Photo

Elven siege analysis

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your opinions on Elven siege?

How hard do you find Elven siege is against FoL?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would an Elven "siege hero" be feasible?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Rate the current Elven siege in terms of balance (1 being the lowest, 5 being the best)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Thorontur

Thorontur

I'm Pr0, who are j00?

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

I think Elrond and Glorfindel can attack walls, but dont quote me on that.

No lol.

I think an Elven ballista is a great idea but it'd take some extensive research to ccome up with a siege machine that looks somewhat Elven.

#22 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

Even adding a ballista would completely change Elven siege. I have several ideas how to improve it:

1. Give Elves one Eagle, as a hero, cost 2000.
2. Give Elves a power called "Crushing roots", 6 PP, second tier. deals huge siege damage to buildings on the small area, maybe like 2 walls sections
3. Rams and ladders are quite good idea. Usefull only while attacking fortress, won't make Elves overpowered (can you imagine Elves with ballistas, but not while sieging? Just like Isengard, but with much better units). But rams should be more medieval, cost more than those Mordor's and Isengard's, be slow and have high defence, and have wooden covers, for example.
4. New unit - Elven Saboteur (Elven Guearilla sounds strange :p ). Just like Sentinels, extremely stealth unit, unable to attack, but able to open the gate.But I'm afraid it's impossible to code :(

#23 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:02 PM

I think an Elven ballista is a great idea but it'd take some extensive research to ccome up with a siege machine that looks somewhat Elven.

No dammit. How many times do I have to tell you people that I'm not adding in elven siege weapons this time around. Figure out new strategies, I've already given you some. You want to go for the walls? Use Ents, just like Rohan would. Use Galadriel's Visions ability to siege a fortress with summons while not having to move your own army a hair. Try Thranduil's Wounding Strike on a building. Use Celeborn's and Legolas's summons to boost your firepower.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Thorontur

Thorontur

I'm Pr0, who are j00?

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:12 PM

No dammit. How many times do I have to tell you people that I'm not adding in elven siege weapons this time around. Figure out new strategies, I've already given you some. You want to go for the walls? Use Ents, just like Rohan would. Use Galadriel's Visions ability to siege a fortress with summons while not having to move your own army a hair. Try Thranduil's Wounding Strike on a building. Use Celeborn's and Legolas's summons to boost your firepower.

Alright alright. :p

I really like swan's Crushing Roots idea. :p But Elven siege weapons would just be too gay in that they don't look Elvish at all and that's not the style that Cel wants.

#25 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

In TLT ballistas would be acceptable (for Eriador). Swan's Crushing Roots idea is really good, could be something for Rhovanion and the current mod. But rams and ladders: :p. The Elven Sabotuer sounds interesting, but as you said extremely hard (if not impossible) to code. But the best way to siege with the Elves is to wait it out a bit, wait until you've got a few powers, a few good heroes, then you can go for a solid attack that will be difficult to counter.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#26 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

And during that time of waiting your opponent is staying still, getting no upgrades/units/heroes/defences I assume?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#27 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:45 AM

And that is NO different from having to wait for 5000+ resources to come up so you can get Ents with Rohan. NO FREAKING DIFFERENT. Quit whining, and accept that you'll have to play a little differently than normal. They're getting upgrades? Pfft, don't forget that YOU also are getting upgrades, and since the Elves siege methods are not soley made for siege, you'll be able to do much more than just sit and wait until you're ready to take a castle. Galadriel, for example, is certainly more useful in a variety of situations (massive heal, full map view, CRAZY ATTACKS OF DEATH) than 4 summoned Ents or a pile of balista or trebuchets. Honestly...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Thorontur

Thorontur

I'm Pr0, who are j00?

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:20 AM

And that is NO different from having to wait for 5000+ resources to come up so you can get Ents with Rohan. NO FREAKING DIFFERENT. Quit whining, and accept that you'll have to play a little differently than normal. They're getting upgrades? Pfft, don't forget that YOU also are getting upgrades, and since the Elves siege methods are not soley made for siege, you'll be able to do much more than just sit and wait until you're ready to take a castle. Galadriel, for example, is certainly more useful in a variety of situations (massive heal, full map view, CRAZY ATTACKS OF DEATH) than 4 summoned Ents or a pile of balista or trebuchets. Honestly...

