Photo

Angels and Demons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Approval Votes (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Join or won't join?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Getting humans involved would make it boring, because the outcome would pretty much be Arsencia with some angels, demons, and some places slapped on top of that.

#42 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

i agree... recreating an RP wouldn't really make sense.

Edited by myself, 30 June 2008 - 07:19 PM.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#43 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

You have to find a balance between originality and what will work. Myself, you seriously need to listen to the advice of everyone here, as we have almost unanimously disagreed with the numbers idea. Obviously you don't want another Arsencia, but you want something that will work. Arsencia works. This is a similar style of RP, assuming you do eventually choose to remove the numerical element, so you should pay attention to how it works and what it does. If you want to base it almost exclusively on the celestial plane then do so, but you have to provide sufficient detail of what the celestial plane is like, and what sort of, for want of a better word, physics it has, and basic topography.

In conclusion, listen to us. We've been around a while and we know what we're on about. Especially Nowe, he owns the place.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#44 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:35 AM

it doesn't have to be like Arsencia

the only way that will happen is if you copy it... you can have a fantasy RPG without it being like arsencia...
(no elves and dwarves would be a good start :p )

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:18 AM

yeah... i agree with both of you
the numbers probably won't work, but then what do i do with the skills? just get rid of them?
elves and dwarves... thats way too WoW, which just isn't very appealing to me

#46 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:03 AM

I'd say have it be, as the title says, Angels and Demons. And also do away with the numbers and skills, yes. From what I've seen they tend to both slow down and over-clutter an RP. Don't take this as "RAWR GTFONUUB", though. I find your concept relatively appealing, and if I may, here's something you might be able to use - which I just typed up, taking ideas from Constantine and Hellboy :p

"Earth. The silent battlefield. Since the dawn of time, before a Sun rose in the West, two immortal forces have waged war upon the other. Good and Evil - their eternal conflict is the stuff of legends, and yet only revered by those not a part of it. Though the never-ending siege, fought upon all fronts, has cooled down in recent memory, it has taken many lives of men for such a standstill to come into being. But that is all about to change; as is this fight. For no longer will the victors hold petty lands or casualties in the highest regard; this is now a war for souls."
Right...so, in this idea, I'd be taking your concept of Angels and Demons - and...changing it, for lack of a better phrase. Anyway, take this into consideration; the two primary enemies - Angels, Demons - would be agents of their own 'realms'. Heaven and Hell. Well, how about this; in their great, supernatural, forms, they would be evenly matched in every aspect. However, if they 'fall', then it is both a blessing and a curse; they're now mortal, in a manner of speaking, but it's the only way to truly defeat their significant other (hehe :D). Once an Angel or Demon has 'fallen', they're very similar to the average person, except for a few significant differences. Due to their - literally - out of this world origin, they get a few 'natural' perks - like not being fully bound to our laws of physics, being able to consciously alter probability, etcetera, etcetera. How would this come into play? Well, I'll let you be the ones to get really creative with that. One more thing...guns, combined with that 'probability-altering thing', would be really cool. See "The Matrix" and "Wanted" for ideas.
---
So...yeah. They turned out longer than I was wanting :D but yeah, sleep deprivation + HBO + just too much damn time on my hands, gets you...this!
Cheers,
-mike

#47 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:28 AM

Thanks, Mike. The problem with that is then it does become essentially just Wanted+Matrix+Constantine = this RP. I very much like the idea of having to leave the immortal realms of Heaven and Hell to do battle against the common foe, but just being able to bend probability a tad isn't very angelic. I'd prefer bloody great flaming swords and rivers of lava and stuff :p Were I a fallen angel, I would do everything I could to make volcanoes randomly explode everywhere. It's just awesome.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#48 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

....hhmmm, i feel like giving my own touch to something like this[using my suggestions that you didn't like]
(using all my ideas that were not accepted here, and changing some other stuff... dont want to copy your idea, that wouldn't be nice)

eh... maybe some other time i'll think about it...

also:

elves and dwarves... thats way too WoW, which just isn't very appealing to me

i feel the same way, also dragons...
it just doesn't really catch my fancy... for me dragons almost feel like they are on the same level as fairies

same with goblins and orcs... i just dont like them
(thats why diablo was so appealing to me, it kept all the elements of fantasy i liked, but got rid of the junk i didn't like)

(no offence to any dragon/elf/dwarf/goblin/orc/fairy fans)

Edited by some_wierdGuy, 01 July 2008 - 10:17 AM.

