5 Week Project

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
143 replies to this topic

#101 xiongmao

xiongmao
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

a) when reaching the finishVolume it's the scoreboard which is displayed. What kind of victory screen you attempt to see?
d) what do you mean by "Missing Pickup", there's already one named "FiveWeek_BonusTime" that you can add to your map. But Luke is right, you can't change the pickup for now (this may be possible by set a configurable mesh in the postBeginPlay Method no?I did that for other fields)
The pickup allows you to set:
energyAmount : the energy the player gains
customRespawnTime: respawnTime
pickupMsg: the message when pickup displayed on the screen during 3s (obvious ^^)

Edited by xiongmao, 26 April 2008 - 07:37 PM.

#102 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Just a thought - Ron1n - have you actually updated your SVN repository, and moved all the content packages across?

#103 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

Updates: I have a simple working HUD that shows the player Energy at the top right, and when this reaches a threshold, will double in size and turn red. I'm going to remove the doubling in size, and try centering it in the screen. It's not much, but it works and it looks good. I haven't spent a lot of time on it, rather trying to track down the current issues.

- when i press "F1" the HuD disappears completely

I could not duplicate this error. When I press F1, it brings up the scoreboard. I have over-written the scoreboard function, but I don't know if this is what is causing you problems.

- Everytime the player looses energy (health) this "ARRGH" sound is played and the screen flashes. We should remove both.

This is happening because the volume is using the function 'CausePainTo', which in turn calls 'TakeDamage' in the pained object. I need to test this, but I think I've fixed it. I had to do a lot of code-shifting, which was a pain in the arse.

We are still missing the Pickups (they will make a big difference to the game im sure). I intend to use different staticmeshes for eacht level (to mach the style). Because of that we should implement them just using any mesh already there. I can override it later on with the correct meshes in the properties dialogue.

Had a look into this. There's no quick and easy way to make the pickup mesh an editor accessible property - so I think you're best going to have to subclass (extend) the existing class and change the mesh path yourself. Fortunately, this isn't exactly difficult.

#104 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

I just played with latest revision (85).
- I can't pickup the FiveWeek_BonusTime. If i run through it, nothing happens.
- This is the Hud i get (see image below). If i press F1 i completely disappears (no matter how many times pressed. It dissaprears and then nothing happens anymore)

Posted Image

- About changing the Pickupmeshes: I was surprised to see it has a pickupbase. Not what i had in mind, but it's not that important. If it works it's fine. Changing meshes is no Priority right now :blink:

If the new Classes and Ui's work on your machines but not on mine, we need to find out why. I don't know about the code. I just built a standart DM-Level and added the three Volumes (not intersecting) and added the FiveWeek_BonusTime. Do i need to do something else to make it work?
edit: I forgot to mention this. I also dont get the standart UI. If i'm ingame and press esc nothing happens. I can't get back to the menu. The only way to get out of the game is typing 'quit' in the console.

Also please post it in the Forums if you finished a feature that is ready for testing. I may overlook some stuff (like the existing FiveWeek_BonusTime). If i know about it i can test it and give you feedback.

And as a reminder: If you have questions or need content plz tell me :good:

Edited by R0n1n, 27 April 2008 - 03:03 PM.

#105 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

I just spent an hour torturing my brain to find a good name for the project. Right now we called everything FiveWeek_...
We have to give the project a proper name. First of all because i think it deserves one and second because my teachers would rip the project apart if it's called like that :blink:

This is what i ended up with:
Timetrial

I think it's a good name for the gametype. It's short, easy to speak out, easy to remember and it gives you the keyinformation concerning the gameplay. Although it's not that fancy i like it a lot better than any other idea i had so far.
What do you think?

#106 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

- This is the Hud i get (see image below). If i press F1 i completely disappears (no matter how many times pressed. It dissaprears and then nothing happens anymore)

The part on the top right is just debug information. The part on the bottom left is the standard UT display, and should go anywhere. I'm not working with the latest revision myself at home, because subversion doesn't seem to work on this machine, so I can't test it; I can only write code and post code to the forums, or do a merge when I'm at work.

