#1 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

Post your suggestions for version 3.0 here.

Edited by Speeder, 11 July 2011 - 08:47 PM.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2 Ravicai

Ravicai
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:02 AM

I like the current country choices. I just think the special units need to be tweaked, although it's too early for me to say how because I'm still acclimating to MO.

I do have one strong opinion though. The Centurion is awesome, but severely unbalanced against Allied.

Centurion cost: 4000

Cost to bring down a Centurion with a direct assault: 10000-15000

Nuff said. Either raise the cost of the Centurion, or give the Allies their own ub3r unit.... hmmm... that sounds tasty :unsure:
Forum Posts < Real Life Experience

#3 SMxReaver

SMxReaver

Pro Gamer in Training

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 399 posts
  • Projects:None ATM
  •  StarCraft 2
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Staff

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

Shredding up all the MO progress you made, Speeder? Well, if you're to start, you might as well look for your best work to see what you can do (MO 2.0 psi). Reusing the old sides is fine, and it would allow for you to save some work. However, you need to consider everything dependent upon the NPatch more than just everything in general. You'd keep a lot of your old work and older fans.

If you're going to release a non-patch mod, I'm in full support of it. I'll beta-test for you if needed. I've got a record as a decent tester. Having worked for Bolt and Fenring, either of them could tell you I'm going to do my job. I have a keen eye for balance and bugs, and understanding modding so I could come up with workarounds or help out with anything else you may need.

@Ravicai: Speeder tried to get people to post about other hero units for the Allies and Yuri, but no one showed interest. Also, Centurion balance is probably the biggest thing about this mod at the moment. My personal recommendations for the Centurion would be a slight hare slower, make the cannon effective more towards only buildings or tanks, not both, and no occupiers that can fire outside the unit. It might seem like a bit much, but it isn't much considering the Centurion is an OmniCrusher.

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:27 AM

Honestly, I'd leave the specials as you had them already. They seemed to fit pretty well and didn't have any major oversights, or supreme overpowering except for the Blizzard Tank. So to put it simply, don't reinvent the wheel; leave as much in tact as possible since it worked really well.

My opinion on the Centurion - ditch the whole fucking thing. I've hated it since day one and that damn thing is my major hangup about MO. Until it's gone, I really am unable to fully enjoy MO.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

@Beowulf:Not quite.I'd actually like to see the game more balanced via seeing new stuff.I'd like to see an equal number of subfactions per faction.

Now,about sides:

1. Bulgaria(some variation,please :p )
2. Allegiance: Soviet
3. Country specific unit - Well,2 ideas:
A:Mine layer thingie.
B:Rad tank,like,deploy it and acts like some sort of Desolator.But with bigger cost,and,well,dunno about armor...
4. Country speciality - Nuclear stuff/pre-planned stuff(like,lets say,speed and,well,not defense,the ability to pre-do stuff.)

Also 2 other subfactions for Epsilon.No idea what,but you'll find out :p

#6 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

1. Country name: Australia

2. Allegiance: Allied

3. Country specific unit proposal - Ok, a number of possible country specific units for Australia:
-A unit like the Hover MRLS in Tib Sun, possibly a replacement for IFV
-An amphibious transport of some sort, maybe something like the ASLAV
-A non-amphibious transport of some sort, like the Bushmaster
-An Infantry unit. One concept i came up with was a replacement GI called the 'ANZAC Infantry'(ANZAC stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corp. [i didn't just make that up, Aus and NZ have a closely tied army, etc]), which after a while i settled on the idea that its exactly the same as the GI, but only costs 100. Other then that possibly have it like a Gi that is also amphibious or some other benefits. Whatever you see fit really*
-maybe a battle bunker type thing? If you notice most of the suggestions are somewhat infatry based, as apparently Australia has good infantry

