Men of the East

• Please log in to reply
968 replies to this topic

#941 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

Ah thats a nice model.
Can you explain more about the tribesman? Can he mount mumaks?

#942 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

Ah thats a nice model.
Can you explain more about the tribesman? Can he mount mumaks?

Muhad tribemen? ahh well that movie and fans concept,tolkien didn't describ men from far-harad to look like that..he just said they have swarthy skin so i guess they reference to zulu tribemen in african.

as for Muhad you can see them in movie for example(mumakil rider chieftain who was slain by Éomer) some fan-fiction replace original tolkien tribemen with Muhad.

i believe this is that fan concept Link

Edited by Dant, 22 August 2009 - 11:49 AM.

Posted Image

#943 Naruub

Naruub
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Ty (im the guest that has been posting recently), well the mahud idea is also great you could add them along with the troll-men of far harad.

Edited by Naruub, 22 August 2009 - 03:12 PM.

#944 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Althought it fan idea concept and tolkien never said they were camels in middle-earth,I think camels is nice and unique.

Tolkien also never said that there weren't any motor-vehicles in middle-earth either. Let's not argue with that kind of logic, it's redundant and it doesn't get us anywhere.

Nice model though. I don't think that the camel will be getting added since in the lore it states that the Haradrim were very good horsemen.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#945 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

motor-vehicles in middle-earth :p ,well i agree Haradrim were good horseman so we don't need camels,i try not to turn it into argue and exchange opinion as possible.
:ermm:

Ty (im the guest that has been posting recently), well the mahud idea is also great you could add them along with the troll-men of far harad.

I prefer Tribemen along with Half-Troll it more close to books..but it all depend on team..and it not great idea mixing books lore with movie lore. :)

Edited by Dant, 23 August 2009 - 09:29 AM.

Posted Image

#946 Naruub

Naruub
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

Yes, let's hope the team will add our ideas in the next version.

#947 CTLN7

CTLN7

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,210 posts
  • Projects:Rogue Republic

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

jeez ,you guys just cant understand ,rob is missing .The next ver is soo far i cant even smell it :xd:

Edited by CTLN7, 23 August 2009 - 06:47 PM.

#948 Naruub

Naruub
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

And why would Rob miss the next version?

#949 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Um, there won't be a next version because Rob IS the leader, and does most of the work!
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#950 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Perhaps you should have said, until Rob returns.
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#951 Naruub

Naruub
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Oh is Rob gone for a while? You should have told me that instead of saying something like we won't have a next version.

#952 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

Um, there won't be a next version because Rob IS the leader, and does most of the work!

What about the rest of team..grab some of his work and continue doing it maybe just a little. :xd:
Posted Image

#953 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:31 AM

we can and are continuing to do some work, but we cannot do rob's job for him, nor can we, by any means, release a version without him. this is his mod, not ours, so its not our place to make any real changes without him. the best we can do is work on assets and the like

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#954 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

Yeah, Rob is gone, etc, etc, etc but it doesn't mean that we can't keep adding in some fresh ideas (especially if we are not doing any work or making new maps at the moment). Plus I haven't written a long post in a while, so... :good:

Okay, so you guys know the Khand/Haradrim Palace (I think it's called a Khand Palace anyways it's purple/pinkish colour...) that you can build on with the Haradrim fortress (along with a market place)? Well I was thinking that it's about time we discussed what its function should be :p.

I was thinking a couple of things could be done with it:

1. It could be used to produce any unit available to Harad.

By this I'm excluding Mumakil and the Black Serpent Guard units and heroes. It would basically be used as a last minute barracks if you're starting to lose the battle and if all of your other unit-producing buildings are being razed. But by that point you would probably have already lost the game. This isn't my favourite idea out of my other suggestions, but I'm just going to throw it in here to see if anyone else gets any inspiration.
****Yay for logic! But I'll leave it up here for inspiration (if any) :good: ******

2. It could be used to study the Mirage/Skeleton Army ring power.

Right now there's a 15pp MOTE ring power that gives you both the ability to summon a mirage army and a skeletal army. I think that's a little OP at the moment since no other faction gets to have two pp powers within one purchase.

To solve this I'm suggesting that either the mirage army power or the skeletal army power gets studied at the extra Haradrim/Khand palace that's attached to the fortress. It already costs 1500-2000 resources to buy the Khand/Haradrim palace expansion so if another cost was added to studying the Mirage/Skeletal army power, you would be getting it in the mid-late game anyways.

