Support - Serious Error (v004)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

Hello. After searching for a solution for my problem, I have not found an answer to my problem. Every time I launch Contra with ModToaster, it always informs me of the infamous Serious Error. I have tried reinstalling ZH twice, and it still has not been fixed.

When I uninstalled ZH, there was nothing which could interfere with Contra.

I am not sure if Contra v005 has this problem.

If there are any suggestions, I would like to hear them. Thank you.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I have TFD.

Edited by Spikey00, 27 December 2006 - 08:08 PM.

#2 Ubermedic

Ubermedic

Victims Of A Down

• Project Team
  • 1,221 posts
  • Projects:V|GO Beta Testing, Remix Alpha Testing, Learning Mapping in Hammer
  •  IT'S BUG FREE!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I have TFD.

I've got TFD also.
I'll check to out once it's done DLing.

EDIT:
Didn't notice you mention Modtoaster.
I modtoaster to be buggy and unstable.
At least in it's current version.
I'd suggest just installing it straight to the ZH folder.
But if you really want to use modtoaster...

Edited by Ubermedic, 27 December 2006 - 08:26 PM.

V|GO Beta Testing Staff
Posted Image
The hand has five fingers. Capable and strong. Able to both create and destroy

#3 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

OMG...

After I installed Contra, and uninstalled it, it always crashes now!!

Even after a clean install of ZH again will not fix it... Now I have 2 problems!#@$

#4 CPT.TIKER

CPT.TIKER

title available

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:31 AM

dont use the mod toaster

and is contra 004 the one u have to install ur self or was that remix 2.75?

and is ur ZH english version?

cant think of anything else

#5 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts
  • Projects:Remix Beta 1.0

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

check you ZH\data\ini folder for ANY file. delete it if there is one.

some release versions of ZeroHour have a duplicate copy of the inizh.big placed there. this will make several mods (including Contra and Remix) crash.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#6 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

I did actually delete the ZH folder itself during uninstallation.

#7 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:05 AM

I did actually delete the ZH folder itself during uninstallation.

some CLEAN installs of ZeroHour include the file I'm talking about. Its a fubar by the manufacturer.

So, if you uninstalled the game, then deleted the folders, what type of crash are you getting?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#8 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

The same old error. "Serious Error". (Viruses, overheated hardware... Blah)

I only uninstalled ZH, not with Generals, though.

The game doesn't like me anymore. T_T

#9 CPT.TIKER

CPT.TIKER

title available

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:01 AM

reisntall both of them(generals and ZH)

#10 Ubermedic

Ubermedic

Victims Of A Down

• Project Team
  • 1,221 posts
  • Projects:V|GO Beta Testing, Remix Alpha Testing, Learning Mapping in Hammer
  •  IT'S BUG FREE!

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:31 AM

reisntall both of them(generals and ZH)

Yeah. You've got a point.
Some mods screw up if you've got generals mods installed.
V|GO Beta Testing Staff
Posted Image
The hand has five fingers. Capable and strong. Able to both create and destroy

#11 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

Alright, I will try that later. I will post up my results, or edit my post.

:p

EDIT : Ok, I think that Contra has screwed up my ZH permanently. ZH is now always crashing without any mods when launched. The same error.

Edited by Spikey00, 30 December 2006 - 09:08 PM.

#12 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

no it wont of screwwed it up.... i think it could be your badly scratched disk. what spec is your pc running on?
remove both the generals and ZH from your pc and install them. make sure you have no virus on youyr pc, not that it can stop it from loading, but it can affect it.

also delete mod toaster, i hated using it, i could never get it to work. i download one mod and stick to it. if i want to change, i delete all the files that mod needs and make sure i have a clean directory.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#13 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

Contra is not even CAPABLE of permanently screwing up your install.

Contra is nothing more than a few files that reside in your ZeroHour folder. There are no regestry changes, and if you remove the Contra files it is gone. end of story.

things to be sure you remove after the uninstall of both games.

the "my program files" ZeroHour and Generals folders
the "my documents" ZeroHour and Generals folders

you only need to delete all these things if don't know where you put the files. When they are in the correct location there is nothing mallicious about the mod files, but if you place them in the wrong folder they wil cause a game crash.

