826 replies to this topic

#41 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

That's one half of the demand, now you have to state why Rohan should have mini-factions of itself. :p My opinion: it's fine as it is. The RA team are doing a perfect job in terms of balancing, creating, and staying as true to Tolkien's work as possible. They haven't let us down in any of the other factions, and they won't let us down with the Rohan faction either.

Edited by Olorin, 21 January 2007 - 10:48 AM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#42 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

I think it would be good if they don't have Elven allies, that really downplays on their being a faction of their own.

#43 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:52 AM

But the Elves did help them (at least in the movies), and Rohan will need a few Elite and Elite Archer units as well. Besides, who doesn't like seeing the Elves? :p

Edited by Olorin, 21 January 2007 - 10:52 AM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#44 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Couldn't they get some Cavalry archers from the Westfold or something like that, it makes no sense to have every area of combat covered for Rohan as they are meant to be a cavalry force. Thats why Cavalry archers rather then elves should be relied on, perhaps several units with different weapon configurations will fill the burning hole left by taking the elves out.

#45 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

They will have cavalry archers (that at least I know for certain). And Rohan will mantain the strongest cavalry arm for the Good Factions I think. But still, in the books AND the movies, it states that Rohan did have quite a significant amount of infantry. All those who rode fought on foot as well, you know. Take the infantry at Helm's Deep: most of the remainder of it rode out with Theoden.
Posted Image

#46 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

Yeah thats exactly what I mean, they don't need elves, as their archers are quite reasonable and they can always sally forth and flatten enemy archers if push comes to shove in a siege.

#47 Ecthelion

Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

Considering the West Mark is elite infantry, the East Mark could be where elite cavalry are trained, as it does mention the east mark having heavy cavalry. As for heroes, elfhelm was marshall of the east mark. Rohan's main faction having the "standard" versions of the units.
Eastmark:

Elfhelm
Heavy Rohirrim
Heavy Rohirrim Archer

#48 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Heavy Rohirrim could be similar to Royal Guards except possibly having less armour?

#49 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

Sorry you guys, but these Rohan mini-factions have already been thought out and discussed. I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen. Confirmed units means confirmed units

Edited by Alsch, 21 January 2007 - 04:22 PM.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#50 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

Will the Gondor Spearmen be cheaper then Swordsmen?

#51 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

They will probably be relatively the same, as they fill different roles. However, spearmen may be a wee bit more expensive, as they are a little more specialized.

Edited by Alsch, 21 January 2007 - 06:14 PM.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#52 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

Spearsmen were the primary component of Gondor's army in the film, so there may be factors in place to make them a little more common in the player's army.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#53 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:08 PM

If you'll turn to the chapter Cirion and Eorl, Part II Ride of Eorl, in the Unfinished Tales book, you will see a wonderful little reason why Lothlorien could be considered a minifaction to Rohan.

For when at last the host drew near to Dol Guldur, Eorl turned away westward for fear of the dark shadow and cloud that flowed out from it, and then rode on within sight of Anduin. Many of the riders turned their eyes thither, half in fear and half in hope to glimpse from afar the shimmer of the Dwimordene, the perilous land that in legends of their people was said to shine like gold in the springtime. But now it seemed shrouded in a gleaming mist; and to their dismay the mist passed over the river and flowed over the land before them.
. . .
As they drew nearer they saw that the white mist was driving back the glooms of Dol Guldur, and soon they passed into it . . . but under its canopy all things were lit with a clear and shadowless light, while to left and right they were guarded as it were by white walls of secrecy.
'The Lady of the Golden Wood is on our side, it seems,' said Borondir.

Yes, this does happen around 500 years before the War of the Ring, but as you all know, that's a rather short time in the life of an Elf. I doubt Galadriel would have forgotten that she gave aid to who would soon become the Men of Rohan.

Furthermore, Lothlorien is basically Rohan's main defense against a large attack out of Dol Guldur, Moria, or Gundabad. Yes, Lothlorien could be avoided for a time by these armies, but as Sauron seemed to know (with his use of Dol Guldur to hold the Elves of Lorien at bay) avoiding Lothlorien would only lead to them coming at your rear. Add this to the well-accepted story idea of the Galadhrim coming to Helm's Deep in the films, and you have grounds for a much more interesting minifaction for Rohan than just another Rohirric province.

And by the way, the Rohan faction itself is both the lands around Edoras as well as the Eastfold. So if you want to take units away from the faction itself and create a minifaction that is in no way unique (honestly, slightly more heavy cavalry when the Rohan faction already has both light, heavy, and archer cavalry, is not going to make me excited to choose the "Eastfold minifaction") then you can learn to mod and play at it yourself.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

Thank you. I knew someone would be able to explain it better than me.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#55 Bard

Bard

Wordsmith, Penman and Scribbler

• Project Team
  • 264 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  Rhovanion Alliance Writer

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

I guess it's a 'no' then. :blink:

elfhelm was marshall of the east mark

And no, the charge of Marshal of the East Mark was given to Eomer at the War of the Ring, Elfhelm was the Marshal of the Muster of Edoras (under King Theoden, First Marshal), and was effectively Fourth Marshal.
Posted Image

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

#56 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

It was not until Eomer was made King of Rohan that Elfhelm was made Marshal of the East-mark.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

Now what I want to know about the revised isengard faction is what exactly are Uruk engineers because I find that a little vague on detail, what I mean is that what do they do even their name is self explanetary. My theory is that they repair damaged seige weapons.

what do you think
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#58 Canterbury

Canterbury

Master-at-Arms

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

My ideal rohan fraction
Edoras: Theoden, Eowyn, Gamling, Hama, Royal Guards, Peasents- promoted to Milita, Yeoman-promoted to Bowmen
-A building called horse quarters or something where u send Royal Guards and Milita into it, and they come out as horsemen.

Westmark:Erkenbrand, Theodred, Grimbold, Pikemen & Light Cavary to defend dike and fords.

Eastern Rohan: Eomer, Elfhelm, Riders of Rohan, Rohirrim Archers

Fangorn: Only there for the siege.
Posted Image

#59 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

Well buddy, I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#60 cahik_

cahik_

Sage engine ruler

• Project Team
  • 1,896 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member and Crazy animator

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

My ideal rohan fraction
Edoras: Theoden, Eowyn, Gamling, Hama, Royal Guards, Peasents- promoted to Milita, Yeoman-promoted to Bowmen
-A building called horse quarters or something where u send Royal Guards and Milita into it, and they come out as horsemen.

Westmark:Erkenbrand, Theodred, Grimbold, Pikemen & Light Cavary to defend dike and fords.

Eastern Rohan: Eomer, Elfhelm, Riders of Rohan, Rohirrim Archers

Fangorn: Only there for the siege.

this ideal rohan faction lack diversity. edoras here have only early game units peasent and yoman and on late game unit royal guard. playing with just that would be really boring and it would be very hard to balance cause you dont have mid game units here.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users