Photo

Rohan

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

Poll: SEE's Rohan faction!

Rohan as single faction in SEE?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zachrb

zachrb
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:34 AM

*Made into topic from post in Marketing thread* /Naz

Awesome screens. Hey I am a newsposter for Middle Earth Center. Anytime you have something big to announce just tell me and I will post it.

Also as a fan I was wondering whether Rohan would ever be made independent again? Now wilth evil men it would be great to have 4 good fractions and 4 evil. Iwt would also be amazing to have an 8 player match with no mirrors. Plus i dont think its fair for rohan to be pushed in with Gondor. Gondor was much more infantry based and ORhan much more cavalry. I know it would mean more work but would be awesome from a fans perspective. I know Lelegy(the guy who willl most likely be doing the single player part for S.E.E once he gets a preview done) would like Rohan to be seperate for the campaign at least. Plus me and my 3 friends who LAN S.E.E. all the time would love rohan as a n independant nation. ;)

Edited by Nazgûl, 29 January 2009 - 04:48 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

Lol, you seriously need to post better Zac :xd: (As in WHERE you post) ;)

This has been talked about on several occasions btw. Anyway, it's not that I HATE the idea... it's mostly that I hate the WORK of making factions. Making EvilMen has been fun and inspirational but very time consuming. And the thought of making another and 8th faction isn't really inspirering :blink: However, if there was an easy and quick way to do it, I might consider it. It would however (again) make the new EvilMen faction a bit odd too, since they work just like Gondor/Rohan, and maybe they would have to be splitted TOO. Making 9 factions in total - NOT a pleasing thought in terms of work load. So, atm and still, it's highly unlikely this will ever even be planned.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:55 AM

if you really wanted to, you could mod SEE yourself privately. :p

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

Indeed, as long as you don't make as OFFICIAL mod based on an existing mod (without permission), your free to do what you want with ANY mod :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

indeed! ;)

#6 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

Yes, and the primary reason is: hard coded and also that I don't want to exclude either Rohan or Gondor. Either they stay as now or as separate faction, but if separated, I have to separate Rhun/Harad too = WAY too much work.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#7 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:59 AM

Besides, MOTW vs. MOTE sounds cool :unsure: (that's a joke btw, I know that's not the name for the evil men but it sounds cool)

What you oughta do Nazgul is make a BIG announcement in the modding forum that says 'Rohan/Gondor will NOT be separated and NEITHER will Rhun/Harad' lol

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

But in the heart of its power lies weakness...

It takes but a single candle to hold it back...

Love is more then a candle...

Love can ignite the stars.

#8 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

I dont think it would be necessary to seperate MOTE if MOTW became Rohan/ Gondor. To me Evil men strike me as a unified force under the banner of Mordor, Unlike Rohan and Gondor, which are seperate kingdoms with no unifying leadership or allegiance. And moviewise. Rohan stood alone in TT there was no gondor helping at helms deep, the two kingdoms didnt become a united force "really" until the black gate.

I have always liked them seperate, I prefer to not have any rohan stuff in gondor or vice versa, as I like to play them exclusively, and boy is it a pain to try and whoop ass using only rohan troops.

Just had a thought, if you were to seperate them, you could use the market as gondors resource structure, and then use the stone worker for an upgrade building.

#9 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:14 AM

Rohan and Gonder weren't united under one banner yet they would answer the call of the other in times of trouble because of an age-old alliance. Ruhn and Harad weren't united under one banner (or even under Mordors) yet they would answer the call of Morder or each other during times of war because of their debt/dependence to/on Mordor and their shared age old alliance.

It makes sense to play those 'four' factions as two combined factions because - if you think about it - they are played together because they share the same general 'area' of the world.

Hence, Men of the West and Men of the East

Edited by Grig, 17 September 2008 - 07:20 AM.

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

#10 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:08 AM

Ehh...I still think Rohan and Gondor should be one faction that you toggle in the beginning and stick with. That way, you can't overwhelm the enemy with heroes alone....
If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#11 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

Mapper,Begginer Modeler and Animator

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Projects:World Builder Battle Of the Crater Map BFME2

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:15 AM

Rohan is for Early Game I think,at least,thats what I use it for.Gondor is for real siege and attack,Rohan for Minimal Defense if you do not have much money.
What is the motherland,when you know you weren't born of land?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:02 AM

Nothing is really "for" anything. I just wanted Rohan to be added to the game again, and if anything, they're a backup to Gondor. Even if they might not really need it :p The idea I guess was to have them reinforce Gondor in late game (like in the movies). But that was hard coded, and mostly you see Rohan in early game anyway.

