• Please log in to reply
2298 replies to this topic

#121 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Did The Lunatic, wasn't that much of a problem now without all those Terror Drones. However, it seems Chitzkoi is fated to die by triggers in this mission? I was at the part where I had to evacuate. I was standing still with Volkov, so he heals up some health, with Chitzkoi standing on guard. There were no enemies coming, no mines, it was an empty field. And Chitzkoi just fell over and died. And I was like, WTF. This happened in Recharger too, btw.

And now comes Unshakeable. Gulp...

Edit: What the actual hell is this mission????

Edited by Solais, 25 December 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#122 The Jovian

The Jovian
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

Did The Lunatic, wasn't that much of a problem now without all those Terror Drones. However, it seems Chitzkoi is fated to die by triggers in this mission? I was at the part where I had to evacuate. I was standing still with Volkov, so he heals up some health, with Chitzkoi standing on guard. There were no enemies coming, no mines, it was an empty field. And Chitzkoi just fell over and died. And I was like, WTF.

And now comes Unshakeable. Gulp...

Edit: What the actual hell is this mission????

Good luck.

#123 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Well on my first try, the only survivor was the engineer I dropped near the conyard to capture it. It seemed like I could do something, but then came money shortage, and then from nowhere I was surrounded. Also something destroyed all my buildings and there were no enemy units anywhere. Some invisible force killing my stuff seems to be a recurring issue.

Weird, in 3.0, I could actually reach the base with my army, but not now. It was somehow made harder on Easy??

Edited by Solais, 25 December 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#124 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Scratch that. I beat Unshakeable on the second try... You probably don't expect this, but Unshakeable on Easy... is actually easy! It's kinda like Peace Treaty. The start of the mission is crazy fast, then when the Chinese attack, there are so many of them, you need all those Future Tanks and a lot of flak to beat them back... and then nothing else. You just build up your base, build a ton of gyrocopters and sweep up the remains peacefully. It's almost disappointing. Almost.

#125 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

Scratch that. I beat Unshakeable on the second try... You probably don't expect this, but Unshakeable on Easy... is actually easy! It's kinda like Peace Treaty. The start of the mission is crazy fast, then when the Chinese attack, there are so many of them, you need all those Future Tanks and a lot of flak to beat them back... and then nothing else. You just build up your base, build a ton of gyrocopters and sweep up the remains peacefully. It's almost disappointing. Almost.

Same here, it took me a whole patch to realize that I can stop the stabilizer from breaking by capping the assembly :v

Also, the initial pressure is considerably less now, and you can turn your infantries elite if you put a sabo on barracks before your army lands. That makes the game much much easier. All I did is spam Tesla troopers and tanks. Those Troopers are so abuseable

The prisms are annoying though, but that's why we have Morales

Meanwhile, Dragonstorm. you can probably avoid using Nuclear Missile, but I build it anyways. In the beginning I already have a whole regiment of Soviet Russia's glorius army of infantries + rhinos. As I rush though, I realized that apocalypse + infantry blob is an unstoppable force (tesla+pyro+flaks+apoc w/ heal aura = flattened base). Probably need to siege the cannons and hammers with v3s at times, but overall it's just the matter of making humongous army in seconds and going with it. Spamming pyros and teslas are fun

Also, you lose access to psicorps tech but if you build a Vats/Sensor, you seem to be able to keep it until it gets blown up by the chinese. Luckily nuclear missile never hit it :D

Edited by Handepsilon, 25 December 2016 - 03:16 PM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#126 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, that's what I noticed with the Soviet campaign. Screw tanks, they are made out of cardboard anyways. Mass tesla, mass pyro and mass flak to defend against rocketeers, and you can destroy ANYTHING.

Btw, in Unshakeable, I put sabo in the power plant so my army can easily crush the prisms while moving towards the base. That and the sniper I didn't find the first time what stopped me on the first try. Now most of my army reached the base, I dropped the engineer, captured the conyard, quick barracks, million engineers to the to repair up and get the future tanks, and that was it. Didn't realize that capping the assembly would stop the explosions, but they weren't a problem after the Chinese assault.

#127 X1Destroy

X1Destroy

title available

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

I can't complete Unshakable. I trashed all of theirs attack, capped the com center tech and then hunted down every single last enemy yet the mission still doesn't end.

They have stealthy ones or something?

Sure as hell it is easier compared to 3.0. So many reinforcements that you can just brute force your way through. The timer is also much slower.

Back then it took me like what? 20 times before I can get to the base and start building shits. Only to loose because the stabilizer get swarmed suddenly and explode.

Now I did everything in first try. So easy now.

Edited by X1Destroy, 25 December 2016 - 04:30 PM.

"Protecting the land of the Free."
efXH1rz.png

#128 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

And Act 1 Soviet campaign done! I enjoyed Dragonstorm quite a lot.

So far I think the Soviet Act 1 Campaign felt somewhat less polished than the Allied Campaign. The first half especially, it felt like as if it was not changed at all from 3.0 until you survived the first attack, and then the AI just shut itself down for the rest of the mission. I enjoyed Dragonstorm because while it was definitely not that hard, there were at least constant attacks and pressure. I think I recall beating Dragonstorm in 3.0 as well, and I enjoyed it the same.