3. It could be used to study fell-beast upgrades for the Ring-wraiths.

This suggestion could be combined with suggestion #2; and it brings us into a whole new discussion... Right now Ji Indur (the ringwraith with Harad) doesn't get a chance to mount a fell-beast; instead he gets a horse. I think it's an insult to the lore not to give him the ability to purchase a fell-beast. It does mirror Ji Indur to Khamul (who's with Rhun) but they do have different level 10 powers. MOTE also now has Valathmir who does get a mount at rank 7, and he has a similar power set to Ji Indur.

Anyways the Khand/Haradrim palace expansion could be purchased, in order to purchase fell-beasts for Ji Indur.

Edited by Scryer, 16 December 2009 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#955 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:48 AM

I disagree that the two power purchase is OP. They are pretty weak individually. And they can compare perfectly to other 15 powers if used at the same time.
I'd go with either the Nazgul mount thing or the Barracks thing.
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#956 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

Scryer, if you could get an expansion that gets all the units anyway there would be no point in getting multiple kinds of barracks ^_^ Personally I think some kind of passive stealth upgrade would be wonderful.

I think the number of units in the mirage should be about doubled, and maybe add some more skeletons too. Then, (if this is possible anyway) if you started with Rhun you would get one of them and if you picked Harad you would get the other.

Personally I also think Ji and Khamul should work like the other nazgul. But, that's just me :p

Scryer, would you wanna play some friendly matches online sometime? I haven't played RJ in forever.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#957 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

Scryer, if you could get an expansion that gets all the units anyway there would be no point in getting multiple kinds of barracks :p .

Maybe ^_^ . Yeah, I'm not too sure what I was smoking when I typed up that suggestion. Re-reading it made me realize how smrt I am. Just gonna cross it out now... :)

Personally I think some kind of passive stealth upgrade would be wonderful.

Personally I also think Ji and Khamul should work like the other nazgul. But, that's just me :)

Hmm... The Khand Palace expansion could be used to both provide a fell-beast upgrade for Ji Indur and have a fortress-stealth ability? But in the end I agree that Ji and Khamul should (if not function like the other ringwraiths) have fell-beasts available to both of them at some point in the game.

For a stealth ability, we could always have a sandstorm that functions exactly like the elven mist power, only reskinned and sped up? It sounds easy enough to me but coding is probably another issue :p . Another power/idea that I have wanted MOTE to have is a quicksand-type power.... It could be a possibility even if it was a one time use with a very limited range.

I agree with what you're saying about the Mirage/Skeleton army powers; it would be nice to have some way to bar one faction off of it.

And I am pming you about an online match.

Edited by Scryer, 17 December 2009 - 12:10 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#958 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

I have some ideas to share:

1. Valathmir having to wait until level 7 to ride a simple horse is just insulting. I prefer that he be able to mount at level 1 or level 2, but no later than level 3. Also, to have him use the same animations for vambrace-blade that he has for sword (which looks more like a short-sword and when I think King I think hand-and-a-half sword) seems, and I don't mean any offense, awkward. Maybe that could be changed to the Corsair animation or the newly-integrated Mirkwood Knifer animation. Also, how did he get missing from War of the Ring mode?

2. That does make sense for both Khamul and Ji Indur to have access to fellbeasts, but it would also make sense for them to both start with horses and then upgrade to fellbeasts through an upgrade purchased at the Tavern (the building that Harad and Rhun share).

3. We could have a Corsair Hero called "Beruthiel". She does exist in the lore and she is a Black Numenorean and the Corsairs are decedents of BNs. She could be a crossbow character who gives leadership to all Corsairs and Rhun Brigands. There's an "Evil Heroes" topic that discusses adding her, an Easterling emperor, and a Rohirric Deserter.

4. I come to fortress maps and wonder why there's no Easterling fortress map, why there's no Southron fortress map, and why the 40% discount doesn't work in other factions' fortresses when the "Choose Faction" options are available.

5. There does exist a character in the lore called "The Black Serpent". He lead the MotE armies to battle in Pellenor Fields. I know, every mod out there has him in as "Suladan" so I suggest a choice of three other names: "Angamaite", "Sangahyando", or "Na'man", of which the first two are Tolkien. If you feel that he is a Harad-only character, try putting that Evil Heroes topic's Rhunic Emperor in with him.

