- Laser towers attack both ground and air units, providing better defence at less cost.
- Robotics Fac is wonderful: reduces cost of advanced units, provides double infantry (and at reduced cost!). And its Grinder function enables me to recycle Robot Tanks, and Robotics Fac + Hack Tower often = licence to print money. Nexus loves tank rushers!
- Most units hover, so can cross and fight on water easily - big cost saving (no shipyard or navy on water maps), and opponent must always fear a massed tank + artillery attack.
- Advanced Tank fills a gap that other sides have between basic tanks and supertanks (Devastator, Decimator).
- Raven Transport is a true aircraft (goes over top of cliffs), and allows transported infantry to fire at ground targets (and air if carrying Eradicators).
- Orbital Laser superweapon does not give victims time to use whatever shields they have.
- All defences need power. But one power plant supports 5 or 6 LTs, and 1 LT does the work of both Pillbox / Rad Cannon and AA Flak Gun / Photon Cannon. Biggest threat is spy entering power station.
- Units not promoted. But if you're winning it's no problem, and if you're losing your units die too fast to benefit from promotion.
- Lack of specialist units. OK, Bomb Jeeps and Demo Trucks can be very dangerous, and Illusion Tanks and Chrono Tanks can be a pain. You have to take out Bomb Jeeps and Demo Trucks at a safe distance from your base, preferably using air units. But those wonderful two-for the-price-of-one Laser Towers deal quite well with Illusion Tanks and Chrono Tanks. And on water maps Nexus does have specialist units - hovercraft!
- Basic Robot Tank is unimpressive - less firepower than Alliance's Marauder, slower than Freedom's Scorpion.
- I'm still not convinced that Drone Miners are as good as the other races' miners. Their small capacity means they spend a larger percentage of time travelling and unloading. For comparison look at most forums and guides for basic RA2 - all prefer the Soviet War Miner to the Allied Chrono Miner, because the CM's instant return is not enough to compensate for its lower capacity.
- Large formations of Zephyr Drones occasionally suffer from cascading kills which can wipe out a squadron - apparently flying debris from one kill destroys another drone, etc. Don't know whether this ever happens to Alliances' or Freedom's helicopters - 6 is the most I've seen in 1 group.
- Howitzer is IMO the weakest of the "grand cannons". I very rarely use them.
Edited by philcha, 13 May 2007 - 12:05 PM.