#41 Ace22

Ace22

Commander of all that is toast

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts
  • Projects:War Games, War Games mod
  •  War Games Recruitment officer

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:25 AM

It is definately faster than the F-15, with those engines.

Why is being fast a bad thing for an interceptor?
We are talking about a type of plane that is meant to agressively destroy enemy aircraft from long ranges.

#42 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts
  • Projects:War Games Moderator (UNSC), Dragon Slayers Moderator (Link)
  •  You want a piece of me boy?

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:42 AM

It is meant to get to an area too fast to be hit by anything, slow down, kill planes, drop some bombs, get out too fast for anything to hit it, hover to reload, grab a soda, and watch the fireworks. I would say that too fast is impossible unless it is so fast that when you are 2 miles away and reach for the slow down button you are 5 miles past when your hand reaches the button.
Posted Image

#43 Guest_7th_Panzer_*

Guest_7th_Panzer_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:47 AM

A fast intercepter can not maneuver. Structural integrity problems aside, the human body can withstand, what, 9g's? The faster you are moving, the more g's you pull in your turn.

#44 Vanguard

Vanguard

Modding Guru

• Hosted
  • 2,139 posts
  • Projects:Project Raptor
  •  Stand Down Sir!

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

Inertial Dampners
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

- Vanguard

#45 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:09 PM

Tests have proven that the Human Body can withstand up to 400 Gs.

Link, I think it is impossible for it to go into hover mode. It would be classified as a Helicoptor then. It should just circle like normal Airplanes do.

We apparently cannot agree with an Idea for how the Interceptor should look, so we should probably draw what we want. to see as the Nanofighter.

P.S. nice avatar.

#46 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

I agree about the inertia because maybe you can withstand 400 gs but can you stay conscious? The plane's computer could be what limits the agility until you get the inertial dampeners upgrade. Those don't exist outside Star Trek so it would be expensive and only one or two things could use them.

Do you know what my avator is from?
Posted Image

#47 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

Suppose there was a machine that took your mind out of your body and put it in the plane. In essence you would become the plane, and therefore be able to do almost anything.

Your Avatar is From Stargate, right?

#48 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Yes it is the logo for Stargate Command.

I don't think there would be anyone willing to turn themselves into a plane unless they could turn back. Even if there is no human pilot, there is a limit to how much the plane can take. Too much inertia will make the entire thing collapse on itself. Besides, inertia dampeners would allow engines to be smaller because it would effectively lighten the plane. This would give it more freedom for different shapes because some parts, like the cockpit, engines, fuel tanks, and weapon bays, can not transform. (To be honest, I didn't figure that out until Carter on Stargate started talking about the F-302's inertia dampeners, Season Six Premiere part two, when she says that the engines are only designed to run a fighter that is lightened by inertia dampeners and not something very heavy that would give away the story if I told you what it was)

Speaking of Stargate, the air-air mode should look like the F-302.

Also, hover mode could turn the whole plane into a big disc-type thing with double rotors powered by engine thrust in the middle. The nanobots could turn into tubes that redirect the thrust from engines into the rotors. That way, you don't need an excessive amount of power or a different system. The nanobots could form the rotors.
Posted Image

#49 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

Sure, you could change back from a plane.

everything on the Nanofighter can transform, it is made of them entirely.

What does the F-302 look like? please include a picture.

I don't think Hover is possible.

#50 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:04 PM

I couldn't find an actual picture of it, but this should give you a good idea.

The fuel tanks couldn't transform because if the shape changes there is a good chance of a leak. The computer would have to be kinda big, and it probably couldn't trarnsform. Also, the engines are made of several materials and moving parts, so it would be a lot easier to make them without the nanobots. The purpose of the nanobots would probably be to form simple solid metal objects like wings.

The cockpit couldn't transform either, because the pilot doesn't transform with it.

If youre entire consciousness is downloaded into a plane, what happens to the body until you get back? How do you keep it alive?

Why wouldn't hover be possible?
Posted Image

#51 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

Crap!! The last three posts disappeared again!

Looks good, but needs some modifications. Suppose it had a fusilage with two canards.
It also would have another set of forward swept wings on top of the first two, like an X.

In the change, the computer would moniter the thickness of the fuel tanks.

