Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

It's a misconception that books are more valuable for knowledge than any other medium for stories.  I think video games are a better medium for information than books, to be honest.

#22 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

That being said, to be honest, I'd only got in contact with GoT because of the video game pack that I bought at the Humble Bundle.

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#23 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

The GoT game is horrendous.  It makes the TV show seem bearable.  Maybe the Tell Tale one will have some worth.

Edited by Pasidon, 20 April 2014 - 05:04 AM.

#24 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Just watched this week's episode. My favorite character is back! 

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#25 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'll get on that new episode when my riff team assembles.  Hopefully this character is The Mountain.  I miss him.

#26 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Unfortunately not. He does get a fair few mentions. Seems he'll be coming back soon.

#27 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Ye, they gave a big shout-out to the big man himself in the look back of last week's episode, reminding us he cleaved a woman in half.  Almost as if he was actually going to be important in last week's episode.  Which sounds amazing... so why the heck are we watching Captain Iron Price shave the weasel penis torture man when we can be watching that?

#28 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I don't see the criticisms of Jaime acting like a spoiled child now that he's back in King's Landing.  If anything he's trying to be responsible by leading the Kingsguard and learning to fight with his remaining hand.  If anything he's been shat on a lot by other characters for getting captured and maimed.  Everyone from his sister to Loras Tyrell has taken shots at him over it so far.  This isn't the same character that pushed a kid out of a window.

Aaaand...cue the "rape your sister in front of your dead son" moment.

Also, the Hound steals from a poor farmer. I guess this was the "oh, they haven't become such good guys after all" episode.

If you are wondering about whether the Mountain is coming back soon, the answer is:

Spoiler

By the way, it appears Tywin Lannister is this show's "breakout character". He's obviously important in the books, but many scenes that are shown on screen are merely implied on paper, or sometimes they are made up for TV altogether. As long as that gives us great scenes like those with Arya in the castle, and the one with Tommen in the latest episode, I don't mind.

bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#29 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Tywin is a magnificent bastard. I'm still looking forward to Tyrion's next bit, though: he's always been my favorite character in the books, and I think that Peter Dinklage's portrayal of him is spot-on.

And pretty sure that the Hound stole from and murdered the farmer. That was the implication I got. :p

BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#30 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hmm, I thought he just knocked him out, but not sure.

Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#31 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yeah... he knocked him out, I think.

#32 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

http://quartermaester.info/

Found a link to this in an article about the series, and thought I'd pass it along. Don't move the slider further than you've gone in the series, or you might have character deaths spoiled for you. :p

#33 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Well, for book readers (and non-readers, you might like to know that) the latest episode was very interesting, because they've changed many things from paper to screen.

Most importantly, that whole baby ritual at the end, while it has been a fan theory for ages, was never explicitly described in the books. Although it's probable that it will be in the future, which doesn't so much make it a change as a peek ahead.

Another pretty big change: In the books, Jon doesn't go back beyond the wall to attack the mutineers. Nor do the latter capture Ghost or Bran. And on TV, Jon now knows where Bran is, while in the books he does not.

More changes that could impact the future plot:

- That new guy with the Night's Watch (Locke, the one who cut off Jaime's hand) is a show-only character. However, what he did previously was just moved from some other character(s) in the book. This, however, is new.

- Pod does not immediately join Brienne in the books, but later.

While it has always been fun to watch Game of Thrones as a book reader, this definitely makes it even more interesting for us. And, there are a ton more changes that don't really affect the grand storyline, but nonetheless add to the new and shiny factor.

#34 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

I've never really been interested in what and what isn't from the books.  To me, what matters is what I see in the show.  And for the past two seasons, the excuse of, "Well, this is how the books tell the story.  It's supposed to be slow at this point." is getting a wee bit dumb.  Grandpa, put your reading glasses down, because we watchin' duh telovisor.  There's no excuse for excessively dry writing and standing in one place for a consecutive amount of time like it's some sort of sick game carried through generations of controversial midget plays.  

But... watched the past 3 episodes, and it's actually picking up a bit more.  That battle with captain deep rape throat at the end of the last one was a bit cheese... "I'm'ah stab you, so I hope no one comes up behind me and..." That sort of cheese.  So yea, it's no season 1, but it's getting a bit more watchable for me.    

Edited by Pasidon, 07 May 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#35 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

I've never really been interested in what and what isn't from the books.  To me, what matters is what I see in the show.  And for the past two seasons, the excuse of, "Well, this is how the books tell the story.  It's supposed to be slow at this point." is getting a wee bit dumb.  Grandpa, put your reading glasses down, because we watchin' duh telovisor.  There's no excuse for excessively dry writing and standing in one place for a consecutive amount of time like it's some sort of sick game carried through generations of controversial midget plays.

If A Song of Ice and Fire is your idea of "excessively dry writing," I'd hate to see what you think of most other books without pictures.

#36 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

I never critiqued the books, as I have not read them.  And probably never will.  I'm saying season 2 &3 of the show were excessively dry.

#37 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

I disagree, I quite like those exposition scenes where people just stand and talk.

#38 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Normally I would as well, but I've watched those last 2 seasons twice and the dialogue just isn't up to the par I expect from television.  Usually TV dialogue isn't based around so much repetition.  It has layers of visible progression to keep the viewer engaged.  Characters or ambiance undergoing change because of the natural progression of the story.  Seasons 2 and 3, and the first couple of episodes this new season just orbited around the exact same settings and the exact same people with the exact same subjects and issues with inch-worm levels of character progression.  I will even use that prostitute that Tyrion Lanister had with him for a good deal of those seasons.  It was literally her or him wanting to have sex, and the other refusing for some reason.  Then it was one of them complaining about something and starting an argument they had already.  Those seasons were literally Vaas from Farcry 3 explaining the definition of insanity to me over and over again.  Drinking wine in King's Landing and talking about marriages.  Torturing a guy for 12 episodes and achieving the same things every time.  Walking in the wilderness and being hinted at things, but never really accomplishing anything until a season started or ended.  

#39 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

I quite like those exposition scenes where people just stand and talk.

Or do other things and talk.  :smilehuh: 

If A Song of Ice and Fire is your idea of "excessively dry writing," I'd hate to see what you think of most other books without pictures.

If you need an example dry writing, try the middle books of Wheel of Time.

#40 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I quite like those exposition scenes where people just stand and talk.

Or do other things and talk.  :smilehuh: 

Sexposition!

If A Song of Ice and Fire is your idea of "excessively dry writing," I'd hate to see what you think of most other books without pictures.

If you need an example dry writing, try the middle books of Wheel of Time.

Seconded. Not only is the writing dry, but also nothing ever happens. Book 10 is nothing but the same two days from the POV of Every. Minor. Character.

...on topic, A Song of Ice and Fire is still great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users