98 replies to this topic

#61 Starmie

Starmie
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  •  He of the night

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

Well, if we're listing...

5. CNC rocked, even Generals to a certain extent. Addictive, fun, great storylines (mostly) and gameplay that made the time fly past.

4. KOTOR 2 must have eaten about six months of my life. I've played it through about four times now, for light and dark endings.

3. Star Wars: Battlefront II is one of my all-time favourites. Maybe it's because I'm a Star Wars aficionado, but it is sadistically fun to jump in an AT-AT and blast the Rebel scum off the face of Hoth.

2. Mario Kart DS is disturbingly addictive and frustrating at times, but it is to date my second favourite DS game. Honestly, Mario still has that patented longevity.

As you can guess from my username, my #1 game/series of all time is...

Pokémon (note the acute above the "e").
Horrifyingly absorbing, these games stared a craze waaaay back. When I got Blue for Christmas one year it started a long love affair with the franchise that persists to this day. Pokémon Diamond isn't even out in Britain and I got one off eBay. Even the animé wasn't half bad for younger viewers; in fact, I watched one of the newer movies recently (the one with Deoxys, Rayquaza and the big city almost getting blown up) and I was pleasantly surprised. Diamond Version is the best yet, with the darkest storyline and far more believable dialogue.

One criticism I would have is the necessity of EV training for competitive battling. My God, this is so unbelievable. Formulae, maths and other demented shit...I just want to bash someone in with my Weezing, not build a fucking time machine and sonic screwdriver to boot. Anyways...Starmie and Jirachi rule!

Edited by Starmie, 15 July 2007 - 02:05 PM.

Team completion - 25%

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#62 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

Battlefront II was...argh... :ninja: It lost its spark after an hour or two's play...

Gotta give shouts-out to Shadow Hearts trilogy now that I've played those games. They' absolutely pwn.

As for a shitlist...Constructor must surely feature on it.

#63 Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th

Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

1) Final Fantasy VII

2) Medieval - Total War (The first one)

3) Timesplitters -series

4) Advance Wars -series

5) Operation Flashpoint/Armed Assault

Honorable mensions: Little Fighter 2 ;) , Metal Slug -series.

(And World in Conflict looks like it could replace MTW1 when it first comes out. Of course, only time will tell. ;) )

BTW; Never really liked any of the Zeldas. It's something about the whole "We are a whole kingdom with a vast, standing army, but we're going to send a 14-year old elf/fairy/gnome to do all the dirty work for us while we stand on the sidelines and just watch." -bullshit I just don't like. The whole "Only YOU can save the world. We're going to send YOU, and only YOU. You'll be all alone, all the time, and the only "help" you'll ever get, is the occational NPC who'll give you a bit of advice." -phenomenon is a bit too... Super Nintendo to me. :xd: Who'd risk their lives to rescue a nation of scaredy-cat damsels in distress whose soldiers are so crap they can't even protect their castle from being infiltrated by a ten-year old boy, anyways? Bah. Screw 'em.

And Medieval 2 - Total War was the biggest, most bug-riddled piece of gaming cellulite I've had the massive misfortune of ever having bought. :lol:

Edited by Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th, 17 July 2007 - 01:25 AM.

#64 Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

All I've played of Final Fantasy VIII, was the first few levels. Quall was a bit too clichèd for me, but then again, so was Cloud before you got to "know" him, I guess. Something I keep noticing is that people who have played VII first tends to prefer VII, whereas those who have played VIII tends to prefer that one.

#65 GodSun666

GodSun666

Marching Trough The Eternal Fields Of Chaos!

• Banned
  • 1,439 posts
  • Projects:Fast Fun And Crazy for Red Alert 3

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

well here is my list of games i enjoyed.. they ARENT in an list of good to bad:P

be aware My TOP 60!

1. AGE OF EMPIRES 1 and 2 3 is also nice ;) ; the game i played as kid whole day long really own some!

2. Command and Conquer Series ; also enjoyed and still enjoying!

3. Warzone 2100 a game not to forgot! BEST CAMAPIN EVER!! BEST AI EVER!

4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Really great game i certainly enjoyed it for several hours!

