Photo

The follies of C&C3 XML AI coding - anal retentive!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

C&C3 load times? Perhaps.. C&C3 does run faster on its startup and definitely on its menu-to-game session although C&C3 is completely a simplified experience vs Dawn of War and what is involved there but I do like C&C3 for what it is. I'll give you speed of loading in C&C3 -- very fast.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#22 Sedistix

Sedistix
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

Load time? Using modifications in every game I have I’ve seen none, outside of graphical enhancements, that increase the games load time. Including cnc3.

In fact the process behind constructing and compiling cnc3 mods increases the time to both implement and test mods, when compared to previous games in the series and many other games.

If the games load time is the key, yeah it's well done. Yet I doubt that's all due to XML alone.

Edited by Sedistix, 13 April 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#23 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

Load time? Using modifications in every game I have I’ve seen none, outside of graphical enhancements, that increase the games load time. Including cnc3.

In fact the process behind constructing and compiling cnc3 mods increases the time to both implement and test mods, when compared to previous games in the series and many other games.

If the games load time is the key, yeah it's well done. Yet I doubt that's all due to XML alone.

Actually it more or less is. It saves the time usually spent parsing the files, and allows them to be just be bulk loaded from the disk. It's not something designed particularly for mods, it's the way the engine works. The devs go through the same thing, they have to compile everything to test as well.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#24 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

The devs go through the same thing, they have to compile everything to test as well.

In Dawn of War we used to have to deal with compiled binaries but we have all these reverse engineered tools so I can take a mod and alter it so I can fix it for teams without the need to get the uncompiled originals. So much easier and fast.. hate compiled crap when it cannot be read and re-written without having to go back to the original. Slows everything down.

#25 Sedistix

Sedistix
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

I’m resuming my attempts at adding a new AI set, preferably a cloned “Turtle”, as I’ve already done most of the work thus far with it. I’m curious though, has anyone else had any luck with the cloning of existing AI’s using modified parameters. I get so far into a game using mine and it crashes about midgame. My best guess is that I need to clone everything from the AI section, including all personalities, openingmoves, heuristics, ect.

Edited by Sedistix, 09 July 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#26 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Please keep us informed, Sed.. we'd all be VERY interested in your research especially now that v1.01 of Kane's Wrath is out (but still no update XML set or modding tools).

#27 Guest_phis_*

Guest_phis_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

will ra3 use xml too?

#28 stewox

stewox
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

RA3 is not made by the same dev team that made C&C3 , so there is still hope.

Thudo , you said C&C Generals Zero Hour never had such things , a major difference yes , because is was NOT made by the same guys , but westwood guys if im more specific.

Dustin Bowder as the (master) Lead Designer , .. also in RA2 YR , he went to blizzard and now he is lead designer for Starcraft 2

Mark Skaggs as executive producer , ... also RA2 YR , BFME (made by EA guys)

all other westwood guys

in the time of GEN it was EApacific , in ZH it was EALA , but the bosses were still westwood guys , soon after ZH shipped new employees taken over in 2004 ,they did not change the name

Westwood almost all left after RA3 EA (stupid) cancel in 2004.

it may be the case that BFME team taken over C&C but im not sure ,

BFME was done in the same EALA studio as GenZH and developed on GenZH SAGE engine.

But imo it was a major conflict , i think they were 'fighting' , so everyone left and new EALA then posted about key guys that they have went on "holidays".

anyways some people like Louise Castle stayed at EALA (music) , thankfully there are still some who make small things so C&C goes to at least in good way , imagine totally non westwood C&C... >8(

I think ZH was and is , the best C&C/RTS game to mod , imo

Edited by stewox, 16 July 2008 - 04:19 PM.

#29 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

I think ZH was and is , the best C&C/RTS game to mod , imo

Actually Dawn of War is IMO too. :xcahik_: Almost 4 years as the Advanced Skirmish AI team lead and 20+ revisions of the AI with global reach and incredible reviews later + integrated into 35+ mods and 7+ major balance mods. Its precisely the reason I left C&C: Generals/ZH is because the AI system was so incredibly borked since it used that massively-ghey WorldBuilder. Gawd that was horrid x 10,050! Now with C&C3 using XML you'd have thought they'd have learned NOT to be so inflexible -- yeaahh fat chances. Totally locked down and rigid BS scripting system as per usual. <sigh>

Oh well.. onto C&C: RedAlert3 to see if its any better (yeah right!).

#30 stewox

stewox
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

Yes just the INI modding was very fun , while i many times tried to mod the skirmish AI but without success as i did not find (almost)anything in INIs , scripts but why scripts

there should be made a system in RA3 that will allow you the basic modifications or some customizations , for example making a new AI personality or include a tactic , this shouldn't be hardcoded , well just adding a tactic , (do that, build this more/less, ... ...) ( like TS and RA2YR map generator ,)

And i was right about to mod TW AI but i found this thread lol , and great forum btw , if you tell me where to start modding the AI , some tips , or is it that bad that i just need to dump this idea?

The whole point of hardcoded is , imo , that more the game is simple to mod , more is hard for programmers to make that , making a system something like i said , also need more time , and you know EAs deadlines , i hope this guys will actually care about the franchise or the fans ...

While EA always say that "by which this programming works it is not possible to ...." but the fans manage to repair all and make it work a lot better , TW mod SDK is the example.

Edited by stewox, 16 July 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#31 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

Yea I find it ironic how the C&C3 devs mentioned how modular the AI would be to use with those XMLs and yet how tragic the lie was. The XMLs look soooo easy to work with hence the incredible frustration has been. Meh.. On to RA3 then? :(

#32 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

I doubt RA3 is any salvation as what my studies indicate from beta...it still uses exact same style compiled files so yes XML it is :p
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#33 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

Well THIS pretty much sums up my feelings about what has happened to the entire franchise. :( Also look at the other C&C work this artist has done as its utterly hilarious and all based on the '95 classic, C&C: Tiberium Dawn.

RA3 does look good actually except for the Empire of the Rising Sun (Japan) faction.. Gawd! Can it be any "ghey-er" with stuff like That? - I almost spilled my cup of saki. RA3 also has waayyy too much s*x in it now - a nerdy alpha male's ultimate fantasy. Now every faction has at least one "hot s*x" candidate but ally's have 2!! o_O Dunno if I can take the game seriously at present although graphically it looks good and sports some interesting gameplay dynamics. I still do totally prefer C&C3's storyline and technology - much MUCH cooler stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users