Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

I have no clue, my best guess is their AI is determined elsewhere, this could possibly be done in map scripts, or other places, in which case my ability to help you much more in this matter is gone due to not knowing how Edain did it's AI.

Have you tried contacting someone in the Edain team?

Ridder Geel

#62 Stefanelo93

Stefanelo93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

I have no clue, my best guess is their AI is determined elsewhere, this could possibly be done in map scripts, or other places, in which case my ability to help you much more in this matter is gone due to not knowing how Edain did it's AI.

Have you tried contacting someone in the Edain team?

No, but that's my next move.

Thanks for the help.

:)

#63 Stefanelo93

Stefanelo93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

If you want to remove them because, like me, you hate how early some factions build them and how they take some of the fun out of  game, then I would suggest not removing them but changing how the game uses them.

For example:

You could change how late the AI actually builds the structure that creates them (by gingo into the base files and changing the siege structures to Phase 3 with a priority of like 50)

You could change at what level the siege structures have to be before they can build them.

You could increase the cost of them.

You could change how many of them the AI wants to build (by going to skirmishaidate and changing the PercentageOfArmyPhase# in their ArmyMemberDefinition to something like 1.0)

If you want more information on these ideas, just ask.

If you still just want to remove them though, I would personally suggest just commenting out the command buttons from the siege structures command sets. If they can't be bought, the AI (and you) can't use them and it shouldn't cause any problems with the AI.

The thing you'll want to keep in mind is that not all factions use trebuchets, some factions use ents or mumakil as siege weapons as siege and you don't want to unbalance the game.

I require your assistance! ..I play with Edain Mod, but none of this works, can you explain step by step process with Final Big editor or whatever way you do it?

Thans!

#64 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:52 AM

Have you tried asking on the Edain forums? (Are they still active?) We would love to help you here but the problem is we don't know how Edain has their code structured, so we can't really direct you to the proper place to make changes.

Look and see if Edain has an active forum, and try asking there.

If you can't find the answer by asking them, the wisest thing to do would be to learn what we are trying to explain, take that knowledge and then try to comb through Edain to see if you can resolve the matter on your own.

A quick crash course on modding:

EA compiles the massive amount of files into large files with the .big extension, the names of the files will give you an indication of what they contain. ini.big contains all the written code that the game uses. This .big file CAN be edited directly but within it is the ENTIRETY of the code in one massive file. This is messy and easy to get lost and cause crashes.

You should make your own mod. Make a folder, use FinalBIG to open and extract the contents of ini.big into your new folder. You'll see a directory like so '(your folder)\data\ini' and inside will now be individual .ini files separated instead of everything contained in the ini.big file. These individual .ini files can be edited.

When you make changes that you're interested in (a good first step is changing starting cash in playertemplate.ini) you can open FinalBIG again, and with it blank you can drag/drop the DATA folder that is in your new mod folder into FinalBIG, then save the file from FinalBIG to a new .big file "yourmod.big"

Navigate to your "My Battle for Middle-earth files" (or II or ROTWK), an example of where mine is located: "C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Roaming\My The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king Files".

Place "yourmod.big" in this folder.

Copy your default game shortcut which you would normally use to launch the game. Paste a copy of it. Right click on the copy and go to Properties. In the TARGET line, you add -mod "yourmod.big" at the end of it. Here is an example of mine: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" -mod "ProjectUndeadViking.big"

Hit OK and then launch the game using this new shortcut. If you did it correctly, your changes should appear in game.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#65 Stefanelo93

Stefanelo93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

Have you tried asking on the Edain forums? (Are they still active?) We would love to help you here but the problem is we don't know how Edain has their code structured, so we can't really direct you to the proper place to make changes.

If you can't find the answer by asking them, the wisest thing to do would be to learn what we are trying to explain, take that knowledge and then try to comb through Edain to see if you can resolve the matter on your own.

EA compiles the massive amount of files into large files with the .big extension, the names of the files will give you an indication of what they contain. ini.big contains all the written code that the game uses. This .big file CAN be edited directly but within it is the ENTIRETY of the code in one massive file. This is messy and easy to get lost and cause crashes.

You should make your own mod. Make a folder, use FinalBIG to open and extract the contents of ini.big into your new folder. You'll see a directory like so '(your folder)\data\ini' and inside will now be individual .ini files separated instead of everything contained in the ini.big file. These individual .ini files can be edited.

When you make changes that you're interested in (a good first step is changing starting cash in playertemplate.ini) you can open FinalBIG again, and with it blank you can drag/drop the DATA folder that is in your new mod folder into FinalBIG, then save the file from FinalBIG to a new .big file "yourmod.big"

Navigate to your "My Battle for Middle-earth files" (or II or ROTWK), an example of where mine is located: "C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Roaming\My The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king Files".

Copy your default game shortcut which you would normally use to launch the game. Paste a copy of it. Right click on the copy and go to Properties. In the TARGET line, you add -mod "yourmod.big" at the end of it. Here is an example of mine: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" -mod "ProjectUndeadViking.big"

Hit OK and then launch the game using this new shortcut. If you did it correctly, your changes should appear in game.

Unfortunately, no one from Edain team answered my messages.I'm not sayin' that they are dead, but no response for a month means something.

