#21 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Just seen it. Loving the "Rhosgobel Rabbits" :p and glad that we get to see Radagast's power, though Azog was unexpected.
I guess people round here are tired of hearing such things, but a Hobbit mod made out of TDH, and Mathijs' stuff would be.... Well, epic!

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#22 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

I didn't like things:

First: the changes in how Bilbo meets the dwarves the next morning. I would have preferred Bilbo agreeing to go and oversleeping,then gandalf coming along and giving him a literal nudge out the door.

Second: finding the ring. I would have preferred Bilbo to have found it and say the same thing as in fotr.

Minor niggles but they mess with my perfectionism

#23 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Good points NJM, but my major niggle was with Azog. Why was he included, and he doesn't seem to have had as much work put into him as Gothmog in lotr, and looks... Well, wrong.
But still loved it!!!

#24 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Am I the only one who thought Azog rocked in the movie :p.

#25 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Ah, yes, the finding of the ring. I, too, found it a bit unsatisfactory. In fact, much of the "Bilbo underground" part in the movie weren't like I'd hoped, then again, given how much fighting there was in there, it was probably for the best to see Bilbo taking an entirely different route. But I still think they should've let him found the ring in less of a "look watchers of this movie, Gollum is dropping the ring of power (you know it!) right now, right here!"
They should've made it more unknown that it was in the book. Yes, if you've read\seen LotR, you know what it is. But in The Hobbit book, he just finds a ring. In the movie, it's already screaming "this ring is da shit"

As for Azog, well... I didn't particulary like the whole "Azog and his gang of "bounty hunters" are hunting Thorin and his company" plot.. I just didn't feel like it added anything to the film.

And as a last comment, anyone else seeing the obvious entries that are in the film, due to it being a trilogy now? :p Things that you could, basically, rip out of the film without any harm being done? Of course some info would have to be told in a different way, but there's much non-crucial stuff for it too.. As a fan though, much is great!
My list would probably be:
- Everything with Radagast.
- The Azog plot, probably..
- A few of the walking scenes. There were quite a bit of them wandering the wilds, a few too many in my view.

I thought I had more, but somone else can probably fill it in.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#26 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

I, uuuhh, liked everything about the film :xd:. Though in my opinion there should be just ONE more awesome fight scene, maybe one more with the Azog group.

Edited by Fredius, 16 December 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#27 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Nawww, Radagast was the best bit for me! :p

#28 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ah, recalled another one! The White Council part.

And I wasn't talking about what bits were good or not Bofur, but what was essential for the movie or not. The Radagast parts weren't.
But my views on this are of course based on The Hobbit book's story, not the other things PJ has brought in. As in, those parts don't belong in The Hobbit section of the film, but in the Misc section. I don't mind it though. It's a great way for non-readers to learn a bit more of the lore.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#29 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Radagast was the best supporting character in the movie. This cannot be disputed.

#30 seemann

seemann
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

I just saw the movie tonight. I will just say that i was expecting something under LOTR and for me it was even lower then my expectations. I still loved and i will still go to the cinema to see it at least once but i wanted more. Even if the graphics looked awsome and the places were breathtaking it just lacked the dramatism from LOTR.

Don't get me started on the music: the ..over the mountains theme was all that i heard new in all of the 2.45 hours. Come one .. they invented 3 diferent themes for lotr .. all of theme unique and all of them brilliant and here it's just 1 song! And thorin charging azog on a nazgul theme was the lowest momment for me! come on that was the highest point of the movie and not only you can't invent something new but you take an "evil" song and give it to the pozitive hero? :(( . Maybe when i will watch the movie the second time i will hear some more soundtrack that i have missed.

I loved Erebor, the dwarven armours..adn all the looks in general althow some times they looked too CGi'ed .. too cartoonish .. too unreal.

The action was epic althow most of the times there were too many places that you must look at in the same time and you would miss most of them :( .. the action was too fast.

I loved Thranduil's looks! this for me was a win! and the fact that he didn't speak added to his misterious cold look.
I loved the looks of Galadriel and Elrond - verry elegant!

