Narnia in BFME

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#41 haadurin

haadurin
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:36 AM

If this mod goes BFME II, you MUST make Aslan the Ring-Hero for Narnia. The White Witch as the Ring-Hero for Evil, and Caspian IX for the Telmarines.

Also, you should have Aslan's How as the Narnian Fortress with Dwarven Archer sentries (the Dwarves are mainly archers).

First of all, while we appreciate suggestions, we would perfer it if you would suggest what we COULD or MIGHT do, not what we SHOULD or MUST do. No offense if that was in any way offensive, but unless you wanted to join the crew, I don't like it when people use a demanding tone like that.

Sorry, I never intended to throw out anything sounding like demands; perhaps you're too quickly offended. I am merely a huge fan, and I was just spewing enthusiastic possibilities. When I said "must", that was more along the lines of "oh my god, you 'have' to do this because it would be SO cool!"

Anyway, is there any actual modeling or mapping progress being done on this mod so far? I tried to glean what I could from this topic, but I didn't get much about progress (I know very little could have been made by now, but still).

Cheers, and good luck to you on your mod. Let's just say that if you make this awesome, I'll be reinstalling BFME I in a heartbeat.

#42 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts
  •  Coder/ini/FX writer, Skinner

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

I think the 'mod team' is hoping for modders to join to make the models and skins etc. From your ideas you will need animators as well, there are very few and literally none that would have the time-so my guess is the mod won't go much further than ideas.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Ive had this Aslan for a while now, It could be used. However, hes using the wolf animations, So.. He cant attack.

You shouldnt have much trouble throwing in a few test units. Such as, Wolfs, Tigers, Bears, Rhinos, Foxes(?), Dogs(?). However, They would need someone to create there attack animations.

#44 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Projects:BFME: "The Battle for Narnia" mod
  •  Coming to terms with my great loss...

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

If this mod goes BFME II, you MUST make Aslan the Ring-Hero for Narnia. The White Witch as the Ring-Hero for Evil, and Caspian IX for the Telmarines.

Also, you should have Aslan's How as the Narnian Fortress with Dwarven Archer sentries (the Dwarves are mainly archers).

First of all, while we appreciate suggestions, we would perfer it if you would suggest what we COULD or MIGHT do, not what we SHOULD or MUST do. No offense if that was in any way offensive, but unless you wanted to join the crew, I don't like it when people use a demanding tone like that.

Sorry, I never intended to throw out anything sounding like demands; perhaps you're too quickly offended. I am merely a huge fan, and I was just spewing enthusiastic possibilities. When I said "must", that was more along the lines of "oh my god, you 'have' to do this because it would be SO cool!"

Anyway, is there any actual modeling or mapping progress being done on this mod so far? I tried to glean what I could from this topic, but I didn't get much about progress (I know very little could have been made by now, but still).

Cheers, and good luck to you on your mod. Let's just say that if you make this awesome, I'll be reinstalling BFME I in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry if I offended you. Huge fans are welcome here. Continue spewing out ideas. Why did you uninstall BFME 1 in the first place? BFME 1 is so much better in my opinion.

To Grizzlez...UNLESS YOU WANT TO HELP US, PLEASE TAKE YOUR ENDLESS CRITICISM SOMEWHERE ELSE! IT IS REALLY BEGINNING TO GET ANNOYING! Criticise our work, that is productive. Just sit here and give us grief about modding...THAT is just annoying! I think that we will really only need 1 good animator with the time to help us to fix whatever we throw at him/her. And even if no one joins...Well just put it on hold until we can do it all ourselves! Or perhaps we can make the game work with existing animations. If you want to help, great. If not, go give someone else grief.

To Flameguard, your Aslan looks really cool, but the only problem I can see is that compared to the real Aslan, he's tiny! Nothing a bit of tampering can't fix though. As for other units. Wolves, Big Cats, Bears, and Rhinos will definately be done. Dogs and foxes havent been discussed yet. If we do have dogs, they will most likely be slightly smaller versions of wolves. I believe i speak for Jeth and myself when i say if you want to help out, we would greatly appreciate it.
There is much I choose to conceal from the world. I live among people, though they hold little interest for me in times of normality. My life has been quiet, and confined to what little I can glimpse from the fractures of my high life. I am a king. My realm is not of this world, but how can one rule what exists not in reality? I am a writer. I am a king. I am...alone.