6. We could name the Mahud Captain "Herumor" after another Tolkien-made Haradrim character, or if we want a more geographical name than lorely then we could dub him "Maazin" from darkshire's geographical names pdf. Tolkien also says that Far Harad had black-skinned, white-eyed, red-tongued men who looked like half-trolls (but were not half-trolls)

Thanks for reading,
~KP~

BTW, if the Palace expansion is a "Khand Palace", then wouldn't you recruit Khand's units from there? Just a thought...

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#959 vengefulnoob

vengefulnoob
  • Project Team
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

yep, i'm a noob, but I think the mod is completely awesome!

Just a few suggestions concerning the harad sub-faction:

fortress upgrades:
Mumak-tusk pallisade: a ring of mumakil tusks surround the fortress, preventing melee attacks anywhere except the front gate/tent

Blinding sands: a swirling sandstorm surrounds the fortress. Friendly units in a small radius are stealthed

Umbar stonework: upgrades the fortress with stone walls, decreasing the damage it takes.

And two possible "prime" upgrades:

Harad serpent Lair: the fortress may spawn a single giant serpent of harad (a significantly larger version of the serpent summon power snakes) one at a time.

Spawn mumak: the fortress shakes and crumbles to the ground as a single mumakil emerges from its centre, carrying its remains (six arrow towers) to war! essentially destroys the fortress to create a mumak

Units:

Ive seen the idea of a siege mumak thrown around a bit, but heres a different idea:
Siege mumakil: as standard, carrying a ballista, which takes 1 1/2 as long to fire due to the constrictions of the howdah. However the mumak has a special ability to fire a cable bolt, which sticks to city walls and anchors the mumakil like a siege tower, allowing the crew to cross straight onto walls! when activated the crew essentially evacuate onto the wall, and the mumak is forced to remain still and cannot attack. The ability can be deactivated with a "cut the line" action, returning the mumakil to normal

Standard mumakil: Please, find a way to put a haradrim archer horde into the howdah! in bfme 1, you could put orc archers into the howdah. I love the upsizing, but 6 men is just too few!

Mahud cheiftan: havent come up with a name, but a few new abilities:
If the mahud is mounted on an oliphant, it doubles its charge radius and halves the charge recharge time
Furious charge- an aditional ability for a mumak ridden by the mahud: for 60 seconds the mumak will initiate a charge at any point it is ordered to move to. 3 minute cooldown.
Calming influence: mumakil in a small radius cannot be panicked due to fire

thats about it, Just a few ideas.
EoPZnYh.png

#960 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

@ Emperor of the East: You are correct in saying that Beruthiel existed. But don't you think that, even if she had somehow managed to live this long, a thousand-year-old human queen wouldn't just take to the battlefield with a crossbow, screaming bloody murder? Also, Herumor is actually a Numenorean name: Herumor and Fuinir were King's Men who were lieutenants of Sauron, and they fled to Harad from Elendil and sons.

@ the self-named n00b: Some of those ideas look promising, although I think almost all of the fortress upgrades have been worked out already. I do, however, have some things to point out:

1. The Harad fortress is a tent. Turning it to stone... wouldn't work.

2. I'm not sure how the Haradrim can control a sandstorm. Elven magic is a tenuous excuse for Blessed Mist. Human magic... is unheard-of. Possibly one of the Blue Istari, although I'm not sure if they manifested their power in that way. Perhaps, going with the wizard's theme (I forget whether it was Morinehtar or Romestamo), the sandstorm could be an illusion?

3. An enormous sand-serpent... just because the Haradrim liked having snakes on their standards, doesn't mean that enormous sand-serpents existed. I mean, look at the royal crests of half the royal families in the world. Are we to believe that fire-breathing dragons, unicorns, and griffins existed because of heraldry? I think not.

4. However, the spawn Mumak idea sounds extremely interesting, both as a gameplay feature and otherwise. Having a moving base that can fight for itself (at somewhat reduced health and defense, most likely) seems like a fun idea. Although I'm somewhat confused with the way the logistics would work out... Also, if that was to work out, the other buildings would probably have to stay in place. I'm not sure how you stick a marketplace on the back of a giant beast... unless, of course, the beast is Discworld. :)

Also, I have a question of my own. I forget the name of the red tent that was a Harad fortress expansion, but what's to be done with that? A building for training elites? A tent that troops can garrison to heal their wounds? A clever defense mechanism that lets out an ambush of troops when enemy forces draw near? Or something else. If there are plans, which I'm sure there are, could you enlighten me?
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users