#61 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

I agree. The world has survived 3 billion years of catastrophes, both of its own making and of those delivered by our Solar System.

It has survived asteroids, supervolcanoes, and even collision with Mars to form the Moon.

It will certainly survive us. The sun will destroy the planet totally. But as for the end of human existence, if the supervolcano doesn't kill us, it will probably be an asteroid collision. I don't believe we'll be subject to nuclear war, and chances are we'll survive any global warming catastrophe. It will be a natural thing that wastes us all, even if it's just some uber-disease.

#62 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

and chances are we'll survive any global warming catastrophe. It will be a natural thing that wastes us all, even if it's just some uber-disease.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah we will survive global warming or even an ice age, thing is we would have to move south to the warmer areas also known as the 3rd world countries in some respect... Maybe then we will see if its whites who dominate the globe...

#63 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

Well put. I wouldn't be surprised if Africa and the Middle East gave us Westerners the finger and a big fuck-you. And what could we do about it?

Declare war and conquer.

Heh, maybe that nuclear war I said wouldn't happen is more likely than I thought... =/

#64 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

Thast what "The day after tommorrow" says. America only managed to get its survivng citizens into Mexico by forgiving third world debts. Another one of our consequences could hit us in the face at a point we don't need it to happen.

#65 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

heh, if Africa declares war on the western world, heh its their problem, i would like to see them beign able to get somewhere at all... not very hi-tech or military those guys, besides, they would more likely wage war on themselves until the end of time rather than cooperating...

if asia and the middle east goes off though, thats a problem. china is growing like hell, and theyre most likely not going to stand down if a conflict rises... the middle east is important because of the oil, since most of the oil remaining is down there...(we got some left in norway still though, but apparently there are alot of economic spying these days, so i guess most countries interested already knows that :p)

Edited by duke_Qa, 04 April 2005 - 07:37 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#66 theliberator

theliberator

Octoberfest :) Oans, zwoa, gsuffa

• Project Team
  • 533 posts
  • Projects:Rise of the Reds

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:36 AM

You don't need to be a spy to know that Norway has oil.

Also I doubt that there'll be any military conflict between the western world and China, because they both have Nuclear weapons, so there lies no sense in that.
They could of course use the conflicts of other nations to transport their own, like USA/SowjetUnion have done in the cold war (Vietnam, Afghanisthan...).

#67 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:00 PM

Don't forget that China would be affected too, along with most of that end of the world. I don't mean to be offensive, but that area of the world has had enough problems lately with water invading land...just think what happens if the water level rises?

And if ice ages occur, China won't be immune. They would want somewhere for their billion people to go. They'd prolly invade India and wipe out the populace...

#68 user_unknown

user_unknown

Federation Supreme Commander

• Hosted
  • 404 posts
  • Projects:Event Horizon

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hmm... saw the title and thought you were talking about the latest Dr Who episode.

Unfortunately, you weren't :(

#69 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:27 PM

We know there will be problems with china in the future, but it depends what type of problems, will those problems turn into conflicts. I don't think any human is stupid enough to launch a nuke and if they are, well we all lived lol.

#70 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:37 PM

And if ice ages occur, China won't be immune. They would want somewhere for their billion people to go. They'd prolly invade India and wipe out the populace...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they'd go somewhere much easier. India has a billion people as well. Wiping them out would be a pain. Plus, they aren't much better off for height above sea level. I'd go for Siberia, as it's huge, empty, and probably somehow habitable. Otherwise, Australia anyone?
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#71 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  • Projects:Making a master plan to destroy the consumerist society.
  •  Revora's Local Forum Whore

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

Lol. just like the flash movie said, Australia will survive it all! :p

but really, Siberia aint habitable, its dead ice-cold rock.

Lurking moar since 2004 2003!

#72 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:41 AM

Do you know what the atmosphere of Venus consists of?
Primarily Carbon Dioxide and a bit of Nitrogen, with a few other chemicals chucked in...

What does our planets atmosphere consist of?
Primarily Carbon Dioxide, Oxygen and Nitrogen...

not too dissimilar, and Venus has a simmilar size to our world.

Yet Venus' atmosphere is approximately 90 times more dense than ours, and the surface temperature goes up to about 450 Degrees C, that's hot enough to melt Lead.

Ok, there is quite a lot of difference in atmosphere composition, and sheer quantity of gas... but it's not too unlikley that our world could end up like this.

As regards to space craft travel, the exhaust is a stream of particles (water) at a very high temperature, moving at a very high speed. In the atmosphere these particles collide with the particles in our atmosphere. The atmosphere and exhaust gases react to the compression, much like a bike tyre pump, you can only compress the air so much before the piston is forced back from the air pressure, that's when you can't put in enough force to compress the air. Now imahgine this, but multiplied by a big number and thats how steam lifts a rocket into space.

