• This topic is locked This topic is locked
487 replies to this topic

#1 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

EDIT: I'm using this post and all posts to follow, moved from the thread; "EvilMen faction - Instead of Goblins", moved here into a thread of its own. Why? Cause discussions about Goblin faction ONLY was taking over the reason of that thread :p

EDIT2: Here's a screen of models we could use for Goblin heroes. And yes I will keep "Gorkil" but I think I'm gonna use him for Great Goblin. I think EA was inspired but that caracter when designing him anyways... and I like the fully functional model he is! ;) //Nazgûl Posted Image
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*original unedited post below*

I like the idea of evil men....they were my favorite in BoG...But you can't completely scrap the gobs. if anything, they'd be allied with isengard (which i think would be cool, too). There's just too much to them to ally them with mordor, and it would make them very redundant. besides, that's two opposite ends of the world (middle-earth, at least).

Cmon, MS, the big ears are the best part...? well, yeah, they all do look like mini-ratchets, but still. it's something different.

I remember the Great Goblin from the hobbit. Gorkil=NOWHERE CLOSE. The Great Goblin was a warrior, not a boozer.

The way i see the goblins would make them very different. i even had an idea about mobile buildings, if that was possible. (each building, excluding mines, would have a team of cave trolls standing beside it that could lift it up and move it).

The Evil Men do kinda seem tacked onto mordor. Making them into a minifaction, like Gondor/rohan, would be really cool.

Oh, this is just a thought but you can incorporate stuff from RotWK, Right? If so, maybe you could give goblins their walls (reskinned), and even their fortress (reskinned), to get rid fo the spidery thing. Although from what i've read, it sounds like skinning a building is rather difficult. Still, it would be better than a fence IMO. And the goblins climbing over their own walls sounds cool to me.

Edited by Nazgûl, 09 October 2009 - 10:08 PM.

If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#2 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

well, yeah, i hate most of the stuff EA gave them too. But still, theoretically they could be a very different faction. and they don't have to be a different species (although over time they did kinda change). The difference between factions shouldn't be their people, but their style of play. I hear a lot of "wow, it'd be cool if BLAAH was in the game", but what kind of effect does that give it gameplay wise? I'm just saying that Goblins would have the most different style of play.

I have to dissagree with the mod being about mordor. it seems to be more about MotW IMO.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

goblins are too...orcish

Hmm? Maybe that's because they're the same?

i don't think goblins need wolves

Ever read The Hobbit?

1. Gobs look different from orcs because of location. Yes, they're all orcs, but a mordor orc looks different from a moria orc, or goblin. Mordor orcs live in a very hot area of Middle-Earth, so their skin will be relatively dark and they'll have narrow eyes to keep the soot out. Goblins, on the other hand, live in teh depths of the misty mountains. They'd be very pale, since many have never seen the light of day (actually most, since they'd be turned to stone) and would have large eyes because of the lack of lighting. Their armor would look different because the two groups have different materials available. They're the same kind of creature, but they look different because of their surroundings.

2. Yes, and in that circumstance the goblins had bilbo up in a tree, with the wolves jumpin up after em. I said that because Isengard already has Wargs and the addition of any kind of rider would be rather redundant. however, they could port the dire wolves from RotWK to goblins and have a very fast anti-infantry unit, which is what they really need, since spiderlings are paper anyways. Plus, if i remember correctly, i don't believe the goblins were "allowed" to ride the wargs. I do remember that they could speak each other's languages.

still, in the goblin's case anything's better than spiders.

Edited by Garrison Nomad, 17 June 2007 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:08 AM

I misvoted by accident. I would like to keep the goblins, but redo them like all other factions as well. So far i like the gundabad+moria idea best. Wargriders would suit them better than spider riders. And why not. There is always bound to be some overlap. Elves and Men have Horse Cavalry. Most have swordmen and pikemen. So what! Take out all the spider stuff and Gorkil on Scorpion (*sad*). We can make Shelob+Spiderlings a cool Summon for both Mordor and Goblins. We already have a beatiful FX, she comes crawling out of a hole. :xcahik_:
The Dragons should stay with Goblins though...

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#5 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:18 AM

I really think for goblins the wolves would be best unmounted. If not, then they'd need some tweaking. For a leader, I'd reccomend the goblins get two actual goblin heroes. They could get the Great Goblin, which would be a warrior/supportive hero, probably their best. They could get a half-troll/mountain orc hero as well, possibly even one weilding a bow (uber knockback).

