#61 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

It's a very brief overview of critical points in an otherwise open world environment. A full script will make more sense, but I want to get design documentation and critical programming out of the way before worrying about parts of the design that are not critical to the prologue / MSUC demo.

#62 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

ok ^^)>
JP - Darknet

#63 zenarion

zenarion
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:05 AM

Hi!
My name is Aleks Molcanov, and I am tasked with creating a storyboard for this project.
I have some free time on my hands, and will start drawing.
I do have some questions:
Is there a style guide, beyond the concept/mesh of the player character?
If not, should i create the concepts for the environments, the Many, the Lost, and anything else?
Or should i just use placeholder character concepts for the storyboard?
Add me on msn, or send an email if you want to discuss further.
Thanks in advance.

#64 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

Storyboards are just quick sketches. All of the characters have the same appearance. If you want to be picky; the player and the One are differentiated by glowing yellow, the Many by glowing blue, and the Lost by glowing red. There's no style guide, so you're free to do as you please; the aim is to give an impression of what's going on rather than doing any really fine concept art.

#65 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

^^)> story board ^^)>
JP - Darknet

#66 zenarion

zenarion
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

How's this for the style?
http://img.photobuck...narion/0001.jpg

#67 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

It seem to be a good style.
JP - Darknet

#68 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

Absolutely fantastic - surplus to requirements. Carry on like that, and I'll be very pleased :lol:

#69 rdmlegend

rdmlegend
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

Just thought I'd introduce myself My names James and i'll be helping out with environmental pieces. If anyone has any questions at all please feel free to contact me at Jamesgannon@msn.com just throw the subject name as something pertaining to the mod and it wont be marked as spam.

Thanks,

James Gannon

#70 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:04 AM

whayt kind of environmental pieces?
JP - Darknet

#71 rdmlegend

rdmlegend
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:59 AM

How's this for the style?
http://img.photobuck...narion/0001.jpg

I'm kinda anxious so i threw this together really quick

Posted Image

http://i10.photobuck...ayingaround.jpg

#72 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:33 AM

oh that look nice. with a good layout.
JP - Darknet

#73 rdmlegend

rdmlegend
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

any assets you guys have concept work for? I'm really bored here I wanna make something for you guys. :)

#74 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

There is a story broad but there is no image yet. It in this topic.
JP - Darknet

#75 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

Amusingly, the scene you just modelled was intended for our Live-Action filmed sequences :)

To continue from where I left off in the e-mail.

The only solid level design we need is the challenge level - DATA-Structure. The rough concept is to have the player begin in the outskirts of a fairly futuristic city, move in closer and ascend as he progresses through; potentially climbing through industrial sectors, before reaching a large structure, wherein the player would ascend in it's interior, before reaching a peak and finishing the level by means of hopping from roof-to-roof.

Of course, how this is all determined, is all up to you, as you're getting quite free reign. We should be aiming for a fairly large level, with a full run-through time of around four to five minutes (assuming the player knows where they are going and what they need to do). This will probably require reasonable asset instancing, and perhaps four or so open areas, split with three single route speed running sections to break them up.

I'd recommend knocking up a quick prototype with brushes in UnrealEd, before creating collections of suitable assets. I should have you full access and instructions to read and write to the SVN by the end of tonight in your e-mail inbox - from there you'll be able to test the player movement metrics.

I would also recommend thinking through potential ways to force the player to interact with the environment rather than just moving through it. We should have a reasonable system for setting fire and burning objects, and the player also has the ability to pick up and move objects (a single object at a time using his powers).

Rummaging through your existing assets for potential clean-up and inclusion in the design could be a good idea; it'll save a lot of time that can be spent elsewhere.

#76 rdmlegend

rdmlegend
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

cool, I'll start doing some searches and looking for industrial buildings and i'll get started. Pick a movie for what style of furturistic you'd like to see please to give me a better idea of what we're going for. IE IRobot, 5th Element, etc, etc :thumbsupsmiley:

#77 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

The world we're creating is a digital representation of a complex software system, as viewed in a mental projection; so it doesn't necessarily have to make an enormous amount of sense, so we can take some creative liberties.

A good example of visual style could be placed in Mirror's Edge - but there is a very limited amount of footage available yet; this was the original intended visual style, to be clear cut and very simple, with a lot of flatter colour and detail - although this was before we saw Mirror's Edge.

As for the style of architecture, you can probably gleam a lot from modern architecture, rather than looking at anything too hyper-realistic. Given a clean-material makeover, modern architecture can probably look pretty futuristic.

#78 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

Learnt some new tricks whilst trying to do convincing water for the fire system. We can now do some pretty hefty physics if we want to, including things like swinging pendulums, destructable objects, even dent or bend objects, or use cloths.

#79 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:14 AM

Well we need a path and stating point. Need some images and map flow.
JP - Darknet

#80 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

I have an idea we should make the building floating and half missing some part that the data is corrupted that is being infected. It partly imagery of the data is corrupted and floating around.
JP - Darknet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users