Photo

MO 3.3 // Feedback & Suggestions (Balance, New Features, Modifications etc.)

• Please log in to reply
5127 replies to this topic

#5021 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:53 AM

There is definitely a bit of de-animefication going on. It's still very much anime, but not the cartoony style, but more like the 3D Code Vein-like style.

#5022 Codename_Ramiel

Codename_Ramiel
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

Well to be fair, with how Soviet got defeated in RA1, it might make sense for some technology to be slightly set back

Also would explain why Conscripts are so utterly useless ingame :p

I would agree with you if Boris wasn't brandishing one  :smile2ap:

Conscripts are still not good in mid-late game but they are better early game. Its mad how fast they move now tho lol

Edited by Codename_Ramiel, 29 December 2020 - 12:48 PM.

#5023 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:43 PM

Well, in Red Alert 1, the Soviet riflemen were armed with AK rifles. Putting any sort of theory-crafting about a possible lore explanation aside, I think in RA2 they have PPsH submachine guns because Westwood wanted an art direction that has more WW2 elements in it. For example, the Tank Killer, which was a concept art unit and which recently got re-added to MO, is also a cartoonish version of the ISU-152, WW2 self-propelled assault gun. If you look at the concept arts of various vehicles, you will see rectangular, riveted armor, and generally speaking, some quite old-fashioned design elements that feel more like they belong to the 40's rather than the 80's. The more exotic weaponry in the game are sometimes also based on, or at least inspired by, experimental technology of WW2 and the early cold war. 

If we insist on a lore reason, I could think of two things, one would be that after the events of RA1, part of the peace deal and armament restrictions were a prohibition of making intermediate cartridges and assault rifles, making them rare in the Soviet arsenal, and the other one would be that in the interwar periods, the Soviets have completely embraced the concept of zerg rush. While the Soviet rifleman was on par with the Allied one in RA1, in 2 the Conscript is the worst basic infantry in terms of a one-on-one comparison with the others, so maybe the downgrade of quality regarding their training was also accompanied by a downgrade in weapon quality, and naturally, a massive increase in sheer quantity.

Edited by Divine, 29 December 2020 - 03:48 PM.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#5024 Codename_Ramiel

Codename_Ramiel
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:53 PM

Well, in Red Alert 1, the Soviet riflemen were armed with AK rifles. Putting any sort of theory-crafting about a possible lore explanation aside, I think in RA2 they have PPsH submachine guns because Westwood wanted an art direction that has more WW2 elements in it. For example, the Tank Killer, which was a concept art unit and which recently got re-added to MO, is also a cartoonish version of the ISU-152, WW2 self-propelled assault gun. If you look at the concept arts of various vehicles, you will see rectangular, riveted armor, and generally speaking, some quite old-fashioned design elements that feel more like they belong to the 40's rather than the 80's. The more exotic weaponry in the game are sometimes also based on, or at least inspired by, experimental technology of WW2 and the early cold war. 

If we insist on a lore reason, I could think of two things, one would be that after the events of RA1, part of the peace deal and armament restrictions were a prohibition of making intermediate cartridges and assault rifles, making them rare in the Soviet arsenal, and the other one would be that in the interwar periods, the Soviets have completely embraced the concept of zerg rush. While the Soviet rifleman was on par with the Allied one in RA1, in 2 the Conscript is the worst basic infantry in terms of a one-on-one comparison with the others, so maybe the downgrade of quality regarding their training was also accompanied by a downgrade in weapon quality, and naturally, a massive increase in sheer quantity.

True. Westwood also had Allied troops use the M16 rifles in the cinematics despite it being somewhat 1950ish? Talking about vehicles another is like the Apocalypse Tank is based off the IS-2 heavy tank with C&C Mammoth Tank weaponry. TBF though, I like the designs of the vehicles in this mod as they based some one RL vehicles and jets etc. Like the Tigr is basically a BTR. Although Westwood RA2 weapon design wasn't as ridiculous as RA3's I mean look at the Hammer Tank. 

In a lore reason it would make sense as a treaty to restrict AR and intermediate cartridges, although would be nice to see Soviet troops using an Communist weapon icon on masse  :thumbsupcool:

#5025 Codename_Ramiel

Codename_Ramiel
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 03:23 PM

Ok. I am just going to give back my feedback on Ver3.3.5 here (as it is meant to than discussing about whenever Conscripts should have AKs :p). While I love a lot of the new additions that the latest update has given us, there some things that I discovered during gameplay also some questions:

Soviet: 

- Shock Trooper: In the description it states that, 'It has thicker armor, a stronger miniaturized tesla coil, and a rate of fire twice as fast as that of the Tesla Trooper. In addition, his bolt is capable of hitting more than one target'. After testing it does more damage than against a Tesla Trooper, however that was due to ROF but the damage per shot is less than a Tesla Trooper. Is this meant to balance the unit?

- Desolator/Eradicator: Why was is this unit's movement speed slower than the rest of the Soviet infantry (Yes this was the case in the previous versions but why?)

- Tesla Cruiser: I don't know what it is about this vehicle but I find it underwhelming compared other T3 tanks, even to the Wolfhound. (The idea to combine these two is probably the advice I'm expecting). To me it's more a support vehicle for other units to get their job done.

- Tank Drop: Not sure what I think about this change up. On one hand the Tank Hunter is great but the Hydra Cannon is very eh

Allied:

- Siege Cadre: This guy hits really hard now. Just a small group brings down defence towers too easily.