5. Battlefield Series ; Enjoyed all of them Except BF VIETNAM kinda lacked something..

6. Rise of Nations ; Enjoyed this game alot

7. Unreal series ; ENJOYED UNREAL 2 Campain the most!

8. Company Of Heroes ; Great game

9. Submarine Titans ; GREAT GAME !! Played it alot!

10. Starcraft ; GREAT GAME!

11. some starwars 2 game.. i dont remember from the upview.. ejoyed it alot..

12. Halo ; enjoyed alot

13. Soldner ; Great Game!! (you know the massive uber pwn some FPS wich is still geting updated and still rocks)

14. Prey ; just have it but its great

15. C&C3 ; desrvers its own spot! really a great game lots of fun!

16. Medal Of honor series ; ALL VERY GOOD!

17. Darkreign series ; Great games!

18. WOW ; Great Game!

19. HL SERIES ; GREAT SERIES!

20. SONIC SERIES ; GREAT SERIES!

21. Maxpayn series ; GREAT SERIE

22. AGE OF MYTHOLGY ; GREAT GAME!! to bad my disk 1 or disk 2 wont work(forgot) gives install eror of sme file not found..(alot of scratches)

23. Z: STEEL SOLDIERS ; LOTS OF FUN!

24. KOTOR ; lots of fun

25. OBLIVION ; LOTS OF FUN

26. MOROWIND ; lots of fun

27. SOF

28. enter the matrix

29. Delta Force series

30. GUN

31. KOTOR

32. Warcraft series

33. Starcraft

34. Joint ops

35. TOMBRAIDER SERIES ; REALLY GOOD

36. uber soldier

37. Mission humanity

38. Empire Earth series ; GOOD

39. ARMY MEN

40. GTA 2

41. GTA 3

42 GTA VICE CITY

43 GTA San Andreas

44. TIBERIAN SUN

45. COMMAND AND CONQUER 95

46. RED ALERT

47. RED ALERT2 YURIS REVENGE

48. Red Alert 2

49. GHOST RECON SERIEs; enjoy!

50. SPELLFORCE series ; ENJOYED!

51. HIDEN AND DANGEROUS ;

52. QUAKE SERIES

53. WOLFEN STEIN SERIES ; GREAT LOVE EM AL!!

54. DOOM SERIES ; Good Game

55. rollercoaster

56. theme park

57. shelshock

58. BMFE SERIES

59. Breed

60. black hawk down

____

will edit once more games come to mind ;)
для матери Россия! Советский Союз победит! Америка может облизывать мои яйца
Posted Image
Posted Image

#66 Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:17 PM

Yeah. Like I said, I haven't really played FFVIII enough to be able to give a fair statement about it. ;)

Edited by Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th, 16 July 2007 - 10:17 PM.

#67 Elerium

Elerium

Road test? Me? But I gotta go save the world!

• Project Team
  • 631 posts
  •  Temporal Agent

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

Philastines! Stop playing some the new games (in which some are crappy)! Play good oldies like Imperium Galactica, Wing Commander and X-Com! ;)

It just gets on my nerves when people say stuff like 'zomg halo r teh best' when theres a hell load of other games which although they didn't get hype like many new games nowdays were awesome and in need re-discovering, plus they defined gaming.

Not saying all new games are crappy, but just making a point, there's a load of games out there on websites like Abandonia and such, warm up a copy of Dune II, download The Ur-Quan Masters to play a port of Star Control 2, give Transport Tycoon a spin, play Master of Orion and have a blast with it, all are great games which keep you peeled for weeks ;)

Edited by Elerium, 16 July 2007 - 11:32 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 Jetz

Jetz

Military expert, especially firearms

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Projects:Trying to pwn at playing CoHOF
  •  Nuke-tossing, Gut-busting Old Skooler

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

Best game ever = Pong, the ancestor of all games. You can't argue with that =p.
pwnt. opposing fronts installed.

#69 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

Yeah you can, as Pong was indeed not the ancestor of all video games. Not by at least a decade.

#70 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

My top 4 favourites are:
x Star Wars Battlefront II (PS2)
x Company of Heroes (PC)
x Thief Deadly Shadows (PC)
x Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (PC)

#71 Death_Pheonix

Death_Pheonix

title available

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Projects:former Remix 3 Alpha Tester
  •  [M]i[G]lEaDeR

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Halo
Posted Image

Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

This can actually be classed as an impossible question in alot of ways since there have been soo many great games across alot of different genre's.

