Photo

Dol Guldor faction

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Guest_CNCM_Blitz_*_*

Guest_Guest_CNCM_Blitz_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:12 AM

I think your right. Animated objects are to far-fetched for LOTR. I like the the Vampire idea though. Its unused, and that is important to me. And I am making an effort to put some chick units into the game. For instance, I am adding Idrial from T3A game, and making an order of mages to be led by her. (Maidens of Galadriel) They will be in my Lorien team. Also, the basic elven worker units will be females, since the men will be fighting.

I am using the Olog-hai as mentioned before and spiders, but this is getting to be a long list of units. I will pick out what i want to use and get back to you on that.

#22 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Cool, I haven't really seen a good representation of Idrial in an RTS yet (besides EA's thrice-cursed bow version (how do you screw over your own character????).
About the mages...try not to make them be too powerful, Ie having multiple army-crushing spells. I'd suggest them having, like, three powers, and having either one being offensive, and the other two defensive (healing, leadership) or the other way around - two offensive, one defensive.
If I think of any more 'decent' units, I'll post them here and you can take what you want :rolleyes:
Cheers,
-mike

#23 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

Captain of the Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Projects:Forgetting RA2 and learning BfME
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

Hmm, leadership can be offensive and defensive depending on how you make it. Remember mages are not heroes and can be purchased in large amounts or at least several if I make a command point limit. If you have a dozen mages out on the field with compound leadership effects then things could be ridiculously easy to win. They wont have leadership. They will be able to heal with a smal heal radius with a click and target formula. They will have only one attack move which I think will be a spell move although i am at loss as to what it will be like. Mages will have other fun spells that can help your troops like maybe laying a small patch of elven wood, or dispelling enemy bonuses including leadership and Glorius charges temporarily. Keep the input coming, but lets not go to far away from the main topic.

#24 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

That's pretty much what I would do - have them be more defence-based. Maybe for the offensive spell, "Loudwater Fury"? You've mentioned Idrial, so I assume that you've played (through?) The Third Age.
Anyway, back on the Dol Guldor topic..
I kind of picture Dol Guldor being the "heart of sorcery" in Middle-earth. Not like with ghosts and walking skeletons and such, but more like the centre of dark "magic". Ie surviving Werewolves and Vampires (a la the Van Helsing film).
I actually just had a power idea for them..maybe a power that adds a permenant Fog of War to an area, about the size of Elven Wood. Of course, it would only be nonvisible to enemy units, but your own and your allies could see through it normally. It'd be great for ambushing units and setting up defenses.
If you don't have any ideas for heroes, maybe a Chief for either the Werewolves or Vampires (or one for each)?
That is, of course, assuming you're including them :scars: Otherwise, ignore that, lol.
Cheers,
-mike

#25 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

Aye. That is what I am aiming for in this faction. Sorcery and dark magicishness. The wolves will have a chieftain and so will the vampire chicks. She will need a name. I got it! Buffy! Hurray!

I will consider the elven wood ideas.

#26 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

Cool. I just had two more ideas for the faction:
-Bats. They could be either trainable from a building, or a summon. I'd say either make them in a swarm large enough to where arrows could significantly damage them (balance), or have them unattackable. As for their powers, they could possibly be an anti-leadership unit, or something a bit more unique - maybe have them it so that they gradually take health away from units underneath them.
-Awaken Huorns. Now this sounds cool, lol. You know the power 'Devestation'? Well, this would basically do the opposite to that. You could use the power on trees, and those trees would turn into Huorns - "black hearted trees." They wouldn't have as much health as Ents (odd, the song "Treebeard" just came on my iTunes :dry:), but a higher attack and movement speed. For balance, they could be very vulnerable to fire, or even be neutral to all parties - for setting up an ambush.
Cheers,
-mike

#27 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Nay, Huorns are not made from trees. They are ents gone bad. And its not worth awakening them outside of Fangorn since they do not live outside of fangorn. If anything it would be a power for Treebeard only if I consider it.

The Bat would be a good idea for Buffy the "Vampire Slayer". (she is a slaying vampire)

#28 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Eh? Huorns aren't Ents gone bad... Ents don't go bad... they just become more treeish. Huorns are trees with dark hearts that are becoming lively (or somthing along those lines)

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#29 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

Pippin thought they were ents gone bad, but yanno, they could be either way. Will have to look it up.

