23 replies to this topic

#21 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert: ReGeneration

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:58 PM

I'm considering. BFME's interface, skinsizes and polycounts were very dissapointing to me (after having played DoW and R:TW), but BFME is just made for the idea that I have...
You cannot compare pissing to thinking
- SoulReaver

#22 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:08 PM

They were quite dissapointing to be honest, although I personally just like the way the game works - the ranking units and the way they can be played with, alongside all the things you can do to twiddle with units etc.
Graphically, I don't believe it was much of a step up for SAGE. It's not a considerable improvement over Generals - it's just more memory taxing when you turn the detail settings up higher than Generals went!
Dawn of War, yes it had higher polycounts and higher resolution skinning and texture jobs; but that also eats system resources like no tommorow (actually, it really, REALLY likes your memory).
I've not played much with Rome:Total War, although something tells me I probably should.

#23 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert: ReGeneration

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:16 PM

Think it'd hurt much to give infantry (even the basic footmen) polycounts of -/+ 800 and double the skin sizes? As far as I know, nobody has experienced (considerable) lag with BFME.

BTW, that thing that says you should play RTW is absolutely right. Listen to it :huh:
You cannot compare pissing to thinking
- SoulReaver

#24 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:15 PM

As far as I know, nobody has experienced (considerable) lag with BFME.

That's because it auto-shutsdown when the frame rate drops below a certain level (about 11fps, I think) - so you can't really have real lag as such, lol. I've been experimenting.

Although I've been playing a lot with SAGE with texture size and polycount, and it's not that much difference that a single model makes with it's extra detail - but lots of models calling upon various special effects certainly does.

I've been testing BfME on a variety of different platforms, and to be honest, I've noticed that the texture detail is one of the bigger causes of game lag, with texture detail on higher settings, things can start to get slower. That and antisophic filtering, which loves making things slow down when you start playing with visual effects - I can even crash the game just by summoning the army of the dead with antisophics on, on systems which well meet the minimum system requirements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users