I think it would be cool if the gobs got some kind of dragon Unit, something like a low-flying drake. Actually, a large drake could work. One with large arms that fought melee-style would complement the gob's warfare quite well. The fire drakes should probably be removed. For a flying unit...er, could the dragon-strike dragon be made into a unit? that would be cool. least it'd be way betetr than Drogoth. Smaug would wtf pwn him anyways.

btw srry to make all the suggestions here. I just wanna get some idea that would save the gobs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

See the Gobling aren't that bad of a faction. And could even be a force on the battlefield.

I'm sure this has been stated before somwhere in all this madness :xcahik_:, but they really need a fast anti-infantry unit. They lack a decent buffed infantry unit. Face it the goblin warriors and marauders just don't do the job. And if look look at it, the only Hero worth their price and change is Drogoth. They need a tank on the field to take and lash out a beating. Probably the best thing that they got going for them is their seige. It's really not much, but they could easily be fixed. Well not easily, but you know what I mean :D .

To sum it up: Good faction in the making, just needs a few tweaks to be great.
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:43 AM

If there isn't gonna be an evil men faction we can improve the Goblins and make them closer to the Books

Goblin Pikemen - beasic pikemen

Wild Wolves (a white and Grey reskin of Wargs, replace the role of the Spiderlings)

Wolf Riders (elite cavalry, toggle bow/sword, replace the obscene spider riders)

Gundabad Wariors - Heavy amoured warriors, similar damage stats to half trolls

Half Trolls become the Elites for the Goblins

Durgash - New Hero for the Goblins, Durgash is an Early Game Hero:

*lvl 1) Toggle Sword/Spear (sword 50% speed and armour/ spear 50% damage
*lvl 3) Bellow (enemy units cower in fear)
*lvl 5) Impaler (heavy spear attack, does splash damage)
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#8 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

Personally, I think turning the Goblins into what they should have been is a more unique idea. Get rid of the half-troll marauders and spider riders and the other stuff EA pulled out their arse and turn them into proper Tolkein based faction.

Although in saying that, I don't know what new units you could have, without the obvious goblin spearmen, archers and swordsmen and trolls. Talk to Garrison Nomad about his ideas and maybe do some research, or get others to do so.

After a quick look at tuckborough.net, some ideas could include the white wolves that were found in the north, as well as the "deadly" wolves of the wilderland, as ideas for goblin cavalry, which could replace the spider riders.
Posted Image

#9 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

I remember that Gandalf mentionen Moria had access to the 'Underdeeps', the bowels of Middle-Earth, because the dwarves mined too deep and were too greedy for mithril. This way the Balrog was released. Possibly other creatures, like the watcher, lurked there too. This leaves the possibilities for the strangest creature that hid there after Morgoth's defeat to enter play on the side of Goblins. We might check up on the Sil after all. Take Werewolfes for example. Either as a small horde or better yet as a hero. This kindof makes the Balrog suited best for Goblins. Since Saruman had access to the Grey Mountains as well, even Isengard could profit unitwise from a creative brainstorming. :xcahik_:

Of course, either we base new creatures on existing ones, or this will be a motivating force for our brilliant modelers. Or both. *wink*

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#10 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Personally, I think turning the Goblins into what they should have been is a more unique idea. Get rid of the half-troll marauders and spider riders and the other stuff EA pulled out their arse and turn them into proper Tolkein based faction.

Although in saying that, I don't know what new units you could have, without the obvious goblin spearmen, archers and swordsmen and trolls. Talk to Garrison Nomad about his ideas and maybe do some research, or get others to do so.