AND after you reinstall, before you load ANY mods, make sure there is nothing in the ZeroHour/Data/Ini folder. Some versions of the retail game include duplicates of the original game files that WILL mess up mods.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

During my next uninstallment of both ZH and Generals, I removed everything, the ZH/Gen Folders, the Document part, but it still yields to stop to give me the nice crash.

Edited by Spikey00, 31 December 2006 - 07:33 PM.

#15 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

i bet your disk is scratched to bits. get a new one... and run a virus scan. and is your pc minimum spec to run the game, or above it. because i have know pcs to crash with minimum spec.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#16 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

My disc is barely scratched, because I handle all my disks gently.

My computer surpasses recommendations, with 3 GB's of RAM, 2.8GHz from my Intel 820 Viiv, and I know that my computer does not have a virus on it, since I run anti-virus almost 24/7 when I am on. I also scan all files downloaded with anti-virus software, so that could not be the case.

Lets back up a bit... Before I installed Contra, everything was fine. I was playing with the mod Shockwave, but then I got a bit bored and quit. I decided I was going to install Contra, and it was successful. This was without ModToaster, for the first time. I went back, and tried to play ZH, but the crash note came up when it was launched. I deleted all the Contra files, and went to the setup to Repair my files from TFD, and it was done. Then, I tried to launch ZH, but the crash came up again as it was launched.

I recently found this :
"Release Crash at Mon Jan 01 12:14:33 2007
; Reason Error parsing INI file 'Data\INI\Object\infantry\gdi_commando.ini' (Line: 'Object GDI_Commando ')

Last error:

Current stack:"

Is there anything to make of this?

#17 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

SAS Alpha Team Leader (Forum n00b Hunter 1st battalion)

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts
  • Projects:Remix Alpha Tester.
  •  I'm the remix alpha tester thats loves to attack n00bs... muhahah!!!

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:43 AM

alot of peaple in the world handle there disks generaly but scrachs happen easy sometimes by simply remocing them from a cover it happens, cds are fragile.
Hall the PSP style disks, if only they made dvds or what not in such cases ;)
Phoenix™ The Forgotten Samurai
A wise man chooses death before war, A wiser man chooses not to become war.
Posted Image
Foamy!?!! Xombie!?! Awesome Cannon Rock
Everyone should watch this and pass it on as its a very good argument on the subject of Global Warming.

#18 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

I recently found this :
"Release Crash at Mon Jan 01 12:14:33 2007
; Reason Error parsing INI file 'Data\INI\Object\infantry\gdi_commando.ini' (Line: 'Object GDI_Commando ')

Last error:

Current stack:"

Is there anything to make of this?

I know EXACTLY what causes that. You have left a .big or .ini file in a location it should not be in. the offending file(s) are *somewhere* the game .exe can see it. Such locations include any ZeroHour OR Generals folders. Also, any location included in the system path could potentialy set that off. Examples would be the C:\ root or the OS folders.

This is a case of you put a file where it doesn't belong, and now you have to find it. You say everything worked prior to installing Contra... then clearly you screwed up while installing or de-installing Contra. Because, as I said before, Contra is not CAPABLE of editing the system regestry to create a permenant crash.

BTW, the error logged happens when a modded ini file is parrsed before the official ini file. Modded Ini files are designed to be loaded after the sytem files. 99% of users who have this error placed the Contra.big or Remix.big directly into the ZeroHour folder instead of the ZeroHour/Data folder.

If Contra is in ANY way related to your crash it means you have not deleted all the folders we've suggested or you placed Contra someplace it seriously does not belong. You might want to do a full system search for *.Big files and see where the hell you put it. And one last BTW, neither Creator nor myself misplaced the file for you.

Also, it is my Firm opinion as a modder that ModToaster is horrible. Most likely you have Mod Toaster to thank for leaving behind a file or placing one someplace without your knowledge. If my suggestions can't help you then you should try harrasing the modtoater team.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 dave1

dave1
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

alot of peaple in the world handle there disks generaly but scrachs happen easy sometimes by simply remocing them from a cover it happens, cds are fragile.
Hall the PSP style disks, if only they made dvds or what not in such cases :D

I frizbee my disks across the room

On the internet i say i handle them gently. :p

#20 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

I have actually deleted my whole directory, so this probably may not be the problem, since I did a clean install for 1000 times.

Edited by Spikey00, 17 January 2007 - 11:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users