((Here is some info on Australia's army if you don't want to use any of the suggestions i made, you can atleast get a basic idea of some of Australia's stuff
http://en.wikipedia....Australian_Army
http://en.wikipedia....Australian_Army ))

4. Country specialty -
i'm not quite sure what exactly goes here. or really what Australia should have by way of the 'country specialty', but when researching Australias Army i came across:

In fact the Australian Army is known to produce troops and units with a very high standard of jungle warfare, patrolling, ambushing and other infantry skills.

so Perhaps this could help with what to give Australia by way of a 'specialty'
Maybe Australian units could be slightly cheaper, or just infantry are cheaper, or infantry are better somehow(high damage, or health/armor, etc) or... i don't know. I don't want to cause conflicts with any other countries, i mean if some other country already 'owns' that benefit and you think its more fitting to have it then Australia could have something else. As for unit veterancy also i'm not quite sure, thats if you include that under country specialties.

*The above quote could also be taken into consideration when it comes to the unit special

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 18 August 2009 - 08:40 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

I am not shredding up the progress, I am rewriting MO from scratch so I can avoid any bugs and critical errors. There was one in 2.5 beta which made the game freeze up after 30 minutes, also - the game itself was pretty laggy after some time of play so I decided to rewrite everything. Without unstable NPatch. When Ares comes out, I'll try to redo as much stuff that was based on NPatch as possible, although it will take more time for DCoder and staff to finish Ares than it will for me to complete next release candidate. I won't stop working after release of Ares-less version, remember.

And we are all going to balance that bastard people. :p ATM Centurion is pretty easy to be dealt with (I mean, in my current build) so I think balancing of this mechanical monster won't be a problem, although it's still a high priority.

I've taken some suggestions from you Beowulf, still. They are already implemented.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#8 Garrick

Garrick
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:04 AM

given the involment of China in the plotline, i believe their unfriendly, nationalistic island neighbour can make a fine addition to the other side

Country Name:Dai Nippon Teikoku - Known in the West as Japanese Empire
Allegiance: Allies

Country Specific proposal
a) A powered armor infantry like this unusued WW concept for TD Power Armor concept
b) an improved carrier plane (Maybe a nod to the J7 Shinden-Kai concept?)

Country Speciality
National Zeal: Their GI, Guardian GIs and SEALs have more health. Also, once critically wounded, they can cling to life enough to crawl in range of their enemies and still shoot at them (Cyborg logic leftover from TS)

Ok, flame away if you wish.

#9 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

Why flame? :p Suggestions are always welcome! :p

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#10 SMxReaver

SMxReaver

Pro Gamer in Training

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 399 posts
  •  StarCraft 2

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

Until Speeder uses an injector, please remember there will be no new sides in the game.

Nice to hear you're rewriting to prevent lag / bugs. And even more glad to hear the Centurion fix you have.

What does fate hold for the campaigns? You've got one of the only mods with well-developed custom campaigns, and a few people I talked to would miss them.

#11 Hecthor Doomhammer

Hecthor Doomhammer

Live Streamer

• Project Team
  • 1,282 posts
  • Projects:Livestreams
  •  C&C mods Livestreamer

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

1. Country name - Sweden
2. Allegiance - Allied
3. Country specific unit proposal - Since it's aCOLD country, I suggest giving a COLD Tech like the BLIZZARD tank (same old same old, perhaps slightly better armored) No sence in givng a warmer country a cold tech
4. Country speciality - Infantry +15% armor cuz of the better and more clothing :p

IF you tend to use the Centurion for Soviets, I really would like to se a Hero TANK for the Allied as well: the Stormbringer Tank (see YR:RS)
For Yuri we could use a Chaos Tank, capable of shooting choas gas to units and inf and strong shells vs buildings

Streamer of Rise of the Reds, Mental Omega and other mods

xqbQD6S.jpg

#12 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

@modder666: Missions will of course remain. Unless Ares enables third campaign button, there are still workarounds.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#13 Ravicai

Ravicai
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

The Centurion is a lot of fun. I'm glad it's staying. I think the proper way to view it is like a superweapon. Nukes and Weather Storms cost 5000 and a lot of power, right? Well, the Hero unit should be something comparable. If each side had a Hero unit... now that would just be awesome ;) Whatever the allies get, it should definitely be something that focuses on mobility over strength (which is what allies are all about).