Rohan has grown immensly for Beta 4.7 though, with the adding of Royal Guard, and soon also Rohan Milita Spearmen. So, i'm not really apaled by the idea of separating them or anything. They have enough units to cover it, but it's mostly the work load I don't want. I'm still struggling to get the Rhun fortress in and the idea of having to find a modeler to do Rohan fortress, Rohan walls and whatnot AND code this second new fortress in game is not wery appealing.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#13 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

Mapper,Begginer Modeler and Animator

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Projects:World Builder Battle Of the Crater Map BFME2

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:25 AM

hm,there are Edoras Walls you know,I think I saw a map with Edoras walls,but you could walk on them.It was for Bfme2 somehow.
What is the motherland,when you know you weren't born of land?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:35 AM

...those were the walls from bfme1.

/lame.

@Naz- Yeah...that would discourage just about anybody....but the idea is soooo cool...and coding wise it wouldn't be that hard....just duplicate the MotW coding and splice it all up evenly....

But the hard part is REALLY hard, so ehh. No matter what you decide, this mod will always kick serious ass in my book, Naz. :p

Edited by Garrison Nomad, 18 September 2008 - 02:35 AM.

If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#15 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:12 AM

Thanks GN :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#16 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:02 AM

WOOT, WOOT! Im so glad that your not appalled by the idea, I totally understand why you wouldnt want to add to your work load. SEE is my favorite Mod, I like RJ for its diversity but SEE has a much more strategic and siege warfare style of play, the only thing that SEE has lacked in my humble opinion is Rohan as a seperate faction. If I could find time I would learn to code just to implement Rohan as a seperate faction in SEE.

#17 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:33 AM

If I would get help, I would do it :p I've fallen in love with Rohan since I:

- Added the awesome Royal Guard models by Celeglin, both mounted and foot, with somewhat developed skins
- Added random Rohan shield textures for Rohirrim and Peasants
- Added random and way more Rohan-ish random textures for Rohan Archers. Skins by me and Downfall
- About to add Rohan Milita Spearmen, with random textures too

With someone to help me:
1) Make a Rohan fortress
2) Code the fortress in, both INIs and WB

...i'd do it. But NOT for Beta 4.7 though :p
ANd since I won't find any helpl, this is not very likely tp happen. I might not even get the Rhun fortress in, and that would mean I have to release 4.7 with a Mordor fortress for Rhûn. Lame, but what to do...

Anyway, Rohan has really grown on me :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#18 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:37 AM

I don't think anyone could be appalled by the idea of having Rohan as a separate faction... though I still say it doesn't make much sense.

If we're going to separate each 'faction' of the men when are we gonna do the various Dwarven families? Or the two or three Elven settlements? Rivendell Elves and Blue Mountain Dwarves alongside Rohan, Gondor, the Iron Hills dwarves and all the various different groups? The list goes on and on of what COULD be created from the various 'sects and peoples' in the world of Middle Earth...

But the problem of 'balance', 'coding', modeling and animating still comes to the forefront. Just how 'unique' does each faction get to be before its a mindless copy with different parts?

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

#19 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:25 AM

Mindless copy? :p Rohan is a cavalry based faction, Gondor is infantry based. As for the other factions, like dwarves and elves they shouldnt even be in the game if its a movie mod. just remember there are 2 sides to this coin, and if you want the flip side to breaking every faction into individual clans / kingdoms you could just consolidate and have 2 factions: Good and Evil. :p

The lesser races dont play a huge role in the films, and dont deserve or need to have spotlights on them. Gondor, Rohan, Mordor, and Isengard are the chief factions they should get the main spotlight. Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, and Evil men play lesser roles and even though they are significant to the story they really dont need to be broken down into their respective kingdoms / clans.

@ Naz: What about using the golden hall as the fortress? granted expansions would be a problem, but like you said this something for post 4.7 and there isnt any need to do any brain thumping when you already have other problems to iron out. :p

#20 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

*sigh* I was talking about long term - I've nothing against Rohan but I, personally, enjoy sending the two combined factions into battle against their enemies. I like how the flaws of the two factions are balanced out when they fight in battle - the cavalry running into battle with the infantry coming in behind with the tankish trenchbuckets.

It just seems 'movie-ish' and proper for the two factions to fight side by side. I wasn't trying to be rude or saying how the mod should be done - I was just saying that MOTW (with the changes Nazgul has done) seems like one of the most complete factions in the game.

Even if its 'supposed' to be two.

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users