• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#221 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

Well if that's what you want then I guess the Shirrifs will have to stay using sticks and stones. I just can't see a Hobbit using a staff in one hand (which is incredibly hard to do, unless you have training) and a hatchet and knife in the other.

#222 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

Well if that's what you want then I guess the Shirrifs will have to stay using sticks and stones. I just can't see a Hobbit using a staff in one hand (which is incredibly hard to do, unless you have training) and a hatchet and knife in the other.

They would have had training. They are the sheriffs.

#223 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

Not enough training to use a staff single handed, even I can't do that with over 4 years of weapons training. I doubt they get good training, they are probably just given a staff and told where to hit people ;)

#224 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:41 PM

It depends on how long the staff is. If it is a half height staff then it would be easy. If it was a full height quarterstaff, then it would be hard. Since the Sheriffs walk all around the shire for their work it would seem like it would be more likely that they would have half height staffs, b/c that would make a better walking staff.

#225 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

It'd have to be a quarter height, they're hobbits ;)

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#226 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

Were talking in hobbit sizes. ;)

#227 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

I'm pretty sure that Tolkien meant they have quarterstaffs, they are all around a better weapon then halfstaffs, an I personally find them easier to walk around with.

#228 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:38 AM

He only ever says staffs, so it is up to us. Well I would disagree in the walking around bit. But why couldn't we do something like we do for the orcs. Vary the staff/ax combo.

#229 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:03 AM

That's what I was thinking of, but what about the knifes? And what will their ranged weapon be rocks, bows, or slings (please not slings).

#230 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

Bows. That is what Tolkien gave them. That is what what we should give them. I think the knife could be a random attack. Like at random times the pull out a knife and attack.

#231 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

That is the best idea I've heard so far, but is it possible? So they use a double handed axe or staff, and will randomly pull out a knife and slash the enemy, then to make them even cooler they can toggle to a bow ;) What if we gave the Hobbit Militia the knife ability too, any farmer would have a good hunting knife on them you know.

#232 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:00 AM

I would like to see a one handed ax.

#233 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:12 AM

Wouldn't it be strange if some of them had one handed weapons yet some of them had two handed weapons. Anyways I kind of stretched the truth when I said that they wouldn't have double handed axes ;) You use double handed axes for cutting down trees, splitting logs, and cutting large pieces of fire wood, and you use hatchets to cut down small saplings, cut twigs, and make more "portable" firewood. Or did you men a one handed axe for the Hobbit Militia?

Edited by Jaguar6, 29 August 2008 - 02:13 AM.

#234 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:15 AM

A short staff in one hand a tomahawk in the other.

#235 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Tomahawk is a Native American word, I doubt Hobbits would use them ;) And like I said before the most common axe would be a large one that would be used double handed. Anyways, how would they pull out a knife when they already have a axe in one hand and a staff in the other?
About the type of staff, Tolkien always compared the Hobbits to the English people, and since the Quarterstaff was a very popular weapon among the peasants, I think that is what he meant. The Quarterstaff originally comes from England, and would some times have metal-reinforced tips, and they could be anywhere from 6 feet to an incredible 18 feet long!

#236 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

Why exactly do we need a new hobbit unit?

I thought we were just discussing weapon variation...

vv oh, and Aridor, niiice vv

Well I guess Orwell was right, newspeak is inevitable.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#237 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

We aren't discussing a new Hobbit unit, we are discussing what weapons the "new Shirrif (previously Hobbits" should get, since we already discussed what the "new Militia (previously Hobbit Pitchforks) got.

#238 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:10 AM

may i remind you that we have not decided that we want to call them the hobbit milita yet. or at least i have not accepted it yet. ;)

tolkien may have compared hobbits to the english, but they are also much much smaller so they would not craft weapons for a human, but would craft them so that they would be able to use them effectively. therefore i dont see why they couldnt simply make their staff small enough to be used with one hand and have a small axe (doesnt have to be a tomohawk specifically, but it could be very similar).
i would think that when they pull out their knife they would stash one of their other weapons (perhaps both; depending on time constraints), give the enemy a slice or two, restash the knife, and then pull out the other one (or two) weapon(s) to fight as they were before.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#239 Jaguar6

Jaguar6

title available

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

Yes I know, but you haven't come up with any better names yet have you ;)

They would make their own style of Quarterstaffs, I never said that they would use human Quarterstaffs. I though they were a force that would grab what they had, they wouldn't have time to make a good fighting staff (which takes a really long time) and hatchet. They would use what they already have, the staffs that they have for Shirrifing, axes for chopping wood, bows for hunting, and knifes for skinning/gutting. You can't stop, put your axe in your belt, pull out a knife, stab your enemy a few times, put the knife back, and pull out a hatchet in the mist of a battle, your enemy would stab you the instant you put the hatchet away!

#240 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:38 AM

alright, if you dont think you would have time to put a small axe away, then how about doing a simple slash with the knife and then putting it back? you wouldnt necessarily need to stash the axe (or the staff for that matter) but could instead grip it differently so that you can grab the knife, slash once, put the knife away, and then go back to hacking and whacking. its hard to articulate, but if you think about it, it could work.

EDIT: actually i think sam (or one of the hobbit heros) has an animation that shows him slashing in the same motion as he pulls out his knife. im thinking something like that.

Edited by Dalf32, 30 August 2008 - 12:40 AM.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users