• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#41 Gherrick

Gherrick

Drunken Bastard

• Project Team
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:49 AM

No. That's impossible. Don't you remember Dain saying that he tried mounting/dismounting Dol Amroth Knights and they were full of bugs like trampling on foot etc.?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Let me confirm that there will be no mounting battalions due to technical difficulties that cannot be solved because of engine limitations.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#43 hdh7

hdh7

some random guy

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:57 AM

To bad, that seems like quite a good idea to me, but it would be best for just peasants.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. ROCK ON!!!

I would like to publicy anounce that I'm totaly insane.

I'm the little man living in your ceiling fan. I like it up here.

#44 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

To bad, that seems like quite a good idea to me, but it would be best for just peasants.

Oh it is, it's just that it's a tad off balance and a tad impossible. :dry:
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#45 Hobbit-Feet

Hobbit-Feet
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hey em i read back there that mirkwood had a melee captain type unit...i dont no bt isnt the elves expertise the bow and arrow? Would it not be better to hav a archer captain type unit it would add a bit of variety, imo!

#46 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

But having the melee captain adds variety within the Mirkwood faction. The elves are pretty good with the bow, but they like swords as well - remember the Last Alliance scene and also note that several characters had elven blades.

And welcome to the forums! Don't forget to check out all the other mods out round here.

Edited by mh_gollum, 14 May 2007 - 06:22 PM.

Posted Image

#47 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

The Cano are rivendell units. They can only be attatched to Elven Melee units (Macar, Aitharan, Megilherdir)

You may also have noticed some unique units leading battalions (I think there's a good screenshot of the Mirkwood captain) . These "captains" are simply banner carriers.. but it doens't make sense for stealthy units to carry a banner is it?

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#48 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hey em i read back there that mirkwood had a melee captain type unit...i dont no bt isnt the elves expertise the bow and arrow? Would it not be better to hav a archer captain type unit it would add a bit of variety, imo!

It wouldn't make sense to have a bunch of melee units have a ranged unit amongst them, now would it? It works vice-versa though.

And the Elves 'expertise' doesn't extend to just bows, but swords and namely spears as well. It's those cheap rip-offs of Elves that make it seem that they only use bows.

You may also have noticed some unique units leading battalions (I think there's a good screenshot of the Mirkwood captain) . These "captains" are simply banner carriers.

I'm confused. Are you saying that Banner Carriers are gonna be the Cano instead (at least with some melee units)?
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#49 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

There is a Mirkwood Captain unit, but it just acts as a banner carrier for some battalions.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#50 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

So the Cano acts as a Banner Carrier for the units that it can attach to, i.e. the Macar, the Aitharan, and the Megilherdir. Is this right or am I still confused?
Posted Image

#51 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

You're still confused.

The Cano is a separate unit that you can train from Rivendell. You can attach it to battalions. However (and completely separately), some Mirkwood units will have a "captain" instead of a banner when they reach level 2. It's a merely graphical thing, just representing how stealthy units would not carry a banner.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#52 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

Oh, now I get it. *slaps himself over the head because it was so obvious* Just one final question about this captain guy: is he automatically acquired at level 2 (i.e. he is added as soon as the battalion reaches that level), or does he have to be purchased? I think I already know the answer to this.
And (I just realised) this answers another of my questions which I asked long ago: 'why doesn't Mirkwood have a Banner Carrier upgrade?'. Killed two birds with one stone. :) OK I'll shut up now. :p

Edited by Olorin, 15 May 2007 - 12:13 PM.

Posted Image

#53 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

the Cano captain units are added to the batallion purchassed. Captain units buff up the battalion they are attached to.
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#54 Bard

Bard

Wordsmith, Penman and Scribbler

• Project Team
  • 264 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  Rhovanion Alliance Writer

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

Basically, the Cano are what I call the "True Captain Units" (most factions have these True Captain Units in one form or another), they are similar tp Trolls or Heroes as they are purchased and controlled as separate singular units as well as fully capable of fighting by themselves.
They are attachable to battalions, which they then provide bonuses for as well as fight alongside them. Some have restrictions on what type of units they can attach to. In the case of the Rivendell Cano, these are pure-melee battalions.

The Mirkwood captain (note the absence of the capital C) units are substitutes for the banner carriers for stealth-oriented battalions (Maethor are a prime example), they share no other similarities to the True Captain Units except for their name. They are spawned within the battalion, are not purchased and controlled separately, do not provide bonuses to the battalion and are only there to differentiate a level 2 and higher battalion from a level 1 battalion.
They are banner carrier in all aspects except for the fact that they do not carry banners, are capable of joining their battalion in shooting down the enemy (if the battalion is a ranged unit) and are capable of "stealthing" with their battalion.

Edited by Bard, 16 May 2007 - 05:02 AM.

Posted Image

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

#55 hman

hman
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

this is hdh7 just in case anyone remembers me :p
I already mentoined this idea as a spellbook power for harad but I think it could be an interesting bonus for harad: bounty, an ability that summons a gruop of assasins that attempt to hunt down and kill the enemies heros, the asasins would be powerful against heros but weak against other units. You could make it to where the ability is activated from a building or a certain hero or whatever. You could also make the ability target a spefic hero instead of just hunting down every hero.

what do you guys think?
Posted Image

#56 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

From the looks of it it would require to much work. It's an awesome idea though. :p
Posted Image

#57 hman

hman
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thanks :) but your right it would take take lots of programin and probably would be fulla bugs.

I have an idea for an abilty for certain units, maby rangers or thirrad, to have a tracking abilty thats alows them to see where enemy units have been and what direction they went. it could be shown using an arrow or a line on the minimap.
Is this possible? Would it be worth the trouble? it could work for the uruk scouts.

Edited by hman, 31 July 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Posted Image

#58 halbarad

halbarad

lone wanderer

• Project Team
  • 466 posts
  • Projects:RA, tinkering...
  •  random guy

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

i was thinking about summin like that ages ago, like you could see the footprints as coloured dots around the map left by units recently when a scout unit was close to them, the minimap think probably isnt possible though or would result in loads of lines all over the minimap that would be annoying.

in theory i think it is possible though, would love to see it implemented but probably would be a bit memory hungry:

(and now for the technical bit)
you could have all units leave a trail of objects behind where ever they went (using an an OCLUpdate with a regular delay) and these objects would have no model or anything unless a scout unit came near them and gave them an attribute modifier (leadership) that changed their modelconditionstate to like USER_3, whereupon, they would change their model to something, like some coloured footprints depending on the faction that was there...

i may have to play with this mwa hahaha :)...

Edited by halbarad, 31 July 2007 - 11:35 PM.

Now for Wrath, Now for Ruin, and for a Red Dawn...

#59 hman

hman
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

sweet!!!!!!! :)

sweet!!!!!!! :p
Posted Image

#60 halbarad

halbarad

lone wanderer

• Project Team
  • 466 posts
  • Projects:RA, tinkering...
  •  random guy

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

lol, im not saying it going to be in or even work btw :)
Now for Wrath, Now for Ruin, and for a Red Dawn...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users