I didn't like Azog. Althow the claw was a win the simpleness of his aparence (no armor no anything) and his pale white skin was too much of a contrast whit the dwarven looks.

I liked verry much the "oaken shield" - the one he droped when lifted by the eagles.

Oh .. what's the story with the swords? Sting and Glamdring should be blue most of the movie and yet they are not! did i miss something? For example when Bilbo kills a warg before starting climbing the trees the sword is not blue althow Azog and his companions were near.

You can start cursing me now but keep in mind this is just my opinion.

Edited by seemann, 17 December 2012 - 01:36 AM.

Apocaliptica & Nina Hagen - seemann

#31 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Wait, what?

You say they invented 3 different themes for LotR, yet you complain that there's just 1 theme for this first movie in the Hobbit trilogy? :p But what themes do you talk about? Rohan, Hobbits and Elves have their own, other than that I can't remember. I can't recall anything that screams Gondor or other themes, but it's been a while since I saw the movies.. Did Nazguls have their own theme? And when I'm talking about themes, I'm talking about atleast 3-4 different songs with the same theme, not just a stand-out song. But damnit, I can't remember the Nazgul theme playing when Thorin charged, I'll have to watch it again :p

But I do agree that the dwarven theme was used perhaps a tad too much. Everytime they fought, and everytime they moved in the big shots.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#32 seemann

seemann
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

Gondor had!!! a standalone theme! I will try to make a sinthesis .. just hold on

Just listen after 1.00 ..it is unmistakable:

Also this one after 1.55

Edited by seemann, 17 December 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#33 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

I've seen the movie 2 times, there is a new song that plays at the part where he runs through the Shire and screams "I'm going on an adventure!!!11!1!". That song has something from LOTR though xP.

#34 seemann

seemann
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

yep .. i like the fact that they bring back songs from lotr but my complain is that that's all that is cool + the new over the mountains song. I didn't hear anything else that remained with me after the movie's ending

Edited by seemann, 17 December 2012 - 02:00 AM.

#35 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

I got the extended version of the Hobbit Soundtrack on the ninth. Yes, there are themes that are appropriate to be re-used.
The themes that have been re-used are the Shire theme (which has been extended to include a new piece), Evil theme (The vocals are not Song of the Nazgul - they are about something different) and the Elvish theme (which has been "remixed" or modded).

The Dwarven theme is new (Misty Mountains and Over Hill), there are some new Goblin/Hunter Orc themes (Under Hill and Warg Scouts), Radagast has a massive theme song for himself and I have 33 more pieces of music that I can add. ;p

Sooo.... go and watch it again and listen.

My favourite is the extended version of the Song of the Lonely Mountain 100 plays so far. =p

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#36 seemann

seemann
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I might be wrong .. i mean ..after a movie like LOTR it's hard to be impresed by anything else, specially when it comes to music. I think the music from lotr was the first thing i liked about it.
Come on .. tell me 1 song in The Hobbit to be compared to May it be :)

Edited by seemann, 17 December 2012 - 02:06 AM.

#37 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

That's Enya... Enya trumps.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#38 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Evil theme (The vocals are not Song of the Nazgul - they are about something different)

It is different in the soundtrack but in the movie, no. Thorin charging Azog was definitely the Revelation of the Ringwraiths. I've listened to that theme over a hundred times by now and I know I heard it play during that scene.

#39 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

Thank you for correcting me on the name.

Are you so sure about it?

These are the lyrics for Revelation of the Ringwraiths.
Nêbâbîtham Magânanê
Nêtabdam dâurad
Nêpâm nêd abârat-aglar
îdô Nidir nênâkham
Bârî'n Katharâd

First part of the song here.
http://youtu.be/Fp8NgO6at70

Does the Hobbit have a piece like this?

I have only checked The Defiler, An Ancient Enemy and The Hill of Sorcery, they have lyrics, but they do not sound like Revelation of the Ringwraiths. It also seems like I am missing a lot of soundtrack regardless which is why I posted the song above for others to check.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 17 December 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#40 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Ahhh I get what you mean...

I dont think the lyrics are the same, but the instrument motif is.

Sorry about that confusion. :facepalm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users