Ok done. They CAN be either way, but from what the characters say, it is more likely they are ents gone treeish.

#30 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

nope, I'm pretty sure Dain is correct :wink_new:
"Too few left of us now" Treebeard says to the hobbits, and he means ents... and there weren't a huge amount of ents in the first place, but huorns are trees gone live...

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#31 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

No! Look it up! I tried wikipedia.org, which isnt as unreliable as some people say it is. It say it is more likely that they are bad ents. But I personally think it would be way cooler if they were trees, and seeing as how the trees could move in the movie like when merry and pippin were caught in that one tree in Fangorn Forest it might be the better way to go.

Well I am worried about one thing. How am I gonna get the time to actually put this together? You see I go to a prep school with very high standards and a hard curriculum. And I do track. Going to be running distance. I am not totally up to speed on all the details of modding. So dont expect anything to happen for a while.

Now there is still more to plan. I would like to tweak the other factions a bit. Fix certain things that I dislike and add some extras to make it fresh and add some spice to the old factions. I have a huge list of ideas which I have in writing but wont put them on here for now. Lets have some different peoples ideas for freshening up the original factions.

#32 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

They're trees. Seriously... read the book. Ents don't "go bad". Treebeard says.. they just become slower and more treeish.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#33 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

I was at that chapter last weekend... and it's true...

Also... just 'cause I have good time.... hehe... quoting Wikipedia.org

It is not clear if Huorns are Ents that have become treeish, or trees that have become Entish. It is implied that both varieties exist, though the theory espoused by the characters is that Huorns are Ents who have become more treeish and wild.

Also it said that they are more dangerous than ents and can't talk to other than ents... Slower and more treeish doesn't sound like their getting more dangerous :p

So, settle with us saying that they AREN'T bad ents... but rather trees turning entish..

edit: anyways, I haven't followed your mod much, but.... I do hope your not planning on having Huorns figthing for Dol Guldor, right?

Edited by Lauri, 26 January 2008 - 11:53 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#34 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:57 AM

Of course I won't give them to Dol Guldor! That would be retarded.(if your offended by this politically incorrect term, then let me just say, in humble apology, that I dont care.

Ok, I am rather of a changed opinion of huorns. The ent only get sleepy and treeish, but huorns are trees becoming more awake and "entish".

#35 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:20 AM

Please pardon me for even suggesting that :p

#36 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:06 AM

You're pardoned. I was just thinking, what if Dol Guldor could resurrect units other than heroes at a price that varies depending on what upgrades your unit has and its level and whatever it "scavenged". Pretty cool idea dont you think?

#37 Guess Who

Guess Who

title available

• Project Team
  • 969 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The East, Project Siege
  •  2d Artist, Modeller, Skinner, Binder, Basic Coder, Learning Animating, mapping, fx coding.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

Would not be balanced.
Posted Image Posted Image
My current projects: Wars of The East, Project Siege
--------------------------------------
99% Fat Free.

#38 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

why wouldn't it be?

If you have a level 2 horde with forged blades...
200 for the horde, 300 for the banner, 300 for the blades...
800 to ressurect the unit, eh?

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#39 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

Also there will be some things added to the other factions to even the odds, because no matter what the price is, your opponent (Dol Guldor) can get money in more creative ways than other factions, so there will have to be exras. I say Rohan gets an economy upgrade to counter the other better economies, and Gondor gets some tweaks to help make it run better. Evil teams I havent thought about yet. Perhaps Mordor can hunt wild animals like Lorien does(oops let one slip there!) because Mordor is the kind of army that would need to do that more than others. They have more creatures to feed. Isengard might need some sort of market place. Not sure how to balance this with Gondor but we'll see.

#40 Saix

Saix
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  •  Coder In Training, Idea thinker...

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:06 AM

How about a "dark mine" (marketplace) in which you can research new ores for the furnaces because in the first movie (possibly second) they do a shot of Saruman in a mine with the bird thingies flying down around him
Posted Image
Posted Image
90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this into your signature.

"Give them nothing! But take from them...everything!"
"Spartans!...prepare to stomp the yard"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users