The Nanobots would make another computer, transfer information to the new one, and delete the old one.

The engines wouldn't need to transform, as they can regulate their speed for different modes.

If you are just a mind in the plane, you wouldn't feel the change.

The body would keep working if the mind left, like hardware.

In rela life hover is possible, but impossible to code

#52 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:03 AM

I think the whole thing should be the nanobots transforming around a conventional center with all of the key systems in it-engines, life support, the cockpit, payload, etc. with the cockpit and engines extendable to and from the main body to accomodate different shapes. That way, there would be no need for the pilot to be downloaded and there would be no risk of fuel tank/life support rupture.

The extra wings would probably increase drag and would not improve agility, as cool as that would look. Also, the fighter is too short to have a canard, and this works because a shorter plane allows it to decrease drag on the sides of the plane when turning(because this thing is so agile it can almost fly sideways). If it is possible to code, make it flip, barrel roll, fly upside down, and fly tight circles around the target to show off when facing aircraft in air-air mode. When using air-ground missiles in any form, is it possible to make it swoop down low, fire a missile, and be momentarily vulnerable to AG attacks but not AA-only weapons?
Posted Image

#53 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:44 AM

O.K. But the Mind/Aircraft Idea is to allow the aircraft to do maneuvers that would kill a man.

The extra wings are needed because having two downward-facing wings would not allow it to do maneuveres very well.

How about it looks like the Switchblade in AA mode.

#54 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

The downward wings are angled forward like on the Su-37. The forward swept wings(FSW) increase maneuverability, and the down-swept part probably wouldn't decrease agility. Also, more stuff on the plane makes it harder to keep the stealth.

All you need to avoid killing the pilot is inertia dampeners. Like I said, they would also lighten the plane, meaning that it could go much faster on smaller engines and you could carry more weapons. Also, I think it would be more practical than downloading someone into a plane because we have a general idea about how inertia dampeners would work, but an interface between a brain and computer? Besides, this would mean the pilot needs to go into surgery every time he gets into the plane, and the brain can hold so much data that it would take days on the fastest digital connection in the world to upload to the plane, not to mention the size of the computer on the plane to store all of this. It would take something the size of NASA's control station. I would suggest remote control, but it might go out of range, have interference, and the signal could be jammed, or worse, the enemy could get the frequency and control the plane themselves. The best way to fly a plane is to have a person in the flight seat.

Remember, this plane has nearly unlimited transformation capability except the key systems. It makes sense to take the most eficient form possible. The pic I sent would probably be more maneuverable than the Switchblade.
Posted Image

#55 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:30 PM

O.K. We use Inertia Dampeners.

Well, I think that the downward-swept wings would hamper the ability to pitch.

I say give it a fusilage, and turn the wings so they are horizontal.
this would allow it to carry more missiles.

Here are the weapon stats for each mode.

Dogfight:

16x Aim 9-X Sidewinder missiles with Silicon warheads.
If one doesn't kill, expect the target to be blown a good distance.

Bomber

8x FAE IIII bombs with dimensional plasma warheads.
Kills tons of tanks with a single bomb.

Interceptor

8x ALRAAM missiles with pure energy warheads.
destroy squadrons with a single high-yield blast. any plane caught in the blast will be instantly vaporized.

#56 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:42 AM

There should be a cluster bomb somewhere. It drops and breaks into a bunch of tank-killer missiles that spread out and find a target on their own. Not good vs buildings, but six mini-rockets can take out an overlord.

I don't think it would make a difference if the wings are angled down, but they could be raised a bit so they don't angle down as much. One question: How would horizontal wings increase payload? All missiles are internal so it can stay stealth. If one missile is outside the plane, the shape would change and be detectable by radar. Besides, no matter what angle they are at they could have missiles attatched.

When you say fuselage, if you mean to make the center a little longer, I agree. Not much longer, but maybe enough to line up with the tips of the wings.

Also, add skinny rectangular air intakes under the wings and remove the center engine.

16 Sidewinders would be a bit excessive unless this unit costs about 100,000. Where did the silicon warheads come from?

The bombs shouldn't be plasma until you research an upgrade at some building(wind tunnel? strategy center? alien lab?) After all, that is pretty far beyond us.

