aotr wotr livingmap

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 MaxHardy

MaxHardy
  • Project Team
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

New buildings models updated in the first post.

YJxcw6.jpgL2gYWb.jpg

uGx6xj.jpg

TFWHiR.jpg2Kmgd5.jpgIlOfX9.jpgYsKG3e.jpg

Edited by MaxHardy, 11 July 2018 - 08:39 PM.

#22 Thranduil_King

Thranduil_King
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:19 AM

Pretty good

Well done!

#23 OdoProudfoot

OdoProudfoot
  • Global Moderators
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

Nice!

#24 Thranduil_King

Thranduil_King
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

One question, this would’t be on the new release? Really?

#25 MaxHardy

MaxHardy
  • Project Team
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:02 PM

One question, this would’t be on the new release? Really?

No it won't but maybe for the next

#26 SnonJow

SnonJow
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Love what you're doing with WOTR!

Here's my idea for Gollum and the One Ring.

1. Make the Ring Hero transferable.

• When recruited, the Ring Hero should stay with the player who made him/her.

2. Make the One Ring itself transferable from territory to territory on the living map.

• When the One Ring is found in real time, it should remain in control of the person who found it when back on the living map.
  • The Ring Hero should be recruitable both in real time and on the living map.

3. Make Gollum a unique neutral entity on the living map.

• Gollum spawns on a random unoccupied territory as the game starts.
  • Gollum moves around randomly between unoccupied territories and tries to evade the players as much as possible.
  • It is possible to capture Gollum both in real time as well as on the living map: in real time if there are more players hunting Gollum, and on the living map if a single player (or team) found him.
  • When captured (either in real time or on the living map), Gollum yields the One Ring.

I think something along the lines of 1 and maybe even 2 should be doable (Biddy seems to have found a way to implement something like that), whereas 3 might be very difficult or even impossible to create.

#27 Thranduil_King

Thranduil_King
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

I love the idea, but how could you make gollum appear on the live map? and more if some territory is already yours ?, the idea that I like very much, is that the Ring-hero always remains of who got the ring. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new update, because what I liked most was playing WoTR and with new territories (with their new risks) and apart from the expanded map, it will be really epic to play. And of course, don't forget Rivendell's faction

#28 MaxHardy

MaxHardy
  • Project Team
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

@SnonJow

Your ideas are quite great but this would be very hard to code (impossible I think), WotR stuff is pretty much hardcoded. Anyway, we'll work on some Ring mechanic at some point I guess. Biddy is now working with me and he achieved some good things with the Ring.

@Thranduil_King

As you could expect, I'm trying to implement as many new maps (with hazards) as I can into WotR.

Edited by MaxHardy, 30 July 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#29 Biddy

Biddy
  • Project Team
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

@SnonJow

I already did most of what you suggested. The idea is that Gollum has a certain chance to spawn on each map (not done yet) and once the player kills him, he receives the ring and is able to transfer it to other territories (already working, altough with some workarounds). When the ringhero is recruited, he will stay as a normal unit with the army leader (already done). Once gollum is killed, he does not spawn again.

Things that are not possible:

-make the ringhero recruitable on the living map, once a certain condition is met. Heroes and units are either recruitable all of the time, or not at all :/

-Make the ringhero an army leader. Army leaders can only be recruited on the living map. Heroes you recruit during a battle can not become one.

-keeping the ring, when the unit carrying it or the ringhero is killed during a simulated battle

#30 SnonJow

SnonJow
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:27 PM

@Biddy

First of, I wanna say, great work, man. :) Yeah, I had read your thread on redoing WOTR and I know you've had some success at modifying the Ring mechanic. I just wanted to flesh out my idea, really. ^^ Though, I knew when I was writing it that most if it probably wasn't gonna be possible.

But isn't there no way anybody is gonna let you recruit the Ring Hero if its set up the way you describe it? Your opponent will simply give up if they see you've captured Gollum. Unless they have an overwhelming army and can take it from you, there is no reason for them to stay in the real time match. And if they manage to succeed in taking the Ring from you, you can just quit on them. :p

The only way to make the Ring Hero is to trick your opponent into thinking you're doing worse economically than you really are. Now that I think of it, it's really unfair (for this mod in particular) because not all the Ring Heroes cost the same. If you already control the Ring, you can easily recruit Frodo or Bilbo at the start of the skirmish. But Sauron or Smaug are going to be virtually impossible to recruit.

#31 MaxHardy

MaxHardy
  • Project Team
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

First post updated : all maps are converted to work with this extended living map.

#32 Sharkey

Sharkey
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

As Imrahil is included in Gondor's hero roster, shouldn't Dol Amroth units be buildable for Gondor?

The same possibly may be true for the elite Dunlending units for Isengard with Wulfgar, but they at least already have buildable wild men.

Edited by Sharkey, 15 August 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#33 The_Nazgul

The_Nazgul
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:03 AM

Can't wait for the new extended living map! 

As Imrahil is included in Gondor's hero roster, shouldn't Dol Amroth units be buildable for Gondor?

The same possibly may be true for the elite Dunlending units for Isengard with Wulfgar, but they at least already have buildable wild men.

I've already mentioned about Elite dunelandings, easterling cataphracts/swordsmen and of course dol amroth knights. all very useful and important but even if max doesn't add them to WOTR it's ok since you can always get them real time on each battle.

#34 Sharkey

Sharkey
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:02 AM

Can't wait for the new extended living map! 

I've already mentioned about Elite dunelandings, easterling cataphracts/swordsmen and of course dol amroth knights. all very useful and important but even if max doesn't add them to WOTR it's ok since you can always get them real time on each battle.

Apologies, so you did - withdrawn!

#35 SnonJow

SnonJow
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

Is this project still on? :)

Something just occurred to me: hoarding units in RTS skirmishes is really easy and it can have a major impact on early game. Would it be possible to prevent that from happening by allowing players to keep just the units they can pay for with their living map resources (in other words, prevent players from going below zero)?

#36 Minh Kudo

Minh Kudo
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:17 AM

Thank you for your work on this amazing mod. I suggest that there will be one fortress map for each faction:
1. Gondor - Minas Tirith
2. Rohan - Helm Deep
3. Lothlorien - Caras Galadhon
4. Erabor - Erabor
5. Rivendell - Rivendell
6. Mirkwood - Thrandruil Hall
7. Isengard - Isengard
8. Mordor - Minas Morgul
9. Misty mountain - ....
10. .....
It seems to be nice! :D

#37 MaxHardy

MaxHardy
  • Project Team
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

@SnonJow
This project is still on yes. Concerning the debts, we might take a look a it.

@Minh Kudo

Thanks. This is likely to happen at some point.

Edited by MaxHardy, 24 November 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#38 beegnyss

beegnyss
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Projects:Mapping shenanigans
  •  schmo

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

Sounds like this will be revolutionary for AOTR! WOTR is one of my favorite aspects of BFME, and honestly as AOTR has progressed it has gotten more and more broken. I mean, there are so many issues it may be hard to name them all, and they just get more game-breaking (Smaug as a army leader... may as well have Sauron himself lead Mordor).

This is probably the most promising mod to AOTR that will be made for a long time. Based of off what you have already written, it already seems perfect!

#39 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

Well... it's not really a mod to AotR - rather, Mr. Hardy joined the team a while ago. WotR is now largely functional in our current internal build. Just needs some finetuning. 

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#40 beegnyss

beegnyss
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Projects:Mapping shenanigans
  •  schmo

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:18 AM

So soon it will be incorporated into the mod i assume?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users