Photo

New Ring Heroes? Debate - Movies v/s Books

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
428 replies to this topic

Poll: Should S.E.E. have new Ring Heroes for each faction? (113 member(s) have cast votes)

Good Factions

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Evil Factions

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#401 verd

verd
  • Banned
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

it would be cool if you could make sauron a bit stronger - he swings his mace too slowly IMO - in the film he swung it pretty quickly and also horizontally, not just vertically - i know that would make him a bit overpowered but he IS sauron - in the film everybody was too afraid to hit him, they just stood there while he knocked entire batallions out of the way - so maybe he could have a passive fear-inducing ability too that makes it difficult for armies to get close to him

i'm just throwing ideas out there atm, but it would definitely be cool to make him a bit stronger =)

quoted in the hopes that it wont get unceremoniously ignored this time

#402 aNaRcHiSt44

aNaRcHiSt44
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • Projects:Nothin.... XD LAZINESS RULES!!
  •  Member? Whatev

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:47 AM

THat would concern balance issues I'm afraid (I think), I mean; he has tonnes of health, and from what I've seen, he has a massive armour value too. Heroes with the same amount of health as him generally die about three times as fast. Also, he already has a massive area-of-effect attack that can pretty much kill entire armies, coupled with his fear-shockwave ability and his destruction ability. Raising his cost higher would still keep him unbalanced. True to the movies=definitely, and it's a great idea too :mellow: Fair on the enemy=no. He'll come out eventually no matter what happens basically due to the defensive style of SEE, then what will be able to stop him? By hismelf, he can ravage pretty much everything, but with an army at his back he would be totally unstoppable.

Again, great idea and I rather like it because I love Sauron, but still, in terms of game balance, I'm not sure.
After all this time, I decided I'd start playing BFME 2 again; after all, it's one of the few games I keep coming back to.....even three-four years after it was made.....
Anyway, my computer has been upgraded; it's just a graphics card, but it's a HD Radeon 4870. How's that for gaming love? I can run Crysis on high at 60fps, maybe at highest (I haven't checked) and the rest of my computer is still actually pretty good; so I'm happy.

Anarchy is so stupid......see IM A REBEL!

Im a lover of footy now, and I can't wait to watch Jarryd Hayne the superhuman and Fuifui Moimoi the tongan bulldozer play in the Four Nations cup. WOOT Hindmarsh is gonna play for Australia now, even with a broken shoulder! Woot he's crazy.

#403 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

I just read the parts about TB in FotR. It says he was not affected by the ring BECAUSE he did not want power at all. He also could not control nature, or the trees of the forest. This really doesn't fit with him as a ring hero. The Ring wouldn't give him any extra power, nor does he want it.
Greetings, community.

#404 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:02 AM

He couldn't control nature? He managed to make the Old Man Willow let go of the hobbits.

No, the Ring wouldn't give him extra power, but please deal with it. He's only a temporary fix, and will be changed later. :evgr:

#405 kraken

kraken
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

I just read the parts about TB in FotR. It says he was not affected by the ring BECAUSE he did not want power at all. He also could not control nature, or the trees of the forest. This really doesn't fit with him as a ring hero. The Ring wouldn't give him any extra power, nor does he want it.

To be honest, with all the good factions you'll have the problem about the ring heroes as pretty much all the heroes who could have wielded it rejected it (Aragorn, Galadrial and Gandalf to name but 3). Okay, the idea of a novelty ring hero is appealing (something like Samwise the Brave) but possibly not the most powerful or useful (Sam against Sauron? Obviously too weighted in Sam's favour). If it is a quick fix, then Tom probably is better than a corrupted Galadrial though (hey, if she becomes corrupted why not go further and have an evil, all powerful Gandalf for men?)

Do like the idea of the good factions destroying the ring, either to make it game over or to cripple any of the evil factions. Another thought though, what about the ring "hero" being the remaining members of the Fellowship for the factions? So you get the ring back to your base, and after the timer ends you have under your control the entire fellowship of the ring (with Frodo holding onto it) with all the members at level 10 and, if they are reasonably close to each other, with a heavy attribute increase so you are rewarded for using them as a group rather than just 9 random heroes (they did fight pretty well together). Of course, doing so is reasonably risky as Frodo isn't the strongest hero out there and there is the real possibility of him being killed and you losing the ring.

Still has problems though. It makes the Men faction's ring hero very weak (wow, you get 1 elf, 1 dwarf and some hobbits...) and it still feels very much second best compared to Sauron (rather than close to even). Still, it avoids having a corrupt hero on the good sides and gives the player a group that would be very hard to defeat (the hobbits throwing rocks, Legolas shooting arrows and the resting fighting the enemy with swords/axes, keeping the orcs off the more vulnerable characters behind) whilst keeping it closer to the books and film.

Sorry if this has been said before, but I really don't have enough time to read through 21 pages on a thread.

#406 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

IIRC, Tom singed a song to let the tree let go of the hobbits :evgr: He singed it asleep..