Xiongmao, can you look into this quickly?

- About changing the Pickupmeshes: I was surprised to see it has a pickupbase. Not what i had in mind, but it's not that important. If it works it's fine. Changing meshes is no Priority right now :good:

I believe you can sink it into the floor to hide the base. Changing the pickup mesh itself is easy - just open the script file yourself and see :p

I just built a standart DM-Level and added the three Volumes (not intersecting) and added the FiveWeek_BonusTime. Do i need to do something else to make it work?

It doesn't have to be a 'DM' level - in fact you can name it anything you want, so long as the shortcut to launch the game is named correctly, it'll work. The volumes you add can actually intersect, as they can have a priority set in the editor. You shouldn't need anything else to make it work though, AFAIK.

edit: I forgot to mention this. I also dont get the standart UI. If i'm ingame and press esc nothing happens. I can't get back to the menu. The only way to get out of the game is typing 'quit' in the console.

Are you sure you have all the packages from the content section of the SVN? I'm not convinced. When you press ESC, you should see two buttons in the bottom right. I could swear that package is available. I'll look into it first thing tommorow.

I just spent an hour torturing my brain to find a good name for the project. Right now we called everything FiveWeek_...
We have to give the project a proper name. First of all because i think it deserves one and second because my teachers would rip the project apart if it's called like that :blink:

This is what i ended up with:
Timetrial

I think it's a good name for the gametype. It's short, easy to speak out, easy to remember and it gives you the keyinformation concerning the gameplay. Although it's not that fancy i like it a lot better than any other idea i had so far.
What do you think?

It'll suffice. To be fair, we're just doing the programming, so as far as we're concerned, it's internal name is 'Five Week'. As soon as the May 4th deadline reaches, I'm hoping we'll take what we have forward and start working towards the June 20th deadline, wherein the project is already internally named 'DataRun'; although I should stress that this is probably a fairly different project from Five Week / Timetrial.

#107 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

I believe you can sink it into the floor to hide the base

Unfortunately not. UT replaces the Bases properly when rebuilding. But the bases are no big problem.

Are you sure you have all the packages from the content section of the SVN? I'm not convinced.

Yes. I have the 8 files available in the latest revision.

we're just doing the programming, so as far as we're concerned, it's internal name is 'Five Week'.

I am referring just to the naming users installing and playing the project can see. That means filenames, name of the gametype and so forth. Those should be renamed to TimeTrial_ ..

As soon as the May 4th deadline reaches, I'm hoping we'll take what we have forward and start working towards the June 20th deadline, wherein the project is already internally named 'DataRun'; although I should stress that this is probably a fairly different project from Five Week / Timetrial.

I got a little afraid when i read this because we can not delay the deadline. I got an e-mail today that i will have to present the finished project to my teachers between may 4th and the 11th. That means we need to be feature complete and fully functional at may 4th. We can not delay any important tasks behind that date.
Now i know it's getting intense. And i know that you guys are just doing this for the fun and/or to get your name out at the presentation and exhibition. For me it is a little different. That project determines if i get my degree or not. That's what i've worked for in the last 4 (pretty hard) years and where i invested all my money into. If we fail.. well, then i am fucked. Royally fucked. That's why it's very important to me to finish in time (preferably a couple days earlier).

There is also a legal issue with continuing the project. Because it is developed as a project at the "school for applied science of arts zurich" they legaly own the rights to the project. We are not allowed to publish it or sell it (as example) without their agreement. If we/you continue the work on the project it should look like a different game. That means another name, not the same levels / textures and so on. I dont think they would sue you if they'd find out, but just to let you know.

#108 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

I just uploaded the mapfile and a contentpackage to SVN. It's a basic level-shell containing a main area and 4 separate level sections, teleporters, volumes and TimeBonus pickups. I will build the level based on that shell. If you want to you can use the map for testing and development.

