Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

And please don't take anymore name sugestions. Thouse names are great / less corney, and I'm positive any more sugestions will be just plain stupid. But Akhorakil... just doen't sound right if you pronounce it clearly. Try sayin' it backwords (kil a hor).

#82 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Well, I guess I agree, so I changed that one, but it's the least corny of the old names, which all sound like they were purloined from Dungeons & Dragons or World of Warcraft. I think the names I chose are rather more fitting, and sound rather more Tolkein than the others. It seems we'll have to wait for Rob to decide.

And I also repeat what I said earlier; they'd look totally awesome with someone edited the thumbnails, blurring the edges, adding more shadows and darkening the eyes. They'd look much more spectral.

If the Witch-King also started on horseback, you could technically have all nine riders. But then again, it wouldn't make sense for him to have his mask and mace when he dismounted. So, maybe adapt one of the Nazgul models very slightly to distinguish it from the rest (for instance, maybe make him taller like that newbie guy said about a thousand times in the wrong topics), give it a speedier sword attack than the others and splash damage, and this can be the Witch-King until he dies and is resurrected with his mask, mace and Fellbeast. This also fits with the ordinary Nazgul system, and means you can lower the price a little for the Witch-King. This is just another idea, though.

#83 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

A good point with the mask. He only seemed to have it on just to show-off in Minas Turith. I guess he went up a few levels after he stabbed Frodo and got the fell beast ability.

#84 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:11 AM

I wouldn't want to have to kill a hero in order to have them reach their full potential, if that is what you're suggesting, Hasfusel.

If anything, I think that at level 6 (if it's codeable) the WK should get powers that would enable him to get his mask/armour, flail (it's not a mace you guys, just a heavy flail, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong :shiftee:)), and the ability to mount the fell-beast. But that's all I think that is needed of him.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#85 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

Yea, that's posible, and a logical solution. Either that, or like Gandy in the last game where you had to buy his "White" power from the spell book.

#86 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

<off topic>
iirc flails are a type of mace so its kinda both scryer :)
</off topic>

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#87 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:35 AM

*continues with Offtopicness but really should continue this over PM instead of giving life to an already-dead thread*

I know, I just love to be specific about it :) .

Edited by Scryer, 05 December 2008 - 03:55 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#88 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Well, let's say he recieves the mace (I'd say it's a mace; flails tend to be smaller, and are normally spheres with spikes, a little like a morningstar), mask and fellbeast when he reaches Lvl. 5, then. Otherwise, he can have the same die-then-comes-back-with-fellbeast system as the other Nazgul.
Are we more or less decided on the new names? It's just that the old ones were too... lame. They sound less High Fantasy and more Sword & Sorcery, like Conan the Barbarian. No offense to Conan fans, but it's a completely different (and lesser) style. Nothing like Tolkein would use at all.

Edited by Hasfusel, 05 December 2008 - 11:27 AM.

#89 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

It's a MASSIVE death-flail. ;)
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#90 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

I watched that part again, and it's really a kind of large morningstar, with a design similar to a mace. But whatever.

#91 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

A Morning star is a type of flail.
It is like degrees of specificness.
Personal>Melee>Hafted Weapons>Bludgeons>Maces>Flails>Morning Star
Similarly
Personal>Melee>Hafted Weapons>Edged Weapons>Axes>Two Handed Axes>Beheading Ax.
Or say
Team Weapons>Vehicles>Powered>Long Range>Artillery>Siege>Howitzer
All weapons can be catagorized like this. Some will fit in to more than one classification. It is like biology.

#92 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

Is it just more, or is that off topic?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#93 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:48 AM

Huh?

#94 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

A Morning star is a type of flail.
It is like degrees of specificness.
Personal>Melee>Hafted Weapons>Bludgeons>Maces>Flails>Morning Star
Similarly
Personal>Melee>Hafted Weapons>Edged Weapons>Axes>Two Handed Axes>Beheading Ax.
Or say
Team Weapons>Vehicles>Powered>Long Range>Artillery>Siege>Howitzer
All weapons can be catagorized like this. Some will fit in to more than one classification. It is like biology.

Yes, that's right. And the Witch King appears to wield a large Morningstar.

#95 Jedi Master Chief

Jedi Master Chief
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:00 AM

and yet all the nazguls should be extremely vulnerable to Hobbits because of their swords or somthing likethat

#96 Darth Stalin

Darth Stalin
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:30 PM

2. How can I buy Fellbeasts for Mordor’s Nazguls?
After I’ve recruied them they could mount/dismount, but they had no option to train Fellbeast. Also the Witchking had no option to mount Fellbeast, as robnkarla had announced at the beginning of the mod (a post about Nazguls from 2007). During the RTS battle I’ve purchased required technology in Mordor Fortress (well, I’ve purchased all the upgrades), however, there was nothing to click on to start training Fellbeast.
Thus – is it required to move the Nazgul into the Fortress? Or maybe that option is still unavailable?