Infantry is still overpowered, and that's the key to win as well. Now the Epsilon campaign. That will be a doozy.

Edited by Solais, 25 December 2016 - 05:09 PM.

#129 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

The one and only master of Scorpion Cell

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, that's what I noticed with the Soviet campaign. Screw tanks, they are made out of cardboard anyways. Mass tesla, mass pyro and mass flak to defend against rocketeers, and you can destroy ANYTHING.

Btw, in Unshakeable, I put sabo in the power plant so my army can easily crush the prisms while moving towards the base. That and the sniper I didn't find the first time what stopped me on the first try. Now most of my army reached the base, I dropped the engineer, captured the conyard, quick barracks, million engineers to the to repair up and get the future tanks, and that was it. Didn't realize that capping the assembly would stop the explosions, but they weren't a problem after the Chinese assault.

Why infiltrating power plant when you can safely destroy 2 nuke plants powering entire complex close to the upper edge of map near Kanegawa Building? That gives you free entrance and you dont need to worry about enemy defenses.

#130 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Because I haven't found them until I was sweeping up the level with the gyros.

#131 eberronguy

eberronguy
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Projects:The Great Shattering Illusion for Darkest Hour
  •  COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

Just beat Soviet 14 for the first time. That was a lot of fun, and really good for practicing micro. Between the colonels, the air units, and the Seige Cadres you can liberate at the top of the map I was able to destroy all of Yuri's Forces before escaping save for the people immediately around the Pentagon and the Allied base next to it.

SPREAD THE DESTRUC-I MEAN THE LOVE!!!

#132 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:18 AM

Beat Peacekeeper. But Allied tried to ambush me twice :v

Fear my Abrams, capitalist (and actual) dogs!

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#133 Steelpoint

Steelpoint
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

When I was playing the Allied mission Beautiful Mind of Act 1 I failed to realise you had to destroy a Iron Curtin in order to even damage the Psychic Amplifier, I guess in the chaos I failed to notice the suggestion to attack the Iron Curtin, as I checked my orders and it did not mention the Iron Curtin. I was slightly annoyed when I lost due to my entire army grinding up against the amplifier and doing nothing.

#134 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

Well, Accelerant seems to be still as hard as the original... except now the artillery cannons also shoot at units they didn't before, making it even more of an awful mission. I'll try a few times, but I'm considering skipping it.

Edit: Yes, this mission is currently broken, so skipping it.

Edited by Solais, 26 December 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#135 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

The one and only master of Scorpion Cell

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Iron Curtain before making Nuke is necessary in Dragonstorm. With it, you can simply send borillos under curtain to destroy enemy nuke.

#136 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

Can we just nuke the current Epsilon campaign from orbit and just start it over from scratch? It's like punishing you for wanting a Yuri campaign in YR. 

I did Scrapyard in 3.0, but it just pisses me off so much still, I'm losing the will to play the game. Skipping it. Was this campaign even touched for 3.3?

Edited by Solais, 26 December 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#137 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

]b]Accelerant[/b] : Made it in first try. I lost a psi corps trooper because he derped on the range of the cannon. Thankfully they're not exactly an anti infantry, but I had to be tricky so the cannon shoots the allied MC'ed GIs instead of the troopers, both of which doesn't exactly die easily on the cannon. And I think a garrisoned Allied civ building from 3.0 is missing. Had to post conscripts on bridge since they keep recapping the cannons... Not sure about 3.0, but the final assault waits for us to actually secure all the cannon, and after that Soviet Russia plows through Europe

Scrapyard : As already said, annoying, though not as much now I think... I made the allied paradrops to fight each others easily, and not to trigger the barrels prematurely. Massed the tanks, killed Assembly, but without anti infantry armaments, killing the Conyard on blue is hard with all the GGIs. I managed to destroy the base, only to have the allied massing hundreds of troops at my small outpost, killing my Stinger. After second try I found out that Rashidi is more than mere defenseless machinist.

1zgz51t.jpg

So apparently he carries a miniaturized Allied Grand Cannon, which shoots shell as big as the real one, but much faster and oneshots infantries too

Also, his stinger is fixed, and no Allied came until you act. By then you would have an army of mantis tanks. But GGIs ruined my economy big time

As a side note, Rashidi also has a weird way of celebrating victory.

b6ubm8.jpg

Shipwrecked : Nothing too interesting, just USA vs. USA. Spammed a lot of defenses since paradrops are annoying. I think this one is not touched at all.

Human Shield : Terror drone and barrel, but a bit easier and much bigger room for errors, and now you get to have Shadow Ring and Raven, which makes your life much much easier (also, lol at the lack of AA everywhere). This is where I abused the power of Psi Corps psychic shockwave to kill all the pesky dogs wandering about. In fact, it's so effective it kills more people than other units. Nice Lasher non-Yuri voice over btw.

