N19HtmAr3

title available

• Project Team
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:Kicking ass...
  •  "who's that guy, anyways?"

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

The Last Twilight... I like that... ;)

(Mehehe... Last time I played Minas Tirith I just tested and... I won before the second wave of orcs appeared... :w00t: Not quite as fun... But now I know that you can do that to :wub: )

#62 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

Chances are he did them already, or he at least has the concepts down

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#63 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

Well for now it's better to focus on the current version of the mod while we harass him with pointless ideas about the next version. :wub:
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#64 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

I think that all ideas are resonable, Celeglin has probably a special notebook to take all ideas down. (or he has amazing memory :p )

#65 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:43 AM

why did ya'll having a hard time on Minas?

I just did it, wasn't much harder than normal actually. Half of my army from start survived, and only Pippin died. Of course, I had to retreat back to the second level, but that didn't last long, because the Rohan was there.

When they came, and may I say Cel, you've made Rohan an infantry faction for me now :p anyways, they came, and I sent them all to the first base. Haldir pwned with the Royal Guards, and the rest of the heroes and my four from-start rohirrim pwned aswell. After a while though, they died, but Eomer survied. Haldir got pwned but a mumak, arg. Then, when that camp was taken, Minas Tirith was orc-free, and everyone there were gathered at the gate, and the Q A click-on-orc-base ;) so, within a minute or two, I destroyed them ;)

All hail Eomer, Gandalf, Boromir and Faramir! The all-time survivors! ;) of course, I revied the others, but screw them....
And I wanted to see Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli... sigh...

oh, and most of my forces were killed by trolls... no orc could kill my med ;) or, the archer nailed a few ;)

QUICKY: oh, and I were playing Easy ;) no you dumbass, hard ;)

Edited by Lauri, 28 December 2006 - 03:45 AM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#66 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

And I wanted to see Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli... sigh...

I still need to make them come even sooner... Blaaaah!

Some strategies I use:
- I always have the Eagles summon for this mission... I save it until just a little bit after the catapult wave begins. I then just focus the Eagles on the catapults, and with the proper timing, I can usually wipe out both waves. I hate catapults.
- Rangers (around 8 batts or so) on the north side of the gate, and Archers (about the same amount, if not more) on the south side. Faramir on the north "prow", Pippin (with rocks) on the south; Gandalf in the midst of the Rangers and Boromir with the Archers. Knights were positioned at the second set of stairs to the north wall and the Tower Guard were at the second set of stairs on the south. These two melee batts were there to hold off orcs from getting at my archers once they climbed the towers. Once Grond comes, I moved both of them both to guard just inside the gate. I only ended up losing around 4-5 batts of archers, 1 batt of Rangers, 3 batts of Tower Guard (that was my fault... forgot to position a trebuchet properly...), and 3 batts of Knights. All the Archers that I replaced my fallen troops with went to guard the gate. Btw, two wells near the gate = god send.
- For Rohan, I position Haldir, Gamling (mounted), any Elves, Royal Guard, and Horse Archers in the front line first to take care of that northern assault that is so incredibly anti-cavalry. Once they're out of the way, I send Merry, Haldir, and all my infantry through a postern gate and then to the main gate. My cavalry I send straight into that mess of orcs outside the gate. Just before I get to them, I use Theoden's Glorious Charge and Gamling's Lead the Charge and BAM... Super trample with around 15 batts of cavalry and 5 heroes.
- After that's all said and done, I deconstruct all my trebuchets (they're just an accident waiting to happen at this point) and move all my archers just outside the gates, with Tower Guard, Boromir, and the hobbits guarding in the centre-front. Gandalf and the Knights I mix in with the Rohan heroes and Rohirrim, sending them all out for another crazy trample run whenever the mood takes me. The bad thing about this strategy is that I completely deflate the Mumakil stampede... as they'll just stand there waiting for me to move away from the walls... Oh well.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 Thorontur

Thorontur

I'm Pr0, who are j00?

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

O ya that reminded me of Minas Tirith. ;) I loved the changes and I had to move to the second level for the first time. I would however like to see some more siege towers. There were about five total that came up in each wave but they were killed easily by my trebs and not a single orc got on the wall. :(

Also there is a problem with Grond. Since he is indestructible all my archers and trebs target it when orc archers and catapults are already distracting me so it's really frustrating. Well, on second thought the same thing happened with normal MT but since the normal Grond got killed really quickly I had nothing to worry about. What would you suggest Cel?

And yes, the three hunters and oathbreakers need to come earlier because I had wiped out the whole Mordor army with my Rohan and Gondor army but wanted to wait for Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas to finish the level but it took so long I went ahead and destroyed the camps. :p

#68 N19HtmAr3

N19HtmAr3

title available

• Project Team
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:Kicking ass...
  •  "who's that guy, anyways?"

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

You could always make Grond untargetable... :p

#69 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

Also there is a problem with Grond. Since he is indestructible all my archers and trebs target it when orc archers and catapults are already distracting me so it's really frustrating. Well, on second thought the same thing happened with normal MT but since the normal Grond got killed really quickly I had nothing to worry about. What would you suggest Cel?

