#641 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

I think it was at Thain's book, that I read the name Lorgan. But I seem to recall that was referenced to as the 2nd age...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#642 elbenmensch

elbenmensch
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

No,actually Lorgan lived in the First Age,and served Morgoth...

EDIT:You should not forget about Khamul,who was the second mighty of the Nazgul,and the only one given a name by Tolkien.

But i see the Problem that you may have,because 10 nazgul in one game isnt realistic...So you could just model him like a Rhun Soldier but give him some Nazgul Powers,what d you thnk?

Edited by elbenmensch, 17 August 2008 - 07:53 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#643 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

We've already discussed this, we won't name and personalize the Nazgûl.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#644 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

Mapper,Begginer Modeler and Animator

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Projects:World Builder Battle Of the Crater Map BFME2

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:48 PM

yeah,we cant make them appear twice because thats what the SEE team is trying to avoid actually.
What is the motherland,when you know you weren't born of land?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#645 Guest_Arthadan_*

Guest_Arthadan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

The axemen were from Khand, actually. And we're not told the names of any of the Easterling lords, kings, or commanders.

Sorry, but actually they were not:

'There is no news of the Rohirrim,' he said. 'Rohan will not come now. Or if they come, it will not avail us. The new host that we had tidings of has come first, from over the River by way of Andros, it is said. They are strong: batallions of Orcs of the Red Eye, and countless companies of Men of a new sort that we have not met before. Not tall, but broad and grim, bearded like dwarves, wielding great axes. out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem. They hold the northward road; and many have passed on into Anórien. The Rohirrim cannot come.'
The Return of the king, Chapter 4: The Siege of Gondor.

So they were a new people with big axes, shorter, stockier and bearded. There is a try by a non official wargaming miniatures company:

Posted Image

They need to be more sturdy to me taste.

#646 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:10 PM

Heh...too bad that same character (Ingold, Warden of the Rammas Echor) refers to other Easterlings as such (that being 'Easterlings' :p).

As for Lorgan...the Easterlings from the First Age and the Third were not the same people. They were two different groups of Men who served the Dark Powers, and so earned the same slang term for a name in the Common Speech.

#647 av8r

av8r

SEE Support Mgr

• Project Team
  • 489 posts
  • Projects:SEE

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:41 PM

well I dont know if this is considered spam, but for those of you who missed THIS POST, here is a refresher:

PLEASE NOTE

• This mod is NOT about "mirroring" the lore of the books though (even though they are unbeleivably fantastic)! It's (one again) all about primarily catching the spirit of the MOVIES! Secondly - the books!

Edited by Nazgûl, 18 August 2008 - 12:59 AM.
Shortened it a bit ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#648 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

So you're ignoring the original source material? :p

I realize it's a 'movie mod' and all, and this is quite an insignificant detail, but...c'mon, lol :unsure:

#649 Guest_Arthadan_*

Guest_Arthadan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

Heh...too bad that same character (Ingold, Warden of the Rammas Echor) refers to other Easterlings as such (that being 'Easterlings' :unsure:).

As for Lorgan...the Easterlings from the First Age and the Third were not the same people. They were two different groups of Men who served the Dark Powers, and so earned the same slang term for a name in the Common Speech.

Mike_ I'm afraid I don't take your point :p

Where is clearly stated the guys with the axes are from Khand (quote if possible, please)?

I know the mod is based on the movies, but here we are speaking about something not shown in them so I don't see the conflict in using Tolkien description for these guys as it is not in conflict with the movies and they are supposed to be a different people.

My two cents.

#650 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:29 AM

Okay...

Ingold speaks of 'swarthy Men from the East', whom he hasn't fought before. These are the Variags of Khand. Later on, it is said that the Lord of Lossanarch was slain by 'Variags of Khand, wielding cruel axes'.

#651 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:55 AM

I'm thinking about rather asian touch to Khand, as I'm pretty much following GW's ideas of design. The model for the Khand hero by TDP is wicked and the soldiers are gonna follow that concept. SO it will probably be a sort of samurai-looking swords. But since I'm thinking Dunlending skeletons/anims for them, it will probably be double weapons - so why not sword/axe combo? :)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#652 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:31 AM

the Variags of Khand actually preferred horses.
take a look at this:

http://uk.games-work...es/khand580.jpg
Posted Image
Posted Image

#653 elbenmensch

elbenmensch
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

Nazgul i wanna see you fighting with both an axe and a sword :)

YOu see my Point?Its kind of unrealistic...

Edited by elbenmensch, 19 August 2008 - 09:29 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#654 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

the Variags of Khand actually preferred horses.
take a look at this:
http://uk.games-work...es/khand580.jpg

Uhm, you can't compare sword/axe to horses. That's not really relevant? :p I know about the chariots, and most likely, the hero will use one... The question was not wether to use horses or not, but the weapons...

Nazgul i wanna see you fighting with both an axe and a sword :p

YOu see my Point?Its kind of unrealistic...

Why is it unrealistic? I can fight with a sword and a popsicle if I want? :) Using double weapons isn't exactly a new invention throughout history ;)
They will most likely have swords and an axe, kind of like this one:
Posted Image

Edited by Nazgûl, 19 August 2008 - 10:17 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#655 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,438 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

Okay...

Ingold speaks of 'swarthy Men from the East', whom he hasn't fought before. These are the Variags of Khand. Later on, it is said that the Lord of Lossanarch was slain by 'Variags of Khand, wielding cruel axes'.

Well, no... or whatever swarthy means :)

The Variags of Khand are known to the good guys, while the "Axemen" aren't... They've never fought them before, or even seen them... The Variags?

In 1944, they attacked Gondor on two fronts. The Haradrim invaded Ithilien from the south while the Wainriders and the Men of Khand attacked from the northeast. They gathered near the Sea of Rhun and then marched alongside the Ash Mountains to the Black Gate of Mordor, where they took the Northern Army of Gondor by surprise and defeated them. King Ondoher of Gondor and both his sons were killed.

I'm not a person of timetables in LotR, so let me put it this way... It's years before the War of the Ring :p

One thing I've wondered a little bit on though, is the "Not tall, but broad and grim, bearded like dwarves, wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."
I have thought of the possibility that these might actually have been the dwarves from the East, in the Red Mountains (or whatever it's name is..) However, I've also thought about the possibility for it not to be them, since they probably are larger than dwarves and all... Most likely, they're just short men :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#656 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

i know that you cant compare swords and axes to horses.i was saying whether the Variags can have swords and axes with an addition of horses and chariots.

Edited by SovietSoldier, 19 August 2008 - 10:55 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#657 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

The Variags will only be a support unit, and not expanded too far. They are the equalient of Dunlendings in Isengard, or Corsairs in Mordor, or Men of Dale in Erebor, and so on...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#658 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:42 AM

i also have a question,what is the hasharin?i mean,it is supposed to look like an assassin i think,but why do we need it?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#659 Guest_Arthadan_*

Guest_Arthadan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

The Variags of Khand are known to the good guys, while the "Axemen" aren't... They've never fought them before, or even seen them... The Variags?

That's what I think about this matter. The bearded guys with big axes seems to come from the east, but we can't know if they came from Khand. However, their first contact with Gondorians was in the Was of the Ring in late Third Age, so it's quite likely they came from further eastern lands.

i also have a question,what is the hasharin?i mean,it is supposed to look like an assassin i think,but why do we need it?

Exactly my thoughts, he is not in the movies or in the books. It's only Games Workshop 's :p

#660 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, but I like them :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users