Epsilon:

- Love the buffs to the Colossus!

I'm still playing around with other factions...

Hope this helps  :thumbsuphappy:

Edited by Codename_Ramiel, 31 December 2020 - 03:23 PM.

#5026 CrimsonRaider

CrimsonRaider
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:20 AM

I find the tesla cruiser underwhelming too.

Is it normal that the colossus doesn't have to be deployed to fire aerial targets? (Yes, it is. I skipped that part in the changelog)

@Speeder can we expect the enemy to use naval transport finally?

Edited by CrimsonRaider, 05 January 2021 - 07:22 AM.

#5027 temerarus

temerarus
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

It is possible to make available the Cooperative Missions with an AI (computer) partner?

I have read that before the v3.3.5 this was a feature. Would really like to play these missions and stories without the need of internet, specially in the country where I live, that has a null speed and stability.

Thanks to the Modders!

#5028 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 08 February 2021 - 03:37 AM

It's not possible to do the co-op that are basically not skirmish 2.0 with AI partners. The AI just stands there not doing anything, and you need both players to do the job for those kinds of missions.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#5029 Texnokrat

Texnokrat
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:02 AM

Hello. Is it possible to make an option in the game that disables all support powers? I like to play in tech share and infantry only modes, and I would like to disable the support that ai likes to spam so much

#5030 Opus Custom Tank

Opus Custom Tank
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  •  Hijacker

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:46 AM

It's possible but it's hard to balance I guess. Some support powers are vital like Repair Drone. Maybe they can make it buildable in that case. Idk.

footer.jpg

#5031 Texnokrat

Texnokrat
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:13 AM

When you can summon the flame tower in infantry only mode right in the middle of a crowd of enemy infantry, it's not too balanced either. Of course, if you disable everything completely, then some factions will be in a big minus, for example, foehn, if you disable nanofiber sync, they will lose half of their infantry, which is obtained only in this way. But you can only disable the support that affects the enemies, because there is an option to disable superweapons, you can add to it an additional option that disables superweapons and attacking support, calling for reinforcements, the ability to put defense in the middle of the enemy base, or cause direct damage to the enemy

#5032 mauro16b

mauro16b
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:21 PM

I really like Mental Omega, but at the same time I really hate that is possible to spawn everywhere on the battlefield turrets like flametowers or anything else. I think that is really necessary to introduce a deploy range, from the nearest base or construction.

#5033 need my speed

need my speed

For Soviet people!

• Hosted
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:39 PM

So far, having played about three to five missions of each side's campaign, I'm >finally< liking it. It's nicely doable (though sometimes a restart is still required; you've got to know about those first paradrops in 'Shipwrecked' in order to be able to defend against them - but that is fine enough, as it happens at the very beginning of the mission), you get your time to fully explore the map and investigate secrets, you're not constantly stressing to fend off attacks... Good job on developing this casual mode, thank you!

Please, if you see a mistake in my posts - spelling, grammar, punctuation, or whatever else - point it out. How can one learn from mistakes, if one is not corrected?
There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

#5034 BlackWinter

BlackWinter

Beta Tester

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  Returning Tester.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:35 PM

I really like Mental Omega, but at the same time I really hate that is possible to spawn everywhere on the battlefield turrets like flametowers or anything else. I think that is really necessary to introduce a deploy range, from the nearest base or construction.

+1

or make this an engineer based skill for remote defense construction.

#5035 BotRot

BotRot
  • Members
  • 228 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega English Wiki on Fandom (formerly Wikia)
  •  Mental Omega Wiki Administrator & Contributor

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:29 AM

Rhino Tank lore: "The Allied spies report the Rhinos have been spotted shielded by the Iron Curtain effect suspiciously often, but it is only speculation as to why."

Despite this though, AI in the campaign normally don't apply Invulnerability on their Rhinos; they'll usually put it on Demo Trucks, Borillos or Tesla Cruisers. 

hT8PHUN.gif

#5036 BotRot

BotRot
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:49 AM

In the Freedom Challenge, the Athena Cannons have a flat damage increase rather than a firepower buff. However, due to the Mercury Strike's firepower buff increase from 20% to 25%, the Athena Cannon's damage on this challenge (value of 200) is actually weaker than the Athena Cannon when buffed normally by Mercury Strike in other game modes. 

hT8PHUN.gif

#5037 Malekron

Malekron
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:24 PM

How about this PL-01 as a new unit for a possible new subfaction for the soviets. A light tank for mass production that cloaks with other similar tanks surrounding it..

#5038 BotRot

BotRot
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

The global announcements for Tanya ("Let's rock and roll!") and Boris ("Boris has arrived!") aren't used anymore in MO, but there is an opportunity to reuse these sound files.  

Their first playable appearances in the campaign (A02 and S01) are perfect to reintroduce these voice lines to spice their intros up, and it will be easily familiar to those coming from the original games.

hT8PHUN.gif

#5039 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,991 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, that's a good idea. Should've done it long ago.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#5040 need my speed

need my speed

For Soviet people!

• Hosted
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

Both could also simply be a voiceline for when selecting the unit. That's what I did, at least.

Please, if you see a mistake in my posts - spelling, grammar, punctuation, or whatever else - point it out. How can one learn from mistakes, if one is not corrected?
There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users