Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

We really should only need funding if we're planning on hosting a server or two (probably 1 is enough) for multiplayer. Can't really imagine what else would need money...

#62 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Well if we make some money on it it should go to Revora maintenance I'd reckon. If it becomes really popular the money should go back into more game development.

Now for the over-the-top fluff of it all. I'm suspecting my character will be a sort of Bowser/Donkey Kong kind of guy, with a crown and all haughty and armor and upper-class twit comments. "Piss off you Philistine!" "Duke it out!" "Curses!!!" "Let them eat Bullets!"

Also, I wonder if we can combine the shooting gameplay with a bit of a smash-bros style damage system. If you haven't taken damage you are less likely to be sent flying, if you have a ton of damage you will lose control right away on minor attacks and fly off the map on a proper one.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#63 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Make money? Phhh.... har. This won't even greenlight on Steam. Let's just focus on making this for practice, then make something else that would profit.

And are you already planning your character? You goober. Let's make this interesting and randomly assign people someone else's character to design. Like I could get Elfy and make the best character ever since he's probably the smartest guy I know, and Gen gets you Dukie, making you oddly shaped and oriental. That's it... we have a game.

"Duke it out!"

Yes.

#64 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Getting a bit ahead of yourselves aren't you?
Nothing has been done yet it's way to early to start talking about rights and profits.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#65 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Also, I wonder if we can combine the shooting gameplay with a bit of a smash-bros style damage system. If you haven't taken damage you are less likely to be sent flying, if you have a ton of damage you will lose control right away on minor attacks and fly off the map on a proper one.

Sounds incredible fun!

And are you already planning your character? You goober. Let's make this interesting and randomly assign people someone else's character to design. Like I could get Elfy and make the best character ever since he's probably the smartest guy I know, and Gen gets you Dukie, making you oddly shaped and oriental. That's it... we have a game.

This could work! However, we should have one guy to design us all, because it should sustain the same art-style.
We can create drafts, but it's a must that we have someone to refine all our design before the modelling phase.

I'm fine with anything, as long as I get to be the doc. :p

I can already see Phill as someone like the Monopoly guy, only with a DLoTS mask and loads of money.  :p

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#66 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

So... yeah, got a tad bored and made you a kart Pasidon.

Spoiler

I tried to make it really thick at the front like a Rage Hammer, but because your avatar's rather battered, I planned to texture it with emphasis on holes with an alpha channel. As you can tell, it's rather heavily influenced by MarioKart. I can scrap it or someone else can have it if you don't like it, it was only half an hour's work.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#67 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Needs bigger wheels for that comic proportion, also that front spoiler might cause a bit of clipping at times, but I guess we will have a individual collision mesh so it shouldn't matter.

Also add some exhaust tubes to the back of that thing. I recommend looking at the best-known (at least most tickets sold)Norwegian movie ever made, Flåklypa Grand prix

Here's a few pictures of Ill Tempo Gigante, the car that the characters make in that movie:

Spoiler

Anyway, not a Kart but chrome and tubes is an important part of a cart imo.

Edited by duke_Qa, 18 January 2013 - 09:11 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#68 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ooo, love my Kart, Felly.  It's got my bumper pimped out and ready to smash inferior bloggers.

Actually, on the note of the wheels, we should not design any of the karts with wheels.  Instead, we can make tons of customization wheel types and just have our kart body as the standard for each different racer.  One thing we can gain from this is figuring out how to design different game aspects, such as customization options and balancing.

#69 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Good god! You call that an exhaust? OK, yeah, I get the idea. Will post with a newly pimped-out version.

#70 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I think we should aim for simplicity first.

Just one type of kart shared by all caracters first, then we can start making individual and special karts for each one.

This would get us going faster in the right direction.

#71 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Indeed, a template Kart thats pretty generic and has all the bulletpoints is important. Make it nearly square from a top-down perspective and figure out how big the seat should be.

Storywise:

I'm thinking we need a sort of Kitchen-sink Multiverse thing here, where the different Kart drivers comes from different universes to do kart-battle for the multiverse continued existence or some other lofty item of desire. That way we can combine all sorts of silly backgrounds into one, and have a lot of fun with it at the same time.

#72 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I think the backstory is simple as it sounds. Revora is a community. We, gathered from all around the world to acheive the ULTIMATE COMMUNITY STATUS! :p

#73 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Well, its easier to forgive IP-changes if we assume a different universe than our own :p

#74 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I presume using ModDB as the main antagonist kart would be too far?

#75 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I'd rather use those that have left us behind as the enemies, with all due respect of course :p

#76 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

An idea for the standard kart, with big wheels:

Spoiler

OK, so it's a little over polygon budget, 3244 triangles.

#77 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

We can stay under the poly count if we do certain objects separate, like the wheels.  As mentioned by a similarly hansom individual earlier.  Also, we should have a live chat session to discuss ideas on Skype or something.  That would be productive.  And entertaining.

I presume using ModDB as the main antagonist kart would be too far?

NO.  DO IT.  I will love this game.

#78 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

That's public now.

#79 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, on second thoughts... probably not such a good idea  :smile2ap:. Deleted it.  

#80 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

That could work, of course with us masking the true identity of Moddb :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users