At least things like Zorbs got nerfed and they're in a good state now.
I disagree with this based on the tests I did before on the hidden forum as you know.
Other than that I completely agree with you. Even barracudas are too strong. It takes only 4 barracudes to kill a t3 building, where you'll be sure to hardly lose on in the progress. (Especially against flak, but also gatling & shrike)
Right now, too many units are made either too situationally or too OP when just looking at stats.
Lets look at some stats for several units:
- Pretty fast
- Insane anti building damage (ONLY 4 ARE ABLE TO KILL T3 & SW'S?)
- Very high survival rate (High hp/armour)
- Flying -> Thus can't take damage from every single unit
Their weakness ->
Aeroblazes, gehenna platforms. (Gehenna platforms take time to kill them so you'd have actually lost your t3 by the time they're dead) and maybe skyrays? Who even knows. I've hardly ever seen them die when playing against a player who actually MICROS his air.
- Pretty good at scouting
- Dies very quickly
- Hardly no damage
- Actually pretty costly for what they are able to do? (550, really?)
-Can squish infantry by walking over them
-Stronger with megaarena
- Can die pretty quickly when focused
What megaarena does: REMOVES THE WEAKNESS A UNIT HAS AND MAKES IT EVEN STRONGER BY ADDING AOE INFANTRY INSTA KILL
You want units to be used more / less?
Balance their stats! There are simple formulas to try and balance your units.
Formulas will be talked more about at the bottom of this post.
Continueing about the Jets in general, if you really want to make the jets more engaging & fun to use for the player, make airfields cheaper, jets cheaper but make them do significantly less too.
You want to have a nice air force, and actually use them in the game for anything else other than sniping tech or a single unit because they are too expensive to keep rebuilding for anything else that's not a centurion, a single hero or something similar? Well tough luck because that's currently not how it works.
Some fun fixes for fixing allied jets for example, would be making them cost significantly less & make them do less damage to compensate the cost and even shorten the reloading time. You could use around 3-4 harriers to kill an MBT instead of two and around 8 to actually kill a miner. (instead of 4)
Now what does this change ACTUALLY do besides changing stats?
- More fun & engaging gameplay for an air-type player. Due to the shorter reloading time, you can snipe units more often, also increase amount you need to micro.
- Due to their reduced cost, they'll actually be rebuildable without losing too much money thus players will recreate their planes more often.
- Jets will be used more often against anything else other than hero snipes / centurion snipes.
- Rebalanced stats allows them to die quicker aswell, thus anti air will immediately have more effect without even buffing anti air.
Now lets talk about actually balancing units.
Every, single unit will have to be balanced. Is a unit not balanced? Then it will get abused.
Every unit will have to receive a weakness to compensate for everything else they have.
Balancing out the strengths & weaknesses also determines how useful a unit will be ingame.
You want to have a tanky unit?
What to do?:
1. Low speed, Low damage, normal cost.
You want it do damage AND be tanky?
You're taking risks sir!
1. Low speed, insane costs, no anti air.
2. Low speed, normal costs, strong against tanks, vulnerable against infantry (for example)
You want a unit that does damage?
1. Low health, normal costs, normal speed.
Damage & quick?
1. Very low health, normal costs, vulnerable against "x unit type"
Units that DEFINITELY do not follow the balance formula:
Pteranodons -> Very tanky -> AREA OF EFFECT DAMAGE -> Very quick -> good damage | Weakness: It's rumoured not to be immortal.
Megalodons + megaarena -> Very quick -> Instakill all infantry within an area -> tanky -> a lot of damage against both buildings & tanks aswell. | Weakness: It's mortal and actually balanced when megaarena doesn't exist.
Zorbfloater -> Quick (with spinblade) -> High survival rate/tanky (regen) -> Insane damage -> insane AoE damage. | Weakness: Fucking dogs that'll never get close enough anyway, or maybe some luck with a terror drone.
Finalize -> High survival rate (insane regen even with 25% nerf) -> DECIMATES ALL GROUND UNITS -> Normal speed. -> 2 heroes thus you'll still have trouble when the other one is dead. | Weakness: Sometimes not being able to be built because foehn won before t3 anyway.
And many more! ( I didnt even mention the weak ones like rocketeers which are basically a unit nobody ever creates, or plagueplatters, those too)
That's all folks.