#41 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

well it would be a shame if the people with intellect on this planet stopped having offspring because its a chore. that would pretty much turn us into barbarians within 100 years.

also, parenting has become much more benevolent over the last century. naturally will there be plenty of bad examples out there, but its not like your average parent goes around whipping his children with a belt or a stick as they could do before. hell, even the teachers were allowed to do that a few decades ago.

Also, this philip larkin lived from 1922 to 1985, which means he grew up in the "old days" of parenting. hehe, plenty of stories from my grandfather generation about the troubles of that time.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#42 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

well it would be a shame if the people with intellect on this planet stopped having offspring because its a chore. that would pretty much turn us into barbarians within 100 years.

It's already happening. Why do you think the youngest generation is mostly comprised of total idiots?

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#43 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Larkin was raised by a very identikit, in-her-place mother and a neo-nazi father. However, as a poet he was known for his observations of modern life and people (although he himself considered himself to be a 'people's poet' and was pretty justified in doig so, he hated people.) He dind't live a normal life, so his comments are largely based on observation of other people. It's unfair to say 'oh, well, his dad was a nazi so obviously he's not goig to like parenting'.

He's explaining the neverending cycle of parents raising children to be like them. So it says in this be the verse, his solution is to get out as early as possible and break the cycle by not reproducing yourself.

Again when I find myself agreeing with things like this I have to ask myself whether I truly considered Brave New World to be all that dystopian...
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#44 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  • Projects:Making a master plan to destroy the consumerist society.
  •  Revora's Local Forum Whore

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

Again when I find myself agreeing with things like this I have to ask myself whether I truly considered Brave New World to be all that dystopian...

Huh? What do you mean...?

Lurking moar since 2004 2003!

#45 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

Brave New World, the book.
Posted Image