Photo

Angels and Demons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Approval Votes (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Join or won't join?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#21 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

Words of advise:

don't do PvP, it never did well in the past here, and its a pain in the ass, that's why i avoid MMOs as much as possible.

also, add some excitement to it, like make an exciting plot that people would think interesting or new,

like the following:

In BC. 45 God and Satan have declared a war between the heavens and hell for control of Earth, the spirit-reapers are at the God and Satan's disposal and well join which ever side is winning or strongest side (Spirit-Reapers can be like the Sarduakar from Dune, elite infantry trained into the highest of ranks.), so, The angels and demons fight on various grounds to prove who is best...
later on, the Satan and God (we could say the God of Gods is busy, so lets say God = Zeus) think that watching is enough, so they send the spirit-reapers out to send the forces into chaos, whenever the Angels and Demons figure out what is happening they ask why they do this, but whatever diplomats they sent where destroyed, so in return, the Angels and Demons form a timed peace treaty to send out attacks out on the God and Satan, yet half of the Angels and Demons have formed rebel forces that to fight each other and themselves, within the chaos of the now 4 factions, the spirit-reapers meanwhile, figure out what is all happening and tuns against the god and Satan, sending Satan back to Hell and Zeus, trying to fake as God, was stripped of his powers and sent into Exile as punishment from God himself, but small wars between the rebel tribes still happen and the spirit-reapers roam again, free to do as they wish.

its not mandatory that you use this idea, though... its just a example.

Edited by General Jenkins, 26 June 2008 - 12:41 AM.

#22 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:21 AM

why would satan turn against his followers? same for god?

anyway:

I like the idea of factions in the main plot, to sort of counteract the non-plot guilds. And the nature thing, that seems good, but is there some kind of story to back that up though? The angels could have something like paratroopers who fly in for assaults, and The Intel Network, where angels who are sent in to act like normal citizens, but actually are Heavenly Spies. The demons, who don't really fly, could have something like what you put, and they could have assassins, too. The background for how nature got involved could be:

The war between angels and demons has escalated as the new souls started to increase, making more warriors, and more power. This power was beginning to be too much for the celestial plains, and leaked out, imbuing intelligence into nature, and furthermore mutating the creatures of Earth. The war started to spread onto Earth, as Angels and Demons started using Earth as their personal battlefield.
How's that?

from what you are saying about paratroopers, and Intel Networks, it sounds like you are planning to be more RTS, then RPG.

my idea was angels and demons have been fighting for ages, then they discover the world of men, and take the fight to this new land, each trying to claim it for their own.
the demons have the numbers, but the angels have the strength. still the fight only proves a stalemate once again, but corrupting the world of men, and threatening to unbalance it completely.

with this great unbalance on the verge of happening, nature itself must intervene, or be destroyed, the forces of nature join the battle, trying to stop this eternal war from destroying our very existance.

caught up in the middle of this is man, some men decide to align themselves with a side, to try and help decide victory, weathers it's for the good, or bad.

thats where the 'guilds' come in

things like one group of humans aligned with angels form a paladin guild
another allies with the demons(specifically, the undead), forming the necromancer guild
while another group may join nature, forming.... the druids guild?
(these wouldn't be the only ones, each team[angels, demons, and nature] would have multiple groups of humans joining them)

something like that, what do you think?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:07 AM

Angel paratroopers? I am forced to say WTF? Are you intending this to be taken seriously or what? I don't know about everyone else, but my image of angels has them all with wings. Paratroopers would be somewhat pointless, given that they can all fly. Furthermore, Heavenly Spies? What are they infiltrating? What is there to infiltrate?

Another question: are you planning to have your characters all on their lonesomes here or is it going to be a posse-on-down kind of thing?

Hang on, just realised this too:

The war started to spread onto Earth, as Angels and Demons started using Earth as their personal battlefield.