In space a combination of momentum of the rocket and gravity helps move it. However, the main thrust is of course the engine. It works by applying a force i.e. it forces the gas out at very high temperatures and very high speed. This is a force, the reaction to this force is acting on the rocket, and it pushes the rocket away from it. However there isn't any friction in space, so you can move by momentum alone... hence why satelites dont need a rocket engine to stay in orbit.

the proton drive will work on exactly the same principle, except it will use extremely high velocity protons... now, the steam from the rocket engine is moving at say a few hundred mph...

the protons would probably be accelerated close to light speed (note that light is about 670 MILLION mph)

mass multiplied by velocity gives momentum... lets say that an oxygen particle is equal to 10 protons (10 protons in H2o)... its momentum will be 7000 times its mass (which is VERY tiny)

lets say we have 1 proton travelling at 600 000 000mph... thats 7000 to 600 000 000... despite the difference in masses and what-not there will still be an ENORMOUS difference in thrust capabilities... basically A proton drive could accelerate a shit (that's quite funny typo... so I'll leave it in lol :p I meant ship of course ) to some pretty crazy speeds :p

- Physics boy out

oh, anonymous, shut the feth up with your philosophy crap, I dislike people like you with your false intelligence, go read a book on science or maths, that is real knowledge that will benefit humanity, an arrogant tit like you throwing out long words unnecessarily gets humanity nowhere.

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 07 April 2005 - 12:54 AM.

Posted Image

#73 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:38 AM

Primarily Carbon dioxide sounds a bit over reacted, knowing earths athmosphere only consists of 0,04% Carbon Dioxide.
The biggest forum of gas in our at with 78% of Nitrogen, then Oxygen with a 21%, rest of percentage of noble gases like Argon, Xenon, Helium, and ehm another one >_<
Anyways if all the Nitrogen would somehow be made to freeze stuff... my my then the world will be one hell of an ice cube.
Perhaps that caused the ice age a long time ago? O_o

could you give me more exact numbers on Venus?

#74 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

Venus is about 90% co2....

however, it was all created by what is called a runaway greenhouse effect... If our atmosphere did heat up enough to kill life due to the greenhouse effect the oxygen/nitrogen composition would rapidly become mostly co2, as in venus.

It's life that maintains our unstable atmosphere, destroy it and we destroy our world :p
Posted Image

#75 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

Okay... so that indicates it could've once been remotely like our planet...
perhaps a planet which had suffered the future that awaits us... o_O

Venus is nearly exactly the same as earth is, except that it misses life.

#76 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:04 PM

Somebody forgot to mention the sulphuric acid rain that Venus has ;) And the sulphur dioxide in the general atmosphere from its many volcanoes...somehow I don't think we can compare the two planets.

@MM: Siberia? o_0 Siberia's cold enough as it is. If there's an ice age, it'll become another Antarctica... Australia is our best bet. If all this shit hits the fan you might meet me there (I plan to go there in a few years to live)

Africa, Central America and the Middle East will be the main bones of contention. Europe, Northern Russia, North America and the southern end of South America will freeze over, becoming either arctic tundra/total arctic. People will move towards equatorial/pacific areas, which will become majorly overpopulated, resulting in starvation and famine for many, and wars over cans of dogfood and the last of the bread for the rest.

I feel a future novel coming on... ;)

#77 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:20 PM

Nah we should move to venus, no chance of global warming there, we can pollute all we like ROFL ;)

#78 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:12 PM

How would people decompose Carbon Dioxide?
If at all possible using science....

Well perhaps if somehow Venus would be habitable for plants.. perhaps the carbon dioxide could be well, reduced... since plants ;) CO2 and make lovely O2 of it.

assuming theres water on Venus... ;)

Edited by Hooligan, 08 April 2005 - 02:15 PM.

#79 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:25 PM

um... did you not read the bit about it being an average of 450 degrees C on the surface... anything would be incinerated on that planets surface :grin:
Posted Image

#80 Komataguri

Komataguri

¯\(º_o)/¯

• Banned
  • 974 posts
  • Projects:Tiberium Productions
  •  Reverend K-Rist, Sheppard of the mindless masses and tender to the flock of idiocy.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:40 PM

How would people decompose Carbon Dioxide?
If at all possible using science....

Well perhaps if somehow Venus would be habitable for plants.. perhaps the carbon dioxide could be well, reduced... since plants :p CO2 and make lovely O2 of it.

assuming theres water on Venus...  :grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there water on Venus?

If so, we could seed the oceans with a specific kind of algae[ the name escapes me ] then throw literally tons of iron ore into the water.

The algae like the iron oxide, causing them to grow at an exponential rate, And this algae also LOVEs Co2. It would literally GOBBLE the Co2 out of the air, then slowly drag it down to the depths of the oceans as solid wastes.

Cleaning the Co2 out of the air.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users