Posted Image

#49 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

Dragons are cool, but they're just overused in Fantasy and RPG games.

#50 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

So we all agree that the Spirit-Reapers could be like the Sarduakar? because they sound like the Grim Reaper, so they could be like epic units, having like accessible powers that Demons and Angels don't have, or just have some really epic fighting moves. :shiftee:

anyways, elves, orcs, etc. etc., didn't care for them, i like dragons, but they are overused, i don't like the class system, TF2 is the only exception to me. numbers, no. how about you just add a "powers" or "specialties" part to the character creator so that people can kind of mix and match there own type of person?

#51 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, Mike. The problem with that is then it does become essentially just Wanted+Matrix+Constantine = this RP. I very much like the idea of having to leave the immortal realms of Heaven and Hell to do battle against the common foe, but just being able to bend probability a tad isn't very angelic. I'd prefer bloody great flaming swords and rivers of lava and stuff :shiftee: Were I a fallen angel, I would do everything I could to make volcanoes randomly explode everywhere. It's just awesome.

Flaming swords and rivers of lava are angelic? :xd:

#52 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:06 AM

Thanks, Mike. The problem with that is then it does become essentially just Wanted+Matrix+Constantine = this RP. I very much like the idea of having to leave the immortal realms of Heaven and Hell to do battle against the common foe, but just being able to bend probability a tad isn't very angelic. I'd prefer bloody great flaming swords and rivers of lava and stuff :shiftee: Were I a fallen angel, I would do everything I could to make volcanoes randomly explode everywhere. It's just awesome.

Flaming swords and rivers of lava are angelic? :p

no but it would be epic. :shiftee:

#53 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

you know what.... this needs a better name

how about we get some name suggestions under way?

Posted Image

#54 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

My name suggestion: Snakes On A Spiritual Plane!

Also, flaming swords are totally angelic. The archangel who guarded the gates of Eden had one. As for the rivers of lava, I was thinking fallen angel for that. And just general epicness :shiftee:

Edited by Vortigern, 03 July 2008 - 02:35 PM.

#55 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

Sure go for it suggest names away.

#56 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:02 AM

also, about the worlds:

i think you should look at mythology from different religions...
(shadowa needs a better name...)

Posted Image

#57 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:52 AM

There wasn't really a third type of spiritual being, at least I don't think there was. But still: there isn't really a name for a Spiritreaper place that fits it well. And, since their assassins, they are in the shadows, so Shadoa works

#58 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:01 AM

Purgatory? I think it'd work better if they were less these "shadowy, grim-reaper, assassins" and more of beings who were sent to in to the physical world to achieve their own ends.

#59 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:25 AM

So we all agree that the Spirit-Reapers could be like the Sarduakar?

#60 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

*cough* norse mythology *cough*

in norse mythology there are nine worlds

but in their creation stories it was the place of fire and the place of ice that began creation...(oh, and the void in the middle)

Originally there was a chasm, Ginnungagap, bounded on either side by fire (from the world known as Muspelheim) and ice (from the world known as Niflheim). When fire and ice met, they combined to form a giant, named Ymir, and a cow, named Audhumbla (Auðhumla), who nourished Ymir. She survived by licking the salty ice blocks. From her licking emerged Bur (Búri), the grandfather of the Aesir. Ymir, father of the frost giants, employed equally unusal procreative techniques. He sweated a male and a female from under his left arm.

ok, take out the crap about sweating people into existence, and cows being born from it and picking salt, and it seems like it might be a good place to start

so if we can agree the place of fire can be hell(Muspelheim), then you could have the place of ice being the shadow reapers place(Niflheim)

then Asgard is heaven.

you can leave it as that, or, to get it even more into the norse religion, you could have all the other worlds inbetween

The Nine Worlds in Norse mythology were:

* Upper level
Asgard (Aesir, the land of the gods),
Alfheim (elves),
Vanaheim (Vanir),
* Middle Level
Midgard (men),
Jotunheim (giants),
Svartalfheim (dark-elves),
Nidavellir (dwarves),
* Lower Level
Muspelheim (fire, a bright, flaming, hot world in the southern region), and
Niflheim (the dead, the lowest level)

then we can further group these together, saying the upper levels are all in heaven, middle leaves in the human world, and the lower in hell...
(or maybe the lower level and Jotunheim and Svartalheim as hell?)

now you have a whole heap of worlds(or maybe have them just different regions) we can battle in for this RPG

but you dont have to do that, you can just keep the three...

and you dont have to just use norse, i just used it cause i knew they had lots of different 'worlds' to pick from...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users