Photo

Inn factions

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: Errata

Which faction's heroes should I conceptualize next?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

But it would require you to get the Inn. Plus it would seem outragous that Theoden only fights for his nation's allies. That just seems silly.

#42 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

Do you mean Theodred? ;)

I added more hero powers for the Southern Fiefdoms. Poor Dervorin... nobody likes him. :lol:
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#43 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

But it would require you to get the Inn. Plus it would seem outragous that Theoden only fights for his nation's allies. That just seems silly.

Well I guess you have a point. What people use the Inns is for their own personal reasons I guess :lol: .

Edited by Scryer, 26 January 2009 - 01:09 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 Berethin

Berethin
  • Members
  • 71 posts
  •  Amateur Writer, Veteran Gamer

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

Well, I like the new powers, Ithilien. Good thinking!

Yes, the factions should be able to access their own heroes. Maybe right from the start, like the hobbits you can recruit. I've mentioned this idea a few times, after all. :good:

#45 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

I think you should only get your inn heroes if you have an inn.

#46 Berethin

Berethin
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

Oops! I should clarify my statement above: I think you should have your inn heroes available as soon as you get an inn, like the hobbit battalions that you can always recruit, whether you have an alliance yet or not.

Sorry, I was a little unclear on that! :D

#47 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

That might make the Inn a little to powerful.

#48 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

I think that in order to buy your own inn heroes, you should have to buy a 2500-resource upgrade to the inn, which allows you to recruit units/heroes from your own faction there. It would be an additional button in the command set of the alliance you already have. What do you think?

#49 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

i dont really see how adding that would benefit the inn. if anything, it would probably op it like AA said. well, either that or it would simply discourage people from purchasing the heros from the alliance they did purchase.
imo, just purchase that faction if you really want its heros.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 Berethin

Berethin
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:44 AM

I think Ithilien's idea of an upgrade would be the best solution to the problem, though maybe make it something more like 1000 to 1500 resources. The factions certainly have the right to access their own heroes! :p

#51 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

We are talking about your own factions heroes. If you are Gondor you can't ally with Gondor so all the Gondor Inn heroes are immpossible for you to access. It is just silly to think that those heroes wouldn't fight for their own side. When I referring to it being too powerful I was referring to them being available right from the start. You should have to level up the Inn to get the better heroes, just like the other things. You definately need access your own factions Inn heroes. There is no reason to have access to the units because you all ready can get those but to have Theodred only accessible by Gondor, the Dwarves, or the Elves and NOT Rohan seems absurd.

#52 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

You definately need access your own factions Inn heroes. There is no reason to have access to the units because you all ready can get those but to have Theodred only accessible by Gondor, the Dwarves, or the Elves and NOT Rohan seems absurd.

The only reason against this is gameplay. I'm only going to speak for Rohan here...

In Rohan, you have Theodred. He acts exactly like Theoden with some stats mixed around and a skin change. There is no gameplay need to have him in Rohan as a core-faction hero. Besides he bit the dust pretty early on in the War of the Ring anyways, so I would rather have Rohan keep heroes that atleast lasted until Pelennor Fields over Theodred. Adding him is just going to take away from Theoden and add a cookie-cut effect to the faction's hero set up.

Grimbold and Elfhelm: As much as I'd like to see these 3 heroes (including Theodred) as inn-only heroes (or maybe as campaign-only heroes) they also add a cookie-cutting effect. How? Well Grimbold and Elfhelm are a strange combination of Eomer and Erkenbrand. One of them provides a leadership (kind of like Eomer's, Erkenbrand's leaderships) and the other only has a crippling strike (which should be a power consideration for Eowyn) and they just summon units inbetween. Which is kind of like cookie-cutting for this situation. Rohan as a faction doesn't need that at the moment.

My solution to this problem is simple: Change the name "Purchase Rohan Alliance" to "Purchase Rohan Reinforcements" for a Rohan player. No change to anything but the title of what you're purchasing. Because AA I'Per, you are right about it not making sense for Rohan to purchase its own alliance. But by purchasing reinforcements it does make more sense if you are playing with that faction.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

Or, if you level the inn to, say, 5, you can purchase your own heroes. How does that sound?

#54 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

i retract my previous statement, i hadnt realized that you couldnt purchase your own faction from the inn (i almost always get sf anyways :p)
in that case, i would unlock your own factions heros at the same time as they would normally; when the inn levels up.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

My solution to this problem is simple: Change the name "Purchase Rohan Alliance" to "Purchase Rohan Reinforcements" for a Rohan player. No change to anything but the title of what you're purchasing. Because AA I'Per, you are right about it not making sense for Rohan to purchase its own alliance. But by purchasing reinforcements it does make more sense if you are playing with that faction.

I seem to be miss understood again. You cannot gain access to your own factions units, upgrades, or heroes. This is because you can not purchase an alliance with yourself. That is how the game works now. I want to make that clear you cannot access any of your own factions inn units or heroes.

Now this means that Theoden, and others like him are only purchasable if you are playing as another faction. I want to make sure that is clear.

Now the reason that this doesn't make sense is that why would a hero fight for everyone but his own nation? This is absurd.

The only thing I want is the following: A faction should when it gains control of an inn they should along with the heroes of the faction that they ally with get the inn heroes that belong to their own faction. This means that you can only get these said heroes if you are playing on a map with an Inn.

What I am not advocating: 1. That you should be able to ally with yourself.
2. That you should be able to get the Inn heroes at your fort.
3. That you should gain access to your own units as well.

Why do I think you should be able to get your Inn heroes as I described above? Because it is unrealistic and silly that heroes of a nation or race would not fight for their own people. Now to address the issue of redundancy. This would only be possible on a map with an Inn. You would also have to upgrade the inn to get better heroes. Plus if you don't want to have Theodred, who is like a Theoden clone, then you don't have to buy him. It simply allows players more choice and depth. Plus it fits realism. It makes the game a little bit more believable and that is what makes Lord of the Rings so appealing.

#56 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

1. That you should be able to ally with yourself.
2. That you should be able to get the Inn heroes at your fort.
3. That you should gain access to your own units as well.

Definitely didn't get that from your posts.

Just double checking; What you're suggesting is that Rohan's Inn heroes, for example (as kindly suggested by Ithilien), won't be available to the player until the player purchases an Inn and levels it up with whatever alliance that they purchase? And when those heroes become available, you can purchase them from the Fortress?

My apologies for my bluntness.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

I was reffering other people seemingly mistaking what I was advocating.

Yes to that except you would only be able to build the heroes at the inn

#58 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

ThanksAA.... I'll take back what I said in my long post, then. Sorry I was wrong. It was good to clash opinions while it lasted :thumbsupsmiley: .

As far as it goes, I do agree with it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

Heroes only at the inn? Has my kind suggestion been taken then? :wink_new:

#60 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Well by us at least. The final say is Robs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users