But i think the best and most influential in my opinion would have to be:

- C&C (The entire series, even generals in some ways)
- Half-Life (1 and 2)
- Lucas Arts Adventure games such as Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Sam n' Max and Day of Tentacle brough ALOT to the Adventure Game genre
- GTA Series (need i say more)
Posted Image

#73 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

And with more pwn games coming out all the time...the question's answer will change.

Yes I can appreciate some degree of retro gaming, but I can't keep doing so all the time. Times move on, and with them so too do the games we play. And tbh you can't argue that they're all inferior to old ones.

#74 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

Oh i do agree with ya. That's why i tried to include titles that are (even now) continueing to add to the different genres rather then just releaseing the next game with the next number.

Its hard to think of games that really do add another dimention to the product, hence why i only said 4 that i could think of :good:
Posted Image

#75 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

That's why I think this topic should evolve to 'What are the 5 best games of each genre?'

We all seem to list a bunch of our favourites, so surely this would be better.

So, genres:
  • First-Person Shooter (including MMOG/Multiplayer)
  • Third-Person Shooter (inc. Side-scrollers)
  • Beat 'em up (inc. Side-scrollers)
  • Driving/Racing
  • Flight/Fighter (Sim or otherwise)
  • Action/Adventure
  • Role-Playing Game (inc. hack and slash/dungeon crawlers)
  • Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game
  • Real-Time Strategy
  • Turn-Based Strategy
  • God Game/Simulation
  • Puzzle/Point n' Click
  • Miscellaneous
Any more? :ninja: If anyone can think of a particularly large genre I have forgot then by all means add that too. Until then keep it as Misc :tongevil:

Mine:
FPS
- Quake 2 - For being one of the early deathmatch favourites. Sure there were a few before then, but...
- Unreal Tournament - For being the first to realise what the point of being an FPS is - multiplayer.
- F.E.A.R. - Fantastic game that actually makes good use of its gimmicks. And any game where you can do a flying scissor kick is good in my book. :battery:
- TimeSplitters 2 - Is there more fun you can have with a PS2 and a multitap?
- Deus Ex - Do I need to explain myself?

3PS
Haven't played enough of this genre.

Beat 'Em Up
Haven't played enough of this genre.

Driving/Racing
- Burnout 3 - For me, gaming is supposed to be fun. I couldn't give a fuck so much about its technical accomplishments, and originality is good, but there is only so much innovation to come in any existing genre. Burnout 3 isn't technically superior to any other racer, and aggression racing/crashing isn't *that* original. But Burnout 3 is stupidly good fun and it does everything well. Except the music, but EA Trax was never going to give you anything other than shit. This Fire by Franz Ferdinand's about yer best. :wacko:

- Gran Turismo - Despite what I said above about technical accomplishments and fun, I have to put this here for the respect I have for its technical accomplishments. Oh, and because I beat Jeremy Clarkson's time on Laguna Seca with the Honda NSX. :spam: Of the four, I prefer the first and the fourth. They aren't games I would play, but it is undeniably an impressive game.

- WipEout series - Such a shame about Fusion. Fast-paced, stupidly fun and hearing 2097's announcer call 'Contender Eliminated' was uber-satisfying. Especially if you did it to your best mate with mines. :p

- Rollcage/Rollcage Stage 2 - I really don't understand why people didn't like this game. I'd play them now if I still had the discs.

- GTA3 - I include this here since driving is, realistically speaking, 80% of what you do. And the reason I chose GTA3 over Vice City and San Andreas etc is because GTA3 included the top-down view when driving and, no arguments please, top-down is the absolute be-all and end-all of perfect camera angles for playing GTA. Plus, it was ridiculously fun and had a lot to do, if you could be bothered tearing yourself away from your five-star demolition derby pursuits. :p

Fighter/Flight
I've only played Ace Combat 4-6 and I like them. That's it. :p Not a big fan of flight sims.

Action/Adventure
Only memorable ones I've played are Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem: Time to Kill. Of which I like the latter better than the former because it was just more fun, even if it was a blatant spoof albeit with more explosions and guns and raa.

Role-Playing Game (inc. hack and slash/dungeon crawlers)
- FF7 - I am not even going to dignify you with a justification. If you know anything about me, you'll know that I think this is the best RPG of all time. Closely followed by FF6 and FF8. Followed more distantly by FF10 and even more distantly by FF9. Bottom of the FF barrel's gotta be 12.