Landlocked : I will guess this one is largely untouched. Same trick, same patrol and others. I lost all infantry while kiting the Abrams in, only managed to barely survive the assault. I lost my Mantis way earlier. I had tomake my way out of the turret's range (because I can't destroy it without provoking the Allied) before swinging barrels on engies. Then I had my stinger soaking mirage tank damage before capping the ConYard prototype. Almost failed to unload the engi and keeping him alive through the tank, but yay.

Think Different : Did this with a lot of tries, because tanks and (so so so many) Zephyrs are blocking the ores, and snipers.... oh I hate them so much. They blend well with terrains and sometimes are behind trees, making them practically invisible. My economy died the moment I capped the allied outpost containing War Factory and Barracks, because one... tanks keep coming on the left, and two...  HOW THE HELL DID THEY BUILD A BARRACKS NEXT TO MY WAR FACTORY WITHOUT ANY BUILDINGS NEXT TO IT? With all the pressure, I decided to restart on 28 game minute timer.

Second try, I realized I can just use my infiltrator to up my infantry's veterancy early in the game by infiltrating chinese barracks, then infiltrate the factory on allied outpost. Also, due to all the Battle Tortoises on the east, I decided that the war factory and the machine shop on the east edge had to go, making the outpost largely secure. It went a lot easier now that I know where the snipers are hiding and that I need to spam miners more than usual, though only after I capped the lab do I realize that there's a pair of oil derricks next to an expansion post on the east.

Also, for the theorists who didn't watch playthrough like me.

f4223b.jpg

Foehn vehicle prototypes huehuehue....

Warranty Void : Did it on first try, though after the bridge ordeal, I largely ignored that taskforce and moved on with my makeshift barracks to capture the entire outpost containing the tesla reactors. Boom da boom, goes the psychic beacon outpost, and capped. I didn't take time to look for that Libra easter egg tho.

Killing Fields : Those driver terrorists are evil.... evil I tell you. Killed my initiates a lot, and on second try, hurt a lot of my initiates before I even get battle control. Also lost tesla troopers early on first try due to the unexpected tesla coils. And who put a lot of conscripts and dogs in that spot? Sure I can get past it, but it costed a lot of me when I accidentally aggro all of them.

I also wish those sentries are covered in soviet wall instead of sandbags. My tesla accidentally destroyed them each time they attack the turrets.

Rashidi also doesn't have his awesome weapon anymore :(

Focus Shift : The initial terror drone is much more managable. I lost the first try because my psicorps trooper stack-shockwaved next to an ivan, killing all of them instantly, then mission failed when my last unit, a lone repair bot, tried to repair the Topol-M and died, right next to the tunnel too.... second try run smoother tho

Will save strength for Singularity and Moonlight later

Edited by Handepsilon, 26 December 2016 - 03:22 PM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#138 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

For me, the cannons always kill all of my units in Accelerant. The entire mission is annoying beyond belief.

I originally had a tactic in Scrapyard that I used: Mind controlling the engineers on the base and then capping the base. This is what saved me in 3.0. On the other hand, this time around, mass dogs on the base killed my psicorps, then I had no chance just to kill the base. Which then caused every unit to rush my base, and since tanks are useless and are made out of glass, I couldn't defend against all that. I wish I had a barracks. Oh, and after my failed attempt to cap the engineers, they decided to capture all of my oil derricks and I had no money left.

I did Shipwrecked, it is okay, though annoying (seriously, this is the theme for the Epsilon campaign: annoying), but its massive problem is the very start. You cap the conyard, you barely have time to build a barracks when the Allies send like 6 cargo planes at you. If you don't train a bajillion GIs and GGIs in time, they destroy your conyard without effort. So damn annoying!

I think I'm too annoyed to play more today. I started Human Shield, seen the two terror drones at the start, and I was like NOPENOPENOPE.

I think the main problem with the Epsilon campaign compared to the other ones that they are not fun at all (Except Focus Shift I think. I did that in 3.0 and really enjoyed it.). It's not that they are not possible, I just really don't want to play these missions. At all. I think due to the nature of the Epsilon missions, they are the ones missing the Save/Load function the most, due to not allowing to make any mistake at all.

And I can't really play the Act 2 missions yet due to missing mission briefings. Hope those are patched in soon.

Edited by Solais, 26 December 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#139 Thesilver

Thesilver
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Losing siegfried to the drakuv on the mermaid doesnt trigger mission failure for some reason. Which is good since i still managed to beat the mission despite that.

But yea, epsilon's act 1 campaign has a very large basis towards microing small numbers of adepts with focus shift being the one exception where you get 10 adepts from the start. If you are not very good at microing adepts then i understand your problems.

In act 2 it's alot more manageable. Only the second part of mission 13 still has it, but you get alot of extra support in that one so it's not adepts only.

#140 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

Human Shield: It's shit. Skipped.

Landlocked: Current stuck point. Not enough units. I keep trying the tactic used in every video, I feel my units die in one hit. I think I'm gonna make Stingers super strong via rulesmo.ini for this mission, because I know what to do, the game just doesn't let me do it. Also, suddenly Spooks. Should be replaced by Soviet Dogs, because they are not explained whatsoever.

Edited by Solais, 26 December 2016 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users