DM-Timetrial.ut3
TimeTrial.upk

Edited by R0n1n, 27 April 2008 - 06:39 PM.

#109 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

I believe you can sink it into the floor to hide the base

Unfortunately not. UT replaces the Bases properly when rebuilding. But the bases are no big problem.

I'll take a look at it for a few minutes if I get stumped somewhere else, a fix is likely not very difficult.

we're just doing the programming, so as far as we're concerned, it's internal name is 'Five Week'.

I am referring just to the naming users installing and playing the project can see. That means filenames, name of the gametype and so forth. Those should be renamed to TimeTrial_ ..

You can do this on your end quite easily just before your distribution (it saves everyone else the hassle of having to switch too); if you rename the folder containing the scripts, then the script package will be called the same as the folder. Renaming the individual files is also easy - just make sure you change the name of the class on the first line, and make sure you do a search within the files for 'fiveweek' - these should all be in the default properties, and you can change the class references here.

As soon as the May 4th deadline reaches, I'm hoping we'll take what we have forward and start working towards the June 20th deadline, wherein the project is already internally named 'DataRun'; although I should stress that this is probably a fairly different project from Five Week / Timetrial.

I got a little afraid when i read this because we can not delay the deadline. I got an e-mail today that i will have to present the finished project to my teachers between may 4th and the 11th. That means we need to be feature complete and fully functional at may 4th. We can not delay any important tasks behind that date.

I said May 4th, because that's the deadline you gave us earlier in the week, with the 11th being the final date for your hand in (thus a week after we wanted to be finished). This would mean wrapping up all our work on the 3rd next weekend. If this is the case, then that gives us one week, so we should consider the project 'feature locked' as of this point, rather than what I was expecting to be next week. The rest would then fall into improvement work; fixing up outstanding issues and cleaning up what we do have. I'll also ensure you get a list of required files to include in the distributable; some of the files in the content folder aren't required and are from my work with Darknet.

Until your deadline, we'll continue to work on your project, regardless of whether it has anything to do with the design / implementation I have in mind for DataRun.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, nothing is missing from the original design spec? As for powerups, if you wanted to include any, there is always the jump boots too, although I would expect your level design to hopefully be largely complete by now? If we would want another power-up, I think I could quickly knock up a 'super-speed' power up tonight.

There is also a legal issue with continuing the project. Because it is developed as a project at the "school for applied science of arts zurich" they legaly own the rights to the project. We are not allowed to publish it or sell it (as example) without their agreement. If we/you continue the work on the project it should look like a different game. That means another name, not the same levels / textures and so on. I dont think they would sue you if they'd find out, but just to let you know.

The code is ours, the assets are yours to hand over to the school. This won't present any problems, because all our code is governed by the Lesser Open Unreal License; you're free to use it as you please so long as credit is given where credit is due. The school cannot make any more claims over our code than they can over the original UT3 code from which it is derived. You can nab the license details from here:
http://wiki.beyondun...nrealModLicense

Not that it matters; the project is very different, of that you can be assured; the only similarity shared is the emphasis on speed-running the environment. You'll of course be welcome to stick with us until the end on the second half of the project too, but it's understandeable if you don't want to be a part of it.

#110 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

I think I could quickly knock up a 'super-speed' power up tonight.

That's the missing powerup i was reffering too originally :blink: Would love to have that ingame.

About the legal issue: It is something with swiss law. They cant claim your code of course. Only the rights to publish and/or sell it. That's why i chose a "big" engine. To deny them from making any money or advertise using this project. But as long as it's called DataRun and uses new levels your fine anyway.

although I would expect your level design to hopefully be largely complete by now?