After a quick look at tuckborough.net, some ideas could include the white wolves that were found in the north, as well as the "deadly" wolves of the wilderland, as ideas for goblin cavalry, which could replace the spider riders.

has my list gone ignored? :xcahik_: Because I have actually made a list of alternative units back there. :D
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#11 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

I remember that Gandalf mentionen Moria had access to the 'Underdeeps', the bowels of Middle-Earth, because the dwarves mined too deep and were too greedy for mithril. This way the Balrog was released. Possibly other creatures, like the watcher, lurked there too. This leaves the possibilities for the strangest creature that hid there after Morgoth's defeat to enter play on the side of Goblins. We might check up on the Sil after all. Take Werewolfes for example. Either as a small horde or better yet as a hero. This kindof makes the Balrog suited best for Goblins. Since Saruman had access to the Grey Mountains as well, even Isengard could profit unitwise from a creative brainstorming. :xcahik_:

Of course, either we base new creatures on existing ones, or this will be a motivating force for our brilliant modelers. Or both. *wink*

I wouldn't think actual units, but those kinds of goodies could make for some really crazy summon powers...especially to replace the bland ones like isen's summon wildmen" and crap, and plus, if gobs lost their spider influence, they'd neeed a few new powers as well.

Now...a lot of this stuff is fresh in my mind since i actually just finished the hobbit last night. There was no mention of any kind of half-troll ever...but there was an interesting unit mentioned right before bilbo left gollum's cave. There was a mention to a great spear-weilding goblin of very large size, and they were referred to as the Orcs of the Mountain, which i would gather would probably be around the same size, if not differentially proportioned, than half-trolls. It said that most goblins were very lightly armored, exceot for those that were either battle-ready or very strong. Goblins weren't always ready for a fight, but when they steeled themselves they were brutal, emaning that their armor upgrades would give them a lot of help.

After the party leaves the caves and meets up with bilbo (who now has the ring) they run into the goblins again, this time fully armed and accompanied by wolves. these wolves are less wargish (as in movie appearance) and look more like real wolves. The goblins could speak the language of the wolves and rode them very efficiantly. In fact, at the Battle of the Five Armies the goblin's primary unit of choice was the warg rider. That's why i think that the rider should be a first teir basic unit that you use throughout the match.

At the battle of the Five Armies 3 basic infantry types were mentioned, other than riders: swordsmen spearmen, and archers. This is the basic 3 that pretty much everybody gets, right? Well, i think the goblins should get the reaper instead of spearmen . An area-effect unit that excelles at killing cavalry and ground control would do wonders for their tactics, not to mention improve base defence massively.

Now, here' where the goblins start getting really unique. The goblins, more than any other faction, have serious trouble with basic infantry. Cavalry aren't a problem due to half-trolls, and archers are easily overcome by the speed of average goblins, but those basic infantry, orcs, uruk-hai, any of those, just cleave through them. The answer to this problem could be solved in several ways, even just buffing their archers, but i have a comepletely different idea. The idea is to incorporate a short-ranged high-damage unit called the assasin. assasins chuck knives. That's pretty much all there is to them. Stealth is..ehh, undecided on my part. I like the idea of their attacks stealing life, though, since their short-ranged and couldn't overly be abused.

The Elite infantry of the goblins includes mountain orcs?, but another addition could be a unit called the goblin mercenary. Goblin Mercenaries are experts at all forms of combat. They weild dual swords and can switch for longbows. Goblin emrcenaries have incredible range and do lots of damage when upclose, but like most goblin infantry they have relatively low health. their secret is their ability to infultrate undetected and destroy structures. Goblin Mercs can stealth while moving, climb over an enemies' walls, and set explosive mines. Once you realise there's a team of mercs in your base you have to act, before they go trigger-happy. Mercs can effectively destroy outposts, but heavier base defences can slaughter them. This is a Starcraft moment, when you keep getting spammed with nukes. If they keep on attacking from behind, you have to be ready for them.

As for siege, the cave troll is a fine unit, perhaps needing a little armor for a cool effect. The mountain giant can stay as well, just with a massive revision.

Sorry for writing a book, but you asked for suggestions.

Edited by Garrison Nomad, 18 June 2007 - 04:02 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

has my list gone ignored? :xcahik_: Because I have actually made a list of alternative units back there. :D

Sorry, since this forum became so damn busy I only read the most recent posts. But you have similar ideas to me, or should that be the other way around
Posted Image

#13 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, sorry uruk king. This whole thread kinda turned into a post-fest anyways.

In regards to Gundaband...Gundaband is pretty much a sirname for a powerful goblin unit. Gundaband was the goblin's capital in the Misty Mountains, and was where their council was held as well. Makes no sense why in RotWK Angmar got Gundaband Raiders...which would've been goblins anyways.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

Garrison, you have excellent ideas, but you write so much...Maybe put less down on paper?

