Photo

Fixing Connection Issues (Port Forwarding Guide)

bfme1 & bfme2

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#201 iamluthien

iamluthien
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:13 PM

Hi there! How do I allow the game to send and receive TCP and UDP packages? I am trying to understand how to do that but I didn't find a way

#202 Lord_Provecho

Lord_Provecho
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:55 PM

Hello,

A friend and I also have connection problems in the lobby before a game. It sounds a lot like the problems discussed in this thread. And we´d be quite thankful for some help!

I´ve already tried port forwarding and I´m quite sure that I set this up correctly. But the tool "port forward network utilities" (and other port check websites) tell me, that the port is not open. 

I guess it´s the CGNAT problem explained earlier (by Jokuc). But my internet provider says they can´t change anything about it. I have to stay with my current IP adress.

Is there any other solvution for the connection problem?

Do we absolutely need an open port, or could we change the in-game settings like not-checking the firewall (we already put the options.ini to ready-only)?

What about VPN tunneling? Has anyone experience?

Or can we also somehow use IPv6 adresses (some day)?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Lord_Provecho, 02 April 2020 - 07:57 PM.

#203 Jokuc

Jokuc

Hardcore Procrastinator

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:20 PM

Hi there! How do I allow the game to send and receive TCP and UDP packages? I am trying to understand how to do that but I didn't find a way

1. Search for "firewall" and press Windows Defender Firewall with advanced security.

2. Go to "inbound rules" and look if you have bfme in this list. If not, press New Rule -> Program -> Next -> This Program Path (pick lotrbfme2.exe) -> Next -> Allow The Connection -> next next (give a name)

3. Do the same in "outbound rules"

I´ve already tried port forwarding and I´m quite sure that I set this up correctly. But the tool "port forward network utilities" (and other port check websites) tell me, that the port is not open. 

I guess it´s the CGNAT problem explained earlier (by Jokuc). But my internet provider says they can´t change anything about it. I have to stay with my current IP adress.

Is there any other solvution for the connection problem?

Do we absolutely need an open port, or could we change the in-game settings like not-checking the firewall (we already put the options.ini to ready-only)?

What about VPN tunneling? Has anyone experience?

Or can we also somehow use IPv6 adresses (some day)?

If you specified that you want your own (dedicated) public ip and they tell you they won't do it there's not much you can do about that issue other than changing isp. Have they told you that they do use cgnat or is this just speculation on your part? It's easy to get someone stupid on the other end of the tech support line, I once called asking to get rid of cgnat and he said they weren't using it but sounded like he didn't even understand what I was talking about. I called again and got to talk to someone more educated who fixed it right away.

Port 16000 does absolutely need to be open, the game uses p2p. As for the options.ini file, as this guide tells you, the 3 first lines should be added. The fourth (firewallportoverride) is only added if you play bfme1 and the gamespyip should be removed. You shouldn't have to put in any specific in-game settings, just try press refresh nat in options.

You can try a VPN but pick a server that allows p2p.

No, bfme is an old game, it doesn't support IPv6 afaik.

Honestly at this point you might just want to try gameranger instead of t3ao, but you might have issues there too as they also use port 16000. Worth a try though.

#204 Kircix

Kircix
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:02 AM

I desperately need help. I have been trying to follow all of these guides for the last few days so I can play BFME1 online. I am unable to connect to other players (there was one occassion where I could join but I don't know why). I really want to play online but am getting frustrated following these guides over and over with no results. Can someone please suggest some ideas of what might be wrong? Maybe ask me to screen you particular things so you can check that I'm not just a complete idiot? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've got my PortForward and my BFME Options attached. What am I missing? I'm going insane! I have just used PortChecker and it says that 16000 isn't open (but I have done everything I'm supposed to have, I'm sure). Please send Aid!

Is there an issue around IPv4 and IPv6? When I use whatsmyip.com it says IPv4 not detected (it is only giving my IPv6 address). Is the issue here?

Attached Thumbnails

• PortForward.PNG
  • BFME Options.PNG

Edited by Kircix, 06 April 2020 - 02:49 AM.

#205 907lannister

907lannister
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:25 AM

This is for a LAN Network game right? And solutions should work on mac as well? On the same network we see each others game but when either of us tries to join the other it says "connection timed out". 1/10 times we are able to make it into the same lobby but as soon as the game starts loading up one is kicked out. We both have the most updated RoTWK 2.02. 

#206 charly0121

charly0121
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:00 PM

Hi.

My friends and me did every step. Open 1600 port, edit options.ini, block write permisions, etc. But we have problems with NAT. Sometimes refreshing NAT we solve the problem, but not always.

If we play 1vs1 usualy can play, 1vs2 too. But, if we are more players its really really dificult play.

Is there any solution?

