#5142 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

Okay, I need some help.

Demo general, even with buffs to the bomb truck, is still pretty incapable at countering heavy tanks. The main problem is Efreets (heavy dragon tanks for flame) because they can do enough damage that bomb trucks don't get near enough. So, any ideas for a unit demo could build that counters heavy tanks? I'm thinking something like a heavy cockroach, but I don't want to make it good against buildings and units. However, it could be that such a unit doesn't get the dirty bomb upgrade, and has a really small AOE. That way bomb trucks stay capable at countering groups, while this suicide tank does more direct damage. I'm thinking of buffing the truck nuke too, since it is just so pitiful. But for 2500 it may be okay where it is.

#5143 Guest_Tomeister_*

Guest_Tomeister_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Maybe increase price to 3000 and increase aoe and damage. Yes- make a unit which has a low aoe, but is fast and does good damage versus vehicles. Maybe it could disable vehicles if it doesn't destroy them:)

#5144 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

You know, that's not a bad idea. Do a huge hit of subdual damage to target, as if to represent a shockwave or something? I might do that.

I think the nuke truck could use a health increase actually. I'm thinking to make it relatively tough, so it can be used as a line breaker. Nuke trucks should be terrifying, and rather than just make them do massive damage, making them reliable I feel is a better move. It's at least more unique than "explosion does massive damage to everything!" since everything else Demo has already does that.

As an update, I'm planning on getting started on Superweapons' tech choices (defense and offense). Annoying, before I do that I have a LOT of ini code to rework. Basically to free up research slots and such. After that, I'm going to work on the rail weapons, specifically the modeling portion.

#5145 Tomeister

Tomeister
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Cool, let me know if you need anymore suggestions;)

#5146 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Okay, give me...2 weeks. Well, more like 3 weeks. Finals are in two weeks for me, and I have a lot to get done before then. Consequently I don't know how much mod work I can get through. However, after that I'm on summer break, and since I lack a job/internship I hope to dedicate myself to remix (and a few other side projects). If all goes according to what I hope, I should be able to fly through new stuff for the mod.

#5147 Guest_Tomeister_*

Guest_Tomeister_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Cool;) sounds good!;)

#5148 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Just a quick little update. I'm back home, but don't have my computer yet. This causes 2 problems: I can't do modeling as I have nothing powerful enough, and I don't want to do scripting because it doesn't feel as nice. That said, I should get my computer within a week, and may just suck it up for now and do scripting anyway. I need to get upgrades renamed first....so I need to come up with a plan of attack for that. I'll try to keep the few of you around updated.

#5149 Guest_Tomeister_*

Guest_Tomeister_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Thanks. Maybe after the next release the forums will become busy again;)

#5150 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Maybe. I still don't have control of the moddb page so I can't update that, so it'll be harder to get word out to people. Also, I haven't gotten any work done yet since I got home. I can see if I can get started tonight though, since I'm busy all day. Again, I'm starting by cleaning up code, and once the INI files are nicer to look at I should have a bit more motivation. Still trying to come up with a good way to change all the upgrades. I think I'm going to list every upgrade in code (as in junk repair, laser missiles, etc) so I know what I have in concept, and then just start changing upgrade names (from Countermeasures and MigArmor to AirplaneArmor for example), and then using the list I made earlier I know which combination needs to go where. At least I think that'd work. It'll be a lot of hunting though, but I'll get over it.

After that, and with my new computer, I can get started on new content again.

#5151 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Quick update. I HAVE resumed work on Remix (I feel kind of bad for not doing anything for so long). Right now I'm working on removing as many upgrades as I can, and then renaming the rest. Then I'll have cleaner files to work with, which more means I can add upgrades to new things I make easier. I should be able to finish that tomorrow, and my computer parts should show up on Monday, so assuming everything goes well with that I'll get back to work on adding new techs and such for Superweapons General then.

As one form of condensation, I'm thinking of removing the drone upgrade button with a single upgrade that gives units a sort of "drone controller" add on. Then, either the object would spawn a drone (or drones) based on the target, like Skynet does at the moment, or I could see if I can make the player switch between drones. The latter I'm not sure is possible though since I'd have to deal with a living drone, and then make a new one, etc, so it could be an issue for units. Non combat units such as point defense drones and scout drones would need something clever so they'd be used with such an object.

Edited by ApOcOlYpS, 24 June 2012 - 01:08 AM.

#5152 Guest_Tomeister_*

Guest_Tomeister_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

That's a good plan, I would try the former, as the latter seems pretty difficult to implement.

How's your progress going on the supw gen?

#5153 Tomeister

Tomeister
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Perhaps have that for the combat drones, and be able to purchase non combat individually like thy can currently,

#5154 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

Actually I'm just going to leave drones as they are.

I'm still working on upgrades. I'm close to getting them set, but talking to Creator about it too. Then I'll get to work on Superweapons. I'm hoping I'll have upgrades done by....Monday since I plan to play some warhammer this weekend.

Edit: Also, I got my new computer up and running!

Edited by ApOcOlYpS, 29 June 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#5155 collateral

collateral
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

its nice to see that someone work on this amazing mod.
whats about pend btw ?

#5156 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

He's busy with work and personal stuff. I still chat with him occasionally when I need him to explain something he's written, or discussing some plans I have.

Still working. Renaming is being more of a chore than I expected, and then I have to hope I didn't break the game. Should be okay though.

#5157 Thats me!

Thats me!

Title availble

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Projects:thinking...:p
  •  not Red :(

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

so any news?
any online players?

#5158 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Working, working, working. Okay, so not working that hard. Give me a break! It's summer!