It's annoying, but you just have to pay a lot of attention, and target orcs instead of Grong by hand.

I build several (four or five, I don't remember) additional trbuches, fire stones are very usefull against Towers and using up 20-25 CP you get a huge fire power, good against everything.

Just before I get to them, I use Theoden's Glorious Charge and Gamling's Lead the Charge and BAM... Super trample with around 15 batts of cavalry and 5 heroes.

Maybe add next huge wave of orcs soon after Rohan arrival? To give somethinh big to trample...

Edited by swan, 28 December 2006 - 06:57 PM.

#70 Thorontur

Thorontur

I'm Pr0, who are j00?

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

It's annoying, but you just have to pay a lot of attention, and target orcs instead of Grong by hand.

I build several (four or five, I don't remember) additional trbuches, fire stones are very usefull against Towers and using up 20-25 CP you get a huge fire power, good against everything.

I build like 15-20 trebs from 2-3 workshops. :p Once I have to retreat though I stock up on wells, statues and more smiths.

#71 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

I should be able to just reduce archers' attack priority towards Grond so they'll attack almost anything else before trying to hit Grond. I did something similar in Helm's Deep by making archers target crossbows, ladders, and mines more often than they do melee infantry.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:50 AM

And could you also make it so the trebuchets take on catapults as a first priority, every time I have played Minas Tirith the catapults have just pissed me off.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#73 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

what exactly do you play? :p

Here, NOBODY attacked Grond. Catapults only destroyed the city itself, they didn't attack my army.

And, only one siege tower came to my wall. Well, to my wall with orcs. Of course, two other came to my wall, but they got destroyed before they could say boom. :) And I had, and always have, Gandalf on the southern "prow", with Pippin. Faramir on the northern, and Boromir among the archers and rangers and soliders and rangers on the northern wall. Yes, it looks cooler when you mix them all up ;) :p
of course, I had just as many on the southern wall, but I feel that nothing happens there....

aanyways, great job on the campaing Cel! :D Now, I have to take the dead marches, then... Mirkwood! :D and if I'm lucky, I'll bring some elves with me! On Helm's deep, I lost them all :p also, is there any chanse that you can add the royal guards to the descriptions? I mean, on my Rohan army, I only have all the heroes, and 20 rohirrim :sleep: no wait, they all died in the siege... well, all my heroes stand there, but the fact is, I have a couple of hundred royal Guards too :sleep: you get me? *angle-eyes*

Also, there's alot of Also's :w00t: on Minas Tirith, for the first time on my computer.. It lagged! Not much though, but sometimes it went 2 seconds for one second :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#74 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

also, is there any chanse that you can add the royal guards to the descriptions? I mean, on my Rohan army, I only have all the heroes, and 20 rohirrim :huh: no wait, they all died in the siege... well, all my heroes stand there, but the fact is, I have a couple of hundred royal Guards too :huh: you get me? *angle-eyes*

I haven't the slightest clue how to fix that, but I'll try to look into it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#75 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:25 AM

Well, how about making trebuchets target catapults first, then siege towers; that way you don't have to micro as much. :huh:

And by the way Lauri, I haven't been able to play in a while, but I usually play on Hard. :huh:

Edited by Olorin, 30 December 2006 - 12:26 AM.

Posted Image

#76 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

well, the newest version? *angle-eyes*

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#77 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:52 AM

Hopefully, along with all the other 'suggestions' that we have made. :p But seriously, it will make a difference.
Posted Image

#78 Lalmanegro

Lalmanegro
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  •  Couch Potatoe

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:35 AM

What i do is build second level with Smitherys and the first level with Heroic Statues on the plots nearest to the door, Wells on the second closest plots to the door and the rest i fill with unit producing buildings and a marketplace...on the top-most defensive plot (on the wall), i build a postern gate so that the Rohirrim & friends can get into the city faster. Once i have enough resources, i destroy the top lair of Smithys and build statues, wells, barracks, and AR. Then destroy all buildings on the bottom except the Marketplace. Build Keeps on the first floor, and have all trebuchets bombard the entrance to the city. Once Grond gets halfway to its destination retreat and regroup to the inner walls.
*When i played the Grond was stuck manuvering infront of the gate untill about 3 minutes before Rohan arrived. Ensure all archers and Faramir have a clear shot at the gate

When Rohan arrives, send them to meet with Gondorians on the second level. Wait til Aragorn&pals show up then send all of your forces to attack the enemy bases

P.S. Make sure you tell ur trebuchets to stop bombarding the front gate

Good luck

Sorry bout the obesely long post...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#79 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:21 PM

Sorry bout the obesely long post...

Don't worry, everyone sometimes writes long posts :p

Catapults only destroyed the city itself, they didn't attack my army.

Most of Mordor catapults attack city only, but several attack walls, too, and they were just slaughtering my troops on the walls while I was playing Minas Tirith. This idea with a target priority is nice, it would make game less annoying... :blush:

#80 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

That's exactly my point.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users