#207 Erosael

Erosael
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:12 PM

Hello, 

T3A Online only works within same network but in diferent networks always shows ''Attempting to connect''

I've followed instructions to PORT OPENING and Firewall configuration but I can't play onlline with my friends.

Can you help me?

#208 catdog88

catdog88
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:43 AM

Hello firends of middle earth,me and my friends we are a huge funs of the trilogy and the strategy game since we play it from the beggining.I am writing here so we can find a solution to play the Last mode online Age of the Ring 5.1 version.  e.g It was possible to played it before in the last versions via gameranger.

Any kind of help would be great!

Attached Thumbnails

• rotwk problem.png

#209 Fenix29

Fenix29
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:59 PM

I tried port forward. I don't understand if I'm wrong to configure the modem or what the problem is because every time I'm online multiplayer I lose the connection. I didn't understand what values I have to enter on my modem configuration.

#210 RiseOfBasti

RiseOfBasti
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:17 PM

Hi there!

I successfully managed to get the Age of the Ring 6.1 mod for RotWk running under linux (current wine 5.22 only) with full T3A Online support, dxvk, and everything running very, very well on ultra graphics :)
Under wine, I'm able to ping e.g. google.com with reasonable response times (10 - 20 ms).
My UDP port 16000 is open (ufw + rooter + ISP should not be the problem here).
I even tried it without FW at all and exposed host (just to be sure).
I can login in the game as well.

The only problem I face:
In the lobby I always get the "red" connection dot with constantly showing 1000ms ping. 

Therefore (I guess!) the game kicks everyone out with the "out of sync" error in multiplayer mode after ~30 seconds. I could not observe any lag during that short period though.

I'm very unsure where that's exaclty coming from.
Regarding the port issue, there is only one hint given: The program seems not to able to determine the "correct firewall profile state" itself if I interpret that log entry correctly:
"00d4:fixme:hnetcfg:fw_profile_get_FirewallEnabled 18190518, 0031E5B0"
However, I could not find anything useful for fixing that yet.

I would be glad for any other hints regarding my (unique?) problem...

Edit:
The connection is now stable and green... I had to grant setcap cap_net_raw+epi wineserver and wine-preloader.
Everything runs perfectly stable and smooth for the first few minutes online. Still, out of a sudden => Dsync. Kind of sad :(

Edited by RiseOfBasti, 22 January 2021 - 11:58 PM.

#211 Mirekson

Mirekson
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:40 PM

Guys hello i have one problem, i cant set up port-forwarding on my asus router :/ when i do same thing like each other i cant play with frined :(

#212 Azanged

Azanged
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:40 PM

Solving issue of port 16000 blocked even after portforward

So you have set up your Options.ini, you made the exceptions in the firewall and you've finally done the portforwarding people told you about... but you still can't connect to players, and the port tester fails to connect.

Finding the reason can be difficult, but a common problem that not many people know about is actually caused by your ISP (internet service provider). Most addresses you will find on the internet use the protocol IPv4, however this type of IP has been around for a long time and the addresses are running out. There is another protocol called IPv6, which will fix this issue, but it takes time to transition to this protocol with already established services. So in the meantime, a lot of ISPs have resorted into using something called Carrier-Grade Network Address Translation or CGNAT/CGN for short. This technology allows multiple users to share the same public IP-address, saving address-space.

A regular NAT takes a Private IP (the IP used on your home network to identify your computer, 192.168.1.25 for example), then converts it into a Public IP (the IP displayed on the internet, 85.132.133.196 for example). The difference between this and CGNAT is that multiple users behind a cgnat will share the same Public IP, but each user connected with this IP will be logged with a tag to identify where the traffic should be routed back to. Since this means you do not have your own unique IPv4 address but rather shares one with other people, it also means that you cannot control the ports for this IP and thus portforwarding is not possible. Your ISP is in control of the ports and if they do not have the specific port you need open, in this case 16000 udp, this is most likely what is causing the connection problems.  (note: this explanation is simplified)

So how do you know if you're behind CGNAT? First you can see if your public IP displayed on websites such as whatismyip.com is the same as the WAN IP listed in your router settings. If they are not the same, chances are you're behind cgnat. Some routers don't show WAN IP in the settings, sadly. But the best way to find out is to call your ISP and ask if you are behind a CGNAT or NAT444. If they say you are, tell them that you want it gone and you need a dedicated Public IP. Some ISPs will do this for free, others will charge you a small fee for it. Some even state on their website that they are using this technology so you can make sure beforehand that it's their doing.

If you want a more detailed explanation follow these links:

https://chrisgrundem...cgn-lsn-breaks/

https://www.a10netwo...rier-grade-nat/

https://www.networkw...-grade-nat.html

Edit: Made it easier to understand while including links to more detailed explanations.

I'm not yet entirely sure this is what's causing my issue, I still need to ask my ISP to provide me with a public IP to test it, but I've been searching for DAYS why all the instructions I've been following didn't work. This should be pinned with the other set of "Network issues" potential solutions.

