Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:47 AM

Yeah well I was talking about your first post in this topic... nevermind.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#62 witchking

witchking

The Witch-King of Angmar, the leader of the Nazgûl (Ringwraiths)

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Projects:how am i supposed to know? im only a beginner
  •  don't count me out of modding ever. i may be new and yes sometime i may be annoying but if you think i cannot mod then... then you'r dead wrong!

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

lol sorry for posting here but.

ok i understand all the rules. but theres one thing i don't get
how do you get people to play a basic mod that u made?
i made one but i got to post it so people will know whats my skill level is but i don't know how to post it.

#63 Eldarion25

Eldarion25

American and Proud

• Hosted
  • 586 posts
  • Projects:Universe At War: Expanded Edition (skinner and Mod Leader)
  •  Mod Leader for Universe At War: Expanded Edition, member of Istari Productions, and Moderator of Petroglyph section of Geeky Gamers

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

English, please?

made one but i got to post it so people will know whats my skill level is but i don't know how to post it.

Do you mean screenshots? Or code? Be clearer, and don't post here if it's not about the rules: Q's go in their own topics.
Mod Leader for the Universe at War: Expanded Edition mod, member of Istari Productions, and Moderator of the Petroglyph section of Geeky Gamers

Posted Image
^Thanks to Ark for this great sig
Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 King Arvedui

King Arvedui

The Last King of Arnor

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Projects:Return of the Eldar
  •  Return of the Eldar back-up coder, newbie modeller

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

i think he means like making his mod downloadable.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 witchking

witchking

The Witch-King of Angmar, the leader of the Nazgûl (Ringwraiths)

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Projects:how am i supposed to know? im only a beginner
  •  don't count me out of modding ever. i may be new and yes sometime i may be annoying but if you think i cannot mod then... then you'r dead wrong!

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

it is about the rules

by me trying to make big mod is that what makes me a n00b?

and the other question yes how do you make it downloadable.

but i'll post that somewhere els here i wanna know when i started makeing a big mod was that n00bish and against the rules?

Edited by witchking, 09 August 2007 - 06:38 PM.

#66 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

but i'll post that somewhere els here i wanna know when i started makeing a big mod was that n00bish and against the rules?

not against the rules, definitely n00bish

if you have a downloadable mod (that's worth downloading) put it up on the site
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#67 King Arvedui

King Arvedui

The Last King of Arnor

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Projects:Return of the Eldar
  •  Return of the Eldar back-up coder, newbie modeller

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

not against the rules, definitely n00bish

if you have a downloadable mod (that's worth downloading) put it up on the site

thats what he wants to do but he doesn't know how
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

Is there any way forum-wise to make people read this good stuff?
Something like this:

When you post without a validated account (or maybe even then), an intermediate page opens up with a 'read me' content kind of like this and a checkbox underneath to signify 'yes, i read and understood this'.

It must be checked before you are able to post. If you have an account, this check would be stored much like any account setting is stored. So, if you have read it and have an account, this 'inbetween' page would not appear again.

I realize that the account is for the whole of Revora, not just The3rdAge, but maybe a generalized version of this content could be used for the whole of Revora. I am sure that The3rdAge is not the only place to suffer from fools. ;)

Sûl.

So what do you guys think about this? Is that too harsh? Too hard to implement? A stupid idea? Or does it just go against T3A principles? ;)

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#69 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

I think that its good idea but still, people could just click the checkbox and ok and just go on without reading it so it propably wouldnt work.

#70 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:57 AM

It would at least make one thing clear: There are rules.
And they wouldn't be hard to find anymore (hard for someone not used to go looking for them).

Ignoring them wouldn't make them be able to ignore the consequences. And to keep it from becoming annoying everytime this thing pops up, you'd need to register.

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#71 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

It's a nice idea. Trouble is implenting it, both in setting good limits and making the code happen. Codewise I honestly don't even know whether it is possible or not, but I suspect it wouldn't be easy.

We are certainly looking into the subject of rules tho.

Heh... Here we are, calling them rules, but what they really are is good advice from people who've been there already. It's a sad thing really.

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#72 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

It's a nice idea. Trouble is implenting it, both in setting good limits and making the code happen. Codewise I honestly don't even know whether it is possible or not, but I suspect it wouldn't be easy.

We are certainly looking into the subject of rules tho.

Great. I believe it could be helpful.

Heh... Here we are, calling them rules, but what they really are is good advice from people who've been there already. It's a sad thing really.

