1144 replies to this topic

#201 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Well it's got a good number now, and anyway, it's probably best to put in the heroes who were notable in the 3rd Age. It would be cool to see some soldiers of Gondolin though :ohmy:.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#202 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:06 PM

As I said before, I like Gondolin, but I don't think that a lot of Gondolin Elves survived after the Morgoth's attack. I'm not sure, but it was less that 1000. I have to find Silmarillion.

Edit: OK, I can't find the concrete number, but how many Elves could pass by the mountains, in snow and cold?

Edited by swan, 14 December 2006 - 03:15 PM.

#203 Núkumnëhtar

Núkumnëhtar

Humbled Warrior

• Project Team
  • 342 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance, Celeglin's Elven Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member; Coder/Audio Editor/Novice Mapper/Rare-time-skinner

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:07 AM

The exact number is unknown, but 800-2000 is a good range estimate.
Posted Image

#204 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:35 AM

The exact number is unknown, but 800-2000 is a good range estimate.

well, well, well. look who comes back out of the blue ^_^ . what brings you here anyway Núkumnëhtar? :p
Posted Image

#205 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,438 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

spam...?

anyways, before you start on this mod Cel, take a break ;)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#206 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

Yeah, you deserve it.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#207 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:18 AM

What about a new arrow upgrade for the Elves? Sorta like EA's Silverthorn arrows, i.e. they have a knock-back effect. It doesn't seem right Elves using fire around their forest dwellings, so maybe change that factor.
Posted Image

#208 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

I like this idea - fire arrows don't suit Elves. But I'm afraid that making other arrow type would bring a lot of problems with balance. Which type of damage could they deal?
So probably Elven arrows won't change.

And about arrows: don't you think that Elves should shoot more accurate? Is it possible to reduce the heroes dodge effect (agains Elven arrows)?

#209 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,438 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

if he changed the fire effect away, he could still have the same damage on the new one.... duh...

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#210 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:20 PM

To those who said fire arrows don't suit Elves:

As soon as the host of their enemies was dense in the valley, they sent against it a shower of arrows, and each flickered as it fled as if with stinging fire.

- The Hobbit, The Clouds Burst

That alone should be enough to justify fire arrows for elves IMO.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#211 Ecthelion

Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

Never previously heard that quote, and it does seem to imply they had fire arrows. I think some of the elven units having a single use ability to lob a weapon like a glaive towards an enemy would be quite cool :p

#212 Gherrick

Gherrick

Drunken Bastard

• Project Team
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

To those who said fire arrows don't suit Elves:

As soon as the host of their enemies was dense in the valley, they sent against it a shower of arrows, and each flickered as it fled as if with stinging fire.

- The Hobbit, The Clouds Burst

That alone should be enough to justify fire arrows for elves IMO.

It was a metaphor !! "AS IT FLED AS IF WITH STINGING FIRE" AS IF WITH not WITH....I would give them some sort of wounding arrow (orange FX and mooore damage) but its Celeg's mod so I can't complain about Fire Arrows.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#213 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

Yes and the whole balrog wings thing was a metaphor, yet many people still include that.

My point was, that there was an undeniable quote linking elven arrows to fire. There is nothing else anywhere (as far as I know) that contradicts that, and says that they had magical arrows which knocked back enemies.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#214 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:07 AM

About Gildor...if ya'll want to, we (as in Cel) could use the GW representation of him:
Scroll down a bit...
Powers-wise, he has an ability in the SBG, where he can 'Transfix' Enemies, rooting them to the spot. I think this could well within TEA, perhaps a small area instead of one unit, yes?
Also, I'm afraid that I blatantly don't like the idea of him fightin' with a staff. If you look at the afore-mentioned model, he uses a rather unique Elf Blade, more like a rapier than a two-handed weapon.
This is just the ramblings of a newcomer, so pay me no heed if you will.

#215 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:52 AM

Well Glorfindel (armoured), Erestor and Thranduil look awesome. Aside from that, well, Gildor doesn't look to bad with a sword. Looks like a nice idea, however, we can't be sure that those things are accurate.

Anyway, about the whole Elven arrow thing: first, knock-back is not necessarily magical, the arrow just hits the enemy with a hell of a lot of force; second, think about it, people living in a forest using fire as a weapon :thumbsupsmiley:; third, the 'arrows flickering with fire' thing is a metaphor, nothing more; and finally, I'm sure that Tolkien (though I'm not speaking on his behalf) wouldn't have created a huge, flaming monster without wings. It would look pretty stupid without them.
Posted Image

#216 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, it might just mean the light reflecting off them.......
But I'm not saying to change it, that would take a lot of work(maybe :thumbsupsmiley: )

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#217 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:31 AM

About Gildor...if ya'll want to, we (as in Cel) could use the GW representation of him:
Scroll down a bit...

That's kinda close to what my ideas were for him. I'll probably be using some elements from both my Rivendell clothing designs as well as some from the Sentinels.

Powers-wise, he has an ability in the SBG, where he can 'Transfix' Enemies, rooting them to the spot. I think this could well within TEA, perhaps a small area instead of one unit, yes?

Elrond's Vilya ability already does this.

Also, I'm afraid that I blatantly don't like the idea of him fightin' with a staff. If you look at the afore-mentioned model, he uses a rather unique Elf Blade, more like a rapier than a two-handed weapon.

That's alright if you don't like it. My problems with giving him a sword, however, lie in the fact that every Elven hero I've made (bar Galadriel) wields a sword. Furthermore, I don't want Gildor to be a particularly powerful attacking hero. I want to focus on him being more of a disrupter/support hero. Lastly, I just wanted to make it clear that he'll be wielding a quarterstaff, not a Gandalf/Saruman-style staff.

Well Glorfindel (armoured), Erestor and Thranduil look awesome. Aside from that, well, Gildor doesn't look to bad with a sword. Looks like a nice idea, however, we can't be sure that those things are accurate.

I actually hate their Thranduil. The other's aren't bad.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#218 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:32 AM

Well, the staff looked nice :thumbsupsmiley:. The two things I don't like about him are the armour and the face. The face doesn't suit him at all, whereas the armour just looks bleh. The green on him looks nice, but could be contrasted with a little black or a darker shade of green. The sword is the highlight there. Anyway, now I'm rambling.

Oh and one more thing: if you could make Erestor a hero for Rhovanion just like the model they have there that would be, ummm, **gets the thesaurus out to find a synonym for 'awesome'**, great? Splendid? Perfect? You get my drift.
Posted Image

#219 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

I wouldn't say a staff would be suitable for Gildor, although a spear definatly would. The vanyar were famed for their skill with spears, so it seems likely that he'd wield one.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#220 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,438 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

GW's Thranduil sucks big time :thumbsupsmiley:
but yeah, as zimoo said, it would be pretty cool if Gildor would wield a spear.. ;)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users