Photo

MO 3.3 // Feedback & Suggestions (Balance, New Features, Modifications etc.)

• Please log in to reply
5127 replies to this topic

#2721 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

Not sure how one would be able to load from the original client really. But then again I forgot how the original YR CNCNet client works

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#2722 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

It will stay the same, as in, you'll still be able to choose any mission from the get-go. 'Load Game' button will be in the main menu.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2723 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

Just asking, but if MO gets update after 3.3.3, would we need to delete our savegames as a result of possible map file changes?

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#2724 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

Just asking, but if MO gets update after 3.3.3, would we need to delete our savegames as a result of possible map file changes?

Unlikely. This is exactly why S/L feature is postponed in previous versions, until now.

In-game speed vs real life speed?   
Malver in Obisidian Sands?   
Strength-Agility-Intellect subfactions?    

#2725 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

Actually it was also because of all the stuff Ares inserts into the game.

#2726 Flandre

Flandre

Saury Hunter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  Defense Order

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

Will be there a way to "save" the save file of a MO game?

3qPyjQ8.png

#2727 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

What do you mean? They're files, you can do all the things that you normally can do with files.

MO3.3.3 save files will be stored in and read from a subfolder /Saved Games, which wasn't actually used before.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2728 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

Unlikely. This is exactly why S/L feature is postponed in previous versions, until now.

Well, some campaign maps get changes from time to time for various reason (such as bugs happening in previous version). I have high doubt that savegames can adapt to map changes.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#2729 Flandre

Flandre

Saury Hunter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  Defense Order

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

What do you mean? They're files, you can do all the things that you normally can do with files.

MO3.3.3 save files will be stored in and read from a subfolder /Saved Games, which wasn't actually used before.

Um that is what I said, just thinking of making backup save files in case something went wrong.

3qPyjQ8.png

#2730 Wayward Winds

Wayward Winds
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:46 PM

Making backup saves won't do any good with regards to Mental Omega updates.  They won't get touched by the update process, so if they stop working it'd be because the mod had moved on and rendered something in the old saves incompatible.  Not because they were corrupted.  Unless you somehow went back to the old version, the saves wouldn't start working again just because you restored from a backup directory.

Speaking from experience with Twisted Insurrection, small updates (ie bugfixes) don't tend to render saves incompatible.  Larger updates however (which, admittedly, is pretty much all Mental Omega updates) tend to shuffle things around as they add new stuff, and that's when things start going wrong.  It could be merely cosmetic (e.g. one Twisted Insurrection didn't stop my old saves from working, but if I loaded an old GDI mission save I now had the CABAL and the Nod interface.  Another update moved sound pointers around, so that I had Cyborg voice clips playing instead of gunfire sound effects... which given how many rounds got fired and thus how many times that clip played, got annoying quick)... or it could outright refuse to load.

You simply can't tell what will happen until... it happens.

If you know a major update is coming, it's best to finish up halfway done missions before it hits.  At least then, if worst comes to worst, the save wasn't wasted.

It's also worth emptying the save directory if they've been rendered non-functional by an update.  Just because they've stopped working won't stop them showing up in the Save/Load menu and confusing you.

Edited by Wayward Winds, 13 December 2017 - 09:47 PM.

#2731 Flandre

Flandre

Saury Hunter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  Defense Order

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:40 AM

Ah thanks for stating, Wayward. Although that is not the problem in my side though.

3qPyjQ8.png

#2732 AlexB

AlexB
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Projects:Ares, Arda, ...
  •  Your ad here!

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

The map's current state is saved in the savegames along with the unit stats and so on, and neither the map file nor the rules are used again during loading. That means you would still have the old layout after loading, old map scripting and so on. If global settings (sound, EVA, themes, ...) were updated, the old savegames would not pick them up and start behaving erratically, as described by Wayward Winds.

Actually it was also because of all the stuff Ares inserts into the game.

Yeah, that was the main reason. The game didn't know about the new settings and features Ares added. Also, some features were working in a way that wasn't possible to save and load, so they had to be reworked first. The "political reason" I mentioned in the explanatory thread are that savegames would become incompatible quickly whenever the Ares version changed. And who likes to lose all game progress every three months?

It's also worth emptying the save directory if they've been rendered non-functional by an update.  Just because they've stopped working won't stop them showing up in the Save/Load menu and confusing you.

I wouldn't count on that. Ares will automatically hide savegames created with an incompatible version of Ares (previous and future), as well as savegames created with a different version of the mod (or other mods or the vanilla game for that matter).

#2733 UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR

UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR

title available

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Could i suggest that the build radius for mines should be increased, so they can be placed further away from a building?

#2734 J00B

J00B
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Game mode suggestion: Tinderbox

Description: As your base grows, flammable materials e.g barrels, ammo dumps and other explosive objects are placed in and around your base. The bigger your base, the higher output of materials.

When it comes to disposal, Allies have a good advantage with their chrono-tech. Perhaps some units from other factions can have an ability to assist in safe disposal of explosive objects. Engineers, Crazy Ivans, Spies, Terror Drones, Magentrons, Clairvoyants etc.

Super-weapons are disabled.

-

Also another suggestion: Buildable hedgehogs for each faction. Provides a stronger, sturdier alternative to walls whilst allowing fire-through ability for attacker or defender. Obviously more expensive than walls. Good way of filtering enemy units from rushing choke points.

Edited by J00B, 19 December 2017 - 04:37 AM.

#2735 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

Game mode suggestion: Tinderbox

Description: As your base grows, flammable materials e.g barrels, ammo dumps and other explosive objects are placed in and around your base. The bigger your base, the higher output of materials.

When it comes to disposal, Allies have a good advantage with their chrono-tech. Perhaps some units from other factions can have an ability to assist in safe disposal of explosive objects. Engineers, Crazy Ivans, Spies, Terror Drones, Magentrons, Clairvoyants etc.

Super-weapons are disabled.

-

Also another suggestion: Buildable hedgehogs for each faction. Provides a stronger, sturdier alternative to walls whilst allowing fire-through ability for attacker or defender. Obviously more expensive than walls. Good way of filtering enemy units from rushing choke points.

The tinderbox mode is not a bad idea. Perhaps crate spawning logic could be abused somehow, to make it possible? If all else fails, map triggers should be able to do it, but coding them for each and every map separately would be a pain in the ass.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#2736 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

You only have access to diesel generators so you constantly have to place barrels in your base to keep the power flowing. :V

#2737 StolenTech

StolenTech

title available

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

could do with support powers I assume.

#2738 Flandre

Flandre

Saury Hunter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  Defense Order

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

>Buildable hedgehogs for each faction.

hmmmm... sounds useful.

3qPyjQ8.png

#2739 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hedgehogs in MO is.... surprisingly very dense

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#2740 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

The problem with hedgehogs is that they are FUGLY when they are placed densely (ie.: like a wall), that's why they are used only sparsely, as map props.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users