Solinx

Isn't that the way of all rules, all laws?
'Hell', even the 'dress code' in a restaurant's kitchen has both good reasons (health) and (legal) consequences if not followed. :)

Maybe we should just call it 'common practice', instead of rules. Sounds more flexible.
Enforcing consequences would also be 'common practice', hehe. :mellow:

Man, what i wrote is sounding all so strict. Forgive me. I guess i just feel the foundations of creative conflict being corroded. ;)

#73 halbarad

halbarad

lone wanderer

• Project Team
  • 466 posts
  • Projects:RA, tinkering...
  •  random guy

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

he, i dont think it sounds too strict, may just be more hassle than its worth since nobody really ever reads terms and conditions like things do they? i dont think there is an easy way to sort this problem,

tbh i think its the minority spoiling it for the majority so maybe it would be best handling it on a person-by-person basis?
Now for Wrath, Now for Ruin, and for a Red Dawn...

#74 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

implementing this in the forum would be near impossible. it's possible to do for the site though, disallowing any member who hasn't read the rules (which we would post up there) to do anything on it

a good system to make sure they read it would be to put 5 checkboxes at the bottom. these need to be checked correctly (e.g. 1 3 and 4 are checked, 2 and 5 not). instructions on how to check them would be put in sentences at points in the text.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#75 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

Topic updated with the following information:

If you do wish to make a public start with your own project, there are two paths we can advice you which will offer you a good opportunity to prepare the mod for a free hosting application here at T3A.
(Being hosted here has several advantages, such as getting your own subforums, the opportunity to get your news regularly posted on the T3A frontpage, and, not the least important, free and unlimited storage space and bandwidth to set up your own site and host your mod files.)

The first path starts at the Drawing Board. This is the place at T3A to advertise your mod during the concept and early development phase. The prerequest for starting a topic in the Drawing Board is that you either have the intention of working on the mod yourself, or already have a team to do so. Pure idea topics, ie. suggesting a new mod without intention of working on it, will be closed or combined with the Mod idea collection topic. Once a mod becomes developed enough it can be moved to the main Jobs, ideas and request forum, giving it more prominence as an indication of the status of the mod.
Next step is applying for hosting. Of course, you can also work through the early development stages without posting in any of the above locations. However, we do require of any project applying for hosting to show us material to prove the development has passed at least the concept and early development phase, so we know there is a good chance the project won't be abandoned after the first week.

If you rather wish to have your own subforums to work with right from the start, we suggest you head over to StealthSnake's community. This is the second path we advice. StealthSnake is the mod leader of the well known Battles of Gondor mod. Last time he gathered quite a following and now he has returned there is little doubt he will do so again. Why is this interesting for you? Because he offers starting projects a subforum of their own at his community forums. Head over to read more and get into contact with StealthSnake.

Of course, you can also combine the two paths, posting a topic at the Drawing Board and requesting subforums at StealthSnake's community. :p

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#76 Carbonox Infernox

Carbonox Infernox
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

how do i mod bfme 2?

#77 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Follow the tutorials on the website, The3rdAge.net

#78 Sgt. Angel

Sgt. Angel
  • Project Team
  • 106 posts
  • Projects:The Battle of Five Armies beta4.7, RJ-RotWK and the Narnia mod for BFME 1
  •  The mapper behind the Battle of Five Armies beta4.7 =D

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for putting up all the rules :xd: I'd obey them all anyway lol but they're good if you want to stop annoying n00bs from having an excuse to do whatever they want on here :xd:

btw, I agree on the whole having to read this before signing up thing, I did and it's not that hard. :xcahik_:

oh and as I'm sure you've all guessed I'm new here so hello everyone!

I want to mod BFME II myself so I'll try to be a newb and not a n00b so as not to annoy others and to earn myself the respect of this site's modders... I'm perfectly prepared to do everything myself modding wise as it is anyway, I just wanted to sign up to t3a so that I could come to a place where I could talk to other modders about modding the game and see some of their own work! :unsure: all very good work I might add... :)

I suppose also this site helps me learn how to do stuff to the game that I don't know how to do yet so... yeah. :)

Here come the Fuzz!
Your signature has been removed because it was far too big and you failed to act upon the request to resize it - DLotS

#79 Wolf

Wolf
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • Projects:Ages of Middle Earth
  •  Game & Program Coder, Website Designer

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

I started as a n00b, heck all i knew was how to change the game settings from low to high :dry:, now i am making a mod which is taking most of my time, it's hard but i feel rewarded to be able to make it. I'm new here so if i break something, don't ban me just warn me cause i usually end up listening to you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#80 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

We don't ban or warn unless you are breaking the Revora Rules (Basically no spamming or attacking other members), being new to modding is something we are totally cool with :p
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users