I mentioned your list, UK, in my post, saying that it was good....I think...something along those lines...

#15 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

I have a detail disease...i always wondered on other forums if people just ignored my posts, but the truth was that they were just too long. Will try to lessen things in the future. Heh.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Servant of Sauron

Servant of Sauron

The right hand of Saruman

• Project Team
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

Garrison Nomad would you be willing to post a link to your Goblin art?

One thing to note Naz: One of the reasons I like Middle-earth so much is because it's so realistic in terms of politics. For example in Warcraft all Orcs are on the same "team" but in LoTR that is not the case. Frequently Orcish clans make war upon one another and many different breeds of Orcs come from different places.

Secondly Goblin is just a synonym for Orc. They use it interchangably in both the book and movie. I'd rather see the Goblins renamed to Gundabad or Moria with Orcs coming from all over the Misty Mountains. The basic units would be Orc Warriors of Moria and Orc Archers of Moria with heavier units being from Gundabad. Secondly: do you have any idea how far away the Misty Mountains and Mordor are? Moria etc. is closer to Isengard than Mordor. Clumping all Orcs in one race would be brutalizing the lore. It would be like sticking Dale with Gondor and Rohan because they're classified as "good men".

Lastly I'd like to see some new Moria Orc models as not all Goblins are armoured in those head pieces etc. What about actually giving them some scavenged armour? Hell, if you want me to I could even do some concept art to show you what I mean.

The old world will burn in the fires of industry! The forests will fall! A new order will rise...we will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Orc! We have only to remove those who oppose us...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

sure thing, SoS.

http://forums.revora...&...st&p=467096
I think the goblins would have very simple armor, but have a complicated look. They're gonna find every bit of scrap they can find, toss it in a mold, super-heat it, and wear it, regardless of how uneven it is. The bigger enemies would definately come out of gundaband, save for the mountain orcs that lived around the Great Goblin.

one aesthetic thing I added to the goblins are tattoos. My goblins have blackmarks all over them. makes them look more interesting, and being down that low you're likely to be burned several times.

Edited by Garrison Nomad, 18 June 2007 - 10:48 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

Well....Gundaband units would be just the biggest and baddest goblins you've ever seen, considering Gundaband was the capital. Here's an idea of what you'd see coming out of Mount Gundaband:

from The Hobbit

"There a host of wargs came ravening and with them came the bodyguard of Bolg, goblins of huge size with schimitars of steel."

Now that would be a serious gundaband unit, basically a huge muscular goblin with a giant sword. Would help out if half-trolls got kicked, or reduced to mountain orcs.

Here's what a scimitars (not schimitars: one too many letters Garrison :)) look like if anyone is curious

Talwar_Hind_C3_BA_SXVII.jpg
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:01 AM

Well....Gundaband units would be just the biggest and baddest goblins you've ever seen, considering Gundaband was the capital. Here's an idea of what you'd see coming out of Mount Gundaband:

from The Hobbit

"There a host of wargs came ravening and with them came the bodyguard of Bolg, goblins of huge size with schimitars of steel."

Now that would be a serious gundaband unit, basically a huge muscular goblin with a giant sword. Would help out if half-trolls got kicked, or reduced to mountain orcs.

Here's what a scimitars (not schimitars: one too many letters Garrison :p) look like if anyone is curious

Talwar_Hind_C3_BA_SXVII.jpg

That's a scimitar, but the kind of scimitar a hulking goblin would favor would probably be along the lines of a more...er...RuneScape scimitar, Posted Image big and beefy, like the goblin swordsman's sword, only much larger. That kind of scimitar would be one a corsair, or even an elf would use.

pff, everyone knows it's pronounced "scshimitar". Err...if that was possible to say.

Edited by Garrison Nomad, 19 June 2007 - 02:02 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

That's a scimitar, but the kind of scimitar a hulking goblin would favor would probably be along the lines of a more...er...RuneScape scimitar, Posted Image big and beefy, like the goblin swordsman's sword, only much larger. That kind of scimitar would be one a corsair, or even an elf would use.

pff, everyone knows it's pronounced "scshimitar". Err...if that was possible to say.

I know, I was just giving the visual of what one looks like. A long, curved sword. Different looks come by what race uses them. Slim and slender, like for elves and men. Or maybe something more broad for a more sinister creature (orcs, etc.).

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users