Photo

Punishing Crimes

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Punishing Crimes

What do you think should happen to murders, rapists and other trully fucked up crims?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

But only after they've completed the sentence, however harsh it may have been. There should be no such thing as early release or time off for good behaviour.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#42 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

I went with firing squad, but I think knives are preferable. No ammo waste. A simple stab to the back of the neck (Ustaše-style) is the most efficient way to kill someone. Costs nothing and it's reusable.

And no I don't want to hear shit about "it being more expensive to execute someone". It's only that way because of the current system.

#43 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Can you rehabilitate a murderer? No. Why waste the money and resources for someone who had no respect for someone elses right to life. They took a life that wasn't theirs to take therefore they do not deserve the choice.

I agree prisoners should not get human rights. Their rights are left in the court room where the are convicted and they only get their rights back when their time is up. Murderers however took the rights of another human being permenantly therefore should not expect to receive any in prison.

A bed, food and wash facilities is enough to survive on.

#44 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

How is it expensive to execute people?

Heh, if they want it made cheaper, give me a sharp machete and $200 for every prisoner I execute. I could make it a full time job.

#45 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

In the US it is, apparently. At least that's what the anti-capital punishment idiots say.

If it is, it's probably because of all the political correct humane bullshit that goes around it. I'd say scrap it all. All you need is a knife.

#46 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

It isn't expensive to execute people, it is expensive to "rehabilitate" them. Personally I am against capital punishment unless you have 100% undeniable proof that murder was committed by that/those person(s).

There have been cases where evidence has come to light to prove people on death row are innocent. It is so easy, due to human error, to convict someone wrongly of a crime. That is one of the reasons I am against execution.

Second reason is because I don't think someone who murdered someone has the right to get out of it that easy. If they want to get out of it, they can go top themselves. Real punishment and maybe somewhere they can do some "soul searching as such, is to keep them alive until their natural death.

Gandhi said: An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. I guess you can use that in whatever way you find fit as people do with many quotes, but I think it is an example why we should not have capital punishment.

#47 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

The reason execution is an expensive process is because it begins with a sentence, then follows with an average of about 8 years of appeals, life in prison at the expense of the state anyway, and then has to be done in a humane manner, apparently. That's the part that I never understood. If you're going to kill someone, who cares how much it hurts them?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#48 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

The reason execution is an expensive process is because it begins with a sentence, then follows with an average of about 8 years of appeals, life in prison at the expense of the state anyway, and then has to be done in a humane manner, apparently. That's the part that I never understood. If you're going to kill someone, who cares how much it hurts them?

Eliminate all that excess politically correct humane bullshit and executions cost a one time price of however the knife cost.

#49 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

There's a big debate about how you should define "humane" in this context. Is it humane to execute in such a way that it causes minimal pain, or is it humane to give the victim's families and friends the sense of justice, through revenge?

#50 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Torture is illegal, thats what executions have to be... executed, in a humane manner.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

So how many people here support the death penalty for murderers?

#52 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

Depends on some circumstances for me. Cold-blooded murder definitely, at the least.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#53 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:33 AM

I would think that jail would be a better punishment; a living death, as it were. You keep them behind bars for the rest of their lives, and they'll be tormented every day knowing that if they hadn't committed the crime, they would be free. Plus, it saves... inconvenience if the person was actually innocent. ;)
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#54 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

On the other hand, maybe prison's not so bad. Prisons these days have televisions, sports teams, gyms, libraries, friends get to bunk up together, apart from the whole 'behind bars' thing it's not really such an ordeal. Besides, a cold-blooded killer deserves a cold-blooded death. I don't see how there can be any two ways about it. We all agree that a criminal breaking into your house leaves his rights at the door, so why should a stone-cold killer get off the hook and be provided a life at Her Majesty's expense?

#55 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

I would think that jail would be a better punishment; a living death, as it were. You keep them behind bars for the rest of their lives, and they'll be tormented every day knowing that if they hadn't committed the crime, they would be free. Plus, it saves... inconvenience if the person was actually innocent. :mellow:

That is what I believe.

On the other hand, maybe prison's not so bad. Prisons these days have televisions, sports teams, gyms, libraries, friends get to bunk up together, apart from the whole 'behind bars' thing it's not really such an ordeal. Besides, a cold-blooded killer deserves a cold-blooded death. I don't see how there can be any two ways about it. We all agree that a criminal breaking into your house leaves his rights at the door, so why should a stone-cold killer get off the hook and be provided a life at Her Majesty's expense?

Because a living death, seeing themselves get older might be more punishing that giving them an easy exit. Secondly I don't think prisons should be like that. They are only like that due to liberal ideas on punishment. We should make punishment actually punishment. Secondly you can make prisoners work for the good of society behind bars. They can provide labour for companies and in turn partly pay for their imprisonment and/or privileges within prison.

#56 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Oh yes, I would throw whatever support I could muster behind making prison a lot more of a punishment, but sadly that's not what it is at the moment. It's a fairly cushy lifestyle, so it's not really putting anyone off. A lot of inmates are actually better off inside than they would be in the real world. I would advocate prison labour, off-shore prison hulks for repeat offenders, removal of all privileges unless they are earned at extensive cost to the inmates and generally all forms of making their life more difficult. Prison should be about castigation, not coddling. Being nice to people won't make them change their ways half as well as putting the fear of god into them.

#57 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

As said above, I also believe national service should be a punishment too for petty criminals. Thieves, burgulars, etc. Ever watch those programs "Bad Lads Army" on the UK? Example of how to turn someones life around!

Also would lower our huge prison population and hopefully make good citizens out of poor ones ;)

#58 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

Works for me. I'm also in favour of legalising the vast majority of drugs and releasing all the petty dealers who'll just go home and get high instead. That would free up a hell of a lot of space.

#59 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

maybe they should just put all the crims in one country *looks at new zealand* and let them just kill each other.

#60 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Why put all the criminals in one of the more beautiful countries? If you're going to do that, why not drop them off in the middle of the Sahara?

elvenlordbanner.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users