That sounds rather like the apocalypse to me. You know, Heaven versus Hell, on Earth...
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#24 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

Just a little thing that's been bugging the free-thinker in me here: Angels and Demons are not ways of life, they are merely races. It is quite possible to have a Demon who considers the art of Necromancy disgusting and unnatural and is generally chivalrous. However, he's also big, red and horned so the side he takes is inevitable. Similar with Angels. Obviously stereotypes are there for a reason, but if we get too carried away it'll be boring with every Demon being utterly evil and every Angel being incorruptibly good. I mean, Angel's must have flaws, or else how could they fall and become Demons in the first place?

But more significantly, Myself, you need to decide exactly what kind of play you're aiming for. Will it be a single character high RP like most on here, or a stat-based RPG kinda like Earthen Conflicts, or what? Once you've got the core mechanics down, then you can think about the background.
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#25 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

the core mechanics will be more RPG than RP, and I never said that angel or demon was a way of life, which one you are is based upon your way of life. in this, all of the citizens are either angels, or demons, whichever one is more similar to their souls.

i'm already working on skills, and should get done it a couple of days at the rate I'm going.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#26 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

But more significantly, Myself, you need to decide exactly what kind of play you're aiming for. Will it be a single character high RP like most on here, or a stat-based RPG kinda like Earthen Conflicts, or what? Once you've got the core mechanics down, then you can think about the background.

hay mines not stat based! :p

its an RTS/RPG :thumbsupsmiley:

#27 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

I still think it would be better to have it we can only be humans, that are teamed up with angels or demons(not actually being demons/angels ourselves)

that way we dont run into odd situations too, like having everyone wanting to be a good demon, or all wanting to be evil angels

also, makes the demons and angels more special if we cant be them...
cause having a mage demon and angel guild does seem right... things like that are for humans...

Posted Image

#28 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:47 AM

I still think it would be better to have it we can only be humans, that are teamed up with angels or demons(not actually being demons/angels ourselves)

that way we dont run into odd situations too, like having everyone wanting to be a good demon, or all wanting to be evil angels

also, makes the demons and angels more special if we cant be them...
cause having a mage demon and angel guild does seem right... things like that are for humans...

SWG, this isn't about real life, what the hell happened to your creativity?

#29 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:16 AM

To be honest, I'm with SWG on this one again. Creativity's all very well and good, but angel mage guilds? That's just impractical and rather unconvincing. It seems like you're trying to humanise the angels and demons, which defies the entire point of their being angels and demons.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#30 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

...real life, when did we start talking about real life now?

i just think being able to be angels and demons as our characters takes something away from them...
like... they aren't as important/special if we can be them

i think it should be like diablo 2, where you can be different character classes, and we fight the demons(or, if we are an evil aligned human, we fight the angels)

thats what the guilds are, different classes

then we can have something like:

barbarians, paladins, amazons, druids, assassins, necromancers, sorcerers, rouges, monks, bards, and warriors

barbarians, amazons, bards and druids can be nature aligned

paladins, sorcerers, warriors and monks can be angel aligned

necromancers, assassins and... rogues?, could be demon aligned

(maybe some could have multiple alignments, like warriors can pick from all 3, ect)

then the angels and demons can be these super powerful beings, which makes them seem so much more awesome. Where as if we are demons/angels then we have to make it that they are weaker, or it would be unbalanced.

what do you think about that?
(see, nothing has happened to my creativity... i just think having angels/demons as our people isn't a good idea)

Edited by some_wierdGuy, 28 June 2008 - 12:39 AM.

Posted Image

#31 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

(It's rogue, not rouge. Rouge is a kind of make-up :))

And there's another problem. If we're playing as angels or demons then we're automatically a hell of a lot more awesome than whatever humans or other beings we come across, because we're the direct spawn of God. That would limit our options in terms of who and what we're fighting, as fighting humans would really be over before it started.

(Sorry, myself, we've really kinda hijacked your idea here :unsure: We hope you're appreciative of our input....)

