Zharakov
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  •  Everyone dies....But not everyone truly LIVES

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

^You always write very detailed stuff huh..

i like it :p

#46 Gameman112358

Gameman112358
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Thanks! :) Takes a while to make these really long and descriptive posts, but I would prefer to not skimp on the details. :)

#47 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thanks! :) Takes a while to make these really long and descriptive posts, but I would prefer to not skimp on the details. :)

The work you put into it is really helpful for the lazy ones among us. :p

#48 Destroyencio

Destroyencio

Black Snow

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Projects:Mapper for RA2 mods.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

I forgot to post here :p

Jaguar Tank. Mobile, has better armor than other mobile tanks and nice firepower, easy to mass and for decent price (800$). Favours early rushes and harassment.

The jaguar pilots (or desperated drivers however they are called) doesn't have to be underestimated either! They can pack a good punch in an Area of Effect (good vs infantry too!) and recapture unmanned vehicles which is nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users