Anyway. I belive I've finished renaming everything. Right now I'm using Creator's ini error tool and going through all the main errors (things in challenges, campaigns or other small errors are being ignored for now) until I can get the game to launch again. With that, I need to run through a round of testing every unit, upgrade and weapon to make sure they still do what they're supposed to (I have a group of friends I can recruit for this I hope). With that, it'll be on to semi-new content. I'm starting with giving tank and airforce tech tree upgrades. Basically just take the promotions they can get (like fighters 1, 2, 3 and 4, or the three lighning promotions for tanks) and turn them into upgrades. There'll be some slight changes to them (which I'll mention in a minute as I could use some help with them). With those two tech treees for those generals, I'll be adding new stuff to Superweapons general. I'll start by giving her a tech specialization when the game starts (like micro and macro for robots). It'll be less far reaching then micro and macro though. You'll either specialize in defensive warfare or offensive warfare. Defensive will give you more advanced defenses, repair powers and such things, as well as the mobile defenses units, which I know sounds contradictory but it's necessary. The super unit/building is the SDI cannon, being an ultimate defense, and the shield generator. Offensive will not have the SDI cannon or shield generator, but instead will have an ultimate superweapon (I need ideas for this too. I don't really want to do another "storm" weapon). Also each will have a power decrease of their chosen things. Offensive's superweapons will take less power, and Defensive's defenses will take less. Also bear in mind offensive will still have a lot of powerful defenses like superweapons does now, it's just defensive will have more and better ones.

Right, that was a confusing paragraph.

Anyway, I have a bit of a problem with Tank General at the moment. I'm thinking of doing 4 tech trees: Conventional warfare, lightning, ECM and Missiles, each with three ranks. Um...here's a short list I made.

Battlemaster (Standard)
Sniper Tank (Standard
Gattling Tank (Standard)
Dragon Tank (Remove)
Lightning Tank (Lightning 1)
SRM Tank (Missiles 1)
ECM Tank (ECM 1)
Mag Artillery (ECM 3)
Command Tank (Standard)

Emperor (Conventional 1)
Earthshaker (Conventional 2)
Manticore (Conventional 1)
Heavy SRM (Missiles 2)
Heavy LRM (Missiles 2)
Hive (Missiles 2)
Banshee (ECM 2)
Heavy Lightning (Lightning 2)
Tien Mu (Lightning 3)
Unlimited Arty (Conventional 2)
HE MIRV Arty (Missiles 3)
Chimeras (Conventional 3)
Heavy Command (Standard)

The thing in parentheses is what upgrade is required for a unit. As you can see, emperors are no longer standard, but that shouldn't be a problem since you start making tech tree choices at the same time they'd be unlocked. I'm a bit worried that conventional 1 would basically be a requirement to get emperors out to combat other generals' heavy stuff, but I'll deal with that later in a balancing stage. Also, I'm thinking of limiting tank general to 4 tech upgrades (so you could get conventional 3 and ecm 1, allowing you to build standard ECM tanks supporting the chimeras for example). The main reason for all of this is tank general has too many units that you can unlock at once. You can have all the above tanks unlocked short of the mag artillery, but usually you only need a fraction (emperors, manticores, battlemasters and earthshakers). So with the tech trees, the number of unlocked tanks will go down, but you can still unlock whichever you like. I also want to remove at least 2 vehicles from the second list (heavy war factory) because I'd rather just build the chimera variants rather than build them and then upgrade (easier to manage, doesn't waste upgrades), so any ideas of what doesn't belong would be great (could move heavy command to the command center for starters).

If anyone has ideas for different tech trees for tank general (or indeed ideas for any general at all) I'm happy to read them. Also, I love being prompted for news. Writing these hellps me organize my thoughts a bit.

I'm not sure about online players. I honestly haven't played a game of generals all summer, but that's mainly because I've been with friends or working on fixing things.

#5159 Thats me!

Thats me!

Title availble

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Projects:thinking...:p
  •  not Red :(

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

so you want to replace the ''frenzy/command tanks tech'' with Conventional warfare?

I'm thinking of limiting tank general to 4 tech upgrades

i think 5 will be better,so you can have one max,2 min,or one max, and 1 mis upgrade,and so on,i think 4 is very limmeting

I'm not sure about online players.

i wanna play with a friend today,thats why i am asking,because the more the merrier <:) .

anyway i will try to think about a tank gen tech tree and suggest it,after i play today i think it will be clearer

Edited by Thats me!, 17 August 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#5160 ApOcOlYpS

ApOcOlYpS

title available

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Both comand tanks will be available as standard. The reason for this is, if you don't take conventional warfare to get the emperor, you won't have a way to repair your tanks in the field, which is a huge part of his force. Also, I like limiting. It's better to have to make choices on what you actually get than just get everything.

As a side note, I was thinking of having 12 techs for airforce (4 trees of 3, fighters, bombers, choppers and vtol) and giving him 6 choices, but maybe I'll limit him to 4 too. Another thing I'm playing with is having things with multiple requirements. For example the heavy lightning tank could require 2 levels in the lightning tree and 1 level in a heavy tank tree or something. Also as a side note, laser general can at most get 4 techs out of his 8, but that's with an upgrade. Also many of his techs don't actually unlock new units, and rather just upgrade ones you have. The tech tree upgrades for airforce and tanks on the other hand would be unlocking new units.

If you play some games, let me know any balance issues you find. I've probably already dealt with them, but any issues you notice I'd like to know about. Also I'm hoping that just by virtue of having less stuff, mismatches will be less common in the next version (not less unit wise, but there's less invisible background stuff for the game to deal with).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users