#213 Jaydon2908

Jaydon2908
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:44 PM

I'm trying to play AOTR online with a friend but when he tries to go a message pops up

The lord of the rings, the rise of the witch king servers have been permanently shut down. Please click help in the unofficial 2.02 patch launcher to learn how to continue playing online with the gameReplays.org

Edited by Jaydon2908, 14 April 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#214 caranthiro

caranthiro
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:16 AM

Hi there!

I successfully managed to get the Age of the Ring 6.1 mod for RotWk running under linux (current wine 5.22 only) with full T3A Online support, dxvk, and everything running very, very well on ultra graphics :)
Under wine, I'm able to ping e.g. google.com with reasonable response times (10 - 20 ms).
My UDP port 16000 is open (ufw + rooter + ISP should not be the problem here).
I even tried it without FW at all and exposed host (just to be sure).
I can login in the game as well.

The only problem I face:
In the lobby I always get the "red" connection dot with constantly showing 1000ms ping. 

Therefore (I guess!) the game kicks everyone out with the "out of sync" error in multiplayer mode after ~30 seconds. I could not observe any lag during that short period though.

I'm very unsure where that's exaclty coming from.
Regarding the port issue, there is only one hint given: The program seems not to able to determine the "correct firewall profile state" itself if I interpret that log entry correctly:
"00d4:fixme:hnetcfg:fw_profile_get_FirewallEnabled 18190518, 0031E5B0"
However, I could not find anything useful for fixing that yet.

I would be glad for any other hints regarding my (unique?) problem...

Edit:
The connection is now stable and green... I had to grant setcap cap_net_raw+epi wineserver and wine-preloader.
Everything runs perfectly stable and smooth for the first few minutes online. Still, out of a sudden => Dsync. Kind of sad :(

I have this exact same problem as well but with RotWK on Wine 6.0.

Could log into multiplayer but had the red icon, couldn't ping, kept getting kicked out when joining or hosting a game.

After setcap, yellow icon but still getting kicked out of game after a minute or two.

Any other linux users able to get it to work?

#215 doyouplaynaked

doyouplaynaked
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:45 PM

Hello everybody, I am getting this error trying to play RotWK with my friend (ChelseaFC), I played with another friend and it worked perfectly, but with this friend

(ChelseaFC), we are getting this problem (first we have a Hourglass and then the Hourglass turn into this black icon)

He followed all the steps mentioned in the revora forums:

install BFME2

Install patch 1.06

install BFME2ROTWK

Install patch 2.01

Install patch 2.02 v8

Install patch 2.02 v8 updates 8.04

Create Revora and t3a accounts

install t3a online

Open t3a launcher

press hook and the top and tick ROTWK

Anybody has a fix for this? PLEASE HELP US! :(

4lc63gq9dfe71.jpg

#216 D0ro-Ash0nt

D0ro-Ash0nt
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:44 PM

HELP same problem here

#217 darkphoenix95

darkphoenix95
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:16 AM

Help same problem as well

#218 pacers_7_is_back

pacers_7_is_back
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:56 PM

Having an issue getting a game connected via LAN, tried both with the T3A 1.06 patch and again with 1.09 with no benefit with either. I have an ASUS router with port forwarding set up for 16000 to PC-A and 16001 to PC-B. PC-A is connected via ethernet to router and PC-B is connected via WiFi.

When in-game and in the Network Play tab, PC-A can see PC-B in the Player Names, but PC-B cannot see PC-A. If PC-A hosts, no game shows up under current games on PC-B, but if PC-B hosts, their game shows up on PC-A. When PC-A goes to join PC-B, PC-A gets an error every time saying that the connection timed out. Sometimes, PC-B will show PC-A as having joined the game but it of course errors when a game is started since PC-A never actually connected.

I've narrowed it down to being a router setting, as I then connected PC-A to PC-B via ethernet for a true LAN, no router or switch in between, and was able to connect to each other just fine. I don't believe there are any Windows settings that would cause it to be a problem when the router is making the network but works just fine on a direct connection. Any ideas what router settings would case the computers to not be fully visible to each other? Both are listed as private connections in Windows.

Edit: FWIW, it's exclusively a BFME problem. I don't have the same issue doing LAN games in Age of Empires 2 Deluxe with PC-A on ethernet to router and PC-B on WiFi to router.

Edited by pacers_7_is_back, 04 January 2022 - 09:59 PM.

#219 hushlk

hushlk
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 12:09 AM

Hello friends, sorry to bother you, but can you help me? every time i try to play online with my friend i get an error that says = that this way the connections are in
connection progress or problem detected please
click on the connections button where
you can check all player connections and try again. What do I do?

#220 PsychoPigeon

PsychoPigeon
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:18 PM

I remember now all the issues when starting a multiplayer game back in 2004, fond memories. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users