Not quite. I have to big parts done, but i still need to stich it all together and then make it look good. However you should be able to work with the level i uploaded (DM-Timetrial). It's basically the same as the big one. Just simplified and ugly ^^

#111 xiongmao

xiongmao
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hi guys,
I've been outside all day.
How about msn meeting tomorrow evening (let's say 8PM) ? (I have no skype account)

#112 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Good idea. My MSN woudl be: "life4rolling@hotmail.com"

Btw.. does anyone know if i can set the UnrealEd to our Gametype so i can testplay in the editorwindow? Starting up UT3 everytime to test something eats up so much time..

#113 xiongmao

xiongmao
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:01 AM

I'll add your address this evening, hope Luke can be there ...

Set Default Gametype ?
You can add extra arguments to the command line as follow:
-useunpublished -nomoviestartup -windowed -resx=640 -resy=480 -onethread -novsync -log -nosplash

#114 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

I don't get home normally until after 8PM GMT - that's 9PM your time, so I wouldn't be able to make that.

You can set the game types in the editor. It's in the WorldInfo actor, under supported game types. I believe the editor plays it as the first in that list.

#115 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

I added a To-Do list to the Wiki.
http://sheelabs.game...le=5weekproject

Edited by R0n1n, 28 April 2008 - 06:19 PM.

#116 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

I'm trying to track down the pain sounds, but it's proving tricky. I'd have assumed it was part of TakeDamage, but it's not that obvious. I'm looking at the PlayHit function, and it seems like it's what we need. But it's a big bastards "generic catch all" function, so we'll need to over-write it with something meaningful, rather than just commenting it out. I think I might make a custom damage type for the consume volume, and tell the function not to do anything if we have this type.

Edited by ambershee, 29 April 2008 - 01:44 PM.

#117 xiongmao

xiongmao
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

Here are my comments

When you enter the Finish_Volume and press Esc (menu opens) and the Scoreboard appears my game seems to freeze(or at least it ignores any input made by the user).

There is no freeze, this is the standard game end. When reaching FinishVolume, player enter in state "RoundEnded".

The Hud (F1) with the score should be brought up automatically when entering the Finish_Volume

Seen yesterday evening, the scoreboard is displayed after 4seconds, this time can be decreased in state RoundEnded in FiveWeek_PlayerController

If the Player dies through the Consume_Volume he should be treated like if he reached the Finish_Volume (stop timers, show scoreboard, respawn afterwards) with the differece that we show another Message "You were not fast enough!Try again.."

I'll do that this evening

When leaving the Start_Volume the Message "Player has leaved safe area" should be changed to "Go!" [Xiongmao ?]

Seen yesterday evening, it can be changed in the FiveWeek.ini

We should output a Message like when leaving the Start_Volume when entering the Finish_Volume. "Congratulations!You
beat this level!"

I'll do that this evening

#118 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

Well, I got rid of the pain sounds alright. Just need to stop that bloody red screen thing from showing.

Edit: Never mind. That was easy. I kept looking in the damage type which controls the appearance of it. It's actually told to draw in the HUD. Consider it solved.

Ron1n: If you want to keep the distortion effect, delete the function called DisplayHit from FiveWeek_HUD. You can set what colour this appears, but changing the HitEffectColour in FiveWeek_DmgTyopeConsume.

Edit: SuperSpeed is now mostly functional.

Edited by ambershee, 29 April 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#119 R0n1n

R0n1n
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

When you enter the Finish_Volume and press Esc (menu opens) and the Scoreboard appears my game seems to freeze(or at least it ignores any input made by the user).

There is no freeze, this is the standard game end. When reaching FinishVolume, player enter in state "RoundEnded".

But you never get out of that state and cant make any input. Only solution is to alt & tab out and close it (if in windowmode) oder ctrl & alt & delete.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Reach FinishVolume
2. Press Esc before scoreboard appears
3. Wait until the scoreboard appears

Maybe it's a local problem. Please verify that

#120 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm going to continue twiddling with the speed power up, as I'm not totally convinced player speed is changing much. I've been playing with motion blur. It seems the game over-writes the level settings in this regard, cutting motion blur out of the post process settings, enabled or otherwise. I'll have to look into that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users