Rebel/New Republic Planetary Units

124 replies to this topic

#41 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

Native units is a very good idea. I hope we see it in the mod. I'm pretty sure we can't do much about corruption, though. If we were making our own game, it would be great, but we aren't.

#42 skie9173

skie9173

Rebel (not so) High Command

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:16 AM

but would it be possible to make native units buildable just by owning a planet? much like the empire training noghri assassins? it seems like it would be pretty easy but i've never messed with coding so i can't be sure
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.

#43 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I don't know how. I'm not an XML expert.

#44 skie9173

skie9173

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

this is an idea in response to the suggestion for elite stormy type units (501st) that would be creatable by Vader or Royal Guards buildable with the Emperor. how about similar commando type units creatable from certain rebel heroes, such as needing Kyle Katarn to train a few groups of Katarn Commandos. when i was looking around for ideas for a counter or balance unit i couldn't really find many details on elite rebel/new republic forces. Another idea i though of follows the idea a presented about having to choose to upgrade heroes for either space or land battle. For the rebels an example could be wedge, say we have the option of upgrading him either with rogue squadron for space or the wraiths for a ground commando team. Perhaps not a great example but i can think of several more if anyone is interested

#45 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

I was about to suggest the Katarn Commandoes myself. Still, we could make elite rebel specforce troopers, and have Crix Madine needed to build them. A prime example is the Endor team.

#46 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:20 AM

Lets try to avoid ANYTHING that was made just for Galactic Battlegrounds...that game was horrible...

I like that mobile anti-infantry battery though...

no it's wasn't horrible; It was THE WORST GAME EVER MADE EVER FOR ANY SYSTEM EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE, except for Quagnot 7's "€*5€$$€ 2, the collage years" that game sucked jagons.

#47 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:20 PM

I'm not sure it was that bad, but it wasn't star wars. It was age of empires with a star wars skin. Still, the rebels really should have both a fast land and an air transport, to allow them to conduct quick-strike tactics with infantry.

#48 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

I'm not sure it was that bad, but it wasn't star wars. It was age of empires with a star wars skin. Still, the rebels really should have both a fast land and an air transport, to allow them to conduct quick-strike tactics with infantry.

yea. no it sucked., but getting off point. yea i agree, but the Imps need a golan mobile combat platform (or what ever it was, it was in the X-wing book where they went to corouanscant

#49 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

[ yea i agree, but the Imps need a golan mobile combat platform (or what ever it was, it was in the X-wing book where they went to corouanscant

You mean a floating fortress. It was already posted in the imp version of this thread. I would say the Rebels should have a flying transport, an armored land transport (Freerunner APC), a large repulsor land transport (AA-5 Speeder truck), and some fast repulsor transports (landspeeders).

#50 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:07 AM

[ yea i agree, but the Imps need a golan mobile combat platform (or what ever it was, it was in the X-wing book where they went to corouanscant

You mean a floating fortress. It was already posted in the imp version of this thread. I would say the Rebels should have a flying transport, an armored land transport (Freerunner APC), a large repulsor land transport (AA-5 Speeder truck), and some fast repulsor transports (landspeeders).

yeah that's what I meant. that would definately make some interesting gameplay.

#51 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

It was really just the urban version of the AT-AT. Still, you're off topic. This really does need to go in the imp units thread.

#52 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:12 AM

It was really just the urban version of the AT-AT. Still, you're off topic. This really does need to go in the imp units thread.

gotcha.

#53 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

MAS 2xB
http://starwars.wiki...lled_turbolaser
This would be a very late in the tech tree unit, probably for counter-turbolaser use.

#54 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

I think the rebellion needs some true stealth units to give them a more covert feel. The Rebel SpecForce troops could fill this role

http://starwars.wiki...i/Rebel_soldier

You could use C-3PO and R2-D2's steal tech ability to recruit them by tweaking it to liberate soldiers from the Imperial ranks and make the new troops spawn on your starting planet. This would give the rebellion a more authentic feel since the rebels did have several very capable soldiers and leaders who defected from the empire, such as Crix Madine.

#55 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

I think the rebellion needs some true stealth units to give them a more covert feel. The Rebel SpecForce troops could fill this role

http://starwars.wiki...i/Rebel_soldier

You could use C-3PO and R2-D2's steal tech ability to recruit them by tweaking it to liberate soldiers from the Imperial ranks and make the new troops spawn on your starting planet. This would give the rebellion a more authentic feel since the rebels did have several very capable soldiers and leaders who defected from the empire, such as Crix Madine.

I kind of already suggested that (see my long post a couple of pages back on SpecForce). I would like to add Bothan Spies (the equivilant of the probe droid).

#56 Guest_guest-betaplayer_*

Guest_guest-betaplayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

Bothan Spies are a good idea :)

#57 skie9173

skie9173

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

All right I’ve been thinking about native units some. It’s possible to make them units that can only be build on specific planets, right? Like Mon cal troops from Mon cal or other Mon cal colonies. But how about making the troops that we build more then just the basic troops that you get free on the planet? I mean you would be training them for use in you armies and really now the applicable races were keystone races of the rebellion (mon cal, bothan, Sullustans) also there were some races in the game that may not have been truly key in the alliance but that may have been in alternate scenarios (like PR gives us the chance to make) namely wookies, Twi’lek and maybe even gungans.

Now I have some ideas as to how some of these races could become helpful and more advance units in the alliance ground forces... not sure if some of them could be edited in or not but I’ll present them here and now.

First Mon cal troops: Kaleb's suggestion for seatroopers in the imp section gave me an idea here. Mon cal are an aquatic species, as such they should be able to travel through water like repulsorcraft. Additionally this would give the rebels some form of similar/counter to seatroopers. They would probably have lower attack power but relatively decent defenses (that is a mon cal style really) and they probably wouldn't be able to defeat seatroopers in 1on1 combat.

Bothans: again I’m going to point to Kaleb for some inspiration here. I agree with his idea about bothan spies that function like probe droids, and I think that they should be a key aspect of alliance intelligence and thus don’t require a specific planet to build. However maybe there could be bothan units that come specifically from Bothawui. They could have some form of cloak (I believe zann heroes had something that would work. just use shorter duration/longer cool down if possible) also they would have a very long line of sight, making them good spotters/scouts. The trade off is that they would be very weak both defensively and offensively. If possible to create they could have a weapon that has more of a stun function then true attack, like the lancet prepatch minus the big damage. This would show their more covert then offensive behavior.

Alright this is a long post, so I’ll hold off on my other ideas until I see the response to these two. I do have ideas for wookies, sullustans and yes even gungans…and a few other races maybe

#58 sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

so one COULD make an army of gungans for canon fodder?

Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.

Posted Image

#59 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:04 AM

Good ideas. Depends mostly on PR's take, really.

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#60 Badwolfwho

Badwolfwho
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

so one COULD make an army of gungans for canon fodder?

Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.Do it.

I agree
It would be better with an army of Selkath though

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users