#32 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

lol, just noticed you beat me to my post befor

and opps, spelt it wrong(i meant rogue)

i was just using diablo character classes as examples(warrior, rogue and sorc are from D1, monk and bard from expansion, and the other characters are from D2)... a rouge would probably be a ranger or something?
(they are archers in it)

anyway, i defiantly think you should consider having us being only humans...

anyway, if we are humans, do you think you would want each alignment having an equivalent character class?
(eg.
Warriors:
Nature: Barbarian
Demons: Berserker
Angels: Paladin

Mages:
Nature: Druid
Demons: Necromancer
Angels: Clerc

Ranged fighters:
Nature: Amazon
Demons: Rogue
Angels: Archer

((just some examples... but you get what i mean right? a paladin and barbarian both play the same roll, melee, but have differ abilities and work for different sides...))

Posted Image

#33 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

I don't see what's the big deal with us being Angels and Demons here. Myself strongly insinuated in his initial posts that there is no-one else apart from Angels and Demons. Either system is good, but I wouldn't discard this idea out of hand just so we can be people.
Another thing I thought, is that seeing as this is all set in a spiritual plane of existence then conventional abilities like archery would be kind of...different. Less useful. Unless myself has decided to go with the whole "war spilling out onto Earth" thing. but if it is in a spiritual plane then the classes form Diablo, and every other RPG for that matter, are completely redundant as its a different kind of existence.
But your point for mentioning them is still valid there.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#34 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Before we start getting into detail we really need to determine exactly how this is going to work. Myself, get us going here, are we going to be angels and demons or humans, angels, demons, shadowreapers or whatever else?

A thought occurs, FZM: even if we are just angels and demons it might not be set entirely within the realms of spirituality. We could easily have moments where we dip into corporeal existence to aid the completion of some as-yet-unknown end, whereupon archery skills and such would become highly useful, unless of course we're far in the future, in which case laser skills might be more useful.... :)

#35 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

It's Angels, Demons, and Spiritreapers. The skills are more like what they do, then using bows (which won't be used, due to physics change). Here's the list of what I have now.

#36 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

So you can't be humans then? Just checking, 'cos if you've made an executive decision then it's best to be clear.

@ Vort, yeah, that was pretty much what I was arguing about with myself (by which I mean me, not Myself...not him above me :p)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#37 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

no, this is all in the celestial lands, Shadoa, Heaven, and Hell. I'm keeping humans out of this, unless they start to die off, then we could have a group of angels and demons who are peaceful, go and save them so the soul population doesn't dwindle. The three sets of skills (combat, stealth, and magic) are mainly for one race each, but can be used by the other two races for creativity, and experimentation. So, when and if this actually gets accepted, you people that want to join can experiment, and if you want, I can allow more than one character, so, vote.

#38 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

... ok, this is defiantly not going to work...

you are thinking of it like a board game/computer game,

its not going to work over a forum, ok, listen

NUMBERS ARE DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH...(trust me, its going to be a big pain in the ass, and not work out at all)

all this +3 to damage, opponent cant attack next turn, etc. is going to make it very hard to keep up with, also, with time differences, its going to mean one move per day.... not good

make it an RP... RPG isn't going to work...
(i beg you!.... ok, not really, but i strongly advise you too)

on a side, what about angels/demons in human form?
so we control a person, who can become possessed/embodied with the spirit of a demon/angel

so it would be sorta a double characters thing

then we can have our spiritual world battles in pure angel/demon form, and have more humanized battles in the real world
just a thought...
(seen as you dont seem to like any of my ideas....)

Posted Image

#39 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like Constantine to me...

I highly HIGHLY suggest you take time to read the suggestions and stop your (what I would consider) warpath to the Numbers and Numbers alone are the entire outcome of a battle. You should listen to all of the Player suggestions as well. I only say this with experience, so you should probably heed everyone's advice.

Posted Image

#40 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

Ah, Constantine...good stuff ;)

SWG, that's a good idea about possession for battles on the mortal plane, however, Myself just said that to begin with this will only take place in the celestial lands. But should we ever venture to Earth, that seems like a good idea.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users