Anyways, my point in having Tom as the good guys' ring hero, is because he is the only one who can't be corrupted by it... He shouldn't get any super powers, but should manage well in battle, but he shouldn't be any match against Sauron of course :evgr: Just a strong little hero for the good guys..

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#407 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Exactly =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#408 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

Just like Galadrial was no match for Sauron - Tom shouldn't be either. He should be 'powerful' when compared to the other hero's but I doubt the team is trying to replace Sauron or Saruman here.

So no worries dude ^^

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

But in the heart of its power lies weakness...

It takes but a single candle to hold it back...

Love is more then a candle...

Love can ignite the stars.

#409 Guest_Kando_*

Guest_Kando_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Isildur as good ring hero can be good.

#410 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Apart from the fact he's long dead.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#411 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Isildur is worse than Galadriel. She resisted the Ring's temptation, he utterly failed it.

#412 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:16 PM

Why do you need the ring to get Tom than? It wouldn't even make him more powerful, though he would be good to protect the ring until you could destroy it. He would have been a good addition to the fellowship, if he ever left his territory.
Greetings, community.

#413 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

Think of him as a ring guardian rather than a ring hero - since they can't script in a 'ring destruction bonus' thing it makes more sense just to use Tom until they've worked out a new script

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

#414 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:26 AM

very good point. :)

#415 Lt Commander Chris

Lt Commander Chris
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  •  Head Coder and Jack-of-Most-Trades, Ultimate Empire at War

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

This is a hard one, but I would like to posit a suggestion...

Have a choice of who you give the ring to. Obviously for Mordor, the only option is Sauron, but for Isengard choose between Saruman and Sauron, and for the good factions, if you can identify 2-3 viable and serious people who could bear the ring in battle, let you choose but one of them from the list - possibly existing heroes, but when you have the ring in the fortress, give the option to recruit which you want, then the one which you don't choose can be again recruited normally...?
LTCC
Head Coder and Jack of Most Trades, Ultimate Empire at War

#416 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

I think, for the good factions only, we could have the option of giving the ring to one of the current heroes (recruitable from the fortress). This would be a one-off upgrade to the hero making him slightly stronger and with a knockback effect. Maybe, a slight FX aura surrounding them and if you give the ring to Galadriel (without ring version) she becomes the storm queen with the proper skin and new powers.

Basically, that way, any good hero can carry the ring and the hero's power timers, strenght, speed and defence etc. would be increased or decreased to make him a really strong hero, a kind of guardian of the ring. But for all evil factions, sauron should be the only one.
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#417 Guest_Predi_*

Guest_Predi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

I have a "movielike" suggestion. If a good faction has the ring they must destroy it, so when its in your fortress, then you just guard it, but you have an option to destroy it by sending all your heroes out, like the fellowship.Then all your heroes would return to the fortress and then leave the screen. They would be away for maybe 10-15 minutes, but when they return ALL of them would be level 10, because of the "adventures they took part in". So that would be a huge boost to your army but also dangerous when all of your heroes away and you have to hold out only with your army. I think it's a very good idea, but could be very hard to code. Anyway, I think this is the most loyal to the nature of the Ring. I gladly hear any objections, but I think this is the best solution.

#418 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

I have a "movielike" suggestion. If a good faction has the ring they must destroy it, so when its in your fortress, then you just guard it, but you have an option to destroy it by sending all your heroes out, like the fellowship.Then all your heroes would return to the fortress and then leave the screen. They would be away for maybe 10-15 minutes, but when they return ALL of them would be level 10, because of the "adventures they took part in". So that would be a huge boost to your army but also dangerous when all of your heroes away and you have to hold out only with your army. I think it's a very good idea, but could be very hard to code. Anyway, I think this is the most loyal to the nature of the Ring. I gladly hear any objections, but I think this is the best solution.

I think that would be a bit weird because that means that you could only get the ring once, and what if you find the ring and you have no heroes?

Maybe, a variation of your idea, like when the good factions get the ring, a mini volcano type thing :blush: pops up near your enemy base and you have to deliver it to the volcano whilst your enemy guards it. Except, I doubt any of that would be possible... But we can all dream! :ohmy:
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#419 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:09 AM

Only problem is that most of those suggestions require coding skills that nearly all the coders on this forum lack ^^;

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

#420 Hermoor

Hermoor

Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  • Projects:Tom Bombadil [game]
  •  Black sheep

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

but he shouldn't be any match against Sauron of course wink.gif Just a strong little hero for the good guys..

That wouldn't be very balanced would it? And still, why should Sauron be so uber powered. He isn't the strongest spirit in middle earth. There are hidden things like for example Tom that has lived since the creation of the world. Maybe he did create it? Maybe he was one of illuvatars servants or maybe he is middle earth? We don't know, but the fact that he has lived since the first rain drop, Sauron hasn't...makes him definately more powerful than Sauron.

He doesn't even want the ring, he isn't affected by it. This means he is more powerful than Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel and even Sauron. Because Sauron was also coruppted and needs the ring. Tom makes it dissapear!? If you replace galadriel with Tom, he should be at least as powerful as Sauron. If not more powerful...
This is just a suggestion...the text above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users