Well, the problem was that I could NOT revive the Nazgul after he died in battle - that was, in a battle fought as an RTS-combat solution during campaign.
That was pretty weird, as I could revive Gothmog...

#97 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:02 AM

A: A Morning Star IS a MACE. Not a flail. Which is a stick with a rope or chain with a Mace head attached to the other side of the chain or rope.
B: The Witch King has a FLAIL.
And C: You don't train the Fellbeast. If I recall, you either buy them individually for some Nazgul, or get them dead so they can mount them on a Fell Beast. But I may be wrong.
Edit: And finally D: War of the Ring Campaign in War Of the Ring mode doesn't alltogether bug proof.

Edited by Ring of Fate, 09 June 2009 - 01:07 AM.

A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#98 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

The reviving heroes system is occasionally bugged due to way too many new heroes, and sometimes you can't revive one till you've bought/revived the one in front of it, because they share the same button.

I believe you have to let the Nazgul die, and then when it comes back, you can buy it a Fellbeast if you've purchased it in the fortress. It's a neat system, but the problem is that you could let any Lvl.1 Nazgul die easily and then recruit a fellbeast in the early part of the game. I'd say make Fellbeasts only available to Lvl.5 Nazguls who've died... or, if you have a Nazgul above Lvl.5, you can take him to the fortress (at the cost of the Fellbeasts applying price) once fellbeasts are purchased. He then stays there garrisoned for awhile, or becomes unselectable and sticks around the fortress, and then two or three minutes later he becomes selectable again, with the addition of a fellbeast instead of a horse. Saves having to kill said Nazgul first.

My summary of Nazgul ideas:

- New, revised names and/or descriptions for all Nazgul. I made suggestions which recieved generally good feedback.
- Slight increase of power to Lvl.10 abilities. At the moment, they aren't so effective. Boring Lvl.10 summons changed to something more interesting.
- The Nazgul gain splash damage to their melée attacks at Lvl.5
- Witch King gains mace (as a secondary attack) and mask at Lvl.5, sword attack does double damage so that you don't just stick with the mace all the time, (a good tactic of dealing with heroes after lvl.5 is to cripple with the mace, then attack with the sword, then hit with the mace again just before the cripple effect wears off, rinse and repeat as many times as necessary...)
- Nazguls (and Witch King) only can ride Fellbeasts at Lvl.5, after first death or three minute stay in fortress, which appears to be the system. Witch-King rides a horse like all the others before gaining a fellbeast like the others. On horseback, he can only use his sword no matter his level due to model restrictions. Witch-King is undistinguishable from other Nazgul before lvl.5, and while on horseback unless you can find a way to add the mask to his horseback model.
- The Nazgul are highly vulnerable to Eowyn's Smite attack, and the Backstab-type attack I suggested for Merry in the Hobbits section, and are a little more vulnerable to Sam, Merry and Pippin's ordinary attacks and all Arnor hero attacks except those of Círdan (basically, all the ones with specifically-forged Westernesse anti-nazgul blades). This makes the Rohan and Arnor hero groups doubly good for dealing with Nazgul.

#99 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

Nazguls take a long time to revive, and added to the 2000 upgrade, early fellbeasts aren't a danger.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#100 Martini

Martini
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  •  The annoyingly pendantic gamer

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Hello guys (and gals)
I was wondering why does Mordor have 7 Nazguls and MotE only 2? The MotE encompasses the Easterlings, Haradrim, Corsairs and Variags of Khand. Now Khamul is the Easterling and Ji Indur is the Haradrim. Now they are both in the MotE faction. Dwar of Waw is a king of Umbar, yet he is in the Mordor faction and Uvatha the Horseman is a king of Khand ( probably one of the stronger Khandish kingdoms ) and he is also incorporated into the Mordor faction. Now I might be terribly mistaken and completely mislead, but I was under the impression that this mod tried to make the original game more 'historicaly' accurate. Well you did very well with Rohan and Gondor, actually scratch that, you did a wonderful job with the mod, because it's very accurate. It's just some people tend to be pendantic and little details can mean the difference between a great mod and a perfect mod. So just my thoughts about the nazgul system :p No offence meant and I think the mod's great!

Cheers, Martini
Easterlings, Haradrim, Valiant Variags of Khand and Corsairs of Umbar! Unite! UNITE! Against the Gondorians and deny them their right to their claim of Numenoreanship. We are the true Numenoreans!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users