Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

We'll call the main villain Mob DJ, and he has a large group of incompetent and evil Mob'erators.

#82 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

We'll call the main villain Mob DJ, and he has a large group of incompetent and evil Mob'erators.

Sounds like a plan! I support this! :p

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#83 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm with you, too. Actually, you could even have Mod-erators! You know, 'mod' and 'moderators?... Oh, never mind.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#84 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

You're fired.

#85 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

You're fired.

This. :p

#86 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Going to look a bit into making the scripts for managing a vehicle, the class for wheel-physics is available, so it shouldn't be much work. Here's one tutorial right off the bat: http://www.gotow.net...log/?page_id=78

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#87 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

We need people making concept art and doing coding as well.

#88 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Problem is I can do both but not at the same time :p

I'll focus some of my evening sketching into something halfway relevant

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#89 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

It was more of an open invitation for someone else to offer their services... Fell.  You should get some concept art done of the carts and characters. 

#90 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Unity eh? Are there any restrictions to using Unity as the engine for the game? (Just wondering, since I've never really looked into Unity, even though game-lab groups at my school are allowed to use it nowadays..) :p

It's C# right?

Currently at school I do C++, but perhaps, if i manage to find the time, I could help you guys out with the programming... (just minor syntax differences between C++ and C# if I'm not mistaken)

Edited by Ridder Geel, 21 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Ridder Geel

#91 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Well I once wanted to make a typical 2D sidescontrolling shooter about a Commando that's about to defeat an evil terrorist group when the leader tries to make a quick escape through his time machine. The player damages the machine thus taking him back in time too, before the terrorist group emerged (the force of traveling through time also tears off his limbs, so he gets rebuilt as a cyborg). He then obviously knows what the group is gonna try to do and has to stop them through a series of incredibly fun and challenging levels, I supposed inspired by Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage. You fight through jungle, streets, airships and lastly on a disintegrating nuclear rocket ship.

Then obviously was thinking about endless sequels (needs to be a series with at least 4 entries), fighting aliens and stuff. Could actually use the time travel element by stealing the Sonic CD idea and have 3 versions of each level at different places in time which you flick between.

Edited by OmegaBolt, 21 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#92 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well Bolty, that idea would be awesome if it was really fast paced and stupid hard.  Have some Braid mechanics with time alteration nonsense while having the athletic capabilities of a rob'it.  I can see the headlines now, "Harder than Meatboy... More money too."  That's what Clark Kent would say... but still think most people are adamant towards their kart nonsense.  Cuz we're all selfish and prefer to make things that involve ourselves. 

Currently at school I do C++, but perhaps, if i manage to find the time, I could help you guys out with the programming... (just minor syntax differences between C++ and C# if I'm not mistaken)

Well when you do get the time, sign up for our project.  Like I said, we're not going to put up with quitters or slackers.

#93 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Ah, had another idea, which this time could make things a little easier, faster-paced and more fun. I thought, about this project, that it's a little too similar to other racing car/kart games, and seems to be very akin to Mariokart, if you've ever played it. Thus, to differentiate ours, I came up with the idea of having, well, flying karts, more like hovering ships than standard vehicles. As I said, it would be theoretically easier to do, because instead of wheels for motion, you can just have a strong particle emitter like that of a rocket behind it which increases or decreases depending on speed.

This also means, we could make faster levels in canyons and forests, where at such speeds, you can butt each other out of the way and into walls, where they proceed to be destroyed (and respawn after a couple of seconds into a little parking lot just off to the side of the level, from which they can re-enter the race).

Thus, we could theme the whole game into a cross between, as Pasidon seems obsessed about, retro 80s style and maybe the whole propaganda-like presentation of Starship Troopers. And, if needs be, I can write backgrounds for the race, its participants, ET/foreign invented languages or general complex histories. And, of course, concept art.

You can disregard it if you wish, just thought it'd be a good idea. Or suggestion, before we get into proper development.

#94 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

All right, let's get some points straight>
a.k.a LET'S GET THIS FREAKING SHOW ON THE ROAD.

Characters - who will be in the game (suggestion):

- Pas
- Fell
- Phill
- Hostile
- GenKen
- duke

- Mathjis

---For their art, I'd suggest we use Pas's drawings at the Grand Revorian Portrait Board.
@Pas: If you could create model sheets - isometric front, and side drawings on scale -, that would be awesome.

Karts - we'll start with just one kart model - like the standard MarioKart version, after they are all done and ready, then we can start thinking about other designs.

Tracks/circuits - here we can go very creative. We could have some levels based in a forum board with enemies as spammers and stuff. Our main antagonist, Mob DJ.

Discuss!!!!

#95 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I guess the guy who thought of the idea to create a community-driven game won't get included, eh? :(

I'll come up with some concepts for cars. I like Fellbeast's idea, so they won't have wheels.

Also, I'm sorry, but I'm not a big fan of Pasidon's art style, so I would have to vote against that. Also, generally, I'd say there is no need to indulge ourselves in creating personal 'avatars' yet, even though it may be fun. Let's first focus on deciding what exactly the concept is, and then look at some designs for vehicles and stages. 

I suppose it's fun to base some 'characters' off of ourselves, but I don't think we should go so far as to create levels and artwork based on a message board aesthetic. I'm sorry, but this sort of stuff, to me, is notoriously un-funny.

Edited by Mathijs, 21 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#96 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Since we're already planning and crap, we should get Phil to make a section for the project (in Unity) so we can split up the topics of work neatly.  We'll just call the game 'Revora Racer' for now so Phil has something to title it.  We can leave this topic open for more ideas, just in case we really come up with a great option for our next project.  I think I heard someone say, 'retro 80's' and 'robots', so we're onto something there.

Also, I'm sorry, but I'm not a big fan of Pasidon's art style

Finally, a voice of clarity.  You're the smartest guy I know, Mati.

#97 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

@Mathijs: I forgot you. :p Just added you ;)

Well... I don't know what could we use to base our designs then... Pas had a nice start... I'm not a good drawer, myself.

#98 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Instead of having a bird faced dumb-dumb just randomly make up concept art, you could ask the people you're putting into the game what they want their characters to look like.  And I can work on the concept 'art', but we don't have to reflect the actual game off of the style I do it in.  In my opinion, the cartoony style (cell shaded / low poly / smooth HD ) would be our best selling point anyway.

#99 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Tracks/circuits - here we can go very creative. We could have some levels based in a forum board with enemies as spammers and stuff. Our main antagonist, Mob DJ.

Uh.... yeah, I'm with Mathijs on this. Whilst I think it's an intuitive idea, it's ... not much for eye-candy, in my opinion. I personally would go for a naturally-scened racing track style, maybe with forum-like features or UI. What I had in mind earlier, though you're free to contest it, is a very destructible and destructive environment which is rather like a curvy desert-stone maze, with occasional larger areas with clumps of trees, for one of the maps.

#100 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Don't think a natural style would be as interesting unless this was a genuine racing simulator, which I very much doubt it would be. I think having cool, fun themed tracks would be much more enjoyable to play and create. Some kind of cyberspace track would be cool, maybe of Revora or just a generic forum type environment. You could have tracks on other planets or even in space on giant orbital racing platforms.

Maybe combat elements would be great, like shields, rockets/lasers etc and powerups. You could have some environments with interactive elements like tornadoes, maybe firewall defences in a cyberspace track, asteroids in space or aliens on other planets. :p

Edited by OmegaBolt, 21 January 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users