The Hobbit movie, who looked how, & What I thought

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I have seen the The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey film three times, and I must say: soem differences between how certain characters look in the older games and how they lok in this more recent film.

Firstly, the City of Dale and its military:

In the beginning, we see a yellow-brick city with red-tile roofs, and people all over the place enjoying their lives more than Gondorian and Rohirric civilians enjoy theirs. Then, when Smaug attacks, we see the Warriors of this Kingdom, who look sort of like Jerusalem Saracen Captains from Assassin's Creed 1, with the Dalish having Bronze armor instead of steel, added with the armor being full-plate rather than lamellar (scales stitched together). They even have the conical helmets, but two things else make these Men of Dale stand out: dark red cape on every single Warrior of Dale, and a thick black wrapping along the bottom of the helm.

Next, we talk Dwarven soldiers and their home of Erebor:

Their helmets give them a faceless menace from the nose up, and they have chainmail-backed lamellar all over their bodies. They didn't look anything like I expected them to: They had spears that looked like triangular butcher-knives at the tips, and they had round shields. I was expecting Tridents and polygonal shields, but that's because of something I am well aware of: not all expectations are met. They did have double-headed and single-headed axes, though, which is very expected. Their home castle had two Dwarven axeman statues on the outside, and the gate is smaller than I thought it was gonna be, and the balcony didn't look very castle-siege-proof (other than height-wise, I'll say).

Then, we talk about Thranduil and his Elves:

A Third suit of Elven armor, eh? I thought Greenwood Elves didn't have armor. And apparently their cavalry units ride deer, because Thranduil was riding a dear and not a horse, which makes me ask: Is Legolas the only Greenwood Elf that rides Horses instead of riding deer?

Lastly, what I thought of the movie on a whole:

The movie was very fun for me, not so much so as the original film trilogy, but there's a lot to look up to in this film. The characters are respectable, the plot is solid, and it reveals a lot of much-speculated info within the first 49 minutes of itself (the whole movie is 169 minutes). I do have to say though, of all of the Thorin's Company Dwarves, Dwalin was my favorite. He eats a fish-head (funny), plays the lute (medieval Irish violin, personally likeable to me because I am myself Irish), he proves to be the most lethal fighter in the whole Company, he doesn't seem to need a long-range combat device, he is very respectful of Bilbo and Gandalf, more so than especially Thorin, and in Goblin Town he is the most tactically brilliant of the 13, willing to use a long ballister to push Goblin hordes aside when crossing the bridge. He also doesn't get imtimidated at all by the enemies, instead he stands up to every single one, yet is calm when unexpected allies like Radagast and the Elves come rushing his way. He also consults with the rest of the company before making a travel-based decision, and saves both Thorin and Bilbo simultaneously from an enormous fall. It was also nice to see Saruman as a good character, and I love the way he points out Radagast's "considerable habbit with mushrooms". Elrond returning was also nice, and I especially like that Howard Shore came up with new music. He can always be trusted to make true-to-the-scene music that is as new as the cinema its made for, and he triumphs once again at this feat. If I had to give this film a percentage grade, I would give it an 87% or so. I am going to hopefully see it a fourth time with my best friend :thumbsupxd:

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#2 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

The Mirkwood Elves didn't have good armour during the Last Alliance and because of that and their stupidity they lose a lot of their people.
Chances are they would have improved on their armour and probably would have traded for it at some point.
The Mirkwood elves are kind of the hicks of the elven world.
It never made sense to me why LOTR films gave Legolas so much importance since in the book he and his people achieved so little.

The Erebor dwarves I thought were armed much better than I was expecting when I first saw the screens of the armour I thought that they were elites but it looks like almost all of the warriors had that armour.

Thranduil is the only Elk rider shown so far (I guess that means the scene of the Deer being hunted will probably be changed.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#3 Duke

Duke

Doctor Doctor!

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

It would be interesting for the WETA guys to make a wee clip talking about some of their inspiration for some of the armour/weapons designs. There's some sweet work there :p

It never made sense to me why LOTR films gave Legolas so much importance since in the book he and his people achieved so little.

Legolas is portrayed pretty *awesomely* in the movies but yeah, fair point. I'm guessing Peter Jackson had to concede a lot of things in order to make films that sell to the greater mainstream.

I re-read LOTR recently and I remember thinking at the point when they have picked 7 members of the fellowship Elrond suggests he fill the other two places with people from his house. Once he allows Merry and Pippin to come I remember Gandalf saying something like: Even Glorfindel, with the power that is within him he couldn't storm the dark tower.

I'm just sitting there like! :o He could try though!!

It'd make a pretty awesome movie to have Glorfindel or the sons of elrond or some other elven bad-asses tearing some shit up on the way to Mordor :p

It'd be silly.

Back on topic, I have to disagree with you Emperer, on the topic of Saruman. I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes set in Rivendell in the Hobbit as it's a really beautifully created setting and it was always pretty rushed in LOTR. It seemed a lot more gentle, more relaxed, more 'rivendellish' somehow.

In regards to Saruman, I know Christopher Lee is older than jesus and it was great to see his wee cameo but objectively it wasn't that great. I don't know if Saruman really was plotting as early on as this (I doubt it) but he definitely came across very much "I'm evil but you just don't know it yet" (this was a remark from some of my friends with much less lotr-lore/addiction). I thought the mushrooms comment was a funny gag, but just not right, didn't fit and made Saruman look like a fool.

I thought Thorin was very good, I don't know about this whole carry-on with the white warg etc. etc. but I guess we'll see what they do with this. The acting I thought was superb and casting very good (Though I enjoyed that dude in Spooks so..maybe a little biased). I thought he did a good job with a pretty complex character.

Gandalf was fricken AWESOME, I think Sir Ian did an amazing job of showing a more light-hearted Gandalf and he delivered the part BEAUTIFULLY (some excellent lines the writers have added in there that he nailed beautifully).

Gollum looked better than ever! My biggest peeve though, was that bloody scene in the Goblin caves with the stupid falling scaffolding thing. Why does PJ have this obsession with these silly environmental SFX things.... Just unnecessary I thought.

Lastly I thought Martin Freeman was bloody perfect as Bilbo. Details of lore and over-the-top SFX aside I think most of the acting and dialogue was bloody good. It was very much the "spirit" of the Hobbit, or the feeling you get reading it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users