#261 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

Well I would never want to get rid of them. I just want them to be realistic.

#262 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

Well, if that were the case, then they would basically be like Orc Laborers, only in battalions :glare:

#263 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:22 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean by that.

#264 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:27 AM

I mean they couldn't stand up to any actual warriors - knights of Gondor or of Rohan, Men of Rhun and Orcs of Mordor; Saruman's Uruk-hai or either of the Elder Races.

#265 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:41 AM

Well no kidding.

#266 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:57 AM

I hate the rock throwing. It doesn't make sense.

It only makes sense for the heroes.

It isn't the stats and gameplay of the rocks. It is the fact that they are throwing rocks. I mean it is silly. Nobody could throw that hard. Plus it would lack concussive force.

Just putting all those together...it makes sense for heroes but not normal units? Where's that logic coming from...and a rock thrown to the head could at least knock you out...2-3 probably will. It takes a lot less training to throw stones than shoot bows.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#267 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:26 AM

For the heroes. They went away without bows. So we can't give them any. If you don't have a bow, and you desperately need some range attack what do you do? You grab something and throw it. Hence why they should have rocks. Now for the hobbit units, they know they are going to war so they would come armed. They would bring their bows. As far as training, the hobbits with bows would clearly be the ones who knew how to use them. It doesn't take that long to learn how to shoot. Plus, a good portion would have been used to hunting with them. To address the deadliness of a thrown rock; it would only cause harm if the hit was directly to the head and the head was unprotected. Even at a good 90 mph a helmet would deflect it. The worst it would do would be to stun the enemy for a second.

#268 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:08 AM

Uh, merry and pippin knew they were going to war, but they didn't grab bows.

Just don't see the logic that lets heroes but not units.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#269 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:17 AM

They didn't think they were going to war. They thought at first they were just going to Rivendell. Then when they left Rivendell it was not to war. They were counting on stealth and secrecy, not strength and weapons. The rock shouldn't be a powerful attack, it should be the weakest in game.

#270 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Right, so merry had no idea he was going to war when he begged Theoden to take him to Minas Tirith...

And pippin had no idea when he was inducted into the citadel guard...nope, he wasn't going to war at all...

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#271 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

By that time they were far away from where they make hobbit sized bows. On top of all that it is known they didn't use bows. So we can't give them any. I don't like them having that strong of a rock throw, but the matter stands they didn't have bows. It reality they most likely didn't use any ranged weapon, except maybe the throwing knives they were given. But if people insist that they need a ranged weapon then the only one really have as an option is the rocks. As stupid as it is that is all we can give them. I would like to see that go bye bye or get reduced a lot in power. Just because the heroes use rocks doesn't mean it makes it any less silly, stupid, and unrealistic. The physics of the matter stand, a stone thrown by anyone would lack any real killing force.

#272 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

Well, at thte rate of ranged weapons, why can't we give merry and pippan a throwing knife ability?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#273 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:29 AM

We could, we should.

#274 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Hey everyone, I'm back! So what is the final plan? Is it still rename the Hobbit Pitchforks to something (most likely Militia), and give them forks, scythes, bills, and other long farm tools. Then rename Hobbits to Hobbit Shirrifs, make it so some of them single handed axes, knifes, and clubs/staffs and the rest double handed staffs and axes, and make it so they use a bow instead of throwing rocks?
It would be cool if Merry and Pippin could have a knife throw ability, but since they have the rock throw ability (since they did throw rocks in the movies) it wouldn't really work.

#275 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

I like your plan. I would like to see the rock throw loose a lot of power.

#276 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

ok all that im about to ramble off is straight from a prologue (entitled concerning hobbits) to my copy of the lotr:tfotr written by the professor himself.

They posssessed from the first the art of disappearing swiftly and silently... and their elusiveness is due solely to a professional skill that heredity and practice, and a close friendship with the earth, have rendered inimitable by bigger and clumsier races

this simply backs up something that i believe AA threw in a few pages back about hobbits having a stealth ability. makes sense and id like to see it.

Though slow to quarrel, and for sport killing nothing that lived, they were doughty at bay, and at need could still handle arms.

just clearing up that they wouldnt be total rubbish for lack of skill but moreso for lack of reach, height, and relative strength. jsut because they werent warlike doesnt mean they cant defend themselves.

They shot well with the bow, for they were keen-eyed and sure at the mark. Not only with bows and arrows. If any Hobbit stooped for a stone, it was well to get quickly under cover, as all trespassing beasts knew very well.

makes perfect sense for them to toggle to bows rather than stones. also not to say that they would go to war with stones, but that it makes sense for the hobbit heros to use stones when no other ranged weapon is on hand.

@AA the rock throw cant lose too much power or else it will fail to be a valid option for the hobbit heros (since at this point im assuming that they will be the only ones who have it). as of now i dont believe they do too much damage anyways...

also the hobbit heros cant have bows because, as AA said, they didnt know they were going to war when they were someplace at which they could get hobbit-sized bows, but didnt know until much later on.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#277 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

Exactly. Thank you.

#278 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:45 AM

Wait, I thought you wanted to get rid of the rock throw ability all together AA :blush:

I guess what I said above is final then?

#279 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:46 AM

For the units. Not the heroes.

#280 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available