• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

I am pretty sure the Gondorians were better than the people of Rhun, and Gondor was taking on Mordor, Harad, and Rhun. Gondorians had much better armor. Rhun was just the closest to match the Gondorians in equipment. Gondorians should have much better armour. It looked like (in the movies) that the men of Rhun had bronze with some iron.

The Gondorian armor looked like iron, maybe even steel.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#42 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

The reason we can't have ALL Rhun and Harad units represented in this faction is that it would make the faction feel too much like a truncated mess of units doing the same thing... I know we have that in Gondor/Rohan, and it would make no scence at this stage to duplicate that. Let's just say that in these war times, they gathered more differentiated strenght from both regions. For Beta 4.8 I'd like to separate BOTH Rohan from Gondor AND Harad from Rhun, but considering the amount of work needed to just finish Beta 4.7, there is no chance in hell I can pull that off without a much bigger modding team...

We'll see.

Edited by Nazgûl, 17 October 2009 - 10:30 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#43 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

I'll translate wotj as work. :)

Just as a note, the Easterlings were a great part (if not all) of the army that attacked Dale/Erebor.

For 4.7, I'd say keep it simple, and stick to what's in the main faction thread. These other units will have more of a place after a split.
Greetings, community.

#44 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Oh. My. God. You don't need to split a faction just to add two units and two heroes. Just follow the coding guides on the3rdage.net, and you'll be able to have a fully-functioning Rhun/Harad. Units are not the only thing, though. There's also NON-faction-split-requiring upgrades, and only two. Fortress upgrade, and unit upgrade.

You also need a spell tree, possibly one that looks like a sort of reskinned cross between Gondor/Rohan's and Mordor's.

>Unless you already did this, then I'm the one needing work :)

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#45 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

Great idea for splitting up the factions! i always though they should be split up, you can't just call them the Evil men faction, RHUN AND HARAD. Please make the Rohan faction actually have a REAL swordsmen.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#46 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

I am pretty sure the Gondorians were better than the people of Rhun, and Gondor was taking on Mordor, Harad, and Rhun. Gondorians had much better armor. Rhun was just the closest to match the Gondorians in equipment. Gondorians should have much better armour. It looked like (in the movies) that the men of Rhun had bronze with some iron.

The Gondorian armor looked like iron, maybe even steel.

It seemed to me that Rhûnic soldiers were the "elites" of the enemy. One on one, without any advantages but the skill with weapons, Rhûnic soldiers won't have much trouble coping with the Gondorians. Gondor, however, possesses several key fortresses that helped them defend against Rhûnic invasions (which I think is inspired upon the Persian invasions of ancient Greece).

Imo, Rhûn should have a hard spine in their army, with as little units as possible. Their soldiers can serve as both Swordsmen and Spearman, if the old design of BFME1 is reincorporated (is it, Naz?). Those soldiers were way more like the movies and had a more Elite feeling. The ones in BFME2 are comparable to the underpowered Tower Guards, which I didn't like.
Anyways, the hard spine can be combined in forces with some chariot cavalry and archers, but that's about it, if you ask me.

Just my two cents!
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#47 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

Just follow the coding guides on the3rdage.net, and you'll be able to have a fully-functioning Rhun/Harad.

Really? That simple? Omg, I wish I knew that sooner... :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#48 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:20 AM

The important thing is deciding what units best fit into the faction. Having the ability to add them is not a problem (except in special cases perhaps,) but adding units is not always an improvement. Having two nearly identical units int he same faction is not really fun to play. It can be confusing and it is overkill. Even if they are different levels of power, there shouldn't really be any two units with the same purpose in the same faction. Until a split, Gondor/Rohan and Rhun/Harad will have some of these, but I think adding any new units to this faction would be bad for gameplay at this time.

By leaving them out until later, you can decrease the time before beta 4.7 and also increase the quality of the faction for that beta. Various new units will be needed to supplement for Harad and Rohan (and maybe Rhun, though probably not Gondor) when the factions are split.

Edited by Nazgûl, 18 October 2009 - 08:26 PM.

Greetings, community.

#49 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:40 AM

i would rather gondor/rohan split in beta v, but keep rhun and harad together. that way, theres 4 good factions againts 4 eeeviilll factions. it would actually be like the war of the ring then:

elves vs goblins (out of dol guldur and moria)
rohan vs isengard
gondor vs mordor
dwarves vs rhun

also, theres not much source material on either rhun or harad, so i think its best if we stick with one corrupted men faction
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Theres not much source material on either rhun or harad, so i think its best if we stick with one corrupted men faction

What about "Variags of Khand" they never exist on movie,SEE is suppose to focus on movie lore but in this case if they want to split Rhun/Harad , I guess they have to use some material to complete both faction. :)

That just my opinion though :p
Posted Image

#51 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

... theres not much source material on either rhun or harad ...

If you search for it, there are enough lore scattered around in Tolkien's writings ... even to make two complete factions out of Rhún and Harad ... and without resorting to non-Tolkien lore.

... I'll post some lore concerning these peoples in a separate topic (later, when I can squeeze some spare time out of my real life). :p

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#52 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, I think they do need to be split, but since the six faction thing is ruined anyway, another good faction would be cool, too, eventually. Northmen, maybe, or split Elves into two, or something.
Greetings, community.

#53 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

*cleansed thread from argument*

@EotE: The reason I was ironic and Dant too, was that you were walking slightly on thin ice with that post... See the rules #5 right HERE! That means that you should not make modding sound easy unless you're fully in grasp with what you're talking about OR ready to step in and help out / do it yourself :p Modding at the level of SEE is VERY hard, since we have many advanced AI systems etc that doesn't really apply to just adding new models. There is a LOT more to it than that. So be careful of how you state your suggestions, as they might come across as disrespectful. Even though I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intention. I deleted your post as well as Dant's "mockery" of the same, to be fair ^_^ I hope you'll stay with us =)

Back on topic guys :good:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users