The only other imbalance I've noted (so far) is the MiGs. To me it seems strange that the soviets would go from having no jets (Yuri) to having the best jets, especially considering they already have Kirovs. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have jets, but they seem a lot more powerful then allied jets (even if you are playing S.Korea).
Harriers and Black Eagles are most effective against tanks and other aircraft.
Barracudas are effective against buildings.
MiGs are effective against everything (even radial damage against infantry). 6 can take out a construction yard! Why bother with Kirovs?

As far as country specific units: I think the sniper should go back to being a country specific unit. Having the ability to snipe rocketeers, while being realistic, makes them overly powerful. They virtually rule out an infantry raid on your base, especially if they're sitting in an IFV or Battle Fortress. Thank god they can't go into buildings.

#14 SMxReaver

SMxReaver

Pro Gamer in Training

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 399 posts
  •  StarCraft 2

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:54 AM

MiGs have to reload. Kirovs are always nearby. I'd much use a Kirov over a MiG anyday. The raw destructive power behind a Kirov is too potent to ignore.

I'd be very interested to see what you produce for a workaround for 3rd campaigns.

#15 Ravicai

Ravicai
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

Japan is a great idea. Historically, they've always been a bigger threat then Korea.

1. Country name: Japan
3. Country specific unit proposal: Some sort of cheap, fast, and light fighter jet. Maybe a kamikaze attack: once critically damaged, immediately begins to veer toward nearest enemy building/unit. No ejecting.
4. Country speciality: Infantry speed/armor bonus.

#16 Garrick

Garrick
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

MiGs have to reload. Kirovs are always nearby. I'd much use a Kirov over a MiG anyday. The raw destructive power behind a Kirov is too potent to ignore.

I'd be very interested to see what you produce for a workaround for 3rd campaigns.

Actually there is no need for a workaround, except a simple change in the structure of menus. There are alredy 3 campaigns in vanilla Ra2: The Training campaign ini-wise is a complete campaign on its own. you just need to re-add the button (with changed graphics of course)

Japan is a great idea. Historically, they've always been a bigger threat then Korea.

1. Country name: Japan
3. Country specific unit proposal: Some sort of cheap, fast, and light fighter jet. Maybe a kamikaze attack: once critically damaged, immediately begins to veer toward nearest enemy building/unit. No ejecting.
4. Country speciality: Infantry speed/armor bonus.

I don't know how something like that deathweapon would be possible to code, sadly. And also suicidal pilots began to appear as Japan was pushed heavily on the defensive during WW2, at wich point they began trying desperate tactics. The first Tokkotai (Special attack, read suicide) unit was formed in late(october) 1944 after the loss of Guadalcanal campaign (and there Yamamoto Isoroku, their most experienced admiral, found death) and the Mariana-Palau islands (and with that, hundreds of experienced pilots and three aircraft carriers).

Edited by Garrick, 19 August 2009 - 07:52 AM.

#17 SMxReaver

SMxReaver

Pro Gamer in Training

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 399 posts
  •  StarCraft 2

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

But the fact that adding a button is an exe-editing level of a job is why I'm interested to see what Speeder does.

Save games from the beginning of each Yuri level could be done. XD

#18 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Gosh, you've seen through my plans! Replacing 'Load Game' with 'Mission Selection', n0es! :good:

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#19 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Except mod launcher doesnt replace existing files, so if they already have a save with the same name, your screwed. :good:

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

Shhh... I'll think up some genious, original savegame filenames. :good:

mainbanner.jpg