The greatest of wealth can come from the smallest of men. From the smallest of wealth can come the greatest of men.

"http://www.majhost.c...pics/co_sig.jpg[/img

#45 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

To Flameguard, your Aslan looks really cool, but the only problem I can see is that compared to the real Aslan, he's tiny! Nothing a bit of tampering can't fix though.

I agree, Hes kind of small. Nothing that a simple scale code couldnt fix.

As for other units. Wolves, Big Cats, Bears, and Rhinos will definately be done.

Good to hear, I already have some of these coded in to my game. Your welcome to use the coding.

I believe i speak for Jeth and myself when i say if you want to help out, we would greatly appreciate it.

Due to working in other teams, I wont have time to work on the modification myself im afraid. This may change in the near future, We will see..

#46 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

If it were me, I'd get a working Telmarine faction ingame...they're going to be the easiest by far (with the exception of a Power Tree).

#47 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

To Lauri. While saying things we might need or want to have to make the work go along, like you were doing, is welcome, doing so in a cynical and superior tone like Grizzlez has been doing is not. I understand we will need an animator or two, especially once we start working on some of the models for the beasts.

To Mike. The Telmarine Units would definately be easy, with the exception of the Trebuchets, which Jeth and I need to talk about. Thier Trebuchets are a lot different than thier Gondorian counterparts. Thier buildings and powertree will be difficult, and they are a bit understaffed on heroes. Since Jeth has agreed that Caspian will have his own faction, the only Telmarine heroes are currently King Miraz and Lord Glozelle. Perhaps we could create something like a Telmarine Lord unit which essentially a semi hero who provides leadership to nearby Telmarines, and is a better fighter than your average Telmarine soldier. It could open up a whole new system of strategies and really impact gameplay.
There is much I choose to conceal from the world. I live among people, though they hold little interest for me in times of normality. My life has been quiet, and confined to what little I can glimpse from the fractures of my high life. I am a king. My realm is not of this world, but how can one rule what exists not in reality? I am a writer. I am a king. I am...alone.

The greatest of wealth can come from the smallest of men. From the smallest of wealth can come the greatest of men.

#48 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:44 AM

Well it'd be a good idea to have the current trebuchet ingame until you've got a new, working model.
And check the Wikipedia page for the Prince Caspian movie for a list of possible Telmarine heroes...while it is indeed Wiki, it's better than nothing.

#49 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

Dain is right about magnitude. Basically you're planning three factions. You've planned a dozen buildings, a dozen units, a handful of heroes for each. This is a LOT of work. Even the numbers are tough - that's thirty-odd buildings, thirty-odd units, perhaps twenty heroes adding up to eighty models and skins. This is a *lot* of artwork. Each of those will also need a set of buttons, palantir images, etc. A good deal of the heroes and units will need new animations. Every building will need a buildup state. Every fortified base will need more work than you can possibly imagine (I do not jest). This all adds up.

I'm not saying that it is impossible for a set of new modders to do something like this - it's just not that likely that you will succeed. At RA we had enough trouble putting together a single faction with completely new assets - much less three. My advice would be to just... start small.

Plan ONE faction. Plan it WELL. Think precisely about everything the faction will need. This doesn't mean what powers the heroes will have. This means what buildings will look like, what kind of art each one will need. What units can use stock BFME animations, what units will need new ones (eg centaurs). Where you'll get your models - where you'll get your skins. And you need to cut things. No need to represent every single unit in the film. Just keep the key ones - it will save you work.

Plan the easiest faction to work with. Don't start with the White Witch's army - where you'll need to work with shaders for an ice castle, where you'll need new animations for most units, where all the new units are pretty beastly to model (pun intended). Pick something easier to start with - Narnia isn't quite as bad.

For example, you could make practically every building a tent - like their camp in Wardrobe. Not so tough to model or skin. You'll need some new animations for sure - centaurs will be a pain. Most other units are humanoid and can use standard BFME animations.

Or you might tackle your Telmarine faction. Here you won't have any trouble with animations - everything is human. Buildings will be tougher, but that's about it. Again, there are a lot of models and skins to be done - it's no cakewalk, but with good planning you can succeed.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#50 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:01 AM

okay guys, i have gotten the point. let peace reign, or we will all feel the wrath of Dain's axe.