I will try to follow your advice Vileartist, though I am a hopeless knob with such things.

I will give you a heads up if I manage something.

Thanks!

#66 Stefanelo93

Stefanelo93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

...I tried everything..I simply can't make it work.

I give up, if you want to help me via the Teamviewer if you have the time that is the only way to do it.Thanks

#67 Stefanelo93

Stefanelo93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

Yeah I tried all of the instructions that you fellas gave, but I simply cannot make rotwk work.

I did it with BFME 1 but with this I simply give up.

I spent months attempting to mod it to make AI stop using ballistas and catapults but it doesn't work.

The biggest thing I done is to make them not use it on some maps where you start with camps and castles like Helm's deep, but generally it doesn't work.

I give up.

If there is someone patient and willful enough to help me the only way is to make contact with me on skype and use TeamViewer because it shouldn't take long.

My skype name is stefan.misic9 (Stefan Misic) ...

Thank you!

#68 Andyjac66

Andyjac66
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

The first question that I have for you is how are you set up for modding? Are you creating a mod using the -mod command method?

To remove the siege units the easiest way is to go into commandset.ini and find the siegeworks buildings. In there you just remove the lines that are for the bsllista and catapults.

For the AI to stop using them, there us a different ini that you have to edit. I believe it is called aiskirmishdata.ini (though I might be wrong)

I know this was from YEARS ago but I recently downloaded my BFME2 again with RotWK and Age of the Ring. 

I've been able to change this easily in the past, going into the .ini files in the skirmish data for Gondor, removing their catapults. For some reason, I can't seem to find how to do it now. 

In terms of actually getting into the skirmish data, how would I locate this? All of my files are BIG Files (.big) I can't find any .ini files anywhere. 

It would be great if anyone had step by step instructions and what specific software I need to download to open up any files I need to change. The last time I did this, I remember just opening up a notepad document, removing some code/changing some values to 0 and it worked. 

Thank you to anyone who has read this!

Andrew

#69 Andyjac66

Andyjac66
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:37 AM

Yeah I tried all of the instructions that you fellas gave, but I simply cannot make rotwk work.

I did it with BFME 1 but with this I simply give up.

I spent months attempting to mod it to make AI stop using ballistas and catapults but it doesn't work.

The biggest thing I done is to make them not use it on some maps where you start with camps and castles like Helm's deep, but generally it doesn't work.

I give up.

If there is someone patient and willful enough to help me the only way is to make contact with me on skype and use TeamViewer because it shouldn't take long.

My skype name is stefan.misic9 (Stefan Misic) ...

Thank you!

Did you manage to find out how to do it at all? I need someone to help me over Skype/Zoom/Teams too!

#70 qoob_qoob

qoob_qoob
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:57 PM

hello from 2021)) I need it too guys. Help us someone

#71 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:32 AM

The answers are actually in this post thread

but you have to know basic BFME2 coding , and maybe scripting if needed

once you set up a functional -MOD folder , you test that it is functional by giving Aragorn some new health or lower build cost 

A -MOD folder is a folder that contains all the necessary contents to allow for changes 

usually INI.big , once extracted using Finalbig program is sufficient for beginners 

or try creating a Map , and saving it , and playing it in game 

by this I mean extract an existing map from Maps.ini and adjusting something like a tree , and see if your new map is read in game , once you save it correctly 

-MOD folder makes this coding very easy , it’s the beginners steps 

1. Adjusting the frequency of the catapults etc , in skirmishaidata.ini 

2. Deleting the command button line , in commandsets.ini

3. Scripting the individual map , to disallow that catapult specifically for ALL players 

all of the above will work , and give you any desired outcome 

1.Adjusting the frequency will get it to 0% , never built , or other percentage for lesser build frequency 

2. Deleting the button totally removes the item and no-one will build it

3. Scripting also will have no one build it , but can be on a set timer , so that a script to allow building the unit activates after a set time ( like 1 hour etc )

but basic mod setup , or map creating should be your first goal 

then searching the file(s) in Windows for the word catapult , will show you many things 

and playing with scripts , by opening a blank map in WorldBuilder , the program that is stored in the same directory as the main game 

allows for map creating and script testing 

#72 elJoe

elJoe
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:06 PM

With BFME 2 1.09 the skirmishaidata.ini you need to edit is in:

__BT2DC-v1.09w.big

Make sure to backup the big file and edit it with finalbig (https://www.moddb.co...inal-big-editor)

Cheers

#73 tritzzz

tritzzz
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 06:08 PM

Okay this is driving me nuts, if anyone is still active id love some help. This is more for just ego sake at this point but i cant figure this out. I have done everything this post has said and at first it was 1 of 2 issues 

the game was just crashing even when i only changed values of the ai spawn rate for siege units

or when testing out ( starting gold increase/ Aragorn buffs) like stated above for help they just didn't work at all, but the game ran fine.

My guess is there's a different file I should be accessing like the most recent post on this thread stated, but the same issues occurred.

Now I have an even worse problem of the ai will not build anything other than resource buildings (except men faction) and i have completely uninstalled the game and patch switcher then reinstalled twice.

I will also let it be known it is a online downloaded version of bfme2 and not a disc version if that matters at all, at this point all my hair will be ripped out lol so please help!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users