Antimatter missiles should fit somewhere in the game. They completely eliminate ANYTHING they hit, including command centers. If it is possible to code, make the enemy simply glow and vanish without sending pieces everywhere. That's how antimatter works: If it comes into contact with matter, both are converted to A LOT of electromagnetic energy. Controlled reactions in a single power plant would probably output enough power to run the entire planet with no interruptions(unless a power line falls). Uncontrolled will vaporize anything. They keep it from leveling the power plant by generating force fields around teh antimatter, which fail when a missile hits something.

If the inertia dampeners are good enough, they might make faster-than-light travel possible. In case you don't know the theory of relativity, here is an explanation:

Whenever an object speeds up, its mass increases. The more mass you have, the more energy required to accelerate. At lightspeed, mass becomes infinite and therefore you need infinite energy. If you have inertia dampeners powerful enough to reduce the mass to zero, then it is still zero at lightspeed and almost no energy is required to move. A beam of light could probably propel you to lightspeed at this point. I think we have a way to speed up light, so a beam of light moving faster than normal coming out the back could propel you faster than light. (next is guessing) It would also eliminate the need for wings because you are no longer affected by gravity.

Bottom line? An aircraft that moves so fast you can't see it and it essentialy teleports. You could balance by making the inertia dampeners require a large amount of power, so they have to recharge back to full power before you can warp again. Also, it carries a particle beam, but you have to wait a second to use it after warping while power is diverted back to it. Can that be coded?
Posted Image

#57 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:45 AM

Mass does not increase as speed increases.

Weight does.

#58 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:35 AM

The tank-busting bomb might be a little hard to code, but should be possible.

Yes, raise the wings. I said they should be horizontal because it would look cooler.

I preposed adding the fusilage to carry all of those missiles. Fine with the intakes.

The Aircraft should cost fifty thousand along with a level five generals point.

The Silicon Warheads are a new type of explosive the Air Force just found dicovered. Five times as powerful as the leading explosive before this.

The Aircraft and all its technology become available once you build an Area 51 Forward Outpost.

Not Antimatter, but Pure Energy, which is essentially that which runs in between dimensions. It simply converts everything it touches into energy, therefore getting rid of it. Not even a GLA hole will survive.

Well, teleportation would be kind of cheesy. lets just say twice as fast as an Aurora.

As for the non-need for wings, I say keep them, because they look cool.

#59 Guest_7th_Panzer_*

Guest_7th_Panzer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:41 AM

I still think making the unmanned Boeing X-45A unmanned attack aircraft would be simpler and more feasible than constructing a ship designed to fly faster than light.

The aircraft itself is very small, compared to other manned aircraft. It is 9m long, with a wingspan of 11m. It is probably no taller than 1m. As for its radar cross section, at say 500 miles, a B-52H would look like a flying barn. A B-1B would look like a good sized bird. A F-117A or B-2A might be the size of a mosquito, and this thing would be the size of a single droplet of rain. The space and weight saved from life support systems would allow installation of an active camoflauge system, giving it superb defensive capabilities.

However, it would have limitatons. Its size limits the amount of ordinance it could carry, and would probably not be able to haul large laser-guided bombs, cluster bombs or long range missiles such as the ALCM or JAASM. However, it would be able to carry the new small diameter bomb, the AIM-9X Sidewinder and the JDAM. This would limit the role of the plane to precision long-range attacks against highly defended targets such as power plants, or tactical support of advancing armies (it would not have the staying power or intimidating look of the A-10 or AH-64D). It would, however, be indispensible at attacking artillery at long range. Counter-air operations would also be a good role for the plane, as it can maneuver faster and more efficiently than a human could. It would work effectively fill the gap between the stealth F-22, F-117 and B-2s, all of which have very specific missions.

The unmanned plane would also be cheap. The F-22 costs $150 million in real-life money. I'm not sure of the F-117, but the B-2 is about 2 billion a pop. This thing is a mere (!!) $10 million. The cost of it in the game would be similarly cheap. Say, $300 or $400, compared to a $1200 F-22.

#60 Ace22

Ace22

• Project Team
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:55 AM

Yes, they could be very helpful at times.

They would be bad at dogfighting because computers don't learn. they are not manned.

The Ship is a Super Unit for the Air Force General, and only goes about twice as fast as an Aurora

Edited by Ace22, 25 July 2005 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users