• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Alright guys. I'm pretty sure that you're aware of what this mod will be about, and you probably have a slight grasp of the materials we're dealing with.

That in mind, what features, units, historical figures, and concepts would you like to see in the mod? While we've got a good design document in the works, this is your chance to brainstorm for ideas. There's plenty of room to expand and fill in this mod, and personally, I'd love to see what the community is thinking.

So feel free to bounce ideas off of one another, I'll be happy to chronicle your progress :p

#2 TheFellowship

TheFellowship
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

Alright guys. I'm pretty sure that you're aware of what this mod will be about, and you probably have a slight grasp of the materials we're dealing with.

That in mind, what features, units, historical figures, and concepts would you like to see in the mod? While we've got a good design document in the works, this is your chance to brainstorm for ideas. There's plenty of room to expand and fill in this mod, and personally, I'd love to see what the community is thinking.

So feel free to bounce ideas off of one another, I'll be happy to chronicle your progress :p

I would like to see the main hero for the Spartan's being Leonidas.
Only those who seek failure will recive it, but those who seek success will only gain success.

#3 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:11 AM

Why?

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

I would like to see the main hero for the Spartan's being Leonidas.

You're in luck.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#5 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

As far as heroes, I think Lysander for Sparta was a much more significant figure. He was the admiral in charge of Sparta's fleet, and a cunning tactician, who was probably instrumental in leading Sparta's navy and Sparta itself to victory. Some naval based powers might be cool, maybe leadership to ships whilst he's on board? He should probably be a decent warrior too, being Spartan and all :p

Pericles for Athens was the commander in chief of Athens' during the start of the war, but it seems like he was more of a political and diplomatic figure. He was an orator and was apparently incredibly intelligent - so he'd probably be good as a leadership/support type hero. He died mid-way through the war from illness, but he seems to have been a strong defensive leader.

And i can't remember if defence towers have really been discussed for Sparta, but perhaps a garrison/slaved unit type upgrade would be nice instead. You could make them drafted helots or light hoplites maybe, or peltasts if you thought a ranged thing would be better ;) It could be a global upgrade, or perhaps it could be a building-by-building upgrade.. The better buildings like the fortresses/barracks would get more/better units for protection than buildings like houses/farms.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

The helot guard idea has been discussed, and as far as I know, will be implemented.

#7 Adamin

Adamin
  • Project Team
  • 180 posts
  • Projects:Edain Mod
  •  Skinner, 2D-Artist, Isengard-Freak

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

Do you want to keep it historically correct, or would you consider to add the opposing gods Ares and Athene as a kind of "ringhero"? ^^

Something like: Find the magical amphora with ambrosia to please thy god so he aids you in battle.

Edited by Adamin, 19 November 2010 - 04:58 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien-
"Obstacles are those terrible things you see when you take your eyes off your goals."
-Unknown-

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

We won't include actual manifestations of Greek mythology, no. We might use a system where you choose which god to worship through the spellbook, causing your faction to focus on certain things that represent that god (Ares for example would increase attack) but there won't be anything supernatural going on.

#9 Adamin

Adamin
  • Project Team
  • 180 posts
  • Projects:Edain Mod
  •  Skinner, 2D-Artist, Isengard-Freak

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Too bad. Well, you can't have both, I guess. ^^

This mod will still be pretty cool.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien-
"Obstacles are those terrible things you see when you take your eyes off your goals."
-Unknown-

#10 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

You can, but not when you're going for some degree of historical accuracy, which we are. :thumbsupsmiley:

#11 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

I suggest a feature that randomly creates lag during battle scenes, letting blood fly in UNREASONABLY EPIC WAYS. Like in the movies. :ermm:
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

Noted. Thanks Athos.

#13 King Harlaus

King Harlaus
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

Would it mean that you plan to make news maps , news campaigns ( if it's the case ) , news templates ?
I wish you good luck for your mod ,I'm looking forward eagerly . :ermm:
"Life without a friend is like death without a witness."

#14 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by templates, but we do plan to have some new maps eventually. Campaigns, I wouldn't count on it.

#15 Guest_King Harlaus_*

Guest_King Harlaus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

I mean assets ,it was wrong word , sorry for that . I like the idea , though , it's innovative . Rome:Total War has a mod of LOTR , and for now BFME has a mod for Ancient Greece and wars in this era .I think i'll enjoy that .
If you want to create news weapons , news armours , there is a game about medieval or so ; Mount and Blade . I don't know if it fits with what you want , because it's medieval not in Greece but there are some interesting things in it .
And finally a game in which you could inspire : Fate of Hellas

#16 Sauhron

Sauhron
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapping, scripting, and annoying people

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

Off Topic:

If you want to create news weapons , news armours , there is a game about medieval or so ; Mount and Blade .

I love that game. :ermm:

On topic:
What maps are you going to add for sure?

Edited by Sauhron, 21 November 2010 - 05:07 PM.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.

#17 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Greek

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#18 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

I mean assets ,it was wrong word , sorry for that . I like the idea , though , it's innovative . Rome:Total War has a mod of LOTR , and for now BFME has a mod for Ancient Greece and wars in this era .I think i'll enjoy that .
If you want to create news weapons , news armours , there is a game about medieval or so ; Mount and Blade . I don't know if it fits with what you want , because it's medieval not in Greece but there are some interesting things in it .
And finally a game in which you could inspire : Fate of Hellas

Of course we will make (and are already pouring out) new assets. We will make all of these ourselves, and we won't use assets from other teams or developers, regardless of how good they might be. We want to be stay original. Besides, M&B doesn't have hoplite armor as far as I know. :ermm:

We take our inspiration mostly from older strategy games and the actual historical information that is available about the time period.

#19 King Harlaus

King Harlaus
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

There are some old strategy games , as far as I know , which are good . For instance , Age of Empires ( you know them ....) , but I can provide you some ideas , Ancient Wars : Sparta , Sparta 2 ;Alexander the Great , Spartan : Total Warrior ( ps2 )
"Life without a friend is like death without a witness."

#20 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Age of Empires is of coursed being used as a reference, Ancient Wars: Sparta, I used a few Ideas from it, but overall, it's a pretty crappy game IMO, not sure how much it will be referenced. Since it contains most of the ideas we pulled from historical reference anyways.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users