Folca is right in saying that this is not a total conversion. more like a Narnian expansion pack. Telmarine or Narnian will be first, prolly Narnian because we already have the tech tree done. (it is attached to this post)

this is my plan of operation:

1: finalize details of all tech trees
then one faction at a time, i will
2: set up coding, using stock BFME skins and animations to represent different objects
3:slowly reskin and animate where necessary
4:FX editing and whatever else
5: finish up loose ends
6: release beta

i apologize if i have said anything too rough or mean; im just simply tired of people telling me i will fail.

Edited by Jeth Calark, 11 June 2008 - 02:08 AM.

#51 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:46 AM

Jeth, I looked at the tech tree. It looks ok, but I have a few comments on it.

Unitwise, i like the Beasts idea for infantry. It adds in a lot of the narnian units, but keep Nertea's suggestions in mind, as that will require a lot of new animations. Same note as to the Fauns using swords instead of glaives when they get close. As for the Satyrs, I think that thier unit should include Faun Swordsmen and be renamed Narnian Vanguards. It would fit, since Satyrs seem to be less common in the army than fauns. It makes it a bit less out of line with the movie. Lastly, I think that the Faun Spearmen shouldn't switch to blades. It makes it a unit in need of new animations, a truckload of coding to make them only use swords against other infantry, since it would give them a disadvantage against the cavalry in real life. The Dwarven archers can use swords in close combat thanks to the Animations of the Ithilien Rangers.

Buildingwise, I only suggest that the Centaur hall be as open and airy as possible, seeing as Centaurs dissapprove of Large buildings in thier woods.

I still agree with Nertea and Mike on the idea of doing the Telmarine Faction first, as it would require combarively minimal unit animations. But if your hell-bent on the Narnia faction being done first, I'm game I guess.

Edited by Folca the Hunter, 11 June 2008 - 02:46 AM.

#52 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:55 AM

on second thought, considering the debate we have been through lately, sure. here is the updated Narnian tech tree.

as for which faction we will create first, im not going to argue about it now.

#53 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

Topic cleaned up. Non relevant/necessary posts removed. Lets try and let this topic stay on topic, aye?

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 11 June 2008 - 08:17 PM.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#54 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Topic cleaned up. Non relevant/necessary posts removed. Lets try and let this topic stay on topic, aye?

Thanks Dain Ironfoot, Lord of Erebor.

Edited by Folca the Hunter, 11 June 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#55 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:27 PM

I had some spare time earlier, I did some random things. I created the following,

Fox
Wolf
Bear
Tiger
Dog
Cheetah
Panther
Unicorn
Eagle

Only the eagle has an attack animation, So.. The rest kind of just use another animation when they have to attack :p Most of them have 1-3 random textures so they dont look the same.

Screenshot

#56 Folca the Hunter

Folca the Hunter
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:21 AM

I had some spare time earlier, I did some random things. I created the following,

Fox
Wolf
Bear
Tiger
Dog
Cheetah
Panther
Unicorn
Eagle

Only the eagle has an attack animation, So.. The rest kind of just use another animation they have to attack :p Most of them have 1-3 random textures so they dont look the same.

Screenshot

Wow. I hope you keep having some spare time.

#57 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:06 AM

I started on this yesterday, Texture needs alot of work still. Started working on the animations aswell, Walk & Run animations done (Easy ones :p ).

Work In Progress.. Screen

#58 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

Now that I think about it a bit, wasn't there somebody else around doing a Narnia mod? Or at least a centaur...

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#59 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:35 AM

thanks from me too, Dain.

@Nertea: someone alerted me to one on another website, but i checked it out and it looked discontinued. Nothing new had been put up. It was for BFME II anyways.

@Flameguard: *prays to God that Flameguard has lots of free time* cool stuff you got. could you please put all your work in a zip file and send it to me and Folca? that would be sweet.

btw, is it just me, or do the centaurs look smaller than regular horses? not a problem though.

@Folca: um, if Narnia doesn't have walls, that means they should have sentry towers, right? new tech tree below.
i also included what i have for Telmar. Not much, Telmar doesn't seem to be very magical. ask if anything seems unresolved.

#60 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

The horse body, Is the same size as a normal horse in the game. Maybe just the zoom level..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users