Hobbit Spoiler Topic

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#41 fagerstrm

fagerstrm
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

I thought the movie was great but as many of you said there were things that I didn't like. The humour at the wrong places, first as Saruman confronts Gandalf in Rivendell. Gandalf then explain what Radagast told him about the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. Saruman says Radagast has been eating to many mushrooms and he already warned him about this. I love Cristopher Lee, his apperance alone is worth a ticket to see The Hobbit but it would have been even better if they wouldn't have included that line in the script, the scene is tense at first and it felt like I was lost after that. What do you think? The second example is when the Goblin King puts an end to Gandalf & the dwarfs escape. I can't remember what he says, exactly, but something like "What could you do to kill me?" and it ends with him saying "That would do it". :-)

Due to some password trouble and what not I lost access to my old account, Jonasking.

#42 Naugrim.

Naugrim.
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Agreed, I thought the humorous goblins and trolls gave The Hobbit a weird tone that didn't really fit with that of LOTR. True, The Hobbit was a children's book, but I think they should've kept the funny parts in appropriate scenes, like at the meeting at Bag End.

#43 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

For humour, I can agree with the Great Goblins death. It was simply.. well, it was weird.

And yeah, Gondor do have their own theme.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#44 seemann

seemann
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

so what about the glowing swords? am i right that they should have been blue most of the time and yet they worn't?

"Like all High-Elven swords, Glamdring is supposed to glow with a blue or white flame when Orcs (or Balrogs) are near, like Frodo's sword Sting and Thorin Oakenshield's sword Orcrist, which were also made in Gondolin. However this was left out of the Lord of the Rings movies by New Line Cinema because they felt it would be confusing." - source : http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Glamdring

Edited by seemann, 17 December 2012 - 11:48 PM.

Apocaliptica & Nina Hagen - seemann

#45 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

I can understand it regarding Glamdring. I mean, when Frodo\Bilbo has a glowing swords, we usually think "Shit, orcs are near these poor souls". Gandalf however, isn't in danger. And he's also got a big-ass sword compared to Sting, and I'm sure they tried to add the effect, but found that it stood out too much. Same for Orcrist. These are big swords. I'm not even sure that Sting is a sword. More of a letter-opener, really..

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#46 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Letter opener good one. I'm sure they were also thinking the swords would look like light sabers too. I'm fine with sting doing the only glowing.

Azog looks fine to me and I don't mind him being alive and after thorin. I think it simplified things by not having dain and nain at the battle outside moria.

Nain dieing does nothing to drive our characters, it does serve to propel dain but his appearance will be later and is more as a sign of kinship rather than vengeance.

I do find it too coincidental that azogs hunting party just happens upon them when they are on the road. I would have preferred it be random orcs. Azogs arrival would be better served if it had only been after the goblin messenger was sent.

#47 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Bolg is the offspring of Azog the Desecarator – like his father, he is huge pale orc. He is the overseer in the dungeons of Dol Guldur – torturing is his hobby. He garnishes his armor with the bones and the blood of his victims. This husky Orc fears nothing and nobody – until he suddenly meets an unexpected opponent.

Who thinks that the "unexpected opponent" will be Gandalf, or Radagast?

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#48 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I vote Legolas!

No, seriously, I vote Beorn.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#49 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Oh yes, I forgot about that! Unless it means in Dol Guldur.... But he's had noone to torture yet, Dol Guldur's empty :p

#50 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I think he had Thrain to torture in the past.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#51 fagerstrm

fagerstrm
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

There was one thing I was wondering about troughout the film. And I'm not sure if it says something about it in the book, it's been to long since I read it but didn't Thorin look a bit more lika a man then a dwarf? :-)

Due to some password trouble and what not I lost access to my old account, Jonasking.

#52 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

In the film he allegedly kept his beard the same length as it was the day Erebor fell. He wouldn't give himself the honor of having a long beard worthy of a Longbeard until his house was reinstated.

#53 fagerstrm

fagerstrm
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Ohh, alright! Thanks mike!

#54 LadyRhiea

LadyRhiea

CPPB

• Project Team
  • 784 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I like how much screen time Kili got over Fili. Also, I really like how Thorin kept shouting Kili's name.

"KIILLLIII! NO. THE ROCKS."

"KILLLIIIIIII!!! SHOOT THE ORC!"

"KILLLIIII!!! RUNNN"

Also. I was wondering if they actually had Elrohir and Elladan as part of Elrond's hunting party when he rode back in Rivendell.

Posted Image

I'm not smoking anything, I'm just Japanese.

You guys better hope I don't get hired by EA one day, sorry, I meant interned for very low wages

#55 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

I can finally get to comment in this topic.

The whole Azog thing bugged me as did the Morgul Blade/Witch King bit which just didn't make sense and audibly had me saying "what?, what?" in the cinema.
I think I also saw Bolg there too.
I was looking foward to seeing Dain kill Azog but at least for now it's not happening.
I wonder if they have something planned for him in the second movie, but according to the book they don't meet any more Orcs until the Battle of 5 armies but I doubt that will stop them.

I was blown away by the scale of the movie and sequences in it so much bigger than I thought they'd be Goblin Town, Mountain Pass, Dale and Erebor.
Wow Erebor was incredible the second I saw it I depressed because it means I'll have to rework all of my Erebor designs.

I was disappointed a bit that certain Dwarves didn't really get any lines like Gloin and Bifur maybe their roles will be increased later.

The 3d was done very well even if it turns out I'm one of those people who get headaches from 3d.
I had to control the urge to swat the moth from my eyes during the Warg sequence.

I found the tone a little darker than I had heard people say and than the book I think it's darker than Fellowship especially with some of the beheadings and Thorin's backstory.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#56 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Bifur had an axe in his head and can only mumble Khuzdul....

#57 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I must agree about the witch kings back story. Its completely butchered. Galadriel clearly says he was alive and still a physical person during angmar. Which would mean he wasnt around during the battle of the last alliance and had fallen to sauron after. So he became a wraith after his body died, and the prophecy about him and his defeat by glorfindel is completely ignored.

#58 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Bolg is the offspring of Azog the Desecarator – like his father, he is huge pale orc. He is the overseer in the dungeons of Dol Guldur – torturing is his hobby. He garnishes his armor with the bones and the blood of his victims. This husky Orc fears nothing and nobody – until he suddenly meets an unexpected opponent.

This definitely smells of corrupted lore ... from where in the whole wide Middle-earth did you get that quote, Mater Bofur?
I suspect you are visiting "The Blue Parrot" too frequently. ;-)

Edited by Námo, 27 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#59 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Some "Official movie description" :p

#60 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

So, you are suggesting that Jackson's team got their lore from "the Blue Parrot" ?! ... Well, you might be right on that one, Master Dwarf.
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users