• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 spyVspy

spyVspy
  • Hosted
  • 43 posts
  • Projects:Asylum mod for C&C3

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

I hope they evolved the system to be more intuitive. It sounds like BFME has more complex ini than Generals. I never was involved in any mods for that iteration of Sage.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

BFME's INIs are loads better than those from generals. in Generals, basically they threw every unit from a faction in 1 single file. In BFME they split that into infantry, cavalry, etc. BFME II had more improvement with giving each unit it's own INI, and introducing includes.

This is good news. XML > INI any day (not to mention that it will be soooo easy to make tools that reads the files)
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#23 Mighty BOB!

Mighty BOB!

Deranged Weasel

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:38 AM

So, now that the demo is out, does anyone feel like trying to snoop around the internal files and get some "pre-modding" experience and figure them out? EaW had mods for the demo the day after it came out.
WOL nick: migtybob

We are living in a post-common sense society.

#24 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:14 AM

The BIG files appear to have changed just enough that FinalBig and other editors don't work. There are also a bunch of files that have no apparent meaning. I'm hoping it's just FinalBig mucking up the data, but it's hard to know.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#25 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,046 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:29 AM

FinalBIG works, but some of the files were propositally encrypted.

If you browse the files inside the DemoData.big, you'll see that some of them are readable or legible and some of the tga files displays fine...
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#26 Mighty BOB!

Mighty BOB!

Deranged Weasel

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:45 AM

Someone on IRC said XCC Mixer still works on the .bigs. I'm still only at 51% of the download so I can't test anything myself yet.

#27 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,046 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:08 AM

Just tested XCC Utilities 1.45 here with the C&C3 demo and the results are the same from FinalBIG. The good thing from XCC is that it separates the legible files from the illegible ones.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#28 Mighty BOB!

Mighty BOB!

Deranged Weasel

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:33 AM

Are some of the files "encrypted" or just "compressed"?

#29 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

I don't know exactly. It can be encrypted or compressed. I wouldn't discard any possibility.

Considering the name of some files that ends with .cddata, I wouldn't discard encryption, but since some of the words is somewhat readable, do not discard compression either.
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#30 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

I extracted one of the unreadable TGA files, and took a look at it in a hex editor, and it is quite close to a TGA file, but it's not entirely right. The header seems a little bit off, and there is some junk before the start. I don't know if it's because of slight changes in the BIG format or if they aren't really TGA files, but some sort of compressed or encrypted format. In DataStreams.big I somewhat suspect that the cdata files are some sort of serialized object. If it had strings it would explain that certain bits are readable while the rest is garbage. There are also some entries in the gi.dat file that suggest some form of protection (there are two GUIDs with labels like ProtectionGUID or ProtectGUID).
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#31 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:31 AM

Someone has made a decompressor for BIG4!
Check http://www.ppmsite.com to download it.
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#32 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hey folks, I've made a program to view the new .BIG files. OS BIG Editor is available at PPM. We'll also host it here once I make it even more user friendly.

Posted Image
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#33 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,438 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:19 PM

more userfriendly?

you mean like it doesn't shrink when you make it larger manually? :) resizing the screen made the window where the files are become smaller, and go away :grin:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#34 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

finally, a FinalBIG alternative, which we can give input about. very nice :grin:

i mean, it does work for BFME, right?

some tips in advance (haven't tested it yet - going to):
- when you add files, always be able to specify the directory in the BIG where it should go
- or, make a real (optional?) directory view, ala WinRAR / Explorer
- allow selecting/unpacking multiple files at once (not just single file/all files)
- allow turning off preview. sometimes you just want to extract a file of 10MB, and not wait for it to load in the preview :)
- allow it to be run with commandline arguments, so we can for example automate our mod packing with a batch file

and feel free to post this program in the The3rdAge news :grin:
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#35 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:24 AM

finally, a FinalBIG alternative, which we can give input about. very nice :grin:

i mean, it does work for BFME, right?

Yes, it's suposed to work with BfME1 and 2.

some tips in advance (haven't tested it yet - going to):
- when you add files, always be able to specify the directory in the BIG where it should go
- or, make a real (optional?) directory view, ala WinRAR / Explorer

The second idea is very interesting. I'll try to implement it later.

- allow selecting/unpacking multiple files at once (not just single file/all files)

Beta 0.4 that I'm about to release can extract all the files that you have selected at once instead of 1 by 1....

- allow turning off preview. sometimes you just want to extract a file of 10MB, and not wait for it to load in the preview :)

Good idea, although it doesn't have a preview yet.

- allow it to be run with commandline arguments, so we can for example automate our mod packing with a batch file

and feel free to post this program in the The3rdAge news :grin:

Version 0.4 will accept as parameter the .BIG file that you want to open, so you can associate .BIG files with it. And, I'll post a news about it once 0.4 is released.
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#36 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:45 AM

Version 0.4 will accept as parameter the .BIG file that you want to open, so you can associate .BIG files with it.

good, but i meant something like:
bigeditor.exe Mod.big -add D:\supermod\data\ini\* ini\*
bigeditor.exe Mod.big -rem data\audio\*
bigeditor.exe Mod.big -create D:\supermod\data\* *
bigeditor.exe Mod.big -update D:\supermod\data\art\* art\*

#37 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

Topic moved - it seems more suited to the Editing forum rather than the general one.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#38 stack111

stack111

born with rags, on the road to riches

• Hosted
  • 464 posts
  • Projects:Zero Hour Mod Conquer or Die

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

so u guys are saying that there is a possibility were gonna have to edit the actual .w3x in xml? cuz that makes no sense to me :xcahik_:
i would understand if u meant edit the objects(ini that is) using xml
Posted Image
"The great questions of the day will not be decided by speeches and resolutions but by blood and iron" Otto Von Bismarck

#39 Master Windu

Master Windu

The Master.

• Advisors
  • 2,150 posts
  • Projects:Galaxy at War, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:03 PM

I think that you won't have to, but you can edit things like hiding subobjects, making texture changes, big but not huge changes to the model. I don't see how you can move vertices or something from an XML.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,438 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

I agree on that one...

it sounds nice ;) if it's like that...