- Oblivion - Well, this HAD to be here, didn't it? Stupidly big, immensely awesome and immersive to the point where I'm drowning on Cyrodiilic Brandy, and it's not just good for what it provides - it's good for what fans provide too! I'd mod it myself if I could make head or tail of scripting in any format. I may have to learn at some point.

- Morrowind - Don't abandon this just because it's been succeeded by something better.

- KOTOR1 - Not the second. The second one's a bit naff. KOTOR1 is amazing tho. Hopefully Team Gizka make a good job of it and KOTOR2 can join its brother.

- Shadow Hearts Series - Fucking awesome. Almost an FF-beater. It DOES beat it in some areas!

And an honourable mention for Aveyond - made on RPG Maker XP...it's just awesome.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game
Don't play them, don't like them.

Real-Time Strategy

- CnC - Well, I wouldn't be where I am today without it. RA2, Gens and CNC3 suck. Rest are good.

- DoW - 'nuff said. For the Emperor!

- Medieval 2: Total War - What a game. Just...wow.

- Emperor: Battle for Dune - Graphics are STILL better than Generals. So is the gameplay.

- Homeworld - I admit I suck at this game. But it's a fantastic game.

Turn-Based Strategy
The only ones I've played are the Civ games and Galactic Civilizations II (Civ meets Babylon 5, and GalCiv was the fruits of their union. Civ in space. It's a blatant winning formula. The economicro is better than Civ's too). Both rule.

God Game/Simulation
The Sims, SimCity, Dungeon Keeper 2, Constructor and Black and White are all I've played. I must confess to enjoying the Sims and SimCity, DK2 is class too, but I hate B&W, and Constructor redefines 'suckage'.

Puzzle/Point n' Click
The Longest Journey is one of the few games that warmed my heart so much that I almost shed a tear at the end. It's so immersive and moving... but I haven't played enough of the genre.

Miscellaneous

I'll leave this one blank for now.

Edited by Paradox, 02 August 2007 - 11:00 AM.

#76 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

where would San andreas and Mercinaries fall in to?

i dont agree with you saying E:BFD is better than Generals though Paradox. it is good, but i still think generals is better.

Mortal Kombat is also a good fighting game.

quake 3 arena was the first true FPS I played on PC, it got me into gaming.

i hate all driving games. they suck imo. so none there.

i regret to say i was a WoW player at one stage and once, it was quite fun and agreeable but the Burning crusade ruined it and made it even more repetative....i only ever enjoyed PVP that was it.

i played my share of them hospital/theme park world/Black and white. but i think that was about it.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#77 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:22 PM

where would San andreas and Mercinaries fall in to?

San Andreas would fit wherever I put GTA3. Mercs would be 3rd Person Shooters.

i dont agree with you saying E:BFD is better than Generals though Paradox. it is good, but i still think generals is better.

That is, of course, your prerogative. :cool: I personally think Generals is shit. :p

Mortal Kombat is also a good fighting game.

quake 3 arena was the first true FPS I played on PC, it got me into gaming.

i hate all driving games. they suck imo. so none there.

i regret to say i was a WoW player at one stage and once, it was quite fun and agreeable but the Burning crusade ruined it and made it even more repetative....i only ever enjoyed PVP that was it.

i played my share of them hospital/theme park world/Black and white. but i think that was about it.

By all means make your own lists. :spam:

Although godDAMN I forgot Theme Hospital...but that isn't enough games I think are good to be worth an entry on my lists! :grin:

#78 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

although GTA:SA and Vice city are better than GTA3, GTA3 defined the new genre of driving/action/adventre games. it gave a hole new light to playing the GTA series in 3rd person.

but if i remeber rightly, you could change the camera angle on GTA3 to 3rd person/1st person when driving and also the top down view.

i personally perfere the 3rd person when driving. although the top down is good.
Posted Image
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

#79 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

but if i remeber rightly, you could change the camera angle on GTA3 to 3rd person/1st person when driving and also the top down view.

That's exactly what I said. GTA:VC and SA lacked top-down...

#80 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

the top down view is the old school GTA view, like in GTA 1, 2 and 3 on the PS1. i remeber those days.......

i like the 3rd person view thought because it puts you where all the action is :), but with the top dwn you can see in front and behind you and drive acordingly, avoiding the police, and making sure you drive into pedestrians!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users