Oi don't yell so loud it hurts my ears. :(

#29 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:09 AM

Well, of course your opponent's active, you just have to hold off his attacks, launch a few skirmishes, make your enemy think that you're not doing anything, until you are finally prepared to assault his base, OR you can lure his army away from his base, and then summon the Ents/Eagles. You could even send Legolas and Celeborn in and use their summons to defeat the enemy. You just have to spend your resources wisely, acquire what is needed at the time while saving up for what is needed in the future.

Edited by Olorin, 28 December 2006 - 05:11 AM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#30 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:19 PM

Ent Summon ---> pulling the walls down ---> VICTORY

I know: easy to say, harder to do, but after breaking wall enemy has no chance to stop Elven army. And to start siege you have to take the map over, so I guess that problem's with money shouldn't appear.

But I still think that giving Elves one Eagle as a hero would be nice.

Edited by swan, 28 December 2006 - 07:20 PM.

#31 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

Nah, the Elves have a lot of heroes as it is now, giving them the Eagle would just topple the whole thing. But maybe make the Eagles/Ents summon 1 point cheaper.

Edited by Olorin, 29 December 2006 - 01:51 AM.

Posted Image

#32 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:56 AM

IT IS FINE! NO NEED TO CHANGE!! If you are having trouble attack everything but their castle, and, unless they are camping, you should have enough pp. If they are camping, take map control and get galadriel and upgrades.

There, easy guide to Elven seiging :p

CRAZY ATTACKS OF DEATH!!!!! :)

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#33 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:33 AM

I said maybe make the summons 1 point cheaper. But you're right with that as well.
Posted Image

#34 Thorontur

Thorontur

I'm Pr0, who are j00?

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:14 AM

IT IS FINE! NO NEED TO CHANGE!! If you are having trouble attack everything but their castle, and, unless they are camping, you should have enough pp. If they are camping, take map control and get galadriel and upgrades.

There, easy guide to Elven seiging :blush:

CRAZY ATTACKS OF DEATH!!!!! :ohmy:

No need to caps argue. It will take ppl a LONG time to get used to sieging w/ the Elves, and they will complain at first. Just give it time...

#35 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:34 AM

if you are having troubles seigeing with the elves, my advice to you is: DONT PLAY THE ELVES. it works fine the way it is. in fact, its better than some other armies seige. you summon your ents and have them attack gate/towers/walls. have summon eagles attack trebuches and buildings. have mist in the center of their army killing almost all of them, upgraded or not. then you send your amry in and they clean out everything else.
Posted Image

#36 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:25 AM

Fast, simple, and effective.
Posted Image

#37 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:24 AM

Why do you need to get used to it? Rohan's is basicly summoning ents.
Besides, summoning people is easier then building, you just left click then right click :blush:

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#38 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:32 PM

My concept behind the Elves siege lies in the idea that they only held around 4 sieges in history that we know of: Noldorin siege of Angband, Vanyar destruction of Angband, Last Alliance siege of Barad-Dur, Celeborn and Galadriel's destruction of Dol Guldur. Out of thousands of years, they only held these four sieges, and the first wasn't even successful so wasn't taken into my thoughts. Two of them (final destruction of Angband and the destruction of Dol Guldur) absolutely wiped out the enemy with minimal losses. So, combining these two key elements from the lore I came up with the basis for the Elves siege: slow to get started, but when it starts it's almost unstoppable.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

i've tried some other mods too. and i saw one mod which had ladders and rams.
and they made it look quite elven.

Celeglin, you said that in thousand years they only had 4 sieges. but i must say that ingame i do things which wouldn't happen in the real book.

for example. i attack rhun with a very small army of gondorians.

that wouldn't happen in the book. Although if i remember it correct they did after Aragorn became king....
but i have to check that.

Edited by Taralom, 29 January 2007 - 06:43 PM.

If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#40 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

you don't prove anything with that comment :p They did attack Rhun after the fall of Sauron :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users